Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
1) list articles are clickbait scum designed to get people to angrily comment and refresh the page over and over to argue for more delicious revenue. you have fallen into his trap.

2) I just got the R2 dash cloak. Made it to the lake to the west, the charm woman to the east, and the blocked elevator to the south. Where do I go now? The only open thread to me at the moment, far as I can tell, is grinding up 950 bugbux to buy the simple key. Point me in the right direction, all? :shobon: e: found it. crossroads, southwest.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wonder if when Update 3 comes out and brings possible completion to possibly 110% they'll add in achievements to get that number on speedrun or steel-soul, just to render your other achievements null and chide you for thinking you could skip the Trial of the Fool, the White Palace, or any Dream bosses.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If they do that then they should retroactively make Path of Pain worth some % :v:.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
These mantis fuckers are not my friends

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You should buy a lantern and go east of forgotten crossroads, then

:getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Torquemadras posted:

Yeah, definitely buy the lantern ASAP because it's required for a number of areas. I got stuck in Crystal Peak because I entered it using the Desolate Dive but didn't have the lantern to take the other route out of it, so I had to finish that whole area while kind of under-powered.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 20, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm on my first playthrough of the game and I'm really in love with it. Cool to see there's a thread still going for it!

This was supposed to be a post about how much I'm enjoying the Path of Pain, but then this happened

guess I'm not getting those hours of my life back

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can anyone tell me where I need to go after the Crystal Peak? I've googled a bit and apparently it's the resting grounds but I don't know how to get there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

I'm on my first playthrough of the game and I'm really in love with it. Cool to see there's a thread still going for it!

This was supposed to be a post about how much I'm enjoying the Path of Pain, but then this happened

Man that encounter is the absolute rudest thing and I love it. :allears:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

Can anyone tell me where I need to go after the Crystal Peak? I've googled a bit and apparently it's the resting grounds but I don't know how to get there.

Resting Grounds sounds about right! There's several ways into that place.

One way is to make use of the tram stations throughout the world. In the area past the Mantis Lords, you can eventually find something that allows you to use the stations. The station from Forgotten Crossroads in the east will take you to Resting Grounds. There's also the possibility to take another tram to the eastern part of the City of Tears, and ascend from there to Resting Grounds.

I think you can go there from eastern City of Tears in general, so you don't need the trams if you can get there otherwise. You could go beat up Dung Defender in the Waterways if you've got a Simple Key left.

Another way: just drop in there from Crystal Peak! :haw: In the lower-right part of that place, there's a long dark crystal corridor. At the end is a chasm you're supposed to cross, but if you drop down, you'll reach the Resting Grounds.

And finally, my favorite route: there's a hidden path up on the right wall next to the charm vendor in Forgotten Crossroads! You can use Crystal Dash from a wall to the left, on the same height, if you've also got Mantis Claw. Not sure if there's ever any flying enemies around; if so, I'm sure you could lure one over and use a downward slash to use it a stepping stone...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Your Computer posted:

That was one thing I was very happy to get spoiled on before I saw it. The previous room took me two hours for some reason, probably the most difficulty I've ever had with a video game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Man that encounter is the absolute rudest thing and I love it. :allears:

I want to give them props for being dicks in a pretty funny way, but in contrast to the rest of the game it's just kinda... bad design. :sigh:

The platforming challenge was hard as balls but it was really well done and a lot of fun mastering. I feel like having that at the end kinds cheapens it.

But hey, at least I'm pretty sure I don't need anything from it to complete the game and I enjoyed the platforming so I'm good leaving it at that death :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Torquemadras posted:

I nearly have enough thanks to the relic seeker, but I don't know if you're being serious in the way that, say, one would be like 'go to the graveyard after entering Lordran.'

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Torquemadras posted:

Resting Grounds sounds about right! There's several ways into that place.

One way is to make use of the tram stations throughout the world. In the area past the Mantis Lords, you can eventually find something that allows you to use the stations. The station from Forgotten Crossroads in the east will take you to Resting Grounds. There's also the possibility to take another tram to the eastern part of the City of Tears, and ascend from there to Resting Grounds.

I think you can go there from eastern City of Tears in general, so you don't need the trams if you can get there otherwise. You could go beat up Dung Defender in the Waterways if you've got a Simple Key left.

