Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:aaaaa:

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How did this magical thing happen?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How did this magical thing happen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfdIGG36GgU&t=5s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This is incredible. Thank you. Thank you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Got into a fun discussion today that this thread might enjoy pondering.

Let's say that, for bullshit legal reasons, you want to encrypt something and NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession. So for the password, you use the hash signature of a particular file, and then you don't keep a copy of that file yourself, anywhere. Whenever the time comes to decrypt -- and it will likely be many years in the future -- you'll have your encrypted data, and the software to do the decryption, but not the file whose hash is the key. You'll have to trust in your ability to track down another copy of that same file. Remember, it has to be bit-for-bit identical or it won't work.

Put aside the question of whether the legal trick would work (spoiler: no) and just go with the premise. What file do you choose? What are you confident you'll still be able to find in the future, let's say 25 years from now?

We kicked this around and arrived at what I think is a great answer: The ROM of a reasonably popular old video game cartridge. You aren't depending on a single source (which might go out of business or something), there isn't going to be a new edition of it (at least not one that would displace the original version), and it's not the sort of thing that would be casually altered (like an image or sound file being re-encoded in a new file format). Someone out there will still be preserving these things as a hobby. And hell, if it came right down to it, you could even try to track down original hardware and re-rip the data yourself.

Other ideas?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Let's say that, for bullshit legal reasons, you want to encrypt something and NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession. So for the password, you use the hash signature of a particular file, and then you don't keep a copy of that file yourself, anywhere. Whenever the time comes to decrypt -- and it will likely be many years in the future -- you'll have your encrypted data, and the software to do the decryption, but not the file whose hash is the key. You'll have to trust in your ability to track down another copy of that same file. Remember, it has to be bit-for-bit identical or it won't work.

Put aside the question of whether the legal trick would work (spoiler: no) and just go with the premise. What file do you choose? What are you confident you'll still be able to find in the future, let's say 25 years from now?

We kicked this around and arrived at what I think is a great answer: The ROM of a reasonably popular old video game cartridge. You aren't depending on a single source (which might go out of business or something), there isn't going to be a new edition of it (at least not one that would displace the original version), and it's not the sort of thing that would be casually altered (like an image or sound file being re-encoded in a new file format). Someone out there will still be preserving these things as a hobby. And hell, if it came right down to it, you could even try to track down original hardware and re-rip the data yourself.

Other ideas?

Hmm but how good are you at resisting interrogation/torture?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powered Descent posted:

Other ideas?
In 25 years there's likely going to be a real good exploit for whatever encryption method you used.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Powered Descent posted:

Other ideas?

Someone in a position to acquire a password from your memory/elsewhere in your possession is probably equally able to track down a copy of a particular video game rom once you've told them what they're looking for.

Essentially your password is now the string "the sha-256 of the original mario rom", and the decryption process starts with "track down a copy of the named file".

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

You know this question was answered by nerds when the first thing that comes to mind is a game ROM file instead of the hash of some famous text, like from a book.

Your program could strip all whitespace/linebreaks/punctuation and hash the lowercase ASCII encoding of a few hundred letters (set number, no matter how much text was entered.) You'd just have to remember: use part 3, chapter 4 of Crime and Punishment (or bible verses if you're so inclined.)

This would allow you to decrypt offline by manually typing in the characters from a paper copy. If you were monitored, this would be less obvious than your sudden interest in finding Bubble_Bobble.nes in the year 2043.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Other ideas?

Well there's lots of version of game roms (have a look at ToSEC for a start), so something more fundamental would be better, maybe your DNA sequence, the atomic weights of the first n elements, the gps/gallileo co-ords of your house or the strength of the weak nuclear force at n quarks or whatever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
everyone replying to that could have just stopped with the part where he says "NOT keep the password in your memory" and then talks about remembering a thing. that's asinine whether the thing is a loving game ROM or digits 69 through 420 of pi.

the only way to keep an encrypted file that you can't be persuaded to decrypt, legally or by rubber hose, would be to have someone else choose the password and not tell you what it is. and that person should probably live in a different country, and have been told not to reveal the password until you see them in person. no matter how desperate you sound on the phone.

and now you're dealing with the consequences, legally or rubber hose wise, of carrying an encrypted file that the Opposition claims is CP or NSA secrets or the mafia's bitcoin address or whatever the gently caress else, and you can't decrypt it. so whatever you're carrying better be worse / more important than anything you have a chance of being accused of.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Let's say that, for bullshit legal reasons, you want to encrypt something and NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession.

Other ideas?

Use the first 10-15 words of lorem ipsum, you're never gonna remember that poo poo

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This story is relevant.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 20, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Let's say that, for bullshit legal reasons, you want to encrypt something and NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession.
Other ideas?

