Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NihilismNow posted:

There are still some 1080's for sale here and they are cheaper than 1070's. Why would you want a 1070 if you had to buy it at current prices?
Anyone remember when RX480 was going to be $200?

Because 1070s are more effective than 1080s at mining most altcoins, so a 1070 is worth a price premium over a 1080 to miners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
1070s only outearn in ethash. 1080s actually make more if you include all algorithms. If they are the same price buy the 1080

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

$200 was a bait and switch, it was for a limited release of 4gb cards, the actual price ended up at $230-250 until the June/July madness

Once upon a time, in the long-ago beforetime of May last year, you could get a 480 8 GB for $175 pretty easily. Historical low was either $150 or $130, I forget which. 4 GB cards usually ran $25 cheaper, or so. The 480 was dirt cheap.

(edit: dug up my link and it was $130)

Rebranding to the 580 helped to gently caress up the supply pipeline for a month or two and produced an initial surge in prices, and then Ethereum started taking off and welp.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Yeah during the 1060 >>>>> rx480 debates, and when the rx480s overdrew on the pcie spec. Good times good times

wtb 6x rx570 :sigh:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Once upon a time, in the long-ago beforetime of May last year, you could get a 480 8 GB for $175 pretty easily. Historical low was either $150 or $130, I forget which. 4 GB cards usually ran $25 cheaper, or so. The 480 was dirt cheap.

(edit: dug up my link and it was $130)

Rebranding to the 580 helped to gently caress up the supply pipeline for a month or two and produced an initial surge in prices, and then Ethereum started taking off and welp.

Worth noting that in that same time period, I bought a 6GB short, least desirable model GTX 1060 for $170 with one of the Jet.com promos.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

$200 was a bait and switch, it was for a limited release of 4gb cards, the actual price ended up at $230-250 until the June/July madness

the initial 4gb were also just flashed 8gb that you could reflash to the full 8. AMD is a big ol joke

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Worth noting that in that same time period, I bought a 6GB short, least desirable model GTX 1060 for $170 with one of the Jet.com promos.

I got a 480 4GB on Jet when it first launched and stacked coupons till it was $117, then I flashed it to 8GB. Might have been my best GPU deal ever.

Like, always buy the "halo" AMD card from Jet.com when it launches. It'll either go up a crazy amount because they didn't stock enough of them and morons actually want the things, or like the 480 or the 290 it'll turn out to be flashable to the next tier. If none of those are true, return to Jet.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I found in-stock cards, but the problem is im balking at $350 a 570 ugh

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

I found in-stock cards, but the problem is im balking at $350 a 570 ugh

389 for a 570 4gb but "free MSI B250M Motherboard w/ purchase, limited offer"
or 499 and "Free 23.8” Monitor w/ purchase, limited offer"
gently caress off newegg

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
At least they are doing something to stop miners

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

its also stopping everyone else. Who really wants that lovely mobo or monitor at full price?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

Not really. eBay prices for a 570 are ~$400 ish, so intrepid miners will still buy them and then simply try to sell off the extra gear.

Really all it's doing is helping NewEgg offload some poo poo components they couldn't otherwise sell.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The *coin costs and regulations seem to have made Winminer want to shut down. It's been days since I requested a cash out and still nothing. They sent me an email like it was withdrawn and debited my account, but they seem to either not have money or have decided to close up and stop paying.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

craig588 posted:

The *coin costs and regulations seem to have made Winminer want to shut down. It's been days since I requested a cash out and still nothing. They sent me an email like it was withdrawn and debited my account, but they seem to either not have money or have decided to close up and stop paying.

Not sure what you were trying to withdraw to, but I just withdrew to PayPal and it was completed and in my account in about 1 minute. It was only $20, though, so maybe if you were withdrawing substantially more there might be more of a delay?

Any chance you sent it to the wrong place? It's not like they do any sort of field check on what you put in for recipient address.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've always been sending to Amazon because I buy so much through there. Previously it's only taken a few hours.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I did an Amazon card earlier in the day and they did it in two minutes. For crying out loud just get the Amazon card.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's explicitly what I'm doing. Paypal can't be used at Amazon so I always get it in Amazon gift cards. I sent them an email to see if they can resend it since they seem to still be paying out for other people.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Oh no

I felt like they were less dirty lol

willroc7 posted:

Any ideas on when nicehash might payout >0.01btc to external wallets again? I finally hit that amount. Is it anybody's guess or has it been semi-weekly?

tehinternet posted:

I believe that payout is weekly. I remember it usually being on Sunday but who knows what/when it is now.

E: see post above ^^^

To throw my 2 cents on this, yes they started paying out maybe 2 weeks ago at 0.01 in the same manner they used to. The actual day of your payout seems random though its probably not. They do 0.01 payouts every day you can see them in their transactions list. It would seem whatever day you "get" is yours from that point on

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 20, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rx 580 already back up to 3.85 a day. Looks like this correction is over boys

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The new Nicehash client bumped my daily to over $5, guess I'll keep it going for a while longer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anybody else noticing CPU mining dropping for long periods of time in the last few days? It seems to come back up on its own eventually however if I just press stop and go it comes back immediately which is annoying.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hi Cryptogoons after stopping Nicehash back when they were still 1.x in version because it went under 3 bucks a day for a GTX1080, I am now gathering that it's a bit better again which would make it 'worth it' for me on my balls-rear end expensive power costs.

I don't mind contributing to destroying our planet for the next generation.

Is Nicehash still good to use after they stole everybody's bitcoins (lol)?
Is Gyft still good for buying Amazon gift cards and/or other gift cards?
Is Coinbase still good to use if I only ever plan to cash out to Amazon gift cards?

