Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have they started putting shirts on the soi dogs again this winter? You know, in case the dogs get cold now that it’s 21C outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm a kindergarten teacher in Japan. My coworkers usually wear cute aprons during the work day (lots of pockets and it hides love handles and buttcrack, A+++ recommended.)

During summer they'll have a long-sleeve hoodie over the shirt and apron for sun protection, and a narrow towel tied around their neck for sweat and sun. This 3-4 layer outfit is topped off with a sports visor that leaves the top of their head totally exposed. Why do they feel so hot?!? :iiam:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Does growing up in government assisted housing in a neighborhood that's predominantly black except for the other Chinese kids count as sheltered now? Boy those people who have dark colored skin sure are wacky and dumb. Who doesn't know that everyone needs to use sunscreen every day?

Chinese farmers with really rough skin and get skin cancer :downsrim:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

For some reason I was under the impression that mainlanders don't often wear sunscreen and instead just make sure they have no exposed skin and walk around with umbrellas and huge hats. I guess they do both to make 100% double sure not a single UV ray hits them? I remember some chinese 40-somethings at the beach sitting next to us all covered up and cowering under umbrellas while everyone else played and had a good time in the sun actually asking us why we weren't worried about the sun and we just shrugged and said something about sunscreen but they replied saying the don't like to use it because there's something in the sunscreen that makes it bad for your health if absorbed. They looked extremely worried every time they saw a kid wearing nothing but trunks or nothing at all being so exposed to the sun, like they had to restrain them selves from scooping the kids up and protecting them under their umbrella.

That interaction plus seeing most mainland tourist making sure none of their body is ever exposed to the sun when outdoors made me think there was some cultural aversion to sun screen, or a lack of trust that it was enough to let them safely wander around in a park for 30 min in scorching 23 degree weather without exploding in flames like a vampire.

maybe someone cheated the chinese sunscreen market like they did with baby formula

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

Have they started putting shirts on the soi dogs again this winter? You know, in case the dogs get cold now that it’s 21C outside.
Yes, before I got here. There's one of the most obese dogs i have ever seen IRL with a tank top on living near me. He's like half my Instagram now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I lived in a condo a couple of years ago near this road with a ton of street vendors on it and there was the world's fattest dog that hung out in the middle of the sidewalk. I don't think anyone could have moved it if they'd tried.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's been back up to like 20 c here in Chengdu so it's one of those fun times where the Chinese are all wearing antarctic gear because January = cold and I'm walking around in a t-shirt because it's super nice out.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I want to see fat tanktop dog :mad:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly whenever I call out westerners on a cold being a virus and being exposed to cold weather at worse weakening your immune system to allow a cold you otherwise would fight off without symptoms to infect you they get just as mad as Asians who don't understand that going to the doctor for a cold doesn't treat the cold at all and is an unnecessary burden on their healthcare system.

growing up dirt poor with no health insurance until I graduated college and got a real job means that I have an iron clad immune system

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bajaj posted:

Yes, before I got here. There's one of the most obese dogs i have ever seen IRL with a tank top on living near me. He's like half my Instagram now.

Oh god please, I need to see fat tank top dog.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Having lived abroad for a long time, I can say that Americans are the least likely people in the world to go see a doctor even when it's dirt cheap. On the one hand this a good thing because then they're not taking a bunch of unnecessary antibiotics, but on the other hand they ignore treatable conditions for months or years because of their aversion to seeking medical help when something isn't literally life-threatening.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Having lived abroad for a long time, I can say that Americans are the least likely people in the world to go see a doctor even when it's dirt cheap. On the one hand this a good thing because then they're not taking a bunch of unnecessary antibiotics, but on the other hand they ignore treatable conditions for months or years because of their aversion to seeking medical help when something isn't literally life-threatening.

yeah, I used to get sick every year in korea (no matter how much kimchi I ate) to where I couldn't swallow and my hearing was going before I'd go to the doctor (stubborn and busy mostly). After a couple years he was like, "Cut this poo poo out or the next time your might go deaf for real."

Baronjutter posted:

Oh god please, I need to see fat tank top dog.

I wonder if it's this one:

http://www.allsiam.net/thailand/2016/06/17/bangkoks-fattest-street-dog/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ladron posted:

yeah, I used to get sick every year in korea (no matter how much kimchi I ate) to where I couldn't swallow and my hearing was going before I'd go to the doctor (stubborn and busy mostly). After a couple years he was like, "Cut this poo poo out or the next time your might go deaf for real."