Another way: just drop in there from Crystal Peak! :haw: In the lower-right part of that place, there's a long dark crystal corridor. At the end is a chasm you're supposed to cross, but if you drop down, you'll reach the Resting Grounds.

And finally, my favorite route: there's a hidden path up on the right wall next to the charm vendor in Forgotten Crossroads! You can use Crystal Dash from a wall to the left, on the same height, if you've also got Mantis Claw. Not sure if there's ever any flying enemies around; if so, I'm sure you could lure one over and use a downward slash to use it a stepping stone...

Thanks! I'll check out the Crystal Peak path as I have not activated the trams or encountered the Mantis Lords to my knowledge.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, definitely buy the lantern ASAP because it's required for a number of areas. I got stuck in Crystal Peak because I entered it using the Desolate Dive but didn't have the lantern to take the other route out of it, so I had to finish that whole area while kind of under-powered.

"Required" is such a strong word

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

I want to give them props for being dicks in a pretty funny way, but in contrast to the rest of the game it's just kinda... bad design. :sigh:

The platforming challenge was hard as balls but it was really well done and a lot of fun mastering. I feel like having that at the end kinds cheapens it.

But hey, at least I'm pretty sure I don't need anything from it to complete the game and I enjoyed the platforming so I'm good leaving it at that death :v:

imo it's not so bad because once you've been through the path, going through a second time is much easier and there's a shortcut you opened that skips a fair amount of it though I wouldn't blame you for just not bothering

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Countblanc posted:

"Required" is such a strong word

I remember fuddling about in the dark cave that connect Forgotten Crossroads to that area and I don't remember seeing the prompt to pay and open the gate between them until I had the lamp, but maybe I just didn't get through it enough. Yes you can navigate those areas without the lamp but I wouldn't recommend it on a first-time playthrough!

Torquemadras posted:

Those trams have been an enigma to me this entire game and I thought I heard someone else say that the key to using them was in that area. Just one more thing on my to-do list in this game :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Your first instinct upon seeing that wasn't too just spam descending dark until they both died?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bogart posted:

I nearly have enough thanks to the relic seeker, but I don't know if you're being serious in the way that, say, one would be like 'go to the graveyard after entering Lordran.'

Let's just say: you're gonna want to purchase the lantern sooner or later anyway, and you can bee-line to the southeast to drop to an actually plot-critical area right away if it's kicking your rear end too much.

That said, the ability you get in there is insanely good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Your first instinct upon seeing that wasn't too just spam descending dark until they both died?

To be fair, there are a lot of things I could've done instead of "slam my face into the enemy over and over until I die" but hindsight is 20/20 :pram:

It didn't help that I had an awful charm loadout either. Being a huge idiot, I figured "hey, I'll be dashing a lot so I should try using Dashmaster for once". I cannot even count the number of times I died due to accidentally dashing downwards into spikes, especially at the very last part :doh:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

It didn't help that I had an awful charm loadout either. Being a huge idiot, I figured "hey, I'll be dashing a lot so I should try using Dashmaster for once". I cannot even count the number of times I died due to accidentally dashing downwards into spikes, especially at the very last part :doh:

Don't feel too bad, I did the exact same loving thing

Dashmaster is an absolute godsend when it's not about precision platforming, so 95% of the time, but when it is, hoooo boy. I don't think I ever used the downward dash intentionally, much less encountered a situation where I thought I'd have a use for it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

imo it's not so bad because once you've been through the path, going through a second time is much easier and there's a shortcut you opened that skips a fair amount of it though I wouldn't blame you for just not bothering

I couldn't remember that at all but I went back to check and drat you weren't kidding. That's pretty big :aaa: Went back and followed Internet Kraken's snarky (but good) advice and

:toot:

Without spoiling anything, are the last two inventory spots used (next to the pass and eggs)? I've been pretty thorough about exploring; I've gotten all mask pieces and vessel fragments, all charms, all spells, etc. I just found the Void Heart and it feels like the end is coming up :ohdear:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Bogart posted:

Interestingly enough, grinding out a win on your first encounter of the Mantis Lords and going through the door they open is absolutely the "go to the graveyard after entering Lordran" of the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm fighting the Nightmare King (ridiculous but pretty neat fight) but there's one attack I just can't get right; is there an actual 100% guaranteed way to avoiding the fireballs after his uppercut? I saw advice online that underneath him is safe but that's straight up not true, and it feels like I have a 50/50 chance of avoiding them even if I do the same exact maneuver every time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

I'm fighting the Nightmare King (ridiculous but pretty neat fight) but there's one attack I just can't get right; is there an actual 100% guaranteed way to avoiding the fireballs after his uppercut? I saw advice online that underneath him is safe but that's straight up not true, and it feels like I have a 50/50 chance of avoiding them even if I do the same exact maneuver every time.

