Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Notably, Chase Freedom is doing 5% this quarter on utilities, so I’m trying to use that card for cellphone and internet. The Freedom is also 5% on gas, but that doesn’t really matter since I drive a Prius.
It’s also 5% on Android Google Pay and Apple Pay transactions regardless of merchant category, which actually covers most of my spending lately: Trader Joe’s, Lyft, all on-campus POS terminals.

edit: forgot Google changed the name again

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It’s also 5% on Android Google Pay and Apple Pay transactions regardless of merchant category, which actually covers most of my spending lately: Trader Joe’s, Lyft, all on-campus POS terminals.

edit: forgot Google changed the name again

And Samsung Pay, which means any swipe terminal if you have one of those.

And Chase Pay for the handful of places that accept that.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Just to be sure, that's the Freedom Unlimited as well, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

Just to be sure, that's the Freedom Unlimited as well, right?
No, we're talking about the Freedom with its 5% rotating quarterly bonuses. AFAIK the Freedom Unlimited is just a flat 1.5% all the time.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Brian Fellows posted:

Looks like people have had luck downgrading Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, waiting awhile, then applying for the Sapphire Reserve. I'm going to go for this - I'll let the thread know how it works.

I already got an OK to product change to Freedom Unlimited from Sapphire Reserve via direct message on their site- sounds like it's not an automatic thing IF your card is less than a year old, but mine is several so no problem. I'll wait 1 month after my card changes over to Freedom Unlimited to apply for Sapphire Reserve, just so it's for sure flushed out of their system.

For anyone following this harrowing tale, this worked. Product change from Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, wait ~ 2 weeks (I've had and have been using the card for about a week and a half), applied for the Sapphire Reserve and got auto-approved.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Yeah between groceries at Trader Joe's (with Apple pay) and my phone and internet bill, I'm going to hit 1500 this month*.

*Before pf jumps on me my cell is 310, but I share it with so people, fios is $60, and I have two kids so we spend $200+ a week on groceries.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Uber card looks like it is chip and pin? That's neat. Is this the first widely available chip and pin card in the US or are there others that I didn't notice?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thoguh posted:

The Uber card looks like it is chip and pin? That's neat. Is this the first widely available chip and pin card in the US or are there others that I didn't notice?
Chop and pin has been standard since like 2016.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Chop and pin has been standard since like 2016.

No, chip and signature has.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

svenkatesh posted:

No, chip and signature has.
I thought chip and sig could fall back to chip and PIN but apparently not.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 18, 2018

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought chip and sig could fall back to chip and PIN but apparently not.

It can if it is set up to do so (that's what the Uber card does if I'm reading properly) but most US cards and just chip and signature with no PIN except for cash advances. That's why I was asking about it - I know there are some isolated credit unions and some cards that have hefty annual fees that offer chip and PIN, but the Über card is no fee and widely available. As far as I know it's the only one in the US like that but I don't churn or follow card offers super closely so I was wondering if I'd missed other ones.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Thoguh posted:

It can if it is set up to do so (that's what the Uber card does if I'm reading properly) but most US cards and just chip and signature with no PIN except for cash advances. That's why I was asking about it - I know there are some isolated credit unions and some cards that have hefty annual fees that offer chip and PIN, but the Über card is no fee and widely available. As far as I know it's the only one in the US like that but I don't churn or follow card offers super closely so I was wondering if I'd missed other ones.

All Barclay issued chip cards, including the Uber card, support fallback chip and pin. Googling gave me this for some other options, but honestly I'm not too confident about how accurate it is since I don't think the Ink Business Preferred which it lists actually has chip+pin. http://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

If you want chip and pin fallback for traveling I would stick with a Barclays card.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any opinions on the new Hilton offerings?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hilton points are very low value (for me) so I'm not biting

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Finally got approved for the Uber Visa. I also cancelled my four year old CSP. I'll reapply for it, in a month. My credit is 800 per Discover and Chase FICO score thing. Is there any reason I shouldn't keep churning these CCs for reward deals? I just bought house so I don't care about credit really.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Finally got approved for the Uber Visa. I also cancelled my four year old CSP. I'll reapply for it, in a month. My credit is 800 per Discover and Chase FICO score thing. Is there any reason I shouldn't keep churning these CCs for reward deals? I just bought house so I don't care about credit really.

