Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
There was a graphic gay sex scene with the second devilman, so yeah Ryo x Akira were definitely not the only bi/gay people in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

even if that point wasn't loving stupid, i literally just quoted you saying "The only same sex relationship with romantic undertones is Akira and Ryo's" in the post you are responding to. i don't understand if you're willfully ignoring half my posts or what.

actually, i think that it's more "in this specific case, the theory you are putting forward that these two characters have nonplatonic feelings for each other is really dumb."

people can disagree with you about that, to the point of thinking you're a loving moron for thinking that, without it being "my assumptions can not be questioned"

I never said that the theory two characters have non-platonic feelings is dumb, or the opposite. Thinking that it's dumb to have a non-sexual reading is supported by the text, and that's why multiple interpretations are valid. If people get mad about that, it's most likely because they feel that they can't identify with a character unless they are gay, straight, or bi. Doing so misses the entire point of Devilman.

There is no reason to get mad about any of this. I have never denied the validity of alternate readings, I've affirmed them over and over again.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you have a lot of things to say about what you've never said

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RME posted:

you have a lot of things to say about what you've never said

That's because it's all related to Devilman.

e: I just noticed that at the beginning of the show, during the age of demons, the Earth has no moon. The moon formed from a debris ring left by the angels. Something else to consider about the time loop.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 21, 2018

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So back when I was 17 or 18, I got all five volumes of the bilingual editions of the Devilman manga from some international online bookstore. As a teenage boy that just finally figured out that they were ~*~bisexual~*~ and had a lot of confused feelings about it due to growing up in a super conservative Christian home, I really appreciated Devilman because I could relate to Akira for being a confused teenager that turned into a monster and was romantically interested in both a girl (Miki) and a boy (Ryo). It's been over a decade since I've read it (since when I went off to college my mom found them and threw them out lol) so I don't know how much of that is actual text/subtext and how much is stuff I read into it, but it did help me sort out a lot of my feelings and made me more comfortable accepting being bi. And I really appreciate that crybaby is even gayer than the manga (and I'm including Miko/Miki in that, sorry if that gaslights anyone), and hope that it helps out any queer kids watching it on Netflix nowadays in a similar way.

Anyway, that's my story about Devilman and being gay, thanks for listening. If anybody has a similar story about Devilman or some other show please share it and maybe the thread will be better.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I just read a lot of posts since yesterday and to catch up, yes that's Louisa Ferre from SMT:SJ, Miki and Miko are together in two moon world, and whoever recommended Re: Cutie Honey and those that supported this are good people and I appreciate you all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote this post if you think the russian dog man is denying the validity of readings different from his

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you think the russian dog man is denying the validity of readings different from his

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the acid breastmilk devilman really has it rough

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Endorph posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Don't gaslight me

Endorph posted:

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

yes, which is kind of hilarious considering he was throwing around gaslighting accusations earlier but please god can we talk about anything else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's talk about how the best go nagai reboot adaptation is shin jeeg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I71tKoa-DiM

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Cutie Honey looks fun, maybe someday I will give it a spin

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
shin jeeg is good, but shin mazinger is better imho. if i had crazy billionaire money, i'd pay imagawa to do a three hour remake of Mazinger Z vs. Devilman.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Compendium posted:

Re:Cutie Honey ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Compendium posted:

re:cutie honey is one of the best ovas ever made

you can, uh, skip most other cutie honey things

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

*Dororon Enma-kun*

I guess I'm going to read the manga because the only anime I can find is from the 70s and has 1 seed.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Compendium posted:

re:cutie honey is really good but id never recommend the original manga unless you want a manga written by a guy who's intensely weird about... lesbians...

Calvin Coolposts posted:

shin jeeg is good, but shin mazinger is better imho. if i had crazy billionaire money, i'd pay imagawa to do a three hour remake of Mazinger Z vs. Devilman.
shin mazinger has some real good stuff but i think the stuff with zeus and the first episode being a flash forward and it being 26 episodes is kind of overreaching a bit. shin jeeg just gets in, does exactly what it needs to do, and gets out, which i really admire.

if i were wishing i'd want a shin grendizer.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

re:cutie honey is really good but id never recommend the original manga unless you want a manga written by a guy who's intensely weird about... lesbians...

