Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

got one of them keyboard waffle irons. I’m glad my family understands me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

any recs for 80% full layout?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i only took my macbook pro up north for christmas and i'm jonesin' to type on my ergodox infinity with blues again

also i got a new chair to sit in while i type waiting for me at home

do you have a butt-touch bar mbp?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why are apple computer's keyboards so bad?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

apple's computer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Poopernickel posted:

do you have a butt-touch bar mbp?

no, just the touchbar over the keyboard, only asus or acer would put the touchbar on the computer's butt

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Progressive JPEG posted:

they arent. all of their mechanical keyboards are at least halfway decent, and the rubber dome ones are at least no worse than what anyone else was putting out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

tradition

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

they arent. all of their mechanical keyboards are at least halfway decent, and the rubber dome ones are at least no worse than what anyone else was putting out

get a load of this guy cam

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mad.radhu posted:

get a load of this guy cam

like 2 of the 3 keyboards i use most often are apple, is that a controversial opinion?

im not super fond of the damped switches in some aekii, but i dont think there are any alps switches that are "so bad"

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Raluek posted:

This is the mechanical keyboard thread. “halfway decent” has no place here.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raluek posted:

you gotta make sure you get the right keyswitch

https://twitter.com/jokayso/status/944431808455700480

don't post your mom's g key

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tk posted:

This is the mechanical keyboard thread. “halfway decent” has no place here.

and the undamped ones are really good :shrug:

alps is the good poo poo, the modern cherry stuff half of yall fawn over is no replacement

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

i can type very well on myt mbp. it doesnt feel good, but I do a good job

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

i can type very well on myt mbp. it doesnt feel good, but I do a good job

name of your sex tape

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

and the undamped ones are really good :shrug:

alps is the good poo poo, the modern cherry stuff half of yall fawn over is no replacement

I love(d) the poo poo out of my AT101W with alps but cherry clears/greens are easily as good

and if you're really that crazy over alps switches you should probably just admit to yourself that you ought to go full sperg and use a model M

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
best alps

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

weird stuff had a few on Saturday, by the way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

weird stuff had a few on Saturday, by the way

nice. i have one and an adb-usb adapter. the only problem is some of the switches are so worn i have to open them and re-bend the contacts to get all the keys to work reliably, and well, :effort:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
broke a switch on my matias quiet pro, gave customer service a call late friday afternoon, and got 3 switches in the mail today

now i just gotta take it apart and solder in the new one

burning swine
May 26, 2004

my 4-year old CODE keyboard died today

backlight blinks briefly when first plugged in, then nothin'

:rip:

think i'm gonna get another unicomp to replace it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
soldered up the new switch last week, works like a champ :c00l:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
lol at a keyboard that dies after a paltry four years

circa-1990 AEK II on my primary workstation still going strong in TYoOL 2018

I fully expect it to make it to 30 years

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

my 4-year old CODE keyboard died today

backlight blinks briefly when first plugged in, then nothin'

:rip:

think i'm gonna get another unicomp to replace it

i had the same thing, WASD sent me a replacement logic board for the price of shipping so you could try that

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Olivil posted:

i had the same thing, WASD sent me a replacement logic board for the price of shipping so you could try that
hmm maybe

also maybe I can repair then sell it because honestly I've never loved this thing. Maybe if it had clears, but it doesn't

eschaton posted:

lol at a keyboard that dies after a paltry four years

agree

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

fwiw mine died after 6 month then a friend gave it to me, repaired it for 6$ shipping

i dont use that keyboard anymore

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Was it the daughter board that sits above the arrow keys?

As long as it wasn't the main board, to which all the key switches are soldered, it's probably worth it

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Was it the daughter board that sits above the arrow keys?

As long as it wasn't the main board, to which all the key switches are soldered, it's probably worth it

yep its the small board thats plugged with connector (connectors?)

it takes 5 minutes

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sort of. depends on which one you get, i think. both of mine have the damped keys, which are ok. they're better than a membrane keyboard and quiet enough to use at work. but they're not a joy to use like the adb keyboard (iigs). looks like the aekii and adb both can have salmons (idk whats in my adb) but i dont have one of those.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I love(d) the poo poo out of my AT101W with alps but cherry clears/greens are easily as good

and if you're really that crazy over alps switches you should probably just admit to yourself that you ought to go full sperg and use a model M

no clicky cherry is as nice as the complicated whites i have in my northgate at home, although i havent tried greens. maybe i will, if you say they're that good

all the models m i have tried have been worn out sticky garbage. ill give them a chance if i find a good one

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

sort of. depends on which one you get, i think. both of mine have the damped keys, which are ok. they're better than a membrane keyboard and quiet enough to use at work. but they're not a joy to use like the adb keyboard (iigs). looks like the aekii and adb both can have salmons (idk whats in my adb) but i dont have one of those.

no clicky cherry is as nice as the complicated whites i have in my northgate at home, although i havent tried greens. maybe i will, if you say they're that good

all the models m i have tried have been worn out sticky garbage. ill give them a chance if i find a good one

If you like blues, greens are just a better version for anyone who is a moderate to hard typist. If you don't like blues, or you're a very light typist, greens may be a bit much.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

If you like blues, greens are just a better version for anyone who is a moderate to hard typist. If you don't like blues, or you're a very light typist, greens may be a bit much.

i dont like blues cause they feel loose and rattly, not tight and snick-snack as the alps im used to. im not sure its an activation force thing :shrug:

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

all the alps likers in this thread should try something with matias switches :rock:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

i dont like blues cause they feel loose and rattly, not tight and snick-snack as the alps im used to. im not sure its an activation force thing :shrug:

never used greens but blues feel tinny to me... not clack but click :qq:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive only used cherry mx black and they are ok. typing on membrane keyboard at work feels very lame now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

going through some of my storage tonight, I found another couple of my spare Apple Extended Keyboards II

one was a Made in USA © 1989 model without the little S in the lower right corner, meaning it uses the original undamped ALPS switches

the other was a Made in USA © 1990 model with the corner S indicating damped ALPS switches

the difference is noticeable, the damped switches are much quieter, the undamped switches are loud and a lot closer in feel to the original Apple Extended Keyboard

neither is as nice as my several Made in Japan © 1989 models with Mitsumi switches, though, they’re by far the most comfortable to use

someone should dump & disassemble the ROMs from the keyboard microcontroller so we can learn what’s different between the 1989, 1990, and 1995 variants

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my cheapo mechanical keybaors is starting to get shiny spots on the keys so I guess it's time for a new one. I'm looking at the kinesis freestyle edge and it can come with reds and is $219.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

my cheapo mechanical keybaors is starting to get shiny spots on the keys so I guess it's time for a new one. I'm looking at the kinesis freestyle edge and it can come with reds and is $219.

Get the advantage, you'll be so glad you have cups to type in.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
just get a set of pbt keycaps if you like the keeb itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

eversion posted:

just get a set of pbt keycaps if you like the keeb itself

eh. it's a monoprice keyb. the keycaps will cost 2x what I payed for the board