Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

withak posted:

In the cricket game he is playing hurley (Irish field hockey) instead of cricket.

From what I could tell the time I tried to figure out what the differences are, Stephen basically ends up scoring an own goal. Beautifully, masterfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For any in search of wonderful anecdotes and quotes, I might recommend the second chapter of The Fortune of War when Jack and Stephen are guests on a ship returning to England. Jack spends his time on educating the youngsters, who pay about as much attention to their studies as students of today; one's mother writes to tell him to brush his teeth up and down, one gets whipped for how he describes Abraham, and one describes the chord of an arc instead of the sine, but doesn't notice his mistake even when Jack asks, "and how is that related to the chord of the arc?". Stephen is forced to transfer "several tons" of minerals and specimens between two ships in 53 minutes, is flustered over his collection flying all over the ship unstowed, has troubles with unhappy wombats, unhappy lieutenants, fails to choose the lesser of two weevils, and gives his usual dinner speeches having to be saved by Jack. There are also a few amusing side characters; the temporary switches to Cockney are quite fun to read aloud.

The mirth is so well consolidated I daren't attempt copying it all here.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I could tell the time I tried to figure out what the differences are, Stephen basically ends up scoring an own goal. Beautifully, masterfully.

Is this really what happened?? With my complete American ignorance of cricket I actually thought he surprised everyone by being good at cricket (I basically thought he pulled a Harry Potter and did the cricket equivalent of catching the golden snitch to win) but LMAO if he tanked the game in spectacular style instead.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, he pulled a really nice hurling move (game is hurling, the stick is a Hurley), and promptly loses the game for his team because he didn't know the rules and couldn't pay attention enough to the game to figure it out.

It's especially funny because his hurling pickup is basically a textbook skill that would be really hard to do with a cricket ball. The earlier payoff too on Stephens "unusual" bat (he just cut his own Hurley) is also a nice joke.

I don't know if you'd be allowed to effectively hit the ball twice in cricket, but if you are and Stephen could do a pickup like that he'd be a world class century man for sure. But he has he bugs and hookbills instead.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What Stephen did is spectacularly beyond "an own goal". I thought it was one of the funniest scenes in the books.

Lockback posted:

I don't know if you'd be allowed to effectively hit the ball twice in cricket

You can't.

I'm not a fan of cricket, but my dad will happily sit and watch all 5 days of a test match and be excited when nothing happens in a slightly different way from the usual nothing happening which makes up 99.99% of test cricket. But he's the reason I understand how it works. He's also the reason I didn't have to look up (or ask about) most of the sailing terminolgy though.

e: If you guys know nothing about cricket, take 5 minutes and watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPLhskOH4o. If you're reading this thread you've probably looked up what a cross-catharpin was in case you missed a joke, so a 5 minute video probably isn't too much to ask. You could probably even start at 2:40 and watch for a minute or so to understand what Stephen did wrong.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 25, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CarterUSM posted:

In cricket, you are supposed to use your bat to defend your wicket (i.e. the three stumps with loose crosspieces that sit behind the batter). As such, cricket tends to be a defensive game from the batsman's point of view, since you don't HAVE to run unless you so choose. (Imagine in baseball, if a batter could just stand at home plate and decline to run on a hit ball, until he got one he liked) You could literally have a cricket batsman standing up at the wicket for over a hundred pitches.

What Stephen did, on the other hand, was treat it like hurling, which as someone has said, is an Irish field sport more akin to field hockey...instead of tamely defending the wicket, like expected, he charged the ball, scooped it up with his stick, and (not understanding that the point in cricket is to NOT have the ball hit the wickets when you're batting) then swatted the ball directly into a wicket, thinking it was a goal, thus causing his team to lose.

(Also: I am a bloody Yank who has watched all of one cricket match, so if I made a mistake, please correct me...)

This was an explanation of the cricket match that got posted a while back

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's accurate enough, yeah. Stephen might not have even ruined the match, except that he was late to the field - being the last batsman, once he was out, the game was over.

When I first read it, I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. Partly because it's so obviously cricket commentary that I mentally heard it in Richie Benaud's voice: https://youtu.be/1tcAOBbDtfY?t=90

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

I finished that book a week or so back and that was basically my exact reaction.

