Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what exactly is chise's ring for again, cos it sure did do a Thing at the end there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think that was the ring that was supposed to help regulate her magic so she wouldn't suddenly fall over dead of being a sleigh beggy.

Totally exhausting herself making the fairy ointment was like the worst thing she could possibly do.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's exactly that. It cuts her magic so she doesn't go overboard.

And the big one she wears like a pendant is a beacon for Elias iirc.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a beacon, and by looking through it you can dispel glamours and illusions.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Genocyber posted:

It's a beacon, and by looking through it you can dispel glamours and illusions.

It's and adder stone, or a hag stone if you're from the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adder_stone

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, this was good enough that I ended up reading the manga and getting caught up instead of waiting for the next episode. I was kind of hoping the manga had been running for longer, as it didn't take very long at all to go from where the anime is to catching up with the series - the anime's a bit more than halfway at this point.

Also goddamn the manga is currently somehow on a worse cliffhanger than the anime so it didn't actually help at all!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah I thought the manga came out monthly but the last chapter was released on Christmas and it's not releasing again until 2/25.

There are apparently two short story collections that were released in Japan but of course I can't read Japanese. :qq:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yamazaki takes hiatuses every so often, more so recently than before.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"Congratulations on passing the last test, where we pretended we were going to murder you."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Fae medicine is unconventional, but you can't deny it works.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nice to finally learn a bit more about Silky, and get a bit more of a window in to her thoughts. Her imaginary version of Elias and Chise reaction to the house cleaning was great.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just how many more times will this show lean on Chise getting pushed into water as a story device?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

StandardVC10 posted:

"Congratulations on passing the last test, where we pretended we were going to murder you."

I interpreted this as Shannon having to resort to triggering an autonomic survival instinct because Chise was being such an Ur-Sad Sack that she couldn't even get her wounds to close.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Just how many more times will this show lean on Chise getting pushed into water as a story device?

as many times as it takes to knock the depression out of her, stubborn girl.

this episode marks one of my favorite parts of the story; Silver's backstory is all warm and fuzzy feelings.

Aug 24, 2011

daydreaming silky was hilarious

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Just caught up on the last two episodes, wanted to mention that the montage in 14 is where the previously-released OVA is set chronologically (when Chise is reading the picture book in the library). So if anyone was putting off watching that due to spoilers or whatever, now is the all-clear. It's a pretty stand-alone story though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sarrisan posted:

as many times as it takes to knock the depression out of her, stubborn girl.

This is a terrible stance on mental illness.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Silky was very :3: this episode, stole the show completely.

Aug 24, 2011

does anyone have a picture of that daydream

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

where the red fern gropes posted:

does anyone have a picture of that daydream

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

This is a terrible stance on mental illness.

I agree; I was kinda being sarcastic. I can think of no other reason you'd try to drown someone to convince them they should value their life, though. The fae apparently believe in a real hard-knocks version of therapy.

Aug 24, 2011

nice

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sarrisan posted:

I agree; I was kinda being sarcastic. I can think of no other reason you'd try to drown someone to convince them they should value their life, though. The fae apparently believe in a real hard-knocks version of therapy.

To her credit though, Shannon did say she'd receive more appropriate treatment in a normal human hospital.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My god! The bear. I almost died of pure :3:

But who the heck was that pregnant woman?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That was the mother goddess pregnant with her next incarnation. She was riding the Horned God. No clue why they don't explain why Elias hides from them; in the manga he tells Chise it's because gods are very unpredictable.

Also I'm so glad Hazel made it into the anime, I know he's only in like six panels but he's so adorable. :kimchi:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Labes for days posted:

That was the mother goddess pregnant with her next incarnation. She was riding the Horned God. No clue why they don't explain why Elias hides from them; in the manga he tells Chise it's because gods are very unpredictable.

Also I'm so glad Hazel made it into the anime, I know he's only in like six panels but he's so adorable. :kimchi:

Is this lifted from any actual Pagan traditions, or is it a mishmash of various beliefs?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I guess that depends on if you define Wicca as actual Pagan belief. Lots of pagan pantheons have a triple goddess (maiden/mother/crone). Though I was under the impression that it's usually the god that dies at the winter solstice and is reborn.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Aw, what a wonderful episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That mistletoe. :3:

Aug 24, 2011

what was the deal with the messenger bird still being at chise's house (or not), don't understand

i figure that's how she got the message in the first place, just don't understand why it would still be there?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

what was the deal with the messenger bird still being at chise's house (or not), don't understand

i figure that's how she got the message in the first place, just don't understand why it would still be there?

Not that one, the one in the flower pot.

Aug 24, 2011

Moddington posted:

Not that one, the one in the flower pot.

oh, i don't remember that one

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ViggyNash posted:

Aw, what a wonderful episode.

Chise has a friend :3:

Aug 24, 2011

these 30 second shorts are really good too

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

these 30 second shorts are really good too

Wha? Link?

This episode was amazing btw!

Aug 24, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Wha? Link?

This episode was amazing btw!

it is called MahoYome, apparently they are released for free on twitter but taken down once the next one airs, but you can find them all on one of those extralegal sites

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Remember kids: never say anything you don't mean, or David Bowie Ashen Eyes will kidnap your annoying siblings.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm surprised that Elias would allow Chise to pay the price she did considering his past cautiousness.

Aug 24, 2011

chise friend counter: 2

it has been (0) days since chise made a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought the fox-skin could only transform Chise in to a fox? Is there a reason she can use it to transform in to a bear too?