Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
There are tons of Subway franchises that are closing nationwise amid complaints that the pricing promotions make it impossible to turn a profit. But no, it's a livable minimum wage in a dense urban area with lots of disposable income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Seattle's minimum wage law means I can't get a mediocre sub for $5 :qq: :qq:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/10/seattles-minimum-wage-killed-the-five

What's ridiculous about these kinds of articles is that they claim the poor are being hurt, but at the same time the business owners are complaining that they're losing money, so which is it? Where is that mystery money going? Either your low wage employees are eating up all your profits or you're eating the costs of higher wages, it's not possible for both to be true.

I miss the days when a Whopper was a dollar, now it's like 6 bucks! We should go back to paying our slaves $3.75/h!!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ElCondemn posted:

What's ridiculous about these kinds of articles is that they claim the poor are being hurt, but at the same time the business owners are complaining that they're losing money, so which is it? Where is that mystery money going? Either your low wage employees are eating up all your profits or you're eating the costs of higher wages, it's not possible for both to be true.

I miss the days when a Whopper was a dollar, now it's like 6 bucks! We should go back to paying our slaves $3.75/h!!!

"No one will buy the sandwiches because they are too expensive, meaning they'll have to fire their employees and close down the shop!" Is the line of thinking that they have.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

JohnnySavs posted:

There are tons of Subway franchises that are closing nationwise amid complaints that the pricing promotions make it impossible to turn a profit. But no, it's a livable minimum wage in a dense urban area with lots of disposable income.

Yet more starving (sandwich) artists.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It's getting to the point where a taco costs $5 let alone a footlong sandwich. What the hell are they thinking?

I always thought the $5 footlong was a quest where you had to choose the exact sandwich and ask for a secret combination of substitutions and omissions to get it down to $5.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

JohnnySavs posted:

That and the company has cut way way back on both ingredient quality and supply. Shocker that people don't want to eat literal half rotted garbage even if it does cost $5.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That and the company has cut way way back on both ingredient quality and supply. Shocker that people don't want to eat literal half rotted garbage even if it does cost $5.
Feels like just last year we all found out they were supplementing their bread with a foaming agent used in gym mats

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Well that and their long term spokesman turned out to be a huge pedo. Probably hasn't helped matters much.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You know it's tome for a subway sandwich when the big hand touches the little hand.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

therobit posted:

You know it's tome for a subway sandwich when the big hand touches the little hand.

That happens dozens of times in a day!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Why would I buy a Subway sandwich when actual good sub places exist?
Subway loving sucks.
And of course Reason.com blames the poor for getting a slightly closer to living wage.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Peachfart posted:

Why would I buy a Subway sandwich when actual good sub places exist?
Subway loving sucks.
And of course Reason.com blames the poor for getting a slightly closer to living wage.

Also if thirst average hours worked is as low as the article said then that is not thier only job and they will get that third job to make up any missed hours or else scale back how many hours they work if they already have a third job. Either way I doubt it is hurrying them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DrNutt posted:

Maybe we could just start pulling the wealthy from their homes and lighting them on fire in the streets?

Im not sure that I can state that I agree, but I can say :flame:

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

therobit posted:

Also if thirst average hours worked is as low as the article said then that is not thier only job and they will get that third job to make up any missed hours or else scale back how many hours they work if they already have a third job. Either way I doubt it is hurrying them.

I thought you were just letting autocorrect run amok, but there's also the "thier." Use the preview button.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Peachfart posted:

Why would I buy a Subway sandwich when actual good sub places exist? Subway loving sucks.
Soggy tomatoes

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Feels like just last year we all found out they were supplementing their bread with a foaming agent used in gym mats

That was a dumb thing to complain about that was only popularized by shitheads like Food Babe. Subway has enough bad things about it to resort to relying on Facebook memes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dino Rossi and his political support are starting to harrass everyone i know locally on the phone and I find myself wondering how it is this rear end in a top hat just won't go away. He's running for Richert's seat.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

Dino Rossi and his political support are starting to harrass everyone i know locally on the phone and I find myself wondering how it is this rear end in a top hat just won't go away. He's running for Richert's seat.

Good, +1 seat for the Democrats.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Peachfart posted:

Good, +1 seat for the Democrats.

Here's hoping.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

NW Mitt Romney needs to go away.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm actually okay with Dino Rossi because he always loses. Always. It is almost performance art at this point.
Edit: Heh, more like Dino Lossi.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BlueBlazer posted:

NW Mitt Romney needs to go away.

