Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Why is it called a Khemrian Warsphinx, is there another nation that builds Warsphinxes? Ind? Khuresh? Has Gelt built a secret Imperial Warsphinx?

Khemri is the city not the nation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There is something incredibly cold about having mortars and rockets bombarding a city while your army and general stand there waiting for their ammo the run dry before sending up towers and a battering ram.

E: to the provinces! *kills thousands of brettonian peasants with ordnance*

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

ZearothK posted:

Why is it called a Khemrian Warsphinx, is there another nation that builds Warsphinxes? Ind? Khuresh? Has Gelt built a secret Imperial Warsphinx?

The Tomb Kings’ Empire is named Nehekhara, Khemri is the capital and most prominent city. Warsphinxes were first constructed in Khemri.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So if you make its recruitment building elsewhere it becomes a knock-off Khemrian Warsphinx instead?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gonna go to Canal street to pick up some Khenrrian Warsphinxes

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
They are authentic Khemrian Warphinxes that fell off the back of a cart. What? No, they are definitely called Warsphinxes and not Warpshynxes, that is what they call them in Khemrei.

Reminder about casual tourny starting on the 30th.

Mukip posted:

I, wielder of Goonhammer and true heir of Lowtax, am now taking signups for Goonhammer 2, to begin about a week after Tomb Kings are released (around the 30th). This is a casual multiplayer tournament and I will provide commentary for some replays (depending on how many there are). If anybody wants to help that's nice.

If you want to participate then sign up on the Challonge page and make sure you are on the goon discord (https://discord.gg/MPtSrr) with the same name.

http://challonge.com/b37ymgv0

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Winning the Empire/Chaos matchup revolved around shooting and heavy cavalry, and Chaos getting artillery disrupts both of those plans. I get that Chaos players didn't enjoy marching across the table with no interaction while the Empire shot them up, but Chaos already had disruption in its roster if it bothered to take flying demons and/or sorcerers. The Hellcannon is annoying because you want your light cavalry and artillery to be preventing marches and killing monstrous units. If you spend the first three turns artillery dueling and the warriors reach your lines without being disrupted you've lost pretty much lost the game. And the Hellcannon gets to shoot, too.

Everybody wants it both ways. Toolkit factions want good units and factions with a strong focus want more tools. In the end gutter runners are an anti-large unit and High Magic is trash because on top of everything, the people making the rules are fallible.

Just get a heavens (or whatever mage has lightning stuff, don't remember?) mage on a pegasus, fly unhindered and urannon's the hellcannon, problem solved in about 30 seconds with 0 risk.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Don't they have half the weapon damage?

dont think so

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/unit.php?l=en&v=warhammer2&f=wh2_main_skv_skaven&u=wh2_main_skv_inf_gutter_runners_0
https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/unit.php?l=en&v=warhammer2&f=wh2_main_skv_clan_mors&u=wh2_main_skv_inf_gutter_runner_slingers_0

e: only melee distinction is that slingers lose 4 charge bonus for Reasons

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I must have been looking at the night runners by mistake.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the real price you pay is losing out of move-and-fire, and also your rat unit portraits go from lethal ninja assassins to a stupid but friendly dog noticing you have a stick

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I can't wait for the Norsca nerfs, I tried to have a go at Legendary Malekith, succeeding in taking out my skaven neighbours, that other dark elf faction I start at war with and even the Mung and their 4 stacks, called in by the latter, just in time to get attacked by the Aghol that have now eaten every single dark elf faction east of me and are 13 provinces large, bringing 8 stacks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What does Volkmar's popemobile do? It crashes his stats and I have him ride it because it's baller, but I've got no idea what the benefit is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JBP posted:

What does Volkmar's popemobile do? It crashes his stats and I have him ride it because it's baller, but I've got no idea what the benefit is.

Gives him maasive AoE and mass mostly. Pretty much nothing can shove him around if he's on it, and he knocks infantry around like dolls same as any chariot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty sure it has a bunch of bound spells too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Watching early access Tomb King matches is interesting. It looks like the faction as a whole has pretty much garbage bottom basement tier infantry and mediocre cavalry and is heavily reliant on monster support and overlapping buffs to accomplish anything. Most of the matches I've watched have them struggling hugely against all the elite high end anti-large infantry like Temple Guard and Black Guard, though it's early days and no one has really cracked the code on how to play them yet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I swear to god this is only four turns later than my last campaign map picture.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

Regeneration, mass, bound banishment spell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kanos posted:

Watching early access Tomb King matches is interesting. It looks like the faction as a whole has pretty much garbage bottom basement tier infantry and mediocre cavalry and is heavily reliant on monster support and overlapping buffs to accomplish anything. Most of the matches I've watched have them struggling hugely against all the elite high end anti-large infantry like Temple Guard and Black Guard, though it's early days and no one has really cracked the code on how to play them yet.