I was just about to suggest a FIDO U2F key, but then I realized you said: "NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession. ". The key would obviously mean that the "password" would be kept somewhere in your possession. To be fair it could be a vault in a bank, with specific instructions that Trump, Obama and Bush have to be present personally for that box to be opened. But still, it fails that requirement.

Without keeping the password (in some way, shape or form) I don't see how the data can be decrypted, ever. Even if you have an algorithm that can generate the password from a known set of bytes (book, PI, or game roms) , then that set of bytes is essentially the password. So, you need to have the password.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Use Hello.jpg, nerds will never give that up.

:goatsecx:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is it the part of the thread where we discuss using pictures as passwords again?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is it the part of the thread where we discuss using pictures as passwords again?

goatman is my password

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Just use a secure combination of letters and numbers, like kjs500.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jeoh posted:

goatman is my password

my gape is my passport, verify me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Password1!

Except replace the o with a zero.

You're welcome for this badass security tip.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Password1!

Except replace the o with a zero.

You're welcome for this badass security tip.

I can now successfully attack contoso.com

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Microsoft hates him!

See how one man made $10,000 in one afternoon with ONE WEIRD SECURITY TRICK

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Klyith posted:

my gape is my passport, verify me

So just shove a iris scanner up there or do you have someone hold it for you?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
when the feds ask me what my password is, i’ll tell them “i don’t know what my password is” and they’ll get super mad that i owned them but that’s literally my password

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

when the feds ask me what my password is, i’ll tell them “i don’t know what my password is” and they’ll get super mad that i owned them but that’s literally my password

if you have an iPhone X they'll just point it at your face lol pwned

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

...would that actually work? I'm imagining some sort of "Who's On First" skit in my head, and it's loving hilarious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

...would that actually work? I'm imagining some sort of "Who's On First" skit in my head, and it's loving hilarious.

"Give us your password!"
"What!"
"The password to your computer!"
"What!"
""The password you use to login to your computer!"
"What"
*Sigh* "Okay, let's start over. You sign in to your computer, right?"
"Right."
"So you type something in."
"Yes."
"What do you type in?"
"The password."
"So your password is the password?"
"No, the password is my username!"
"So both your username and password are the password?"
"No."
"So what is your password?"
"What."
"What!"
"The password you use to login to your computer!"
"What!!"
"Stop saying "what" or so help me God I will kill you!"
"I'm just trying to help!"

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

My password is "I murdered a homeless person 5 years ago", but I can invoke my 5th Amendment rights not to self-incriminate by telling anyone that*

*except they already ruled that you can just enter it - they don't care what it is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Martytoof posted:

if you have an iPhone X they'll just point it at your face lol pwned

Ha! that's where you're wrong, feds!

I've secretly trained my iphone X to unlock only when pointed at my balls

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
"My password is the first 64 bytes of the 3rd file on a flashdrive that was sitting on my desk when you stormed in and siezed everything. You have it somewhere, and I just told you what it is."

Hint: You're still lying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

Ha! that's where you're wrong, feds!

I've secretly trained my iphone X to unlock only when pointed at my balls

Didn't realize the faceid camera had 100x zoom

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Martytoof posted:

Didn't realize the faceid camera had 100x zoom

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
One of the images on https://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

That page has been up since the web was created. Put like people said, you can be pressured to reveal which member of the Monstars is your password.

If i was super worried about leaking a sensitive password a dead-man or, in this case, a jailed-man switch to delete your password stored somewhere would not require another person to possibly leak the information.

[

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Give us your password!"
"What!"
"What!"
"What"
"Right."
"Yes."
"What do you type in?"
"The password."
"No."
"What."
"What!"
"What!!"

Haha, that works pretty well!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Give us your password!"
"What!"
"What!"
"What"
"Right."
"Yes."
"What do you type in?"
"The password."
"No."
"What."
"What!"
"What!!"

Reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLE7zsJk4AI

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nice.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Give us your password!"
"What!"
"What!"
"What"
"Right."
"Yes."
"What do you type in?"
"The password."
"No."
"What."
"What!"
"What!!"

Or even better, The Lion and The Unicorn episode of Batman: TAS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

duz posted:

Or even better, The Lion and The Unicorn episode of Batman: TAS.

I haven't watched that show in ages. :shrug:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I haven't watched that show in ages. :shrug:

The passphrase was the title line. To "fight" the truth serum, Alfred constantly said fantasy phrases so the truth sounded like the nonsense he was babbling. It's not as Abott and Costello, but still amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

duz posted:

The passphrase was the title line. To "fight" the truth serum, Alfred constantly said fantasy phrases so the truth sounded like the nonsense he was babbling. It's not as Abott and Costello, but still amusing.

I see.

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM