Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't white people usually get to skip the Gitmo Goodtime and go straight to wherever they chained up Chelsea Manning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Tesseraction posted:

Don't white people usually get to skip the Gitmo Goodtime and go straight to wherever they chained up Chelsea Manning?

IIRC Manning went to a facility that was for military criminals only. Assange would probably still get Gitmo due to being a civilian and Gitmo not requiring you to actually be sentenced for anything.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So uhhhh what exactly did the SPD get out of the provisional coalition agreement or whatever's been signed now? From what I'm seeing in Dutch news it's almost 100% CDU content.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Over here in the English language press it apparently has a major concession of reversing the health insurance changes by the Schröder regime, so employers have to pay as much as employees instead of the employees having to pay increasingly large proportions of it.

Die PARTEI are clearly the true winners of this election. :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Orange Devil posted:

So uhhhh what exactly did the SPD get out of the provisional coalition agreement or whatever's been signed now? From what I'm seeing in Dutch news it's almost 100% CDU content.

They get to be decimated at the next election so I guess they are a bit Masochistic

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

One might argue that the coalition agreement also is 100% SPD content at the same time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

There are a lot of minor labor, pension, healthcare, etc. reforms in it, so it's gonna take some time to evaluate it for the press. There is definitely some interesting stuff in it, but overall, yeah, it's pretty meh. Not surprising though, the SPD program was meh already and a compromised version can only be worse than that. SPD completely folded on their refugee stance but got some concessions on EU, public investment and labor law

Flashy subjects:

- No middle class tax cuts like the CDU/CSU wanted; some low to modest public spending increase on social infrastructure
- EU budget increase, common investment budget for the Eurozone, EU wide minimum social standards, common European monetary fund
- Symbolic refugee limit of 200k p.a. (with no enforcement mechanism or consequence if it's exceeded yet); effectively no family reunions for refugees (limit of 1000 people p.a., under certain conditions); internment camps for all refugees until they receive asylum or are deported
- no explicit changes in climate policy, but new, strong re-commitment to climate protection and meeting current goals :rolleyes:

Here is a summary if you read Krautlanguage

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/sondierungsgespraeche-das-steht-im-abschlusstext-von-union-und-spd-1.3822621

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Malaver posted:

Last year the rape charges were dropped so he weathered that one. Formally, the only thing they have on him now is breaching bail. But his fear from the start wasn't any of that but the possibility of getting extradited to the US.

Orange Devil posted:

There was ofcourse the chance he'd be extradited to the US and kept in a torture camp for the rest of his life.

That doesn't make it ok for him to avoid punishment for rape. So maybe close your loving torture camps already?

If you're dumb enough to believe he was at risk of being extradited to the US, there's literally nothing stopping the UK from doing so. And for that matter, since he'd fled Sweden to the UK, that actually increased his chance of being extradited to the US since Sweden would have been less likely to comply with such a request. There were no extradition requests ever delivered publicly, which Sweden would require, and even if there had been the Swedish system of extradition allows quite substantial ways for proposed extraditee to contest the validity of that sort of request.

Once again though he only "weathered his rape charge" by serving more time in worse confinement conditions than he'd likely have served in Sweden if he'd ever been convicted on the charges.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

There are a lot of minor labor, pension, healthcare, etc. reforms in it, so it's gonna take some time to evaluate it for the press. There is definitely some interesting stuff in it, but overall, yeah, it's pretty meh. Not surprising though, the SPD program was meh already and a compromised version can only be worse than that. SPD completely folded on their refugee stance but got some concessions on EU, public investment and labor law

The party that got decimated for being practically invisible has decided to profile itself with minor details diffused over a plethora of subjects and a complete capitulation on a major issue.

Brilliant politicians, truly.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I think you'll find that centre-left neoliberal parties are dominant in European politics*.

* This message is from 1999.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

The party that got decimated for being practically invisible has decided to profile itself with minor details diffused over a plethora of subjects and a complete capitulation on a major issue.

Brilliant politicians, truly.

I think joining up with Merkel yet again is as close to suicide the SPD can get.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

I think joining up with Merkel yet again is as close to suicide the SPD can get.

If only there were cautionary tales along these lines to prevent people making such grave mistakes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If only there were cautionary tales along these lines to prevent people making such grave mistakes.

At least the SPD was relevant at some point.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

At least the SPD was relevant at some point.

Nick Clegg achieved *all* of his policy goals. Even as Cameron/Osborne offered to actually meet promises made in the Lib Dem manifesto.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Tabarnians continue taking the piss at the Catalonian independentists.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20180114/boadella-presidente-en-el-exitlio-de-tabarnia-6551261

Albert Boadella has been declared President-in-Exile of the Autonomous Region of Tabarnia. Boadella claimed to have chosen exile in Madrid in 2005 to escape "unbearable nationalist pressure" and independentist reprisals.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20180114/boadella-presidente-en-el-exitlio-de-tabarnia-6551261

Albert Boadella has been declared President-in-Exile of the Autonomous Region of Tabarnia. Boadella claimed to have chosen exile in Madrid in 2005 to escape "unbearable nationalist pressure" and independentist reprisals.

