Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TinTower posted:

"Hello! I'm the Doctor! Basically… run."

"I'm the Doctor. Do everything I say, don't ask stupid questions and don't wander off."

-walks into tree-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Well Capaldi isn't wasting any time jumping into the convention circuit...

https://regenerationwho.com/guests/

That's a hell of a lineup, not just of Doctors. I'd go just to listen to Janet Fielding and Mark Strickson participate in a panel!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He would've made an entertaining Doctor himself.

Behold, pictured here alongside the Master:

He appeared on screen with two Masters! (Anthony Ainley, sans beard, was in an episode of Department S.)

Great new av, BTW.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Great new av, BTW.

I was due a change anyway. I like to imagine all my posts being read in Peter Wyngarde's voice now.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TinTower posted:

I never get tired of rewatching that scene

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

I don't like that actual line, but the sequence leading up to it (especially the little montage of all the previous Doctors with Eleven stepping out through it) is sheer brilliance.

Just ending with "Hello. I'm the Doctor." would have been much more effective, and would still have set up the running theme of the Doctor's legend becoming too big and frightening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

docbeard posted:

I don't like that actual line, but the sequence leading up to it (especially the little montage of all the previous Doctors with Eleven stepping out through it) is sheer brilliance.

Just ending with "Hello. I'm the Doctor." would have been much more effective, and would still have set up the running theme of the Doctor's legend becoming too big and frightening.

Split the difference. "Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically ..." then the Atraxi eye peaces out, and then the Doctor gives a little smirk and a scoff in the brilliant way only Matt Smith could do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm personally a bigger fan of "I'm definitely a madman with a box," followed by the Matt Smith laugh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Next Doctor and the scene in the Day of the Doctor where we got the advance peak at Capaldi's eyebrows makes me think how great it would be if they pulled that off on a larger scale. Very secretly cast the next Doctor and have him her show up 5 or 6 episodes before the end of the current Doctor's tenure but don't say who they actually are. Then when we get to the regeneration it's like HOLY poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

The Next Doctor and the scene in the Day of the Doctor where we got the advance peak at Capaldi's eyebrows makes me think how great it would be if they pulled that off on a larger scale. Very secretly cast the next Doctor and have him her show up 5 or 6 episodes before the end of the current Doctor's tenure but don't say who they actually are. Then when we get to the regeneration it's like HOLY poo poo.

I just don't think that would be possible in this day and age. As it is they didn't even film Whittaker's part of the regeneration until the day after her reveal, because if she were randomly seen around the Roath Lock studio in Cardiff beforehand, everyone would have known something was up.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
"Basically... run" works for me mostly because of the way Matt Smith's face goes from pleasantly goofy to threatening in the span of the sentence

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I just don't think that would be possible in this day and age. As it is they didn't even film Whittaker's part of the regeneration until the day after her reveal, because if she were randomly seen around the Roath Lock studio in Cardiff beforehand, everyone would have known something was up.

But it would be so much fun!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

But it would be so much fun!

If I were a terminally ill actor of renown, I'd want to film a cameo for a TV show that I anticipated running a long time and at the same time secretly film an additional scene for the end of the series, so that years after everyone thought I was gone, I'd have one last surprise scene, like I was coming back from the grave to say goodbye.

No one will ever pull it off, though. Too many people involved in filming even a single scene; one of them would talk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

If I were a terminally ill actor of renown, I'd want to film a cameo for a TV show that I anticipated running a long time and at the same time secretly film an additional scene for the end of the series, so that years after everyone thought I was gone, I'd have one last surprise scene, like I was coming back from the grave to say goodbye.

No one will ever pull it off, though. Too many people involved in filming even a single scene; one of them would talk.

That would also be aces.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Timby posted:

Actually, giving them a normal role would probably lessen this. You film the new Doctor's regeneration scene in secret while giving them a mundane supporting role in another episode, they've got an alibi for being around. Keep the staff for the regeneration scene small, trustworthy and tight-lipped as possible, which they have done before, and most of that work is done; some people might leak (although that's why you're picking trustworthy staff), but by the time they get a chance to the rumors about the next Doctor will be flying anyway.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Bicyclops posted:

That's basically what they did with Catherine Coulson in Twin Peaks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched the Eleventh Hour this morning and it's still so much fun.