Thirteen Gun Salute Spoiler:
Killing them off-screen I liked. Somethings an intelligent agent does are not witnessed and of all things, Stephen would be most discrete with that.

Thinking about it a little more, I now choose to believe Stephen's so good at what he does that he did it when even O'Brian wasn't looking.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Phy posted:

Thinking about it a little more, I now choose to believe Stephen's so good at what he does that he did it when even O'Brian wasn't looking.
Given the continual supply of biscuits and hams and such that he keeps in his jackets, does he perchance show up later with some hands in jars or anything? I'll keep my eyes sharp when I reach this book.

Maybe I brought this up before, but I never figured out what happened about that duel over a comment about Diana between Jack and Stephen. There was significant practice and preparation, and certainly something else came up, but it never seemed to actually get resolved in the text. Maybe I've been laughing so hard lately that I've forgotten.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Given the continual supply of biscuits and hams and such that he keeps in his jackets, does he perchance show up later with some hands in jars or anything? I'll keep my eyes sharp when I reach this book.

There is a hand in a jar at some point, but I don't think it is on of these hands.

quote:

Maybe I brought this up before, but I never figured out what happened about that duel over a comment about Diana between Jack and Stephen. There was significant practice and preparation, and certainly something else came up, but it never seemed to actually get resolved in the text. Maybe I've been laughing so hard lately that I've forgotten.

As far as anyone can tell they both just silently let it go and never spoke of it again.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

withak posted:

There is a hand in a jar at some point, but I don't think it is on of these hands.

As far as anyone can tell they both just silently let it go and never spoke of it again.

Essentially, yes - Stephen is obliged to warn Jack of a prospective mutiny, and Jack is half dead of blood loss by the time the crisis and an ensuing action are dealt with. It seems they just resumed the patient-doctor relationship, and subsequently their friendship.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
From what I recall there is a blink and you'll miss it apology.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Twas a day later and a few score pages past, but I remembered I was going to keep an eye open for the first occurrence, which seems to be The Fortune of War Chapter Eight

quote:

'I ain't Joe', said Jack.
'Who are you then?' asked the boat, now visible.
'Jack'.
'Where's Joe?'
'Gone to Salem'.
'Are youse a-going out, Jack?'
'Maybe'.
'You got any bait, Jack?'
'No'.
'Well, gently caress you, Jack'.
'And gently caress you too, mate', said Jack mildly.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

From what I recall there is a blink and you'll miss it apology.

Aubrey sends a wonderful apology for calling Stephen a bastard ("a common expression to do with birth, that might have been taken to have a personal bearing") during the build up to the duel. I can't remember an apology for the rest of it though

e: found it! I must have blinked

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

quote:

... Having drunk a certain amount of champagne he said, "That's very well. But I tell you what, Bullock, just you mix me a glass of bosun's grow, will you?"
"Aye, aye, sir", said Bullock, "a glass of grog it is. What you want, sir, is something with a bite in it: A man can blow himself out like a cow in grass with that poor thin fizzy stuff".

ZekeNY posted:

Aubrey sends a wonderful apology for calling Stephen a bastard ("a common expression to do with birth, that might have been taken to have a personal bearing")
That does sound a bit familiar, yes. Perhaps I'll look more closely the next time I read it!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Sitting in the Red Sea with the sun baking everything, "Will I call for another pot of this admirable sherbet, the only cool thing in creation, perhaps...".

So they have a solar powered refrigeration unit onboard? Or they're serving a mint-flavored concoction that has been cooled to "room temperature" (presumably above 100F at this point)? I thought only Willy Wonka could make ice cream that doesn't melt in the hot sun.

What is this sherbet of which Stephen speaks?

Edit: Whelp it wasn't in Sea of Words, hence my obvious confusion, but it seems wikipedia knows, so I'll go with my guess of "mint-flavored" something or another.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 19, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Beverages were chilled by tying the bottles in a net attached to a rope and dropping them deep under water for a while.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

They could also possibly have used some form of evaporative cooling.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Lord Bude posted:

Beverages were chilled by tying the bottles in a net attached to a rope and dropping them deep under water for a while.

