Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Happening had some great trailers though. People leaping off buildings, rustling leaves, Mark Walhberg looking really loving worried. There were some very dramatic shots. My God, that was a terrible movie.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Happening had some great trailers though. People leaping off buildings, rustling leaves, Mark Walhberg looking really loving worried. There were some very dramatic shots. My God, that was a terrible movie, though.

The scene of them driving through this neighborhood full of people who hung themselves was pretty haunting too
Shame about the everything else

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’m mystified about the hate for The Happening, it’s a moderately amusing horror/comedy with some good horror and good comedy bits.

I’m not mystified by the hate for that Mel Gibson crap though, if you get both pretentious and portentous you gotta deliver.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair that scene is weird from both ends, I'd probably sound like that too if someone asked if I was planning on murdering them - it's just a weird thing to say. My reaction might have been "What? Of course not, that's a weird thing to ask..." Even if I were, like I'd tell her...

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The good thing about being a director I guess is that you get to decide a lot of how the movie is shot and edited before audiences are supposed to see it

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
The Lady in the Water is his best film, and will fight anyone that disagrees with me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Shyamalan is a director with a lot of really great ideas and absolutely no sense to tell them apart from the terrible, terrible ideas he also has. He needs someone that he has a really good close relationship with, that he trusts completely, to tell him that an idea is loving stupid and he shouldn't do it. He's also terrible at action.

I'm glad he's sticking to relatively cheap movies where there are very low expectations and he can just do something small and fun without getting too up his own rear end.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gejimayu posted:

The Lady in the Water is his best film, and will fight anyone that disagrees with me.

I like the part where the director cast himself as the writer whose work of art will literally change the world. Very subtle

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jan 20, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Shyamalan is a director with a lot of really great ideas and absolutely no sense to tell them apart from the terrible, terrible ideas he also has. He needs someone that he has a really good close relationship with, that he trusts completely, to tell him that an idea is loving stupid and he shouldn't do it. He's also terrible at action.

I'm glad he's sticking to relatively cheap movies where there are very low expectations and he can just do something small and fun without getting too up his own rear end.

Shyamalan is truly his generation's George Lucas.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Happening had some great trailers though. People leaping off buildings, rustling leaves, Mark Walhberg looking really loving worried. There were some very dramatic shots. My God, that was a terrible movie.

The bit where the cop shoots herself and then the scene follows the gun as a bunch more people shoot themselves is pretty good.

But the scene where they try to outrun the wind more than compensates for that one decent bit of film-making.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Away all Goats posted:

I like the part where the director cast himself as the writer whose work of art will literally change the world. Very subtle

I know, I know, I was literally just talking about that with my wife. But it's a great piece of modern fantasy that doesnt rely on a twist.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Happening would have been great if there was no explanation for the event. Just two hours of people killing themselves and the survivers wondering when they each will succumb to whatever force is at work. That way there's no outrunning the wind or negotiating with plastic trees.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rydiafan posted:

The Happening would have been great if there was no explanation for the event. Just two hours of people killing themselves and the survivers wondering when they each will succumb to whatever force is at work. That way there's no outrunning the wind or negotiating with plastic trees.

The crazy dude has a great explanation about plants hating on humans, but he was a legit crazy man. We have no idea if he was actually right.

I do think that people expected a thriller, but got a comedy / thriller. If you think of the humor as intentional, it elevates the movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

out of the ten movies night has made icluding sixth sense ive ratd six at decent or higher

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Memento posted:

The bit where the cop shoots herself and then the scene follows the gun as a bunch more people shoot themselves is pretty good.

But the scene where they try to outrun the wind more than compensates for that one decent bit of film-making.

That whole buildup is fantastic. It's scary and creepy and beautiful but then it just becomes stupid.

Those openening scenes, tnough

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I have to wonder how he hosed up The Last Airbender so badly. I'm guessing it was more cases of 'My ideas are better than the silly cartoon's ideas'.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I have to wonder how he hosed up The Last Airbender so badly. I'm guessing it was more cases of 'My ideas are better than the silly cartoon's ideas'.

I just wanna know why an Asian dude thought it'd be a good idea to cast Asians with white dudes and dudettes. Like, hey, this is one of the few occasion where not whitewashing a movie will actually improve your numbers!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Has everyone forgotten that he also made After Earth, the dreadful Jayden Smith vehicle?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Has everyone forgotten that he also made After Earth, the dreadful Jayden Smith vehicle?

Yes, and gently caress you for bringing up that awful turd of a movie.