Mitt Romney is anti Trump, Dino Rossi is very openly and vulgarly pro Trump.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RuanGacho posted:

Mitt Romney is anti Trump
Does anyone actually believe this

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

anthonypants posted:

where are those infographics that show how the 'anti-trump' gop members of congress vote in line with his agenda 95% of the time

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

Romney is the ultimate "compassionate conservative" who mastered codified dog whistles. If he hates Trump it's because Trump tore down the facade.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

anthonypants posted:

No, not really but I say that more as of comparison to "Trump is my big strong Daddy" Dino Rossi.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

None of the D options running are great.None are exciting but they are all very Issaquah / Sammamishie. Party out here isn't great either, they can't be bothered to show up for community events. Issaquah is fairly blue. Snoqualmie and and North Bend are transitioning to blue shockingly rapidly. Everything east of the cascades is pretty red. I think the rapid demographic changes could favor the dems.

That said local stuff could matter a great deal. There is definately reaction occurring due to the influx of new residents. An example is the last Snoqualmie mayors election, which Larson (the "Ridge's" candidate) did win, but Fuzzy Flecter is an example of the local conservative reaction.

It's probably very lucky that it's Dino running and not somebody better.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anthonypants posted:

Yeah? Decorum is a real thing, class is a real thing etc. Mittens is a horrible person but he would die before he'd talk about grabbing them by the pussy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yup. Romney is a rich fucker and an rear end in a top hat, but to his credit he isn't a crude slimy gently caress like Trump. Much in the same way that GWB was a horrible president, but at least he respected the office of the president and specifically said that Islam wasn't bad.
It isn't a high bar, and it doesn't make them good by any stretch, but it is preferable to what is happening now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Why? Why would Bush being a crude poo poo make the American, Afghani and Iraqi lives he took any more horrible? How does Trumps blatant racism make his deportations any worse than the record setting deportations under Obama?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GodFish posted:

Why? Why would Bush being a crude poo poo make the American, Afghani and Iraqi lives he took any more horrible? How does Trumps blatant racism make his deportations any worse than the record setting deportations under Obama?

You're just regurgitating "fake news", there were fewer removals and returns under the Obama administration than each of the two prior administrations.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/obama-record-deportations-deporter-chief-or-not

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ElCondemn posted:

You're just regurgitating "fake news", there were fewer removals and returns under the Obama administration than each of the two prior administrations.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/obama-record-deportations-deporter-chief-or-not

Oh, that's interesting and good to know, thanks. But I'll replace the question with say, drone strikes, and let the overall point stand.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

GodFish posted:

Oh, that's interesting and good to know, thanks. But I'll replace the question with say, drone strikes, and let the overall point stand.

You can be very bad, and also be very very bad.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

ElCondemn posted:

That link says the opposite of what you claim.

quote:

These figures demonstrate the Obama administration’s focus on formal removals instead of returns, with formal removals under Obama far outpacing those of the Bush and Clinton administrations even as returns were far lower.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Friendly reminder that strikes were only part of the drone story. Living under years of daily drone coverage, knowing missiles could be fired anytime was a huge strain, and amounts to terrorism.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

DevNull posted:

That link says the opposite of what you claim.

Whenever you feel compelled to say "fake news", its worth stopping completely and reading from scratch. Ive heard that term used by so many people on the left for things that were not fake that its becoming the left wing equivalent of "THE NWO DID IT".

porkface posted:

Friendly reminder that strikes were only part of the drone story. Living under years of daily drone coverage, knowing missiles could be fired anytime was a huge strain, and amounts to terrorism.
Yeah Obama was a monster, and people looking on him kindly because he was "better than Trump" is frustrating. It also sets the stage to get another warmongering banker puppet coming in. (Who will of course be articulate and 'cool'.)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Whenever you feel compelled to say "fake news", its worth stopping completely and reading from scratch. Ive heard that term used by so many people on the left for things that were not fake that its becoming the left wing equivalent of "THE NWO DID IT".

I said "there were fewer removals and returns under the Obama administration than each of the two prior administrations", if you read the article it explains clearly what was happening and how. The implication that Obama was sending more people back or was worse for immigrants living in this country than prior presidents is wrong.

FRINGE posted:

Yeah Obama was a monster, and people looking on him kindly because he was "better than Trump" is frustrating. It also sets the stage to get another warmongering banker puppet coming in. (Who will of course be articulate and 'cool'.)

I agree that war is wrong and human lives are important, but I would call every president in most of our history a monster if you're looking at deaths caused by our military, we kill a lot of people all the time. Obama continued the trend but also reduced our military fatalities to next to nothing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

I agree that war is wrong and human lives are important, but I would call every president in most of our history a monster if you're looking at deaths caused by our military, we kill a lot of people all the time. Obama continued the trend but also reduced our military fatalities to next to nothing.

Its this. US policy demands that all Presidents kill civilians, I'm not happy about it, but it is reality. Only thing we can do as citizens is guide that policy and those people to do less harm.
And judging by that standard, Obama was pretty solid. Not perfect by any stretch, but solid.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

Obama continued the trend but also reduced our military fatalities to next to nothing.

I actually feel the move towards robotized assassinations was a massive negative for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The answer is that much of the world is built on the exploitation of others and we'll enforce it via violence. It's good if you're not okay with it but changing one important cog in the machine isn't going to suddenly change things.