Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have never had a McDonalds and not followed up with another noun to describe what I have gotten from McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah political comics! A unique visual medium in which clever visual metaphors and visual cues are used to visually tell the audience your views. With visual. Nothing else is quite like it. Here we have one of the oldest examples:

Zesty posted:

More bible literalism from Dan.

Wait...isn't this the guy that screams about small Arks? There just seems to be a disconnect between "God couldn't fit all the animals on a small Ark, don't be stupid there are scientific answers right there in the Bible also God is all powerful and can do anything it says so right in the Bible so looking for scientific answers to God's miracles is stupid".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's dumb, Biblical Literalists jump through billions of hoops to explain how a literal reading of the bible makes sense considering all the evidence, such as 'we can see stars billion light years away because light used to travel faster!'

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

It would probably read better if you switched the speech bubbles.

Having both of them be "we can buy McDonald's" would work too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's dumb, Biblical Literalists jump through billions of hoops to explain how a literal reading of the bible makes sense considering all the evidence, such as 'we can see stars billion light years away because light used to travel faster!'
Huh. I did not know that. So there's basically an excuse for every bit of "physics and biology are a thing"?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Xander77 posted:

Huh. I did not know that. So there's basically an excuse for every bit of "physics and biology are a thing"?

Not that hard to justify these things really when you just have to reference God and fold your arms to “win” the argument.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You'd think so, but just look at sites like Answers in Genesis and you'll find pages upon pages of text trying to explain these things.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The weight of sin on our photons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think nowadays the standard line when confronted with scientific evidence that contradicts a literal reading of the Bible is "fake news." Today's lack of shared truth is a godsend to Biblical literalists.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
In particular, it's a lot less difficult to read Genesis with an understanding of genre and metaphor than it is to try to explain how the two contradictory stories in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 can both be literal historical accounts.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pakled posted:

I think nowadays the standard line when confronted with scientific evidence that contradicts a literal reading of the Bible is "fake news." Today's lack of shared truth is a godsend to Biblical literalists.

Also be careful if it isn't a quote they misremembered from James version.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I forgot new year means new thread, and I just read through all the posts and cartoons. Now I really wanna punch a nazi

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

the_steve posted:

Oh, please touch the poop with this one.
At the very least, remind me to put it up as a Best Edit candidate when the Gaybie repository goes up.

I'm not, nor have I ever been a poop toucher but if someone else wants to then go for it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Stevoblunt posted:

Ive gotta say this, this kind of stuff drives me nuts. They have sex in a theater and then right afterwards, without showering or cleaning off his cum-dick or her washing her genitals from all of their sex fluids, they go straight to dinner? That's loving gross. They're the people eating next to you at Denny's that smell like sex and body fluid and cigarettes and shame.

Sex happens.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Statistically? Yes.

http://time.com/3746047/diet-soda-weight-gain/

Another 2015 study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society found that people who drank diet soda gained almost triple the abdominal fat over nine years as those who didn’t drink diet soda. The study analyzed data from 749 people ages 65 and older who were asked, every couple of years, how many cans of soda they drank a day, and how many of those sodas were diet or regular.

Those answers ended up being extremely predictive of abdominal-fat gain, even after the researchers adjusted for factors like diabetes, smoking and levels of physical activity. People who didn’t drink diet soda gained about 0.8 in. around their waists over the study period, but people who drank diet soda daily gained 3.2 in. Those who fell in the middle — occasional drinkers of diet soda — gained about 1.8 in.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

loquacius posted:

As I understand it it's also what you spend all your time doing if you actually go to seminary or divinity school or whatever, but Lietha is probably one of those guys who sneers at ivory-tower ministers because really all you need is a bible which you have read at least once had your pastor tell you what a few of the parts say and mean.

Ftfy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

gently caress McCoy, anyone? Please? gently caress him to oblivion.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

:what:

I must be a dummy because this is incomprehensible.

Like the McCoy is the usual ILLEGAL VOTES and Ramirez is a total non-sequitur but this has me lost.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Polygynous posted:

Like the McCoy is the usual ILLEGAL VOTES and Ramirez is a total non-sequitur but this has me lost.

He's echoing the GOP party line that Democrats are betraying the beneficiaries of CHIP by shooting for protections for Dreamers. Of course, a more apt analogy would be a Republican holding a gun to the heads of a Dreamer and a CHIP recipient, asking a Democrat which one should die, and then getting mad when the Democrat says "neither."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Polygynous posted:

"Democrats are selling out their base for the benefit of illegals."

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mornacale posted:

I mean, maybe? Whatever, now I'm focused on how ridiculous that car looks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That's dumb. I only have the article to go on, but no poo poo, if you drink any type of soda you gain more weight than if you didn't.

The actually relevant question is whether you gain more weight than people who drink regular soda, due to the false assurance.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

loquacius posted:

I cannot believe someone who is not even a professional baker is this mad about wedding cakes

He's worried that when he totally gets married to his hot Asian girlfriend (that totally does exist) that he might end up with a wedding cake that got some gay on it, and that's the reason he's totally going to "accidentally" get drunk and gently caress Steve a few months later.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Okay, here's something I missed. Apparently two weeks ago, on the anniversary of the Charlie Hebdo shooting, Garrison posted this piece on his website only.

