Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

Why would you possibly care about the exact wording of your upper management's busywork?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

more money for us, gently caress you

is ultimately what it boils down to anyway. No one is working at a for profit for their "mission".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/11/western-elite-chinese-perspective/ seems relevant here

quote:

One class was about strategy. It focused on how corporate mottos and logos could inspire employees. Many of the students had worked for nonprofits or health care or tech companies, all of which had mottos about changing the world, saving lives, saving the planet, etc. The professor seemed to like these mottos. I told him that at Goldman our motto was be long-term greedy. The professor couldnt understand this motto or why it was inspiring. I explained to him that everyone else in the market was short-term greedy and, as a result, we took all their money. Since traders like money, this was inspiring. He asked if perhaps there was another motto or logo that my other classmates might connect with. I told him about the black swan I kept on my desk as a reminder that low probability events happen with high frequency. He didnt like that motto either and decided to call on another student, who had worked at Pfizer. Their motto was all people deserve to live healthy lives. The professor thought this was much better. I didnt understand how it would motivate employees, but this was exactly why I had come to Stanford: to learn the key lessons of interpersonal communication and leadership.

:3:

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

The values stuff all classically intertwines with the historic lack of/resistance to things like workplace organizing and unions though they have hardly been a thing the tech industry.

Its particularly explicit in retail where like, Target will make employees watch videos talking about how they have a company culture to work things out and bargaining with anything like a union is against their values.

Murrah fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 19, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
These mottos might make more sense if your company actually follows the motto.

I'm sure that Goldman does follow through on their goal of being long-term greedy and it's understood throughout the ranks.

But if Pfizer is raising prices on essential drugs, their motto is going to fall flat.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm going to be conducting the interviews for our next round of interns. Am I a bad person for not knowing our company values off the top of my head? We just make aluminum and aluminum accessories. :smith:

Values? Hey kid we'll give you that cold hard cash if you show up around 8, leave around 4, take about an hour for lunch in the middle and write some code that does things. Also we like it if you are nice to be around as a person. :shepspends:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Portland Sucks posted:

I'm going to be conducting the interviews for our next round of interns. Am I a bad person for not knowing our company values off the top of my head? We just make aluminum and aluminum accessories. :smith:

Values? Hey kid we'll give you that cold hard cash if you show up around 8, leave around 4, take about an hour for lunch in the middle and write some code that does things. Also we like it if you are nice to be around as a person. :shepspends:

7 hour workday at your place? Sweet :shobon:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Portland Sucks posted:

I had to write a note at the top of my interview questions that said "THEY ARE JUST INTERNS" because I made one cry when they didn't know an answer and I pushed to get some advanced thinking out of them after they gave me their basic reasoning on how they'd do it and they freaked out. I'm sure it was some me, some them but it reminded me of the perspecctive between kids in college interviewing and business "professionals".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The CEO just told me "If unit tests can't catch 100% of your bugs, then they aren't worth writing at all." :allears:

I can not wait to :yotj:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol why is your company so bad

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Or maybe he is saying to write better tests

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ratbert90 posted:

The CEO just told me "If unit tests can't catch 100% of your bugs, then they aren't worth writing at all." :allears:

Can't you just write an algorithm or something that will definitively tell you whether or not a program will halt or not?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

code:
function checkForBugs() {
    return true;
}

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Virigoth posted:

I had to write a note at the top of my interview questions that said "THEY ARE JUST INTERNS" because I made one cry when they didn't know an answer and I pushed to get some advanced thinking out of them after they gave me their basic reasoning on how they'd do it and they freaked out. I'm sure it was some me, some them but it reminded me of the perspecctive between kids in college interviewing and business "professionals".

Early in my career, me and a teammate double-teamed our potential new tech lead in the interview. We ground him into a fine pasts across the walls. He left demoralized and assumed that job was a dead deal. Meanwhile we were all jumping up and down to bring him on. His first day was pretty funny.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Lol why is your company so bad
Because the CEO thinks he knows engineering because he wrote some lovely C code 30 years ago and now tries to dictate what engineering does instead of listening to his employees.

