Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just got a Lion and played a game. Impressions:
  • This boat looks sweet as hell
  • Oh my god these turret angles are garabge
  • No seriously the rear turret can only fire forward at around 44 loving degrees off the bow
  • At least these guns themselves seem pretty okay
  • BB super-heal will never not be hilarious

Strabo4 posted:

I imagine if your WR is crap but your stats are decent that you might not be taking advantage of the radar to properly gently caress up DDs early-game, a well-positioned Missouri can effectively end a push on one or more caps.
Just remember that you shouldn't try to force a Radar; just position yourself well somewhat okay and decent and let things happen naturally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_Xmgwsfz4&t=236s

Lakedaimon posted:

Yeah you can basically use HE almost exclusively. But if you run into Admiral Tunnelvision, or somebody beached, or is stuck broadside driving through a torp salvo go ahead and load AP for the next shot. At the lower tiers you can get citadels against the old thinly armored cruisers from the 20s and 30s, and at higher tiers, ships like the Neptune/Kutuzov can eat them too. The Monarch arguably has the worst HE shells in the line so I tended to use AP more than the other ships. Cruisers trying to torp rush me was usually the only time I went AP in some of the other ships.

Anyone else remember the original version of hotspot? Where it split your team into two in opposite corners of the map?
Monarch and QE get a lot of :geno: from people but I think they're probably the best balanced ships in the line. Compared to their previous tiers your HE performance is notably worse, but your AP performance is much better. The result is that you're forced to actually lean on AP harder and switch between HE and AP more frequently rather than just spamming HE non-stop and not giving a poo poo. Honestly the whole line should have been set to that standard rather than having such ridiculous HE but I guess it's a bit late for that now.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

So following the headache that was grinding through the Emerald to get to the Leander, it set me thinking about other classes. Is there an overall guide out there that tells you which lines are worth spending time on and at what point you should stop? General advice like "this class isn't worth chasing beyond tier IV" or "only the tier VII is any good, skip the rest as fast as you can and then stop" would be great.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Roller Coast Guard posted:

So following the headache that was grinding through the Emerald to get to the Leander, it set me thinking about other classes. Is there an overall guide out there that tells you which lines are worth spending time on and at what point you should stop? General advice like "this class isn't worth chasing beyond tier IV" or "only the tier VII is any good, skip the rest as fast as you can and then stop" would be great.

I don't think any other tree has anything as egregious as Emerald. The worst you can say about the other frequent targets of complaints (La Gal, Queen Liz, Hipper, Izumo, etc) are they're mediocre.

What's worth spending time on depends on what you enjoy doing. You need to play most trees to T6 to get a sense of how they work and whether they're fun for you personally.

The only lines I'd outright avoid even if you liked the play style are German BBs (the meta has not been kind to them, and there's great premium sisters to the two best ones) and IJN DDs (they got nerfed hard, and other nations do everything they do better).

davejk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 20, 2018

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
German BB are still pretty cool up to T7, I wouldn't bother buying the Bismark now.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How do you balance the midway? Cut her fighters to tier 8 and 9.

https://m.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/posts/2000327686960235

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
German BB winrates appear to be pretty good on the various stat sites (~50% or higher). Why is it a line to avoid? I just started leveling that line after enjoying the Sharn and Tirpitz.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Maximum dispersion on KM BBs is a constant source of frustration for most people. They also have a large amount of superstructure to shoot. Finally, if this applies to you in any way, they are non-competitive.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
German BBs had problems before they added the British BBs and AP bombs. Now? :whitewater: As someone who's first big boy BB was a Bismarck, every other BB line is better in some way. German BBs will probably be slightly less poo poo when the egregious tier 8-10 maps are reshaped, but even then, eh.

On the other hand, the secondaries can be really funny sometimes. I've detonated DDs I never even noticed because they decloaked to shoot at me and one of my gunners spit on them. They're also nasty as gently caress when you do manage to press a brawl with another BB, but chances are when you go in like that, you are definitely going to die because you're too large and too slow to ever retreat.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Has anyone (even Wargaming) theorycrafted sensible changes to make carriers actually fun and balanced for everyone involved? Part of me wants them to be deleted entirely but then I also want them to expand the range to other nations so I can have my HMS Ark Royal loving poo poo up with Swordfish :britain:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Wargaming did themselves and everyone else a disservice by creating a situation where torpedo drop patterns and bomb types were dependent on unique ships, e.g. Kaga, Enterprise. While USN CVs eventually got AP bombs and better plane configurations, it might have been far more dynamic to allow players to choose drop patterns with a difference in overall configuration and squadron size instead.

