Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Those clowns in Congress sure are clowns, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Ive gotta say this, this kind of stuff drives me nuts. They have sex in a theater and then right afterwards, without showering or cleaning off his cum-dick or her washing her genitals from all of their sex fluids, they go straight to dinner? That's loving gross. They're the people eating next to you at Denny's that smell like sex and body fluid and cigarettes and shame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stevoblunt posted:

Ive gotta say this, this kind of stuff drives me nuts. They have sex in a theater and then right afterwards, without showering or cleaning off his cum-dick or her washing her genitals from all of their sex fluids, they go straight to dinner? That's loving gross. They're the people eating next to you at Denny's that smell like sex and body fluid and cigarettes and shame.

Grandpa, I didn't know you got an SA account!

Or that you were still alive!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Stevoblunt posted:

Agreed

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Grandpa, I didn't know you got an SA account!

Or that you were still alive!

Yo I dont care that they had sex or that they had sex in a theater or that they dressed up like clowns and she pegged him or whatever but have some basic hygiene about it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I hope they at least had sex quietly. People using their phones in a cinema is bad enough, I can't imagine trying to truly appreciate the cinematic art like the refined movie-goer I am when the people behind me are making all kinds of sex noises. Harumph.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
More bible literalism from Dan.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 20, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"Sex is good, disrupting the movie or restaurant experience of others is bad" - something only old grumpy people would say, apparently.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

More bible literalism from Adam.

Lol that guys brain is overloaded by considering the idea of metaphor, a fundamental part of how the human mind works anyway.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ditocoaf posted:

"Sex is good, disrupting the movie or restaurant experience of others is bad" - something only old grumpy people would say, apparently.

I generally assume all of my opinions about ways people have fun are things only old grumpy people would say, it's worked out to be pretty accurate so far

drat kids and their gizmos

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Stevoblunt posted:

Make it a wafflehouse and that sounds like a wonderful evening

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zesty posted:

More bible literalism from Dan.

He's right. better to just reject the whole thing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Agreed, your book is poo poo.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The guy in the final panel looks familiar:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Not even medieval Jewish scholars took Genesis literally.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
And Augustine of Hippo specifically warned against naive, literal readings of scripture. Dan Lietha and his ilk are at least 1600 years behind the times.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigglesSWE posted:

Nor did many Christians from late antiquity. Full Biblical literalism is a very recent thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BigglesSWE posted:

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nor did many Christians from late antiquity. Full Biblical literalism is a very recent thing.

It's specific to American schools of Protestantism (like Lietha's). In particular, I should add, Jews and literalism don't mix. Rabbis have been arguing about what such-and-such passage really means for as long as there have been rabbis. That's a decent chunk of what the Talmud is. Scholarly interpretation is pretty core to Judaism.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

It's specific to American schools of Protestantism (like Lietha's). In particular, I should add, Jews and literalism don't mix. Rabbis have been arguing about what such-and-such passage really means for as long as there have been rabbis. That's a decent chunk of what the Talmud is. Scholarly interpretation is pretty core to Judaism.

It's literaly a book with a passage of text, and then a comments section written around it where they argue.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That sure sounds like a lot more enjoyable and mentally stimulating way to examine texts than to say "It says she was made from a rib so I guess that's what happened, case closed".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257950538816188417?lang=en

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That sure sounds like a lot more enjoyable and mentally stimulating way to examine texts than to say "It says she was made from a rib so I guess that's what happened, case closed".

As I understand it it's also what you spend all your time doing if you actually go to seminary or divinity school or whatever, but Lietha is probably one of those guys who sneers at ivory-tower ministers because really all you need is a bible which you have read at least once

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly it's probably a product of antisemitism. When the next pogrom comes you really don't want to carry two books.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There are actually thousands of Jewish and Christian books dedicated to interpreting the bible, and I'd like to use them to bury Dan Liatha under.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed. Of course let's not forget that the whole year before the 2020 Election will also feature Ted Rall posting cartoon after cartoon ripping on whoever the Democratic candidate is and insisting they're worse than Hitler while barely mentioning Trump even exists.