I don't think there's any "safe spot" as the fireballs may be randomized, but there are always gaps between them. You just need to react quickly and move to where they won't hit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

As soon as I read "one attack I just can't get right" I knew it'd be the uppercut. :allears:

Dash away from the jab. It'll put you just far away to land a hit (or few if you have quickslash) as he transitions into an uppercut, and when the fireballs down you'll be right between two of them. That trick turned it from my least favourite attack to one of the easiest.

That is imo the best boss fight in the game, and that has some pretty stiff competition.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

As soon as I read "one attack I just can't get right" I knew it'd be the uppercut. :allears:

I'm glad I'm not the only one then.. Anyway, your advice helped and although I couldn't get that attack down 100% I nearly finished him hitless! What an incredibly cool fight.

Now this Radiance fucker on the other hand, what the actual hell. How is this even supposed to be possible? :psyboom: I'm all for difficult boss fights but this feels like juggling cats. Are some of these attacks (or combinations of them rather) even possible to dodge?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

You can absolutely do Radiance without taking damage, I think, unless you just get really really especially messed with on some combination/positioning of sword walls + light beams or something, not sure

One of the keys is just learning when it's safe for you to get in hits, and when you need to focus on dodging. Also I never heal on that fight - it feels mega unsafe, though I'm sure you can do that stuff with some charm layouts?? I feel like it's better to just learn to recognize when you can do damage and when you need to just dodge. Also recognizing that you with the right damage charms, you can basically blitz through the entire first stage, and in the second stage, again, there's a huge window at the start of it where you can just pile on damage and bring the fight down to only a few cycles.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 22, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! It just feels like such a clusterfuck, white-colored projectiles on a white background, random spikes, walls that run across the entirety of the arena (hope your shade cooldown is up!) and the boss being big enough to take up a good portion of the screen as well. Heck, even just dodging the horizontal spears without all the other poo poo going on is difficult.

I did finally get to see my completion% though. Apparently the game goes over 100%? I'm currently at 105% and the only thing I know for sure that I've come across and not done is the Trial of the Fool, because well... that poo poo just isn't fun. :v:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The Grimm Troupe stuff all is Past 100% of the normal game stuff, so that's why. If you did Path of Pain, you should have no problem with Trial of the Fool, I think!! Path of Pain is craaaazy, I thought.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that explains it. For some reason I figured DLC didn't factor into the completion.

As for the Trial of the Fool, I think it's way harder than the Path of Pain. Path of Pain is straight execution, as long as you do the exact right inputs you will get through it 100% of the time. Trial of the Fool is... a clusterfuck, to say the least. :v: RNG can really screw you over in a few of the waves.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Ah, that explains it. For some reason I figured DLC didn't factor into the completion.

As for the Trial of the Fool, I think it's way harder than the Path of Pain. Path of Pain is straight execution, as long as you do the exact right inputs you will get through it 100% of the time. Trial of the Fool is... a clusterfuck, to say the least. :v: RNG can really screw you over in a few of the waves.

Oh, I don't think it's that bad. Spawn locations are exactly the same, so the only real randomness is the bouncing spike thingies, which are pretty harmless, and the teleportation of the soul caster bugs. Both of those are pretty easy to manage due to the platform layout during those waves!

Now, those parts of the trials where it's you versus multiple primal aspids, with a spiked floor? That's the true horror of the Fool Trial.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How much announced content is there still unreleased for this?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One further update and then the Hornet paid-expansion.