I'm leery of their ability to expand to other nations without ruining it for everyone again.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Wargaming did themselves and everyone else a disservice by creating a situation where torpedo drop patterns and bomb types were dependent on unique ships, e.g. Kaga, Enterprise. While USN CVs eventually got AP bombs and better plane configurations, it might have been far more dynamic to allow players to choose drop patterns with a difference in overall configuration and squadron size instead.

I'm leery of their ability to expand to other nations without ruining it for everyone again.

They really just need to step back and review the code and gameplay they want out of cvs. The current system is bad for everyone. Strafes that do minimal damage, higher tier fighters still getting their clock clean by lower tier fighters because of the boolean check. UI that fights you the entire time. No clear signal on aa bubbles around ships. I could keep going really, but you get the idea. Carriers at t6/7 especially being hampered by their still limiting hangar bays versus the kind of poo poo they have to face when it comes tot he aa creep at those tiers and higher.

The planes still feel like you are really just controlling rts controlling the modules from other ships. And the system still steps on itself when it confuses if the module belongs to you or something else.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

xanif posted:

German BB winrates appear to be pretty good on the various stat sites (~50% or higher). Why is it a line to avoid? I just started leveling that line after enjoying the Sharn and Tirpitz.

Scharnhorst and Tirpitz are probably the two best German BBs in the game. If you already have those, you're not going to get much out of levelling the tech tree.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
To make CVs a good part of the game:

1. Eliminate national flavors as A Huge Deal. They should be marginal differences that offer some variety, not huge things that require a lot of thought and effort to balance. The current disparity between US and Japanese CVs is a product of this and an illustration of why it should be eliminated.

2. Factor some kind of skill into AAA. The machine guns can be AI controlled, but the cannons should have some kind of player input. This accomplishes two things: it makes the player feel like they're having an active effect on the planes, and it motivates the CVs to harass people with planes so they're distracted from firing on targets.

3. Don't allow players to customize squadrons because they'll do dumb poo poo that fucks over their team. Strike configs come to mind.

4. Redo the UI and controls to make them more responsive, clearer, etc.

5. Buff tier 7 CVs. They already hosed themselves with the Saipan and they haven't stopped selling it, so this is the only option to deal with it.

6. If every new premium CV has to have some overpowered gimmick maybe stop making premium CVs, idiots

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

To make CVs a good part of the game:

1. Eliminate national flavors as A Huge Deal. They should be marginal differences that offer some variety, not huge things that require a lot of thought and effort to balance. The current disparity between US and Japanese CVs is a product of this and an illustration of why it should be eliminated.

2. Factor some kind of skill into AAA. The machine guns can be AI controlled, but the cannons should have some kind of player input. This accomplishes two things: it makes the player feel like they're having an active effect on the planes, and it motivates the CVs to harass people with planes so they're distracted from firing on targets.

3. Don't allow players to customize squadrons because they'll do dumb poo poo that fucks over their team. Strike configs come to mind.

4. Redo the UI and controls to make them more responsive, clearer, etc.

5. Buff tier 7 CVs. They already hosed themselves with the Saipan and they haven't stopped selling it, so this is the only option to deal with it.

6. If every new premium CV has to have some overpowered gimmick maybe stop making premium CVs, idiots

Actually, there is some skill in aa for number 2. There is a dps increase if you ctrl-left click a squadron. That is at the sacrifice of shooting other squads in the area, but that works for any ship. The problem is that tier 6/7 especially struggle to have the plane count to harass anyone as they can't afford the planes for it.

Comedy option: planes are more fragile, but squad count/size dictated by the hangar size. Or even half hangar size. Thus, a midway can field either more squads or larger squads compared to an independence. Some plane upgrade happens of course. But total plane count across squads equals to hangar or half hangar size. Move from there and give carriers infinite planes. Then you assist your team because I don't have to fear running out of planes. Likewise, potatoes can't be deplaned and cost your team the air war completely.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Right now carriers loving suck both for the carrier players AND their targets. Neither one feels like they have much say in how things go and have to deal with arbitrary bullshit like "oh poo poo my entire squadron just got deleted in a second" or "oh poo poo suddenly there's a 5 spread of torpedoes 500 meters to my side, time to die".