Oh for sure, but Vlad Shawl being an idiot doesn't mean the democrats aren't going to completely poo poo the bed again.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

So, the guy on the left got enough to purchase a single McDonald's franchise? According to this you will need at least $500000 to be considered. That amount of money would go far in supporting a family of four.

(Seriously, do people actually refer to meals from McD as "a McDonald's" in this fashion?)

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Christian cartoonist in this thread have this uncanny ability to make really edit worthy cartoons without realizing it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kopijeger posted:

So, the guy on the left got enough to purchase a single McDonald's franchise? According to this you will need at least $500000 to be considered. That amount of money would go far in supporting a family of four.

(Seriously, do people actually refer to meals from McD as "a McDonald's" in this fashion?)

It would probably read better if you switched the speech bubbles.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Electric Phantasm posted:

It would probably read better if you switched the speech bubbles.

Probably, but I think most people don't realize how lucrative owning a McDonald's franchise is, so they don't associate it with wealth.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Yes? All the time?

What do you call it?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tenebrais posted:

Yes? All the time?

What do you call it?

I'd usually call it "McDonald's."

"I'm getting McDonald's" is what I've always heard people say, not "I'm getting a McDonald's."

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Stevoblunt posted:

Someone's jelly

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

loquacius posted:

Hell, there's stuff in the Talmud of rabbis arguing with God about what certain passages mean. And winning.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

Probably, but I think most people don't realize how lucrative owning a McDonald's franchise is, so they don't associate it with wealth.

Also, according to this, the market value of the corporation is around $100 billion. Even allowing for hyperbole, it seems unlikely that any individual would have enough liquid assets on hand to buy the entire thing outright.

Tenebrais posted:

Yes? All the time?

What do you call it?

"A [burger or other menu item] from McDonald's". "A McDonald's" sounds like it refers to a restaurant that is part of the McD chain.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lord Hydronium posted:

Hell, there's stuff in the Talmud of rabbis arguing with God about what certain passages mean. And winning.

Judaism is that XKCD where Gary Gigax died and he plays DnD with death. If you pull out enough splat books God will relent and you'll get into heaven.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Christian cartoonist in this thread have this uncanny ability to make really edit worthy cartoons without realizing it.

Oh, please touch the poop with this one.
At the very least, remind me to put it up as a Best Edit candidate when the Gaybie repository goes up.

Pants Donkey posted:

This isn't to excuse democrats giving us lovely candidates, but Rall also criticizes whatever form of protest pops up so you literally cannot win with him unless you're running a "Ted Rall is Amazing" march.

I wonder. If you did have a "Ted Rall is the Best" march, would he inevitably complain about it because it didn't draw in a large enough (any) crowd, or would he take the Trump approach and convince himself that the entire world attended?

Crabtree posted:

Imagine what would happen if there was a decent out of the blue candidate that wasn't Oprah and he actually had to find something on this person.

"I wrote them a letter detailing my plans for everybody else to rise up in Revolution, but give ME, Ted Rall, the credit for leading and organizing it. But they never wrote me back, clearly they do not care about their constituents."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

Yeah, I was confusing it with this one from Eric Allie:

Fun fact, back when he was regularly blogging, he'd immediately delete it whenever someone would post that in response to whatever hacky Obama take he was on that day. Within seconds, like he had a red alert system installed.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Guys c'mon, the rule is don't be deliberately obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pants Donkey posted:

Literally nothing is good enough for Rall. He simply cannot wrap his head around the idea that humans are flawed and working in a flawed system, so naturally every person in history is going to have something negative you can bring up.

This isn't to excuse democrats giving us lovely candidates, but Rall also criticizes whatever form of protest pops up so you literally cannot win with him unless you're running a "Ted Rall is Amazing" march.

Is he or isn't he basically a Russian at this point? Like I know he accepts dark rubles now, but how far is he on the path to being like Steven Segal?