Great bow Ushabti seem pretty crazy though, and Necrosphinxes can reliably take out Star Dragons 1v1.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Great bow Ushabti seem pretty crazy though, and Necrosphinxes can reliably take out Star Dragons 1v1.

Necrosphinxes are designed to butcher large targets.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Giants and Hierotitans have a bunch of unique animations while fighting each other. Headbutts, gut punches, and laser eye beams to the face.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mordja posted:

They can do that if the Star Dragons don't breathe first, and honestly it's not likely that a Necrosphinx is going to get to engage a Star Dragon on favorable terms due to the latter's ability to fly. It's more likely the Star Dragon is going to spend its breaths taking out the Necrosphinx's support and refuse to engage.

Great Bow Ushabti look like a pretty solid include in almost any list, as they do huge damage, aren't insanely expensive, and aren't completely worthless in melee if push comes to shove.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

Just get a heavens (or whatever mage has lightning stuff, don't remember?) mage on a pegasus, fly unhindered and urannon's the hellcannon, problem solved in about 30 seconds with 0 risk.

The biggest thing I remember Hellcannons causing a stir with when they initially came out was their incredibly silly misfire chart which included "every spellcaster on the battlefield takes a wound, no saves of any sort allowed." Which, while entirely random, was not something several armies - potentially including the Chaos one itself - wanted to be rolled.

In everything else, allowing Warriors of Chaos to take a single incredibly expensive cannon was not some massive paradigm shift in tactics for anyone, and any player running an artillery/gunline heavy list against WoC who whined about it deserved to be mocked.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ammanas posted:

His Jade whatever gives him regeneration. The important thing is the bound banishment spell. It's basically one of the best vortexes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Banishment sucks units into it as it passes by, right? At least that's what it looks like.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah and beats the hell out of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ammanas posted:

Guess it's bugged because it isn't giving me extra spells.

jokes posted:

His Jade whatever gives him regeneration. The important thing is the bound banishment spell. It's basically one of the best vortexes.

Yeah I don't have that.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

Guess it's bugged because it isn't giving me extra spells.

Yeah I don't have that.

It is bugged, the mod 'community bug fixes' will tide you over.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
In addition to the more obvious stat/performance buffs (Volkmar is much more dangerous with the chariot mount than without it) the popemobile also gives Volkmar +15% magic resist, unbreakable, causes fear/terror, and gives him Divine Power and bound banishment. Divine Power is a passive that inflicts +50% miscast on enemy casters. The banishment is sadly bugged, hopefully it was fixed in the TK patch and just wasn't in the notes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Volkmar gets to spam a bunch of free bound spells so that's cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Volkmar gets to spam a bunch of free bound spells so that's cool.

Yeah I like warrior priests. I also started using a witch hunter which I've never really used except as a map assassin and the dude just blasts 100+ enemies per battle even when I forget I've put him somewhere. Just wait for engagement, walk him to the side and he starts capping dudes.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Regarding the mount tanking his stats, I'm pretty sure that the stat comparison it does when you mouse over an open mount skill is comparing stats without currently equipped gear and possibly selected skills, so the hit isn't as bad as it seems.

Edit: Tried it out, I was wrong. Ignore this disinformation.

Flakey fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 21, 2018

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

quote:

When the Campaign AI Captures Karak Eight Peaks and then allies with Clan Angrund, you will no longer see Belegar Ironhammer travel to stand outside of the settlement indefinitely.

This seems too canon to be worth bug fixing, tbh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

packetmantis posted:

This seems too canon to be worth bug fixing, tbh.

I wonder if AI Belegar would wage war against either an AI or player Dwarf that takes Eight Peaks that hasn't been friendly enough with him. At the very least, Belegar should give no fucks about his theoretical friendship with a non-Dwarf if they hold Eight Peaks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really want to like this game but maaaan, I can't think of any other game that's so incredibly uncomfortable to look at. Both the campaign and battle views are a total mess.
They have a poo poo ton of very detailed unit and environment models that look amazing in screenshots or if you zoom in all the way but when you try to play the game normally all those tiny moving overly-detailed models turn into a complete mess of shimmering pixels, and the fact that they didn't bother to implement any kind of modern anti-aliasing makes that problem even worse.

I seriously can't think of any other game that a graphics style this distracting. It's a shame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Game looks awesome to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My grandpa just got hit by a Lexus text me your username.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just wish I could figure out why the campaign map runs like absolute rear end for me. My RX480 handled the first game without issue, but even with lower settings the campaign map peaks at about 45fps, with the Vortex on screen dropping that into the 20s.

It's frustrating because battles run beautifully, but the campaign map is a sluggish, stuttering mess that just feels like poo poo. It's playable, but it's annoying.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I have sort of the same issue. When I walk my armies somewhere on the campaign map they do this slight stuttering /pausing as they go. It’s not a major issue at, just enough to be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

JBP posted:

Chariot-esque mounts always tanks stats since they give a huge increase in their ability to mow down infantry with aoe attack animations and increased mass. Death Hags with their Cauldron and Khazrak with his chariot are good examples.