They should also take out poo poo like strafing, which seems to massively imbalance fighter encounters and probably makes balancing them a nightmare.

It loving sucks and I stopped playing my Independence.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

xanif posted:

They haven't implemented British carriers yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ElMaligno posted:

They haven't implemented British carriers yet.

Yet they saw fit to already implement the half finished Hun hulk called the Graf Zeppelin, the blaggards :wotwot:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 20, 2018

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JuffoWup posted:

They really just need to step back and review the code and gameplay they want out of cvs. The current system is bad for everyone. Strafes that do minimal damage, higher tier fighters still getting their clock clean by lower tier fighters because of the boolean check. UI that fights you the entire time. No clear signal on aa bubbles around ships. I could keep going really, but you get the idea. Carriers at t6/7 especially being hampered by their still limiting hangar bays versus the kind of poo poo they have to face when it comes tot he aa creep at those tiers and higher.

The planes still feel like you are really just controlling rts controlling the modules from other ships. And the system still steps on itself when it confuses if the module belongs to you or something else.
If it's any consolation, WG clearly agrees with you since the whole reason the 2017 CV rework didn't drop was due to them deciding to scrap everything and rework the entire CV and AA systems. Mind you this is the company that took like 8/9 months to give Ranger/Lex a fighter with their strike loadout and Midway 2 TB squads so who knows how long CVs are going to languish in their current state.

JuffoWup posted:

Actually, there is some skill in aa for number 2. There is a dps increase if you ctrl-left click a squadron. That is at the sacrifice of shooting other squads in the area, but that works for any ship. The problem is that tier 6/7 especially struggle to have the plane count to harass anyone as they can't afford the planes for it.
That's not really a sacrifice though; each AA aura* can attack a separate squadron but that's actually a bad thing because you're splitting your AA DPS. Even if you didn't get the DPS increase from ctrl+click, it would be worth doing still to focus your AA on a single squadron instead of splitting your AA and shooting down less planes.

Also I don't think T7 CVs really have that bad a hangar capacity; the T8s of both lines have the same amount of hangar space too (and in the Ranger -> Lex case, you actually lose a plane, going from 73 -> 72), and it's only at T9 you actually see a hangar size increase. In fact, T7, being the first tier you get a fleet CV, is the first time that you really have a hangar size that's capable of absorbing a blow or two, and as long as you're not throwing your planes away at AA heavy ships (as pubbies are apt to do) even an average player should be able to avoid getting de-planed in a mid-length match.

100% agreed on T6 having horrible capacity though; I'm looking at you Independence.

*I've never got an answer on whether or not each distinct AA range gets its own aura or if it's just split into short/medium/long ranges. Based on the in-game UI when you hold H I'm assuming the latter.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

NTRabbit posted:

Yet they saw fit to already implement the half finished Hun hulk called the Graf Zeppelin, the blaggards :wotwot:

Imma crack open a tall boy on the fascists boys.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ElMaligno posted:

Imma crack open a tall boy on the fascists boys.

Take the cane out of the cupboard and give that Bohemian corporal a drat good thrashing

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tonight's highlight: a DD player who got spotted and took 50% damage, decided it was the CV player's fault (a new player who had bought a Kaga after 200 games and wasn't that amazing), spent several minutes bitching and whining about it in chat while making a beeline directly back to our spawn, then went and shot two full salvos into the Kaga (a couple of which got me as a side effect) to cap it off.

Of course Wargaming won't do poo poo about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got around to giving this game a go. Ignored anime girls on the steam page but I think I might be gay for destroyers :ohdear:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The anime girls are not actually the game's main selling point and you can hide them completely if so inclined.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

The anime girls are not actually the game's main selling point and you can hide them completely if so inclined.

Unless you install mod packs in which case you can pick from anime girls, naked anime girls, different kinds of anime girls, what I would guess based on the mod name to be outrageously underaged anime girls and so on.

