Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I want to read a story where the main character is reincarnated into a mmo, but it's an actual mmo where nobody really gives a poo poo about levels or gear except for like the 1% of players in top guilds and everyone else is just loving around.

e: "My godlike secret class makes me invincible, but griefers keep making dick statues outside my castle".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Reincarnated into Ultima Online, can you kill Lord British?

e: I cannot remember what manga it was from but I remember at the end of some chapter the author put in one of those little asides about how they used to enjoy playing Ultima Online and would walk around handing out free wood with a sign that said "Wood For You", does anyone know wtf Im talking about?

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 15, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mulva posted:

I want to read a story where the main character is reincarnated into a mmo, but it's an actual mmo where nobody really gives a poo poo about levels or gear except for like the 1% of players in top guilds and everyone else is just loving around.

e: "My godlike secret class makes me invincible, but griefers keep making dick statues outside my castle".
I don't even know of an MMO webnovel where anybody doesn't take MMOs super seriously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read a single chapter of a wn about a mmo gm who got sent to a game world with his gm powers. most of the chapter was about how players weren't playing the game right, such as a giant orc player taking some edgelord nimble assassin class and how it lacked dignity. you could smell what a whiny turd the writer was through the screen.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

I don't even know of an MMO webnovel where anybody doesn't take MMOs super seriously.

Well, aside from the reluctant protagonist on occasion.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There needs to be one where the MC gets a really overpowered class that just gets nerfed to poo poo the next time the developers release a patch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The MC finds a totally bullshit item that makes him invincible, but several hundred Russian money launderers and a bunch of Triads bought items that made them triple invincible from the pay shop.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I like the web novels that go on long tangents about how PVPers are terrible people. Several novels I've read have mentioned, early on, how players who initiate combat with other players without consent are treated as outcasts.

One of them was detailing his super unique territory claiming mechanic and then had an aside about how all invasions were done with the consent of both kingdoms. I'm not sure why players would consent to their kingdoms being invaded by much larger, more powerful kingdoms, but it had to have happened for one nation to take over the entire playable world.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna give a shout out to Kono Sekai ga game da to, ore dake ga shitte iru “. Guy gets reincarnated into a game, but the problem is that the game is really terribly designed and full of bugs and sudden ways to die. There’s OP techniques that were patched out, there’s RNG manipulation, etc. It’s like AGDQ in bad webnovel form.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

Actually this isn't fair, in Moonlight Sculptor the protagonist has spent several volumes beating up the super-serious elite guild that controls most of the game with a combination of abusing his incredibly overpowered class abilities and rallying tens of millions of low-level casuals who don't care about dying against them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 16, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was also a different wn i read one chapter of with the default plot of a guy finding himself in an mmo he played turned into a real world, but prior to the in-game history he knew. there are like 5 of those being translated, i think? the big thing that stuck out was that he knew that soon every single magic class in the world would be nerfed for purely story reasons, thus making them permanently inferior to every non-magic class. that was so profoundly silly that i didn't continue reading. of course, since it was a crappy wn the mc didn't respond by going balls in on magic anyway because that would require writing him with a personality.

also, since it was a chinese wn the mc stole some guy's body and identity like usual. chinese isekai stories are so weird about that.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The Tutorial Is Too Hard is updating with a new translator... who appears to be poorly editing MTLs, making the story much less readable. They aren’t even bothering with the skill blocks, giving us wonderful skill names like “Ignite of Boju” and “Basic Trapezoidectomy”. This is a real shame, I was actually kind of enjoying the story. It has an overpowered protagonist, but it puts him through some really difficult situations that his amazing battle prowess can’t actually solve immediately.

Oh well, that’s WNs!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

Only Sense Online

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

blastron posted:

Oh well, that’s WNs!

It's always great when a series is dropped and picked up by somebody who may just be running everything through a Japanese -> ??? -> English machine translation. Like, sometimes I don't think a straight machine translation could result in such unreadable grammar.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think having a crappy translator pick up dropped series is far worse than simply leaving them incomplete. you never know, someone might eventually pick up a dropped series and do it well, but there is much less enthusiasm for re-translations in general.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tamba posted:

Only Sense Online

OSO is great. The only niggle I have with it is how everyone views the skill with attack and defense buffs you can cast on anyone a low tier skill. It'd be so mandatory in a raid group in an actual MMO, but somehow the MC is the only one using it.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I thought you had to use the Eagle Eye skill from archery to cast it on other people. Archery is considered really bad so people don’t bother. I really appreciate that the protagonist doesn’t give a poo poo about min maxing or profits, just hanging out with their friends.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cynic Jester posted:

OSO is great. The only niggle I have with it is how everyone views the skill with attack and defense buffs you can cast on anyone a low tier skill. It'd be so mandatory in a raid group in an actual MMO, but somehow the MC is the only one using it.

brainwrinkle posted:

I thought you had to use the Eagle Eye skill from archery to cast it on other people. Archery is considered really bad so people don’t bother. I really appreciate that the protagonist doesn’t give a poo poo about min maxing or profits, just hanging out with their friends.