I wish the Radiance did single mask damage, or dealt the same damage but there was a checkpoint after that tedious fight with the Hollow Knight. I hate having to drudge through the same stuff again-and-again just to learn a boss's attack pattern. I had the same gripe with Blackflame F_____in DS3. The Metroid 2 remake had the Metroids much tougher than the original, but this was countered by dying only setting you back to the door of the boss room and the speedrun clock not accounting for your deaths.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 22, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

Oh, I don't think it's that bad. Spawn locations are exactly the same, so the only real randomness is the bouncing spike thingies, which are pretty harmless, and the teleportation of the soul caster bugs. Both of those are pretty easy to manage due to the platform layout during those waves!

You say that, but uh

:v: gently caress that wave so much. One time I stood on the platform in the middle and watched all of them bounce to their death, another time I was thrown around like a ragdoll and was left with 1 health after the wave was over.

Also forever gently caress Primal Aspids though. Those things are straight evil.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This game is really good at being difficult in a variety of different ways, with every player having their obstacles they're weak against. I never got the hate for Primal Aspids. The were annoying at first, but got a lot more manageable once I learned to be patient. Bait out the first shot, take a little jump, probably dash in some direction (depends on exact position) and whack those mofo's. Ideally, while you're being patient, use the time to charge up a super-slash that should one-shot them.

Your Computer posted:

You say that, but uh

:v: gently caress that wave so much. One time I stood on the platform in the middle and watched all of them bounce to their death, another time I was thrown around like a ragdoll and was left with 1 health after the wave was over.

Also forever gently caress Primal Aspids though. Those things are straight evil.

I thiiiink I saw someone cheese that wave by wall-jumping as high as they could into a corner and just waiting there? I might be confusing it with another wave tho. It definitely is random as heck, and a pain and I've lost several runs to it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Two things that finally clicked for me in the Radiance fight that helped me win:

1) She is big and takes up a lot of real estate, yes, but she doesn't do any contact damage. I noticed this right away (and you probably have too) but it'll take a few fights to really get used to it, since you've spent the whole game carefully managing the distance between you and bosses.

2) The most important thing: you can fit between any two swords coming down vertically, not just where there's a gap. Once you get the spacing down, it makes that whole attack an opening for you to either attack (if she's right above you) or, more importantly, heal with Quick Focus.

The Radiance is really hard. I think it's a really well done* final boss, pretty much requiring you to put together everything you've learned about playing the game. There are lots of different ways to approach her with charm loadouts, but I'll say that I didn't have much success with being overly defensive. There are spots to heal with Quick Focus, but not enough to heal with Quick Focus + Deep Focus, and even those spots are rare enough in the second phase (where she's using two attacks at once with spikes on half the floor) that I don't think I ever pulled it off. I also don't think it's wise to go with an overly offensive loadout either: you can actually get her straight into the second phase with a couple Shaman Stone'd Abyssal Shrieks, but, well, then you're in the hardest part of the fight with no soul.

*I'd say it's just about perfect... if you didn't have to fight the Hollow Knight every time you die. Poor guy has probably been killed a billion times by everyone playing this game. It will eventually amuse you at how surgically you take him apart after the eighth or ninth fight.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Double posting to say that I also really like the Radiance fight in terms of gameplay and story synthesis:

The Knight enters the Dream, looks up at the goddamn sun and says LET'S DO THIS. The sun looks down, laughs, and says, "All right, little bug, if you wish to die, so be it." Her first round of attacks are more showing off her power than anything else: "Oh, you have a nail? I have a wall of them." But she can't quite squash this little bug. So she ramps it up, starts to get a little bit more serious. In particular, she launches an attack that should kill anything: the full sweep of light across the stage. But the little bug dashes right through it--oh poo poo, he's powered by the Abyss. Now she's starting to get scared, throwing everything she has at him. But he just won't die, and she slowly starts to understand that he's actually a threat. So then she starts actively avoiding him, teleporting around and firing at him from a distance. And then finally she tries to run away, but it's too late, he brought the Abyss with him into the Dream. And just like everyone else in Hallownest, she learns that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
*previous hollow knight teleports behind u*

nothing personnel, kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
My proest of tips for radiance will always be to put on shaman stone and as many lifeblood charms as you can, and to use abyssal shriek a lot. Healing on that fight is pretty questionable, so it's best to just not bother and to just spend all mana on damage instead, and she's perfectly positioned to get hit by abyssal shriek.