Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Also I still think Duke Nukem has a place in modern gaming, full HD 3d remaster of Duke 3d with matchmaking dukematches would be fun as poo poo

this generation doesn't know the fun of having your opponents run into tripmines, them shooting at a fake holoduke, shrinking your opponent and then running around trying to squish them, and freezing them before shattering them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

It's actually ridiculously good. I have heard this opinion from others a few times and it's all them being huge scrubs.

i love hiding and sneaking carefully around a group of clickers while my followers run around frantically bumping into everything each other and the clickers themselves but not getting attacked, really helps with the immersion

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is not something I would consider "core gameplay". Also, would you rather have the AI ruining your stealth poo poo instead? Try playing it on survior or grounded and you'll see how nuanced and versatile the gameplay is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

What makes you like them? Genuinely curious. I don't hate them like a lot of people do but I find them completely unnecessary and not especially fun.

I like the interaction they add to cutscenes. My thing is though, I prefer when failing them doesn’t lead to death, just to a different, maybe less optimal outcome. Like if you miss it it makes the resulting fight slightly harder or w/e.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Magius1337est posted:

Also I still think Duke Nukem has a place in modern gaming, full HD 3d remaster of Duke 3d with matchmaking dukematches would be fun as poo poo

this generation doesn't know the fun of having your opponents run into tripmines, them shooting at a fake holoduke, shrinking your opponent and then running around trying to squish them, and freezing them before shattering them

I think shooters just need more inventive weapons and gadgets back

It's crazy that military sim garbage became so popular and remained popular for so long. Every gun is basically the same except the rate of fire on THIS gun is 10% different or whatever

Give me gravity guns that fling players around or freeze rays or shrink rays or player guided rockets and stuff

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fartbox posted:

I think shooters just need more inventive weapons and gadgets back

It's crazy that military sim garbage became so popular and remained popular for so long. Every gun is basically the same except the rate of fire on THIS gun is 10% different or whatever

Give me gravity guns that fling players around or freeze rays or shrink rays or player guided rockets and stuff

That's much harder to implement effectively, whereas you can make "tactical shooters" with two real classes of gun, OP and garbage-poo poo, and be off to the races.

Unpopular opinion: Tactical shooter quality can be judged overall by whether the shotguns are a good choice or not. If they're not, the entire game is trash.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
The New Super Mario Bros games are mediocre platformers at best. They're actually probably a little below average tbh; this is coming from someone who's played perhaps thousands of 2D platformers. I played NSMB1, NSMB2, and NSMBWii. The fact that so many professional reviewers rate these game highly has created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for me.

On a more positive note, if you want a great modern 2D platformer then try Freedom Planet or Sonic Mania.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

AutumnDDP posted:

The New Super Mario Bros games are mediocre platformers at best. They're actually probably a little below average tbh; this is coming from someone who's played perhaps thousands of 2D platformers. I played NSMB1, NSMB2, and NSMBWii. The fact that so many professional reviewers rate these game highly has created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for me.

On a more positive note, if you want a great modern 2D platformer then try Freedom Planet or Sonic Mania.

Gamergate should have aready created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feelix posted:

Gamergate should have aready created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for you.

For me it mostly created a huge dislike of gamers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are there even thousands of 2D platforms? Wouldn't have thought it'd be that fertile a genre

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

As much as I've heard (and made fun of) gamergate from these forums, I still know nothing about it. I love video games but make a point to stay away from the internet gaming community.

Edit: OK maybe I've played hundreds, or just dozens of platformers. I probably exaggerated a bit; it's my favorite game genre and I've been playing them for ~25 years.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is unpopular, but Odin Sphere Leiftrasir is a masterpiece and easily one of the best games ever created. It's a shame more people don't talk about it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It's actually ridiculously good. I have heard this opinion from others a few times and it's all them being huge scrubs.

dummies who say its bad have never played on high difficulty or played the multiplayer

its a legit solid game with good mechanics, and the decision to make it mostly about semi automatic weapons is genius

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Astyanax (NES) was the original Dark Souls

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Astyanax (NES) was the original Dark Souls

Weird hit boxes and only 6 colors....you're right!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Are there even thousands of 2D platforms? Wouldn't have thought it'd be that fertile a genre

8-bit nostalgia platformers? Hundreds at least, difficult to count.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the n64 sucked and the psx was the better console

ocarina of time ran at 20 fps on the n64

metal gear solid, tomb raider, and spyro the dragon all ran at 30 fps

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
n64 was definitely worse. but mario 64 and ocarina of time were so dang good it almost made up for things. ocarina of time without any guides would last you for years.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
gaming laptops are going to kill consoles

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hahahahaha

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Stream boxes would kill consoles first.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
A $350 laptop can play call of duty well enough

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

A $350 laptop can play call of duty well enough

not any better than a $250 game console

no one is going to sell their $1200 macbook for a garbage Asus or Alienware craptop

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I can't believe consoles are finally gonna die holy poo poo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magius1337est posted:

the n64 sucked and the psx was the better console

ocarina of time ran at 20 fps on the n64

metal gear solid, tomb raider, and spyro the dragon all ran at 30 fps

the n64 was the best sleepover console of all time. psx was better if you only had one friend sleepover at at time i guess

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I wanted to buy a new graphics card today and I heard about the gpu miners driving up graphics card prices and I thought it was a joke or it would only be like a hundred bucks at most

nope

1080tis are like 1200 to 1500 when they came out at like 800 and dropped to 700

people wasting graphics cards to burn electricity over stupid bullshit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Bitcoin killing the pc gaming industry lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

With Dunning-Krugerrands wildly inflating GPU prices at least I get to feel smug satisfaction that the video card I bought last year is currently selling for twice the amount (or more) that I spent for it shortly after launch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

fruit on the bottom posted:

Bitcoin killing the pc gaming industry lol

good

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

AutumnDDP posted:

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
The current Discipline Priest in WoW is my favorite version of the spec, and I've been playing a priest since vanilla. I haven't even touched Holy or Shadow this xpac.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
video games are fun

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

1redflag posted:

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

God those were pretty games

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
A video game shouldn't have more than 15 minutes of cinematics throughout the entire game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Magnitogorsk. posted:

A video game shouldn't have more than 15 minutes of cinematics throughout the entire game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magnitogorsk. posted:

And they should all be skipable and pauseable

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Beyond the Beyond for PS1 is actually a really fun RPG, and I am glad it was my first PS1 RPG.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Subtitles should default to on

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Away all Goats posted:

the n64 was the best sleepover console of all time. psx was better if you only had one friend sleepover at at time i guess

lol this kid was too poor for a multitap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RTS games are still cool and good