"Everything has evolved to kill humans!" NO IT DIDN'T YOU SCIENTOLOGIST PIECE OF poo poo THERE WERE NO HUMANS gently caress YOU AND YOUR STUPID SON I HOPE BOTH OF YOU MEET YOUR END IN A TIRE FIRE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, and gently caress you for bringing up that awful turd of a movie.

"Everything has evolved to kill humans!" NO IT DIDN'T YOU SCIENTOLOGIST PIECE OF poo poo THERE WERE NO HUMANS gently caress YOU AND YOUR STUPID SON I HOPE BOTH OF YOU MEET YOUR END IN A TIRE FIRE

To be fair to that incredibly stupid plot point the point could be made that animals started getting better at doing that due to natural selection making sure that the ones that could withstand humans would survive being hunted to near extinction to the extent that humans had to flee earth due to things getting out of hand. For example if a leopard had some weird mutation that made it's hide tougher, and all the other leopards got killed in machinegun/pistol fire and the tougher hided one survived it would be more likely to pass on the "Thicker , bulletproof skin" gene. Then those cubs in which it expressed would be more likely to survive themselves, etc, until a few thousand years later a few pockets of nature have become Australia levels of "gently caress you" to the extent that they start killing humans faster, because they can.

It's still dumb, and a dumb way of putting it, and I have no idea why I'm trying to defend it. I think I'm just treating it as a thought experiment, like if I was forced to write a story in which that was the premise that's how I would handle it given 5 minutes of barely thought.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair to that incredibly stupid plot point the point could be made that animals started getting better at doing that due to natural selection making sure that the ones that could withstand humans would survive being hunted to near extinction to the extent that humans had to flee earth due to things getting out of hand. For example if a leopard had some weird mutation that made it's hide tougher, and all the other leopards got killed in machinegun/pistol fire and the tougher hided one survived it would be more likely to pass on the "Thicker , bulletproof skin" gene. Then those cubs in which it expressed would be more likely to survive themselves, etc, until a few thousand years later a few pockets of nature have become Australia levels of "gently caress you" to the extent that they start killing humans faster, because they can.

It's still dumb, and a dumb way of putting it, and I have no idea why I'm trying to defend it. I think I'm just treating it as a thought experiment, like if I was forced to write a story in which that was the premise that's how I would handle it given 5 minutes of barely thought.

Dammit Bio, I know your schtick is rummaging through the midden-heap of media and finding gems, but After Earth is indefensible on every level and all you're going to find rummaging through it are corn hulls and dysentary.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dammit Bio, I know your schtick is rummaging through the midden-heap of media, but After Earth is indefensible on every level.

I know, I'm just having fun. Edit: Not trolling or anything, I just find it fun to over think things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will Smith isn’t a Scientologist.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Pook Good Mook posted:

GENERAL CYPHER RAIGE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not a movie, but a clever way Rocko's Modern Life uses an old joke/cliche - the elevator floors being announced. The reason each floor has a list rattled off of all items sold is because Rocko is listing them while looking for Dr Hutchinson on each floor - "11th Floor... Underwear, Dog toys, home movie equipment... I Don't see them!"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aphrodite posted:

Will Smith isn’t a Scientologist.

I’d like to believe that, but he’s friends with Tom Cruise, has donated in excess of $100,000 to the CoS, his wife was seen repeatedly at the CoS celebrity centre, he put a Scientologist as the head of a school he funded, and there’s random articles claiming he "left" it. So he probably is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scientology is not about keeping its celebrity members secret.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aphrodite posted:

Scientology is not about keeping its celebrity members secret.

They are 100% about loving with people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I've forgotten more bad M. Night Shyamalan movies than I can remember existing.

He did After Earth also? Jeez...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i loved the rooftop scene but watching it again its badly written

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCh_2_zVaY

"give him some room" .......

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just realised how weird the world of Rocko's Modern Life really is - and realised why as well.

Most stories with cartoon animals have two styles - animals acting as people (Ren and Stimpy, Father of The Pride etc) or animals acting as animals but given a human voice (Animals of Farthing Wood, Watership Down) - however Zootopia and Rocko both strike a compromise - in Zootopia they used to act like wild animals but civilised over time and stopped eating each other. Zootopia was one, and is now the other.

