Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

jivjov posted:

New force powers get introduced in almost every movie

IV - The Force itself, mind trick, choke
V - Telekinesis, Luke's Jump, visions
VI - Lightning
I - Speed
II - Lightning negation
III - ??
VII - freeze, forcible mind read
VIII - projection/doppelgänger

In III, Anakin uses the force to quadruple his flip power... or so he thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AdjectiveNoun posted:

The familiar status quo of The leader of the bad guys being an emotionally volatile idiot, rather than an arrogant, calculating mastermind, and the good guys being reduced to the people inhabiting a single ship, with no additional organization or infrastructure? That status quo?

You're describing Amidala vs the Trade Federation.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can someone post the scene in episode 1 where they go fast with the Force, because that sounds awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can someone post the scene in episode 1 where they go fast with the Force, because that sounds awesome.

It's the very beginning when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are on the ship getting attacked. They send the droids that roll after them and when they can't beat them because of their shields they run away like The Flash because it's a terrible script.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's the very beginning when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are on the ship getting attacked. They send the droids that roll after them and when they can't beat them because of their shields they run away like The Flash because it's a terrible script.

What's bad about the script? Do you have examples of a good script?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jivjov posted:

VI - Lightning
I - Speed
II - Lightning negation
III - ??

The high ground.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why is that in particular bad script writing? When they did that zoom off thing I was like "whoa that was cool". Is it bad script because they don't proceed to do it all the time after that? Cause you could say that about basically all the force powers in every movie

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why is that in particular bad script writing? When they did that zoom off thing I was like "whoa that was cool". Is it bad script because they don't proceed to do it all the time after that? Cause you could say that about basically all the force powers in every movie

It's a little contrived they don't rip the Droidekas apart with Force TK. "It's a stand-off!" Sure, Liam.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

porfiria posted:

It's a little contrived they don't rip the Droidekas apart with Force TK. "It's a stand-off!" Sure, Liam.

I dunno they're taking heavy fire and force tk almost always(apart from Vader in ESB) is shown to have a heavy somatic component that would leave them open to gunfire. Hard to deflect lasers and concentrate on tk with an arm held out at the same time.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Leave the poor Droidekas alone.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think its really bad writing that these characters dont use magic powers to solve everything instantly

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

cuntman.net posted:

i think its really bad writing that these characters dont use magic powers to solve everything instantly

Luke Skywalker and the methods of force rationality

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

jivjov posted:

VI - Lightning
I - Speed
II - Lightning negation
III - ??

III: Sheev spin and force shout combo

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

The familiar status quo of The leader of the bad guys being an emotionally volatile idiot, rather than an arrogant, calculating mastermind, and the good guys being reduced to the people inhabiting a single ship, with no additional organization or infrastructure? That status quo?

That's about the state of things circa ESB, although the original Rebellion seemed to still have a few more assets to its name, yes.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 20, 2018

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Neo Rasa posted:

The high ground.
Iv: Disarm

III: Greater Disarm

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
All Force powers have logical explanations congruent with causal physics.

Force Persuasion (A New Hope) Ben Kenobi uses subtle social engineering strategies (negging) on low self esteem stormtroopers.
Force Choke (A New Hope) Vader knows Admiral Motti has a severe peanut allergy and lines his gloves with peanut shavings.
Force Leap (Empire Strikes Back) Lando's nephews were playing on a trampoline inside the Carbonite chamber moments before Luke and Vader arrived.
Force Telekensis (Empire Strikes Back) Vader coerced Lando into installing tiny anti-gravity units in various boxes and crates by threatening to take away his nephews' trampoline.
Force Lightning (Return of the Jedi) Collective delusion akin to Christian Pentacostal speaking in tongues, etc. An "objective" view of the scene would have shown Luke writhing in pain for no reason and the Emperor going "Vvvvvvvvvvvv" with his lips.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

III kinda builds on Ghosting/One with the Forcing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kylo Ren force negs Rey to escalate keno once outside the set.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then he goes for the fclose. (force close)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

That's about the state of things circa ESB, although the original Rebellion seemed to still have a few more assets to its name, yes.