Garrison posted:

Charlie Hebdo mocked Texas victims of Hurricane Harvey when the French magazine painted them all as Nazis during the flooding of Houston. There were over 38 storm-related deaths and more than 30,000 people had to be evacuated to shelters.

According to Charlie Hebdo, God exists because he flooded the Nazis in Texas. This GrrrGraphics parody shows God does exist, because 3 years ago today, God did smite the Communists in France, using Charlie’s logic.

Today we are all not Charlie Hebdo!

jesus loving christ this guy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

What were they fed growing up, lead paint and spite?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mornacale posted:

Back around Windsor/Obergefell, Lester did a lot of "black people hate Democrats for supporting gay marriage!" cartoons. He thinks he's clever and can play the Democratic base against itself. Or he wants his Republican readers to think that, at least.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Polygynous posted:

Except notice how DACA are not white and the dems are. The biggest thread in this is the classic "if you care about immigrants you're not caring about whites".

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Why was that man carrying a shrimp around :confused:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Soho Joe posted:

Why was that man carrying a shrimp around :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croissant

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Polygynous posted:

"Democratic leaders are very out of touch with what their constituents want because they are throwing them over for MEXICANS" this analogy is made by using a car with only so many seats because if political parties are known for one thing it's how restricted their sizes are? Also "if there's one thing the people that joined the only party that at least pays lip service to caring about immigrants HATES it's immigrants so what are Dem leaders THINKING by supporting immigrants??? Now the party who's head is a billionaire with a multimillionaire cabinet who just raised taxes on everyone but themselves is the party of the people! The man who LITERALLY LIVES IN A TOWER OF GOLD represents his people so much better than the Democrats!"

Basically Lester doesn't give a gently caress about anybody but himself and his team so he just assumes the same is true of everyone and he's trying to rub it in Democrat faces.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

(It's a reference to PYF.)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Oh good, now someone's legally required to explain the overused forums joke, again

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

You must be new here.

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/food-fad-shrimp/1/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VideoGameVet posted:

Statistically? Yes.

http://time.com/3746047/diet-soda-weight-gain/

Another 2015 study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society found that people who drank diet soda gained almost triple the abdominal fat over nine years as those who didn’t drink diet soda. The study analyzed data from 749 people ages 65 and older who were asked, every couple of years, how many cans of soda they drank a day, and how many of those sodas were diet or regular.

Those answers ended up being extremely predictive of abdominal-fat gain, even after the researchers adjusted for factors like diabetes, smoking and levels of physical activity. People who didn’t drink diet soda gained about 0.8 in. around their waists over the study period, but people who drank diet soda daily gained 3.2 in. Those who fell in the middle — occasional drinkers of diet soda — gained about 1.8 in.

I can't access the latter study atm, but if it's the study I'm thinking of, it didn't control for really basic factors. The former is similarly flawed (they used self-report maternal BMI for more than half the sample, and they didn't do any covariates on any other part of dietary intake, for example). Nutrition science is generally a mess, and there's a big filedrawer and CoI problem when it comes to sweetener research (caloric or not). There's good money and publications to be had in running inadequate studies showing a particular sweetener is unhealthy, so some alternative (which coincidentally has a large lobby and funds other research you do) is better. There's also a big ideological commitment to the believe that "artificial" sweeteners have to have a catch of some kind.

At a minimum, an adequate artificial sweetener weight gain study would need to propose and directly test a specific mechanism of action- that sweeteners change appetite, for example, or metabolism, and then actually, directly test this with really strict elements, such as diet controls and observations with double blind testing. This isn't often done because it's extremely expensive, but, well, it turns out that a bunch of other things that can lead to overweight or weight gain are also correlated with, or indirectly caused by, diet soda consumption.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 20, 2018

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Xander77 posted:

That's dumb. I only have the article to go on, but no poo poo, if you drink any type of soda you gain more weight than if you didn't.

The actually relevant question is whether you gain more weight than people who drink regular soda, due to the false assurance.

How is it "no poo poo, if you drink [zero calorie] soda you gain more weight than if you didn't?" I mean, yes, studies show it may be true, but it isn't obvious to any normal consumer.

(Edit: Discendo Vox write prettier than I do.)

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 20, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Lord Hydronium posted:

Hell, there's stuff in the Talmud of rabbis arguing with God about what certain passages mean. And winning.

God should pick his battles better.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

Hell, there's stuff in the Talmud of rabbis arguing with God about what certain passages mean. And winning.

Can you direct me to these passages? I love to read about rabbinic scholars for some reasons.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zesty posted:

More bible literalism from Dan.

Humans were created both before and after animals. Reconciling these stories requires no mental gymnastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Mind posted:

(Edit: Discendo Vox write prettier than I do.)
"We don't know whether sugar actually counts as calories" is kinda his thing.