I wonder if it's this one:

http://www.allsiam.net/thailand/2016/06/17/bangkoks-fattest-street-dog/

That is literally the dog I was talking about.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
As a Canadian, a man of cold winter suffering, I will die before I admit to having a cold even when hacking up fistfuls of sputum, phlegm or blood. Much less even consider seeing a doctor for it

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

As a Canadian, a man of cold winter suffering, I will die before I admit to having a cold even when hacking up fistfuls of sputum, phlegm or blood. Much less even consider seeing a doctor for it

That’s what sucks about living in the Tokyo area. I’m from the US Midwest and winters are mild here but you get used to it and all of a sudden you’re putting on a heavy jacket when it’s like 50 degrees out. So ashamed of myself

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The stupid educational cartoon that my kindergarten son is supposed to watch and do a worksheet on every week is telling us that when it is cold outside, we should drink more water and open the windows when the heat is on. I shut it off at that point again.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Whoops

https://twitter.com/b3108/status/954671111479808001

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Imperialist Dog posted:

The stupid educational cartoon that my kindergarten son is supposed to watch and do a worksheet on every week is telling us that when it is cold outside, we should drink more water and open the windows when the heat is on. I shut it off at that point again.

why do they say to open the windows?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Because combustion heaters produce carbon monoxide if your room is sealed up tight, and idiots don't realise that electricity doesn't.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GotLag posted:

Because combustion heaters produce carbon monoxide if your room is sealed up tight, and idiots don't realise that electricity doesn't.

so yeah good for those people burning coal then

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GotLag posted:

Yep. In Korea it was a government policy in like the 60s because so many people would die in the winter from carbon monoxide, and now it is just "grandma said" with zero comprehension of the science involved so let's waste all this electricity blowing heat out the windows.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That was the worst part of working in Korea. 2pm every day during the winter, all the windows in the school were open.

Ok it was far from the worst part, but it was just one more thing.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Something we should all be angry at China (and probably Taiwan) for:

Spreading their lovely sugary tea shops around parts of Asia and then calling the added cream "cheese." Cheese bubble tea! Matcha with cheese top! JFC, it's cream. That sounds disgusting. One had a section of teas called "cheese tea."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t think I’ve seen that here in Taiwan (in Taipei at least). Taiwan’s worst affront against cheese is this thing you can get in night markets that’s just a whole potato deep-fried and then drowned in molten gas-station nacho cheese and served with cut-up hot dogs, which I mean, would probably be good except only the outside of the potato gets cooked properly so the inner parts are kind of lukewarm and chewy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bajaj posted:

Spreading their lovely sugary tea shops around parts of Asia and then calling the added cream "cheese." Cheese bubble tea! Matcha with cheese top! JFC, it's cream. That sounds disgusting. One had a section of teas called "cheese tea."

You drink half and half.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I love bubble tea and am fine with this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jeoh posted:

You drink half and half.

More commonly known as 'cheese and milk'?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What about that stuff they call "milk" but it's really some kind of gooey cream?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

nickmeister posted:

What about that stuff they call "milk" but it's really some kind of gooey cream?

You mean condensed milk?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeoh posted:

You drink half and half.

Nice memory/callback.

Is this chinese cheese drink some sort of special chinese cream that's a little more cheese like, or have they just lost their minds and are calling anything from a cow thicker than skim milk "cheese" ?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Meanwhile, Japan thinks cheese cake is made with Camembert or even generic sliced cheese.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

peanut posted:

Meanwhile, Japan thinks cheese cake is made with Camembert or even generic sliced cheese.

I can understand. You ever have some really weird “sushi” made with cream cheese?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Apparently this is a thing in Thailand now:

I think it might be a California roll covered in melted cheese on a skillet topped with ikura.
Any experience with this, Bajaj?

Another angle with cross-section:

Escape Addict fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 20, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg lol wtc

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
☑️ Would eat, tho

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I can't think of any dish covered in cheese I wouldn't eat, tbh

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Here's the video of that abomination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPLkBPa0mQ

There's salmon on top of that roll. What's the point of raw salmon pieces if you're just going to cover it in molten cheese and put it in a hot plate? If it was a regular california roll or spider roll, it'd make sense.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bajaj posted:

no one calls that cheese in taiwan.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Escape Addict posted:

Apparently this is a thing in Thailand now:

I think it might be a California roll covered in melted cheese on a skillet topped with ikura.
Any experience with this, Bajaj?

Another angle with cross-section:

HURLSVILLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen that here in Taiwan (in Taipei at least). Taiwan’s worst affront against cheese is this thing you can get in night markets that’s just a whole potato deep-fried and then drowned in molten gas-station nacho cheese and served with cut-up hot dogs, which I mean, would probably be good except only the outside of the potato gets cooked properly so the inner parts are kind of lukewarm and chewy.

It’s definitley a thing in Singapore. I bet it’s around Taiwan but you just haven’t noticed.

https://sethlui.com/liho-cheese-tea-singapore/

Dr.Radical posted:

That’s what sucks about living in the Tokyo area. I’m from the US Midwest and winters are mild here but you get used to it and all of a sudden you’re putting on a heavy jacket when it’s like 50 degrees out. So ashamed of myself

For a lot of people it gonna be worth it just so you don’t get crap about not wearing the “right” clothes for the season anyway.

Lived in Tokyo a decade and the winters are very nice T-shirt weather for me, but in the winter I’d usually get 5+ “aren’t you cold?” comments *every single day*. Even from people who knew me for years.

• Locked thread