Poor Vargas Llosa, can't even get chosen as president in a fictitional country.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd say they are getting pretty good at it, too.

https://vimeo.com/251025638

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

beer_war posted:

I'd say they are getting pretty good at it, too.

https://vimeo.com/251025638

:getin:

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

It turns out that European leaders should fear a new British invasion very much, at least if The Sun is to be believed:

(larger version here)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pluskut Tukker posted:

It turns out that European leaders should fear a new British invasion very much, at least if The Sun is to be believed:

(larger version here)

This is so non-sensical it hurts. Like since when is the victory of Robert the Conqueror seen as a "humiliating defeat" which somehow the French lord over the British with their filthy tapestry?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like the idea that we could successfully invade Europe given we have basically no military poo poo to do it with and would have to pull in a bunch of overweight acloholics to fill the numbers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pluskut Tukker posted:

(larger version here)

at this point we should just kick britain out :v:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

suck my woke dick posted:

at this point we should just kick britain out :v:

Special passport queues for Sun readers that just lead 180 degrees to the next plane back to the UK :v:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I love that the only positive thing that has come out of Brexit yet is the new passport color. Nothing about the EU ever prevented Britain from changing the color :allears:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

And nobody under the age of 40 gave two shits about the colour, either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty much full on 'things are different, and I don't like it' directing national policy.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tesseraction posted:

I like the idea that we could successfully invade Europe given we have basically no military poo poo to do it with and would have to pull in a bunch of overweight acloholics to fill the numbers.

To be fair that describes most European militaries.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

(larger version here)

The UK is so hosed

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Greeks so poor they now can't even afford smoking - a 'rare feelgood story' from the Guardian.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hahaha, yeah, i definitely feel good about those people not being able to afford loving anything :cripes:

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
*in extremely GaussianCopula's voice*: "The Greeks indulging in their unhealty habits at the expense of the European taxpayers is a Moral Hazard, not to mention the increased expenses in healthcare which only creates more debt. Furthermore, given the inherent spendthrift nature of the swarthy Greek, this will make them understand the real value of money and when the Greek debt crisis will be *smrk* over they will come out as better people with a stronger character and a deficit spending not above the 0,5% of GDP. "

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Love Annie May posted:

*in extremely GaussianCopula's voice*: "The Greeks indulging in their unhealty habits at the expense of the European taxpayers is a Moral Hazard, not to mention the increased expenses in healthcare which only creates more debt. Furthermore, given the inherent spendthrift nature of the swarthy Greek, this will make them understand the real value of money and when the Greek debt crisis will be *smrk* over they will come out as better people with a stronger character and a deficit spending not above the 0,5% of GDP. "

lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I Love Annie May posted:

lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Schultz finally accepted the coalition with Merkel and Germany can actually start getting a government. In his speech, he said this marked a new start for Europe as Germany would no longer say "nein" to everything. We'll see what that translates to in facts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

So Schultz finally accepted the coalition with Merkel and Germany can actually start getting a government. In his speech, he said this marked a new start for Europe as Germany would no longer say "nein" to everything. We'll see what that translates to in facts.

Yeah he was a weak failure and I hope the party membership will scuttle the deal instead of rubber stamping it as usual. A minority government in Germany would not be the worst idea.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Reminder that we are still Germans, i.e. official coalition talks will start next week and take some time. After that, the base will get a mail vote on the agreement, which will take another month. Then, maybe, there will be a new government. Current estimates say to expect poo poo to be done around Easter.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Schultz might be the dumbest Soc Dem party leader in all of western Europe right now, and that's saying a lot. Hope they kick him out and replace him with somebody competent.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Schultz might be the dumbest Soc Dem party leader in all of western Europe right now, and that's saying a lot. Hope they kick him out and replace him with somebody competent.

He's the previous dumbest Soc Dem party leader in all of western Europe (Gabriel) but with a beard. And quite honestly most higher ups in the SPD are now tainted by association and need to spend one electoral cycle in opposition to help rebuild the party before they retire get purged.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cat Mattress posted:

Does he just want to finally kill off the SPD? Is Martin Schulz secretly a Trot infiltrator finally getting revenge on the party for murdering Rosa and Karl? Or is he just another dumb and venal third way neoliberal who is too short sighted to see people's growing frustration with the SPD continually propping up the CDU?

Don't answer that, let me dream this is all an elaborate accelerationist plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Does he just want to finally kill off the SPD? Is Martin Schulz secretly a Trot infiltrator finally getting revenge on the party for murdering Rosa and Karl? Or is he just another dumb and venal third way neoliberal who is too short sighted to see people's growing frustration with the SPD continually propping up the CDU?

Don't answer that, let me dream this is all an elaborate accelerationist plan.

When in doubt, assume the dumbest option is true.