Also:
- rampant nepotism
- shotgun management
- Marketing is in charge of the GUI for our products (wtf?)
- An owner that inherited the company and refuses to give equity to anybody

And a bunch more things.

KoRMaK posted:

Or maybe he is saying to write better tests

No, he is specifically saying don't write tests at all.

The Fool posted:

code:
function checkForBugs() {
    return true;
}

perfect!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 19, 2018

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

ratbert90 posted:

I work with this guy too.

Oh you mean it's possible to write a test suite that won't catch every bug, why even bother? I taught myself C by reading Kernighan & Ritchie's book you idiot kids just don't understand what quality code engineering is. :smuggo:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ratbert90 posted:

Because the CEO thinks he knows engineering because he wrote some lovely C code 30 years ago and now tries to dictate what engineering does instead of listening to his employees.

Also:
- rampant nepotism
- shotgun management
- Marketing is in charge of the GUI for our products (wtf?)
- An owner that inherited the company and refuses to give equity to anybody

And a bunch more things.

No, he is specifically saying don't write tests at all.

perfect!

Please tell me more about shotgun management. I haven't heard the term before and it sounds magical.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

LLSix posted:

Please tell me more about shotgun management. I haven't heard the term before and it sounds magical.

It involves putting the shotgun in your mouth when management rolls around.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ratbert90 posted:

How do you hear this and keep a straight face? If my boss had told me that I'd assume it was a bad joke and chuckle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LLSix posted:

Sorry, meant drive by management.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

How do you hear this and keep a straight face? If my boss had told me that I'd assume it was a bad joke and chuckle.

It was more frustrating in context because he was trying to be a smug prick about it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Reminds me of trying to convince some developers on the other-side of the house to use E2E tests. Talking about, set up database with empty schema, insert some data, run a test. They kept trying to make the point that the application HAD to be tested with production data, because real world data blah blah blah. I kept trying to tell them that they as they found more bugs from their real world data, they could add test cases to cover them. Nope, I just didn't understand how wacky and crazy their data could be, there was no point in even trying cause you're bound to miss something! To be fair, I don't even know what their application did besides handle large amounts of questionable data as part of some kind of pipeline process.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

redleader posted:

What the gently caress is the point of corporate values?

They can be a guide by which the company does business or how the company interacts with its employees. My company actually does follow them pretty koolaid-like. People are nominated for following the values in their day-to-day work and there are winners for each value receiving $100 gift cards at the all-hands.

But it only works if the CEO is a true believer in them (like ours) and conducts himself accordingly and makes it his purpose to spread that down throughout the company.

We have an all company gathering in August. Watch out for a Jonestown event in Boston this summer.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Rubellavator posted:

Reminds me of trying to convince some developers on the other-side of the house to use E2E tests. Talking about, set up database with empty schema, insert some data, run a test. They kept trying to make the point that the application HAD to be tested with production data, because real world data blah blah blah. I kept trying to tell them that they as they found more bugs from their real world data, they could add test cases to cover them. Nope, I just didn't understand how wacky and crazy their data could be, there was no point in even trying cause you're bound to miss something! To be fair, I don't even know what their application did besides handle large amounts of questionable data as part of some kind of pipeline process.

I always go with :iiaca: and reductio ad absurdum. "Yep, just like I refuse to wear a seat belt, it won't stop 100% of injuries in a crash so it's a waste of time. Did you know that you can still skid with anti-lock breaks? Never use them! They don't cover every case!"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
God drat at least the people I talk to about unit tests just act like I am arranging runes with my mouth and walk away.