Right, and if I recall they were drinking the Sherbet not in the middle of the Red Sea, but when they were watering off the coast, and I assumed they were drinking it then because the water was actually cool (since they usually drank Claret or something from a bottle, so not made from the cool water thy were taking on).

I may be wrong about that, but I believe they were specifically drinking Sherbet because they were just a bit offshore.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Sherbet comes up a few times in Treason's Harbor, but indeed they were sitting in the barky just after their return march across the dessert. Later it specifically says "chilled", so it either has to be spring water or deep water chilling. Evaporative cooling seems less likely and Venturi cooling wasn't applied before steam engines, afaik.

I have to wonder if it was like modern sherbet American, iced, or if it was gelatinous from beef stock, or if it was more like heavy cream. Perhaps the gastronomic companion knows, but I don't have a copy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sherbet does not make an appearance in the gastronomic companion.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Zoh well, and it's not on the wiki either. The answers here are good enough for me, and deep water cooling is certainly viable.

Thanks for bearing with my silly questions. I'm almost done with 10 and still rather excited for the series. When I read this last I was so busy with grad school then jobs and depression that it kinda became a chore to get from 5 to 20, and probably took a year or two. Other than a short break for a week or two, I've been reading straight through this time.

Honestly though I'm past the point of remembering much. I remembered the diving bell, marching across the desert, and the guest that liked diving and swimming who got chomped up (but I thought that was Jagiello), and I remembered the chelengk for some reason. I thought the bell lasted a lot longer but maybe there will be another.

In 9 they set hawsers up the hill in order to hoist up cannons but it's abandoned. I still remember a similar scenario being carried out in full, with Jack being happy handling that type of 'work' (gambit). I might be conflating it with some caper where they hide on the back side of an island with a cliff, hoist cannons to the top, and pepper the enemy when they sail between that and the adjacent cliff.

But sheesh with ten remaining I'm forgetting a lot and looking forward to it!

Thanks for listening.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Quick informal poll --

Are people starting these books because they found this thread, or finding this thread after they've read the books for the first time?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Books then thread.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quick informal poll --

Are people starting these books because they found this thread, or finding this thread after they've read the books for the first time?

Comedy option - I found this thread and keep meaning to start the books one of these days, but so far have not.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

uPen posted:

Books then thread.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quick informal poll --

Books then literally googled "Aubrey Maturin Something Awful"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Movie first; then books, then thread.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Quick informal poll --

Books -> movie -> thread -> audiobooks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I haven't watched the Movie yet as I wanted to at least get through Far Side of the World, and now I'm on Yellow Admiral and I sorta might just finish off the series before seeing the movie.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I read the books because of this thread, so thanks for that.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Read the books first

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Finished the books before the movie existed. It was time to read them all again from start to finish (instead of the piecemeal I had been doing) so I searched for the thread.

Very happy to be reading. I managed to recover my idea of Aubrey and Maturin, which had been somewhat perverted by the movie.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Finished the books before the movie existed. It was time to read them all again from start to finish (instead of the piecemeal I had been doing) so I searched for the thread.

Very happy to be reading. I managed to recover my idea of Aubrey and Maturin, which had been somewhat perverted by the movie.

Yeah, the movie doesn't do anything like justice to Maturin. He's pretty much relegated to being Jack's prissy conscience. And also English for some reason.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just named my first kid "Jack Stephen".

We wanted to go with family names, and those are the names of my wife's grandad and my opa, but... they could only possibly go in that order.

My brother's already referring to the kid as Lucky Jack.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Book -> Thread -> Books, for me.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Sherbet comes up a few times in Treason's Harbor, but indeed they were sitting in the barky just after their return march across the dessert. Later it specifically says "chilled", so it either has to be spring water or deep water chilling. Evaporative cooling seems less likely and Venturi cooling wasn't applied before steam engines, afaik.

I have to wonder if it was like modern sherbet American, iced, or if it was gelatinous from beef stock, or if it was more like heavy cream. Perhaps the gastronomic companion knows, but I don't have a copy.

Its a different drink from what we think of as Sherbet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharbat

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
movie -> books -> thread -> audiobooks

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Polikarpov posted:

Its a different drink from what we think of as Sherbet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharbat

Hard to believe that we're going to need to engage an historian to figure out what sherbet they were consuming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Dad obsessing about the books - movie - books - thread.