Seriously what's wrong with the people who play this game that anime girl ship skins, anime girl captain icons, anime girl boat icons etc are the biggest mod industry

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Der Shovel posted:

Unless you install mod packs in which case you can pick from anime girls, naked anime girls, different kinds of anime girls, what I would guess based on the mod name to be outrageously underaged anime girls and so on.

Seriously what's wrong with the people who play this game that anime girl ship skins, anime girl captain icons, anime girl boat icons etc are the biggest mod industry

Would you prefer the MLP modders to usurp the anime modders as the dominant captain skin replacement?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got around to giving this game a go. Ignored anime girls on the steam page but I think I might be gay for destroyers :ohdear:

We have a handful of people in the GiP discord that play this game and war thunder.

only downside is that I might post what your ship waifu looks like in that Japanese card game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

xanif posted:

Would you prefer the MLP modders to usurp the anime modders as the dominant captain skin replacement?

Choosing between two types of cancers isn't a great choice :(

Has anyone played the Roma yet? My only experience is facing one in my Duke of York and murdering the poo poo out of it, but the player was horrible so I wouldn't make reaching conclusions based on that.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

How do I get rid of the Anime Battleships that have been making GBS threads up my port since however long ago they were spawned there?

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Roller Coast Guard posted:

How do I get rid of the Anime Battleships that have been making GBS threads up my port since however long ago they were spawned there?

Small icon of cogs on the right side of the screen in the port right over your ship list.

You can hide most special camos and remove the ARP boats from your list.

(you will take my neon pink weebbotes from my cold, dead hands :colbert:)

Tathris fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 20, 2018

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Turning them off does make calling targets in voice chat extremely confusing, though, since the ARP ships appear with different names depending on whether you have the anime stuff on or off.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Sometimes you can't carry enough:

Bonus LOLConqueror damage:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Always have your animes on. That's the secret to 65%~ winrate.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Tathris posted:

Small icon of cogs on the right side of the screen in the port right over your ship list.

You can hide most special camos and remove the ARP boats from your list.

(you will take my neon pink weebbotes from my cold, dead hands :colbert:)

I havent used any of those ARP ships in forever did they take away the voices from the captains too? That was really the only novelty of them

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

I havent used any of those ARP ships in forever did they take away the voices from the captains too? That was really the only novelty of them

The voices are still in. You can even set them as the default voice for all of your ships if you want to.

e: They also changed it a while back so you can use the anime captains for any IJN ship and still move them to the ARP ships without retraining. So you can use the ships as sort-of captain trainers now if you can be bothered to swap all your default captains out.

Tathris fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 21, 2018

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lakedaimon posted:

I havent used any of those ARP ships in forever did they take away the voices from the captains too?

Still there in theory but still broken like Seagal in practice. :wargaming:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

Tonight's highlight: a DD player who got spotted and took 50% damage, decided it was the CV player's fault (a new player who had bought a Kaga after 200 games and wasn't that amazing), spent several minutes bitching and whining about it in chat while making a beeline directly back to our spawn, then went and shot two full salvos into the Kaga (a couple of which got me as a side effect) to cap it off.

Of course Wargaming won't do poo poo about it.

Just as a note here, but I'm aware of at least one example of someone forwarding a video of blatantly garbage behavior like this (in that case it was a dual division of DDs that was deliberately griefing their own CV for the entire match) to a community contributor (it was iChase), who both publicized it on his channel and forwarded it to WG, who supposedly did something about those shits.

So while you're right that the in-game system is utterly worthless, throwing Wargaming an actual video of something like that may actually have a chance of getting some kind of result.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Finally figured out the Mighty Mo. Consistent 60-100k damage games and a couple topping 160k. It was pretty much what you would expect: I stopped pushing too hard so I no longer end up in those "I'm 12k from 5 enemy ships that are all shooting at me", focused on staying with friendly ships and slowly working my way forward. Radar is a potentially powerful gimmick but don't get into a lovely position trying to force a use of it. Use the speed to join smaller fights at the fringe of the match and tip the scales. I also found it far better to stop shooting, regain concealment and just turn around if things get bad - the bow in attack is great late game but it doesn't work if you are outgunned/outnumbered.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

This went fantastic....

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

That poor Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Wow. That's kind of impressive.