Any reason you cancelled the CSP instead of changing it into another Freedom?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Any reason you cancelled the CSP instead of changing it into another Freedom?

I already have all of them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I already have all of them.

You can have more than one Chase Freedom through a product change, though, which is useful when you're already maxing out the 5% categories in a single month. Or are you saying you already have 3+ regular Freedom cards?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

You can have more than one Chase Freedom through a product change, though, which is useful when you're already maxing out the 5% categories in a single month. Or are you saying you already have 3+ regular Freedom cards?

This is useful to know.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
If you convert a CSP in to a Freedom (Unlimited), you can reapply for the CSP after two years from the original bonus and obtain the bonus again? I remember reading somewhere that Chase looks at the conversion as the same line, even if not the same product and may decline the new application. That must have been incorrect.

Are CSP's two year language, and not lifetime bonus restricted?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Untagged posted:

If you convert a CSP in to a Freedom (Unlimited), you can reapply for the CSP after two years from the original bonus and obtain the bonus again? I remember reading somewhere that Chase looks at the conversion as the same line, even if not the same product and may decline the new application. That must have been incorrect.

Apply at least two years from the date you got the bonus, as long as you have under 5 new cards from any issuer in the last 24 months and don't currently hold a Sapphire card of any type.

After you product change to a Freedom (Unlimited), it's not considered to be a Sapphire card any longer.

e: Make sure you get a friend or family to refer you to your (new) CSP (it's advised not to try to refer yourself; I remember reading at least one post where Chase was able to detect that and didn't award the referral points).

astral fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 19, 2018

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a Chase Unlimited and Chase Freedom Unlimited already for min/maxing the 5%. I didn't realize I could have more than one of each specific card, for converting my CSP into. Oh well, it's already. I think I'm at 5 cards already for 24months, so I may have to wait.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Untagged posted:

See my post above - I literally just changed from a CSP to a Freedom Unlimited, waited two weeks, and got approved for a CSR (different card, same family). I would make sure you wait at least until you have the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited in-hand befiee reapplying; I've seen stories of people switching, waiting a day, and getting declined because Chase's system hasn't totally caught up to the change.

Just clear all cookies in your browser and don't be logged into your Chase account when you reapply and you should be good, assuming you meet 5/24 and 24 months since your last Sapphire signup bonus.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Figured I should run by this thread before firing off any credit card applications:

I'm planning a big Europe trip in April, and currently, the only card I have is my loving Bank of America debit card, which I found out the hard way charges a 3% fee when I went to London last summer. I'd like to get a credit card with no foreign transaction fees.

Complicating this: (a) as far as I can tell, I have no credit history (or if I did the site I used couldn't find it), and (b) I'm unemployed (which is, y'know, part of the reason I have the time for a giant Europe trip in April).

I'm guessing the combination of those two things means that I'm limited to secured credit cards? I'm wondering if the secured Discover card would make sense at all. I can imagine lots of places in Europe not taking Discover, but being able to fill in the gaps with my (Visa) debit card and eating the fees. There's a few other secured cards like the Capital One Secured Mastercard that don't have foreign fees, but seem to have other annoying restrictions (like not letting you upgrade to an unsecured card after a certain period of time).

Y'all have any recommendations for this? Think I should go with the Discover card since it's better than nothing (and I can ofc use it in general to build my credit score with a little bit of cash rewards which is nice), or something else?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/bankamericard-travel-rewards-credit-card/
You can try this one with BofA. It's not the best card out there, but the bank might give you a shot since you're an existing customer, and the card has no foreign transaction fees.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
If you can't find a credit card without fees you can probably find a debit card without any. Even my small town bank offered no international fees.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Bentai posted:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/bankamericard-travel-rewards-credit-card/
You can try this one with BofA. It's not the best card out there, but the bank might give you a shot since you're an existing customer, and the card has no foreign transaction fees.