Thank ye.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hi Cryptogoons after stopping Nicehash back when they were still 1.x in version because it went under 3 bucks a day for a GTX1080, I am now gathering that it's a bit better again which would make it 'worth it' for me on my balls-rear end expensive power costs.

I don't mind contributing to destroying our planet for the next generation.

Is Nicehash still good to use after they stole everybody's bitcoins (lol)?
Is Gyft still good for buying Amazon gift cards and/or other gift cards?
Is Coinbase still good to use if I only ever plan to cash out to Amazon gift cards?

Thank ye.

It can work if you use the nicehash wallet then cash out straight to coinbase with no fees then straight into usd or to a place you can sell it for your country's coin (yes im salty that coinbase still wont sell in AUD why you ask)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Scarecow posted:

It can work if you use the nicehash wallet then cash out straight to coinbase with no fees then straight into usd or to a place you can sell it for your country's coin (yes im salty that coinbase still wont sell in AUD why you ask)

Does putting in coinbase's wallet id no longer work for Nicehash?

Yeah I'm not in the US and Coinbase doesn't buy/sell in my currency, but I'm not concerned since I only plan to convert it to Amazon gift cards anyway so I can buy more useless poo poo that I don't need.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does putting in coinbase's wallet id no longer work for Nicehash?

Yeah I'm not in the US and Coinbase doesn't buy/sell in my currency, but I'm not concerned since I only plan to convert it to Amazon gift cards anyway so I can buy more useless poo poo that I don't need.

no you use your nicehash account wallet to mine till you hit 0.002BTC then you can transfer it to the coinbase account with zero fees and instant transaction time

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Nicehash morning -> nicehash wallet -> xfer to coinbase wallet -> sell that poo poo

For USA anyway

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don't leave it in coinbase's wallet either. Transfer it to a cold storage wallet or into fiat asap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scarecow posted:

no you use your nicehash account wallet to mine till you hit 0.002BTC then you can transfer it to the coinbase account with zero fees and instant transaction time
Ugh, I think I entered a coinbase wallet when I started mining. The balance is now ast 0.0016 - can I still change it or am I stuck until this is deposited? What's the downside to leaving it like this? I just want to get it out to payal since I'm not in the US.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

Ugh, I think I entered a coinbase wallet when I started mining. The balance is now ast 0.0016 - can I still change it or am I stuck until this is deposited? What's the downside to leaving it like this? I just want to get it out to payal since I'm not in the US.

if you have nicehash going to a external wallet your out of luck as it needs to get to 0.1 ( AFAIK) BTC to get a pay out so may as well cut your loss and move to a nicehash wallet from now

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I wouldn't leave money in Coinbase right now. The market on GDax is being manipulated in extremely obvious ways, and they haven't said a word or done anything to stop it, so may even be in on it. I think a lot is about to go down in the near future.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scarecow posted:

if you have nicehash going to a external wallet your out of luck as it needs to get to 0.1 ( AFAIK) BTC to get a pay out so may as well cut your loss and move to a nicehash wallet from now
gently caress, really? Seems like I'd never get it out at this rate. They say they pay out balance over 0.01 at "irregular schedule" whatever the gently caress that is, and even that would take me like a month with no guarantee of an actual payout.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress, really? Seems like I'd never get it out at this rate. They say they pay out balance over 0.01 at "irregular schedule" whatever the gently caress that is, and even that would take me like a month with no guarantee of an actual payout.

Welcome to cryptocurrency mining. It's a negative sum game.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you cryptogoons for the tips. Does anybody have any recommendations for offline wallets? Or at least something better than Coinbase?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

mobby_6kl posted:

I just got my .01 payout. It’s roughly weekly. No guarantee though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

They started paying out at 0.01 2-3 weeks ago. That was in direct response to $30 (or whatever) transaction fees at the time. Once they went away NIcehash returned to their regular payouts. I wouldnt pay attention to the "next payout" box, it was generally wrong before when things weren't weird and now its even worse. I just waited until 0.01 and switched over to internal wallet and it all worked out so far.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

They started paying out at 0.01 2-3 weeks ago. That was in direct response to $30 (or whatever) transaction fees at the time. Once they went away NIcehash returned to their regular payouts. I wouldnt pay attention to the "next payout" box, it was generally wrong before when things weren't weird and now its even worse. I just waited until 0.01 and switched over to internal wallet and it all worked out so far.

Yeah, there’s no reason to distrust the nice mining company who lost 60million dollars from your wallets 🙂

And also changed the payment options without warning

What’s the big deal? It’s crypto

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah, there’s no reason to distrust the nice mining company who lost 60million dollars from your wallets 🙂

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't leave it in coinbase's wallet either. Transfer it to a cold storage wallet or into fiat asap.

I mean, that is the rule of the game right now, which is to mearly minimize your loss when Coinbase/Entire Bitcoin Ecosystem goes tits up, there is really no way to avoid it entirely. Other than not to play.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yeah I wouldn't leave money in Coinbase right now. The market on GDax is being manipulated in extremely obvious ways, and they haven't said a word or done anything to stop it, so may even be in on it. I think a lot is about to go down in the near future.

If you have usd in coinbase its FDIC insured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Which is why its very nice and important that you can remove money from them 5 times faster (realistically more than that as well) than before. So far - Im not going to be shocked if it eventually goes back up to 0.01 for coinbase as well. My tied up BTC with them lasts no longer than 2 days vs up to 14 before.

• Locked thread