Judging by the other goon's reactions about Devilman Lady, Nagai being weird about lesbians sure is a thing huh

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I felt like Shin Mazinger got really bogged down with too many characters, too much narrating and exposition and so on, and I don't think the anti-climax it ends on really works.

It's a shame because on paper I like a lot of what its going for, but not so much in execution. It's been fun in SRW though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the original cutie honey manga is just, really gross and pervy in a bad way and doesn't have much of a point to end on since it doesn't have an actual ending. the anime is slightly better but it still literally incinerates honey's girlfriend halfway through and doesn't have an ending, shin cutie honey is sort of a direct sequel and it's significantly better than both but again, no ending

re:cutie honey is just a really awesome story about a police woman's relationship with honey that portrays them both as mega badasses who don't need to rely on each other to be awesome but kick extra tons of rear end when they do, and actually uses its goofy fanservice and nudity in an interesting way narratively that i really appreciate on top of liking boobs and butts

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really liked the stuff with Zeus and the weird first episode and the narration, but I really like Imagawa and shin mazinger was basically Imagawa just going apeshit with his own style so I get how it wouldn't work for everybody. the cliffhanger/anti-climax end was kind of a bummer, though. agreed about shin jeeg, though, plus I dug how it was more of a sequel than a remake.

also, i'm about halfway through the first volume of devilman lady and goddam go nagai is just the horniest motherfucker alive, isn't he? not sure I'm gonna finish it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
go nagai constantly had a raging boner and nobody could really tell him to stop

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm a horny straight guy and I just get bored every time I tried to read the original cutie honey. Re:Cutie Honey otoh is a blast all the way through

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yo if I wanted to experience the original Jeeg before Shin Jeeg, do I watch the anime or read the manga?

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Re: Cutie Honey owns, is the live action movie that came out around the same time any good?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Colonel posted:

go nagai constantly had a raging boner and nobody could really tell him to stop

telling him to stop actually made it worse since when the PTA started getting mad at him he cranked it the gently caress up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Yo if I wanted to experience the original Jeeg before Shin Jeeg, do I watch the anime or read the manga?
id read the manga if you can get a hold of it, its only ten chapters compared to the old tv anime being stretched out to 46 episodes. otoh im pretty sure shin jeeg references a few things that are only in the old anime, but on the other other hand do you really wanna watch 46 episodes of a 70s robot show.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

has imagawa done anything recent

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

the acid breastmilk devilman really has it rough
Thats Miko

Liver Disaster posted:

I just read a lot of posts since yesterday and to catch up, yes that's Louisa Ferre from SMT:SJ, Miki and Miko are together in two moon world, and whoever recommended Re: Cutie Honey and those that supported this are good people and I appreciate you all.

Huh hey Miko did not realize you cameoed there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endorph posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

id read the manga if you can get a hold of it, its only ten chapters compared to the old tv anime being stretched out to 46 episodes. otoh im pretty sure shin jeeg references a few things that are only in the old anime, but on the other other hand do you really wanna watch 46 episodes of a 70s robot show.
Alright cool I'll track down that manga then.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats Miko

Huh hey Miko did not realize you cameoed there.

Re: Cutie Comiket is pretty packed!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

has imagawa done anything recent
he's done storyboards on a few episodes of a few shows shows (durarara and its sequel seasons notably) but the last thing he directed was keiji in 2013. which was basically sengoku hokuto no ken that's only animated for about 4 minutes an episode, though it's at least better than fist of the blue sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh just found out that this Demon was the one who attacked Miko and Kukun at the Sabbath.

She was initially in her human guise from Devilman G.

In the original Manga she worked with Jinmen for a bit.

• Locked thread