Edit: Do these people at least conceptually get the "unit" part of a unit test?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I doubt this thread agrees on the unit.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've performed extensive measurements and a unit is 5 inches exactly. :cool:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CPColin posted:

I've performed extensive measurements and a unit is 5 inches exactly. :cool:

I'm pretty sure my unit is bigger than that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Do unit tests until you're bored" had never made more sense than now.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rubellavator posted:

for some strange reason developers and software test people have some sort of tortured affection for logical positivism. one of my big interests undergrad was epistemology, and working in software, Iroutinely come across ideas about how we know what we know that were shown to be bupkis 400 years ago.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

ratbert90 posted:

Wait, I know this one: tell them that you need 100% test coverage and that that will catch 100% or the bugs. Obviously!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hughlander posted:

I doubt this thread agrees on the unit.

Kent Beck on what's a unit test

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Why would you possibly care about the exact wording of your upper management's busywork?

is ultimately what it boils down to anyway. No one is working at a for profit for their "mission".

I think this is projecting/generalizing a bit. Yes, many if not most people aren't working for a mission, but it is certainly part of it for some (and speaking personally, it sure is nice when you can!) People (myself included) do work for companies building things that they're really excited about. Profit and mission aren't mutually exclusive; maybe you're operating on a much higher level of cynicism than I am, but you know there are benefit corporations and B corps...

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Today is the start of my new job as a Jr Front End Dev and it's my first time working in a proper development environment. I start in an hour and I'm basically making GBS threads myself.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

You'll be fine! If its anything like my experience; your first couple days will be involving zero work and just learning the environment:

- Source control & where the code is
- Getting the project(s) up and running
- Where the servers are for the test environments, how poo poo is deployed
- Meeting team members, managers, etc.
- (Important) Learning where the tea/coffee/kitchen place is and how the microwaves work because nobody agrees on a standard UI

So relax into that and take each day a step at a time, your mind will be fried, and you will probably want to sleep as soon as you get home because of the sheer volume of information to take in. But it's all part of the process. I've been doing this for 11 years now and the first week at a new place still terrifies me.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

My company has ten core values.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

AWWNAW posted:

My company has zero core values.

And brevity is not one of them.

When a vision, mission, values piece ends up that long, its like they did the whole team brainstorm thing and forgot that theyre suppose to edit it down to something memorable, clear, and actually representative of something tangible and actionable.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ape Fist posted:

I start in an hour and I'm basically making GBS threads myself.

Sounds like youre already fitting right in! :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ape Fist posted:

Today is the start of my new job as a Jr Front End Dev and it's my first time working in a proper development environment. I start in an hour and I'm basically making GBS threads myself.

You gon' crush it.

In my experience, especially as a Jr., nobody is going to expect miracles from you - especially not on day one. Just absorb as much information as you can, and remember that it's absolutely one hundred percent ok to ask a shitton of questions.

In fact, I think one of the most helpful things you can do at a new job is ask your coworkers a ton of questions. It helps you get to meet/know them, and most people will be happy to come look over your shoulder and guide you through problems. My general rules of thumb are:

- try to change up who you ask fairly often, so you don't end up pestering anyone. This also helps you meet your entire team instead of just latching onto the first person who helps, and you'll quickly find out who's specialized in areas of your project
- make sure you google non-project-specific problems for a few minutes before asking other people, because it's really embarrassing when you ask someone and the solution to your problem is the first result

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I routinely come across ideas about how we know what we know that were shown to be bupkis 400 years ago.

I'm sure you think those ideas are bupkis, but how do you really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

ChickenWing posted:

My general rules of thumb are:

- try to change up who you ask fairly often, so you don't end up pestering anyone. This also helps you meet your entire team instead of just latching onto the first person who helps, and you'll quickly find out who's specialized in areas of your project
- make sure you google non-project-specific problems for a few minutes before asking other people, because it's really embarrassing when you ask someone and the solution to your problem is the first result

Those are both great ways to get up to speed with a project. I will add one more:

- Don't ask the same question twice. If someone answers a question for you, write it down somewhere, and refer to your own notes before you ask a question.

You'll get the reputation as a fast learner, and people will be more likely to answer your questions if they know you will actually use the information.