Get the BofA travel card. It's 1.5% + bonus and no annual fee. Bonus starts at 10% and goes up with balances.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get a Charles Schwab checking account at the least. No ATM fees internationally and no foreign transaction fees on everything else.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get a Charles Schwab checking account at the least. No ATM fees internationally and no foreign transaction fees on everything else.

They do a credit check.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

astral posted:

They do a credit check.

They do a hardpull. I applied for a Schwab checking account when I was under 21 and had no credit, and was approved.

They use a credit report as a replacement for Chex, that's all

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I got my 40k Southwest bonus miles this statement for the chase SW card. Icing on the cake after the companion pass for all of 2018.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

spf3million posted:

I got my 40k Southwest bonus miles this statement for the chase SW card. Icing on the cake after the companion pass for all of 2018.

I am holding out to get under 5/24 in case they do that free companion pass offer again at the end of the year. I didn't realize how brutal that 5/24 rule would be until I realized how many awesome cards Chase had!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I managed to snag the 60k Southwest Plus card last year and timed the spend so that it deposited the points a week or two ago. Just applied for and got the 50k Premier card yesterday, so it'll be an easy companion pass for 2018+2019.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just passing along a second-hand endorsement for the Sapphire Reserve's travel insurance. My grandparents booked a cruise for December that they had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical emergency. They used points for airfare which were refunded almost immediately, and today they got a check back for $6318 for the cruise. I honestly was skeptical that it would work out for them, but I'm impressed that Chase paid out.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 28, 2018

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I give an A+ to the customer support for the sapphire cards. I have a CSP and they have always been great and so I am keeping it as my daily driver. If I traveled more, I would immediately upgrade to the CSR.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to buy visa gift cards/prepaid credit cards with a Chase Sapphire preffered? I have a month to spend $1500 dollars for the minimum spend bonus... I tried PNC bank but I hosed up one of their credit report questions so I can't apply online and they don't have any local branches... I tried Radpad to pay my rent but it says they''ll charge me on Jan 26th but guess what... its Jan 29th and there is not a customer support phone number to be found on that website.

Any other ideas?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

a dingus posted:

Is it possible to buy visa gift cards/prepaid credit cards with a Chase Sapphire preffered? I have a month to spend $1500 dollars for the minimum spend bonus... I tried PNC bank but I hosed up one of their credit report questions so I can't apply online and they don't have any local branches... I tried Radpad to pay my rent but it says they''ll charge me on Jan 26th but guess what... its Jan 29th and there is not a customer support phone number to be found on that website.

Any other ideas?

Got student loans? Buy gift of college cards. Can you prepay any utilities? Maybe buy a big ticket item you’ve been planning on buying

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

a dingus posted:

I have a month to spend $1500 dollars for the minimum spend bonus... I tried PNC bank but I hosed up one of their credit report questions so I can't apply online and they don't have any local branches...

Oof. That sucks.

Cacafuego posted:

Got student loans? Buy gift of college cards. Can you prepay any utilities?

Try the student loan card thing, maybe? Otherwise, dump 6 months worth of electric bill on it?

Good luck :(

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'll try the student loan thing. I normally pay around 750 maybe I'll just suck it up and pay my two highest interest loans off in one shot they add to about what I need to spend.

Screw the credit questions though, how the heck am I supposed to remember I opened a Nordstrom credit card for a single purchase on or around July 2012?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So I just got a preapproval offer from citi today to upgrade my citi dividend card to the citi Thank you preferred card. I don't use my citi dividend card much because the flashback is only a flat 1%, and I only keep it open because its my oldest account by far (close to 14 years now).

Is it worth changing to this card? It's be nice to have a card to use that gets 2% when eating/going out, the ones I use now all get 1.5%. Does anyone have any opinions on this card?

Edit: what's this student loan card thing you guys are talking about? I'd like to get some of the better cards with larger rewards, but I'm not a big spender so reaching some of the minimum spend things can be kinda hard sometimes for me.