Rory realizing that the Doctor got rid of the aliens and is now calling them back.... :xd:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I like it.
Or how about just a Bill & Ted series where the Doctor gets out of scrapes with a bit of luck here or there (like reaching for the key just out of arms reach, and he JUST manages to get it, or a bullet is deflected from a passing car just at that second), and the last episode is her going back to set up ALL of those things to ensure she is at the present spot to stop the daleks or whoever in the last episode. You then see her push the key, or drive the car that gets the bullet, whatever.
And you could Futurama it by going back and seeing a lock of hair here, or a shadow there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It wouldn't be that hard really. Just the way Eleven's first season worked but MORE SECRETS.

Edit: Has there been an update on the Heaven Sent/Hell Bent soundtrack release?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure the Name of the Doctor was that idea taken to its logical conclusion.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

"Basically... run" works for me mostly because of the way Matt Smith's face goes from pleasantly goofy to threatening in the span of the sentence

Agreed, but I think the threat starts at the "there have been others, what happened to them?"

The whole scene is just wonderful. The Doctor slowly helping the giant eyeball in front of him realize just how hard they stepped in it.

E: not the same scene, but I'll always have respect for Smith's reading of "What...? Did you think no one was watching?" line.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 20, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh good now I miss Matt Smith all over again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite exchanges from Rings of Akhaten:

Clara: It's really big.
Doctor: I've seen bigger :smug:
Clara: Really?
Doctor: Are you joking? It's massive!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Happy Birthday, Tom!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/954690051245527040

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Well Capaldi isn't wasting any time jumping into the convention circuit...

https://regenerationwho.com/guests/

That's a hell of a lineup, not just of Doctors. I'd go just to listen to Janet Fielding and Mark Strickson participate in a panel!

If only I was willing to give money to that con. :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maera Sior posted:

If only I was willing to give money to that con. :argh:

Is it a bad place? I had a very bad experience with the Chicago Tardis organizer which has kept me away from that con.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That picture with Alex Kingston is beautiful and terrifying in equal measures.

Happy birthday Tom Baker.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Is it a bad place? I had a very bad experience with the Chicago Tardis organizer which has kept me away from that con.

From what I recall, the events are organized just fine. However, they're a for-profit media con and I've heard some things about the way they've treated some volunteers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MisterBibs posted:

Agreed, but I think the threat starts at the "there have been others, what happened to them?"

The whole scene is just wonderful. The Doctor slowly helping the giant eyeball in front of him realize just how hard they stepped in it.

E: not the same scene, but I'll always have respect for Smith's reading of "What...? Did you think no one was watching?" line.

The score is just spot on as well. "I am the doctor" is still probably my favourite bit of music from the revival (my favourite from the classic series is, of course, "cleaner bot slowly traverses a corridor").

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally found that gif I mentioned of the fat guy staring at the tower.

Also reached Planet of the Dead, which isn't that bad of a special. It not great, but I enjoyed watching it. Think the main reason is because I finally hit the point the show is in HD and the desert planet looked so beautiful.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't that Ian Levine?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mameluke posted:

Isn't that Ian Levine?

No

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's Stephen O'Donnell in an Ian Levine fan film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How influential has this show been on all of your lives?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It's massively affected my gait when I'm holding an umbrella.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fil5000 posted:

It's massively affected my gait when I'm holding an umbrella.

I saw a girl wearing a Fourth scarf out at Costco today. Dragging it on the floor behind her and everything.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I used to respect myself a lot more

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I'm a lot more prone to flapping my hands about when talking about things
And turning about a bit whenever I get up to go somewhere
And grinning like a loon for no particular reason

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anywhere I can get a replacement eye socket for the Titan figure Dalek? I found one for only 4 bucks at Half-Price Books. It was dirt cheap because the figure came with a second laser arm instead of the eye socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

It has definitely influenced my sex life.

or lack thereof

• Locked thread