However, Rocko combines them. Heffer's parents adopted him with the intention of eating him but grew to love him as their own son, the Bigheads eat sapient insects who are characters in their own right but are still treated as mindless insects, the Chokey Chicken hires chickens to work there and promptly kills them for their meals, with the hiring manager himself being a chicken, selling out his own kind without a single twinge of guilt. The reason: Capitalism run amock, a literal dog-eat-dog world. Everyone stepping on each other and literally devouring each other to survive because that's what the society encourages. Certainly it has jokes about corporations, like the mall in the centre of a national park and the "campsite" that is just a paved over trailer park, but the greatest joke it tells is right at it's core - the world of O-Town is a nasty place where Virginia Woolfe would either eat you or serve you a meal in equal likelihood, depending on what her family needed at the time, which the episode An Elf for Heffer brought into sharp focus. Even Rocko, the kindest inhabitant of O-Town by far, is still pushed to satisfy his darker urges by this city built on competition above all else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rocko's Modern Life is basically a brutal social satire of modern capitalism in the guise of a children's cartoon.

The fishing episode gave me existential dread as a child.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was showing Black Dynamite to a friend last night and she pointed out a gag that I had missed before (I think I find something new every time). When Black Dynamite offers to give Gloria a ride down the street, it’s evening. When they get to Roscoe’s it’s the middle of the day.

Also, at one point in the movie he says “By the ghost of Abraham Lincoln I will emancipate and proclamate your rear end!” At the end of the movie, he is saved by the ghost of Abraham Lincoln. Maybe that’s not actually subtle but I don’t think I thought about it before.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jan 21, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Rocko's Modern Life is basically a brutal social satire of modern capitalism in the guise of a children's cartoon.

The fishing episode gave me existential dread as a child.

I know, I was just unpacking the layers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sorry, was being obvious. In retrospect it's right there; the episode where Ed Bighead ends up rocketing through the corporate ladder out of sheer luck because he takes advice from a magic meatball (like a magic 8-ball, but... meat) where hard work and competence failed, and loses it just as quickly when left to this own devices. Or the Spring Cleaning episode where everyone makes an effort to clean up their own space, but it's pointless with how Conglom-O is polluting the town and owns the government, and it takes Rocko's idealistic activism to get them to cut down and make the town liveable again. Even the episode where Rocko's home videos, including one where he's naked getting a midnight snack, are turned into a commercial art film without his knowledge or informed consent, and he has to deal with his private life being made public for entertainment.

drat, that show has aged terrifyingly well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sorry, was being obvious. In retrospect it's right there; the episode where Ed Bighead ends up rocketing through the corporate ladder out of sheer luck because he takes advice from a magic meatball (like a magic 8-ball, but... meat) where hard work and competence failed, and loses it just as quickly when left to this own devices. Or the Spring Cleaning episode where everyone makes an effort to clean up their own space, but it's pointless with how Conglom-O is polluting the town and owns the government, and it takes Rocko's idealistic activism to get them to cut down and make the town liveable again. Even the episode where Rocko's home videos, including one where he's naked getting a midnight snack, are turned into a commercial art film without his knowledge or informed consent, and he has to deal with his private life being made public for entertainment.

drat, that show has aged terrifyingly well.

Rocko can be pretty badass when pissed off or when something he cares about is in danger of being hurt in any way. In the episode when the bugs invaded his kitchen I was actually worried for them - my thoughts were literally "Careful Flecko, he's nice, but you don't want to take advantage of that. He has a fury that boy..." Also that great moment when Rocko warns Ed that if he keeps his behaviour the way it is he will lose Bev to another man, after Ed thinks he's caught them in a compromising position and responds by insulting Bev ("You've seen my wife in her bathrobe!? Isn't it awful...:smith:). "Why, If I wasn't such a gentleman, I'd... I'd...*kisses Bev on the hand and leaves*"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There was that time Rocko was seduced by capitalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbaRmdpALsE

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
just lol if you don't get out of the shower, put a towel on, puff your chest out and scream "YEAH, MELBA!" over and over. Every single time. As a 30 year old man with children.

edit: Also lol if you can't single the entire Recycling song from memory. ARE EEE SEE WHY SEE ELL EEE RECYCLLLLLLLLLLLLLE

edit: you guys I think I just figured out I'm autistic

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jan 21, 2018

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

just lol if you don't get out of the shower, put a towel on, puff your chest out and scream "YEAH, MELBA!" over and over. Every single time. As a 30 year old man with children.

edit: Also lol if you can't single the entire Recycling song from memory. ARE EEE SEE WHY SEE ELL EEE RECYCLLLLLLLLLLLLLE

edit: you guys I think I just figured out I'm autistic

Dawning Realization Day can be a very dangerous day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's definitely been mentioned before, but in I Am Legend the mannequin that's where it shouldn't be turning it's head is a great touch