The reason it is/was viewed as a garbage skill is that without another, also uncommon, skill you're basically limited to casting on people within arms reach. This makes it conflicting because backliners wouldn't want to be in arms reach of anything except other people in the back line, but front line people would be less effective at casting magic and would also have to give up other skills to take it. It just happens that the MC took all the skills required and they happen to work together well to a point where none of them are really wasted SP. This is a common theme for...basically every "bad" skill

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm looking for recommendations now. I've torn through most of the OP. Here's my list of Novel Updates if it helps. https://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uid=103000

I read a bit of Everyone Else is a Returnee, and I think I might have liked it if the translation wasn't completely unreadable the whole way through. Had to drop it though. I'm going through The Girl Who Ate a Death God currently and am almost finished, it's been quite good in a macabre sort of way. I put aside Realist Hero because the start wasn't that interesting, but I could pick it up again if it gets good later. And that's pretty much where I'm at.

Note: I don't really find MMO stories very appealing, so unless it's particularly unique, I'm not interested in that particular subcategory.

Hopefully you have some good ones. I'd love some more stuff to waste time on.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm looking for recommendations now. I've torn through most of the OP. Here's my list of Novel Updates if it helps. https://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uid=103000

I read a bit of Everyone Else is a Returnee, and I think I might have liked it if the translation wasn't completely unreadable the whole way through. Had to drop it though. I'm going through The Girl Who Ate a Death God currently and am almost finished, it's been quite good in a macabre sort of way. I put aside Realist Hero because the start wasn't that interesting, but I could pick it up again if it gets good later. And that's pretty much where I'm at.

Note: I don't really find MMO stories very appealing, so unless it's particularly unique, I'm not interested in that particular subcategory.

I shill Raptor Wife at every opportunity.

I remember liking the first few volumes of magic otaku if you're into otome villainess reincarnations.

In the same vein, though I'm not very far in, Tensei Oujo.

And Eliza.

There's a few other works by the author of The Girl Who Ate Death.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 17, 2018

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think having a crappy translator pick up dropped series is far worse than simply leaving them incomplete. you never know, someone might eventually pick up a dropped series and do it well, but there is much less enthusiasm for re-translations in general.

Yeah it's really the worst. I mean while I sort of appreciate the effort involved (even just copy/pasting and editing any formatting errors is probably a fairly substantial time investment) on the other hand it's like ...it's 2018 - everyone has google translate. If you can't improve on that, why are you even bothering?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mulva posted:

Due to game bugs, the reincarnated protagonist is stuck in the Goldshire Inn.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Myriad Truths posted:

Common sense has a prequel series about the mother https://www.novelupdates.com/series/common-sense-of-a-warrior/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I decided to give I Shall Seal the Heavens a go and got to, like, the middle of Book 1. The sect was disbanded and our plucky hero who solves every problem by duping xp-granting items just reaches Qi 7. My question, the rest of the story is like this as well, right? It doesn't turn into a slice-of-life comedy about running an interdimensional tavern, which is what the people actually like about the story when they recommend it, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sadly, only about a quarter of issth is devoted to shenanigans. those parts are real good, but most of the rest is more or less standard murder hobo stuff.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Megazver posted:

So I decided to give I Shall Seal the Heavens a go and got to, like, the middle of Book 1. The sect was disbanded and our plucky hero who solves every problem by duping xp-granting items just reaches Qi 7. My question, the rest of the story is like this as well, right? It doesn't turn into a slice-of-life comedy about running an interdimensional tavern, which is what the people actually like about the story when they recommend it, right?

You've still got some excellent shenanigans ahead but at some point it devolves into something of a cycle of scam/steal stuff, piss someone powerful off doing so, murder lots of people and that guy a lot, and probably a bunch of secondary people too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Now that A Will Eternal exists I would just recommend that instead of ISSTH.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I can't say it's bad by any means, but I must admit it's starting to bore me. I think I've derived all the enjoyment I ever will out of it, so I'll move on to something else.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A Will Eternal is actually legitimately funny so far, mainly because Bai Xiaochun is a much better protagonist than literally any other xianxia protagonist. I've not read since chapter 300 or so though, so maybe that's changed.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Megazver posted:

I can't say it's bad by any means, but I must admit it's starting to bore me. I think I've derived all the enjoyment I ever will out of it, so I'll move on to something else.

You should read until the end of book 1.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SerSpook posted:

A Will Eternal is actually legitimately funny so far, mainly because Bai Xiaochun is a much better protagonist than literally any other xianxia protagonist. I've not read since chapter 300 or so though, so maybe that's changed.

Yeah, I gave that a go and it's more to my taste that ISSTH. I guess I don't really enjoy the wuxia/xianxia tropes straight. Making a typical East Asian low-brow comedy relief character as the main character so far amuses me, though.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

SerSpook posted:

OBJECTION! I present cases of My Disciple Died Yet Again and Cultivation Chat Group as having just as good, if not better, protagonists.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Once I got a new ipad webnovel.com works much better and even though I don't like quidan its better than some of the alternatives that open a you won a amazon gift card redirects when I just want to read lovely webnovels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
loving volare

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I mean I am already on a tablet so I am getting ads you don't have to have a loving redirect ad that I can't hit x on to close.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I get those too, on my phone, for wuxiaworld. Such a shame it makes the site literally unreadable on mobile.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Would not give a poo poo if it was banner ads on the top and bottom for mobile but no lets have pop ups you can't do anything about and redirects.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

There are adblocker browsers available for mobile, on Android at least, not sure about iDevices. I think ublock is available for the mobile versions of Firefox/chrome too.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

iOS has built-in content filter architecture that let apps plug into Safari to block ads. I use Purify, which is pretty good overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i use a kindle. there are no adblockers for those.