That's kind of a big difference, though. By the end of ESB the Rebels still had enough resources that in RotJ they were able to mount a last ditch assault on the Death Star II, and a huge space battle broke out. As of Episode IX the Resistance doesn't have two X-wings to rub together. That changes the scale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the opening scene of episode 9 they warp to the x-wing factory and start stealing poo poo

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
We know they've still got a lot of hypothetical allies around who were just too scared or busy or something to answer their distress signal. The characters are just one scene of a rousing speech away from having all the x-wings they need.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assumed that the Resistance people we were following in TLJ were just the last ones off their base planet and Greg Grunberg et al. had left ahead of them to regroup somewhere else. That's the impression I got from the start of the movie; that Leia's cruiser was the last one to leave. Perhaps I am assuming or inferring too much, though.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 21, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They were pretty explicit that the Resistance as an organization now fits entirely aboard the Millennium Falcon.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

two X-wings to rub together

...I'll be in my bunk

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

They were pretty explicit that the Resistance as an organization now fits entirely aboard the Millennium Falcon.

If RotJ is any indication, their best plan is to send in an army of porgs with a team of about 4-5 people, and then send Rey to talk to Ren.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

preemptively pouring a shot out for all the porgs giving their lives to get the death star 4 plans

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's kind of a big difference, though. By the end of ESB the Rebels still had enough resources that in RotJ they were able to mount a last ditch assault on the Death Star II, and a huge space battle broke out. As of Episode IX the Resistance doesn't have two X-wings to rub together. That changes the scale.

My understanding was that we only ever see a fraction of the the Rebellion (and, for that matter, the Empire) in ESB.

Vader and his soldiers don't attack Hoth because it's the singular Rebel base but because out of the many Rebel bases, this one has his son. Later, Leia and Han aren't on the run from the entire Imperial fleet but Vader's fleet, specifically.

This is in contrast to ANH. Rather than a story where a single plucky recruit is able to land a lucky shot that sets back the entire Imperial war machine, it's a story where the tribulations and struggles of the heroes are ultimately a very small thing in a far larger conflict. Here, the fantasy that a single person could make a meaningful difference in the war is either a temptation to be resisted or a notion too radical to accept.

TLJ is far more like ANH than ESB in this respect, and the conflict is actually quite small, comparatively. Nearly the entirety of the First Order and Resistance ships are at play, and single people can and do have meaningful effects. At the same time, the war is much less important than in either of the other films. The whole of Canto Bright, as well as Luke and Maz (through her actions) all suggest that the conflict is mostly inconsequential, and that a victory by any side wouldn't accomplish much.

Which is to say, without Palpatine's interference, the dynamics of the universe has metastasized into an endless Clone War.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 21, 2018

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Zoran posted:

It's bad because it preaches about getting over the past and moving on to something new but actually just resets everything to a familiar status quo.

I think it's possibly instructive that the bad guy says "Kill the past" and everything about the film at that point tells you not to trust this opinion, down to moody lighting and music. Then at the big climactic moment of the film Luke says to the bad guy he'll always be with him anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Whatever happened to Palpatine's red guards at the end of RotJ? I guess he sent them out of the room when Luke arrived, but surely they didn't go far.

I guess they weren't as dedicated to their boss as Snoke's guards.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

porfiria posted:

All Force powers have logical explanations congruent with causal physics.

Force Persuasion (A New Hope) Ben Kenobi uses subtle social engineering strategies (negging) on low self esteem stormtroopers.
Force Choke (A New Hope) Vader knows Admiral Motti has a severe peanut allergy and lines his gloves with peanut shavings.
Force Leap (Empire Strikes Back) Lando's nephews were playing on a trampoline inside the Carbonite chamber moments before Luke and Vader arrived.
Force Telekensis (Empire Strikes Back) Vader coerced Lando into installing tiny anti-gravity units in various boxes and crates by threatening to take away his nephews' trampoline.
Force Lightning (Return of the Jedi) Collective delusion akin to Christian Pentacostal speaking in tongues, etc. An "objective" view of the scene would have shown Luke writhing in pain for no reason and the Emperor going "Vvvvvvvvvvvv" with his lips.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't remember that but I hope when a Jedi goes fast they walk casually but each step is several yards long like Zuo Ci

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Last Jedi was a bad movie

Ugh, you haven't gotten tired of posting here yet?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

preemptively pouring a shot out for all the porgs giving their lives to get the death star 4 plans

*diet coke spit take*
They built ANOTHER Death Star?!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yaws posted:

The Last Jedi was a bad movie

They're talking about that in the other thread. This thread is for Lucas Star Wars.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nvm

Yaws fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 22, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nvm

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
e: well then