Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Akira's own sexual fantasies are also reflected by Miko. When she's imagining Akira to masturbate, she's not thinking of Akira she's thinking about his big fat hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Quick question, is Pener having a stroke

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Me popping a boner is not exploiting anyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Compendium posted:

Quick question, is Pener having a stroke

i think hes thinking about akira's big fat hog

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

i don't think the old show existing seals anything tbh. if you don't apply any outside logic (e.g. devilman lady, violence jack), it honestly just seems like a weird yuasa joke while the ending is obviously setting up for a renewal of earth that won't be the same as what we just saw

if it's just a weird yuasa joke, then it's a huge coincidence that it lines up more or less perfectly with the way the time loop poo poo is established as working.

e: also i don't think pener is really completely wrong, in the sense that he's starting from correct premises. i think it's more accurate to say that Crybaby uses sex as a visual metaphor for base, animalistic urges than it is to say that Crybaby is outright anti-sex, and i would use pretty much all the same evidence pener's putting forth to support that claim.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if it's just a weird yuasa joke, then it's a huge coincidence that it lines up more or less perfectly with the way the time loop poo poo is established as working.

all of that is established in material completely outside of the show though. yuasa can make his joke have some basis in the wider canon of go nagai without it actually having bearing on the show, since it really isn't elaborated on

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

same but i think ova Chad Akira is hotter than Crybaby's Chad Akira

anyone else agree?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ova ryo is better than crybaby ryo, but akira is better in crybaby

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also i don't think pener is really completely wrong, in the sense that he's starting from correct premises. i think it's more accurate to say that Crybaby uses sex as a visual metaphor for base, animalistic urges than it is to say that Crybaby is outright anti-sex, and i would use pretty much all the same evidence pener's putting forth to support that claim.

Yeah, I agree. I think Crybaby definitely makes sex and sexual lust gross and stuff and it accents characters' state of mind and psychology rather than telling us, "Never have sex ever." Especially when the sex is outside the context of anything considered remotely healthy or human for that matter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

all of that is established in material completely outside of the show though. yuasa can make his joke have some basis in the wider canon of go nagai without it actually having bearing on the show, since it really isn't elaborated on

to be honest i mostly just want it to be a thing because getting multiple seasons of Crybaby, each with some wunderkind anime person doing their own take on the Devilman story, would be loving beyond amazing

like, Yuasa is pretty loving hard to top, but imagine if they got Takeshi Koike or Hideaki Anno to do a season

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im purely talking looks. i think ova ryo is hotter too but a lovely twink fits his character way better

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The delinquents/rappers are actually the cutest

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Expect My Mom posted:

same but i think ova Chad Akira is hotter than Crybaby's Chad Akira

anyone else agree?

They're both hot in v different ways op

I bet they both have huge fat hogs though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

im purely talking looks. i think ova ryo is hotter too but a lovely twink fits his character way better

i was also talking looks only

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Chad Akira has no rear end

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

its ok to be bi.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think all the messy, gross sex stuff in crybaby aligns just as fine with the coming-of-age narrative/puberty stuff you can overlay on top of akira's transformation, death of parents, etc. growing up and dealing with sexual feelings can be rough especially upon discovering you're not straight like approximately half the cast.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tired Moritz posted:

I think Miko is bi and she got friendzone'd

:agreed:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Miko gets horny thinkin about dicks, seems to like the rapper guy, but also wants to gently caress Miki....Not sure what to make of this.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I wished Akira's dad had more screen time cause he was cute too

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, I liked the Makimuras in general, they were a nice family, RIP nice people in this show

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
To me the most powerful sexual imagery was God's giant white balls dropping on Satan so forcefully that the entire world blew up.

By far the greatest teabag I have ever seen anime or otherwise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
god-tier own: ryo kills akira and then instead of white balls, god drops giant blue balls on him

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

The Colonel posted:

god-tier own: ryo kills akira and then instead of white balls, god drops giant blue balls on him

Ryo's biggest regret was keeping THAT half of Akira.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What I mean about Crybaby having an anti-sexual theme, is that it devalues sex as being an essential element of true love - not that it's stating sex is inherently bad. That's what I mean about drawing a distinction between wanting to gently caress and wanting to make love. It's the sexual urge itself that overcomes reason which is bad, and it's why I take issue with people saying that characters want to gently caress. It's undeniable that Koda for instance had a positive and loving sexual relationship with Junichi, but Koda didn't love him for the sex itself. Otherwise, explicit scenes of sexuality are purely exploitative.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

Hell,

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

ova ryo is better than crybaby ryo, but akira is better in crybaby

Crybaby devil form is hotter and if you wouldn't choose to gently caress the devil form every time I don't want to talk to you

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

Crybaby devil form is hotter and if you wouldn't choose to gently caress the devil form every time I don't want to talk to you

But then I'd die after the first time, what then

I agree about the hotness though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i think all the messy, gross sex stuff in crybaby aligns just as fine with the coming-of-age narrative/puberty stuff you can overlay on top of akira's transformation, death of parents, etc. growing up and dealing with sexual feelings can be rough especially upon discovering you're not straight like approximately half the cast.

The photographer is a fully grown adult though, and his job revolves around sexually exploiting teenaged girls for the public. He even tries to exploit his own power as a photographer to have sex with his subjects, and that's categorically statutory rape. Every time he's trying to get Miki to come to a photo shoot he's drawing her in under false pretenses. There's a deeper theme about sex that goes beyond what's inherently awkward about being a teenager.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The theme being make sure it's age-appropriate, consensual and have no demons and satanic parties involved?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i'm going to post a list of anime featuring lesbians that i love that i can think of off the top of my head rn in no order for anyone itt who might like it

girls' last tour
new game
re:cutie honey
euphonium
amanchu
magic of stella
little witch academia
utena
sailor moon s (minus some weird eps done by directors who weren't on board)
encouragement of climb
maidragon
flip flappers

do with it what you will. this list now belongs to everyone

My friend have you heard of a show named devilman crybaby

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Compendium posted:

The theme being make sure it's age-appropriate, consensual and have no demons and satanic parties involved?

Hey, hey, hey, let’s not go crazy here.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Compendium posted:

The message is that if you do Satan sex drugs exactly once you turn into C Viper which is very bad because I've always wanted to be C Viper

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
hentai dick here I come

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can we go back to sharing cool fan art and poo poo

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

hentai dick here I come

btw the word dick is verboten here, we refer to it as "a big fat hog"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tithin posted:

Can we go back to sharing cool fan art and poo poo

btw the word dick is verboten here, we refer to it as "a big fat hog"

It’s true. The last dick we had here was excessively spacious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Compendium posted:

i would strongly argue the last of those as part of the theme, given the fact that having demons and satanic parties involved turns Akira into Literally Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Compendium posted:

If the photographer was chasing after age-appropriate women it would still be inherently exploitative.

• Locked thread