Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

the real schadenfreude here is how many americans refuse to admit this is probably a bad way to build cities

Maybe it's because I live in the burbs, but that picture of an area implies a lot of available (and free) parking, which is a huge plus and attractor compared to an alternative that will probably require me to pay for parking.

I'd prolly go into the city (Chicago, for me) if they had stuff like that. They tend not to, so I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Maybe it's because I live in the burbs, but that picture of an area implies a lot of available (and free) parking, which is a huge plus and attractor compared to an alternative that will probably require me to pay for parking.

I'd prolly go into the city (Chicago, for me) if they had stuff like that. They tend not to, so I don't.

This is a completely baffling attitude to me. I'd much rather pay 30 dollars to park for the evening* and walk around to the literal thousands of things to do in downtown Chicago than save the 30 bucks and go to a chain restaurant in a suburban asphalt sea. I've lived in small towns, big cities, spread-out sprawl and dense urban cores, and that picture -- and environment -- depresses me the most.

*or, you know, take the train in and pay 5 bucks, but some people are super opposed to riding the train like a poor for some reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I judge a place by how safe it is to be near black out drunk and still get home.

1. Rural - pretty safe. No one around so even if you decide to drive home like an rear end in a top hat you'll probably only kill yourself. Though, most of the time when you're binge drinking in the boondocks you're already at the place you're gonna stay at.

2. City - pretty safe. There's always a cab or public transit to at least get you to your door.

3. Suburbs - a nightmare hellscape. Every sip of alcohol you take in the burbs is coin flip with the grim reaper. Nothing but police, people, cars, and poorly laid out streets. Usually no public transit to get you home. Calling a cab may be an option, but it'll probably take an hour to get there. Driving will net you a DUI or kill everyone but you. And nosey neighbors that will judge you for passing out on your own damned porch.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTFBFHtfg1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwHwfFAFDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ7suQSwxeI

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

jesus loving christ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know it's just the car slowing down but it looks like dropping those bags made the bus speed up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

This is a completely baffling attitude to me. I'd much rather pay 30 dollars to park for the evening* and walk around to the literal thousands of things to do in downtown Chicago than save the 30 bucks and go to a chain restaurant in a suburban asphalt sea. I've lived in small towns, big cities, spread-out sprawl and dense urban cores, and that picture -- and environment -- depresses me the most.

*or, you know, take the train in and pay 5 bucks, but some people are super opposed to riding the train like a poor for some reason.

I should've been a bit more clear: I have gone into the city for the major things that are only there (the museums come to mind, and the occasional play), but most of those "literal thousands of things to do in the city" are generally things I can do a lot closer to home without having to pay for parking or doubling my commute time on the train. To say nothing of the constant nature of everything costing more than it should in the city because it's, you know, the city.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Threnody For England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XEINagmaU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

MisterBibs posted:

I should've been a bit more clear: I have gone into the city for the major things that are only there (the museums come to mind, and the occasional play), but most of those "literal thousands of things to do in the city" are generally things I can do a lot closer to home without having to pay for parking or doubling my commute time on the train. To say nothing of the constant nature of everything costing more than it should in the city because it's, you know, the city.

I agree completely. Have you seen what some of those Wolf Gang Puck type places charge for a hamburger? You can make a just as good a burger in your own kitchen, using fresh ingredients, for a fraction of the money. Then you can wash it down with a beer from a six pack that cost as much as a single glass in a bar.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

i lived all my life in the suburbs and moved to an apartment in the city just a couple of years ago and you're so incredibly wrong. there is nothing to do in the suburbs except get drunk and smoke cones

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
that goes double if youre gay, holy poo poo what a miserable place the suburbs are

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Ive lived in rural america, american suburbia, urban america and urban mexico.

By far suburbia is the absolute worst for basically everything. Like rural america has its faults too and i wouldn't choose to live there again, but the fact I could just gently caress off into the woods whenever i wanted was cool, plus there were more places for me to walk and bike too without getting run over.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
live where you would like to live, and dont kinkshame peeps who live where you dont like to live.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slugnoid posted:

i lived all my life in the suburbs and moved to an apartment in the city just a couple of years ago and you're so incredibly wrong.

I'm glad you're happier in the city than you were in the burbs, but I'm somewhat at a loss for why you'd say I'm wrong about something I've told you is the way of things for me. I'm not avoiding the city because I want to spite the grand name of the city of Chicago, I avoid it because the "can I get {thing} without going to the city?" is generally yes. I'll schelp there if there's something special or unique, no problem, but there's nothing you could say that removes the whole "everything is nearby" thing.

To reframe this to keep on-topic, attempts by city-dwelling people to claim its better than what I have here in the burbs is always low-level schadenfreude. Like, it's not enough that they like it, they need me to like it too.

e: vvv You have me confused with someone else; I like a lot of movies that haven't done very well. Sure, most of the movies I like are the ones that have done well (and most movies I don't, don't), but that's just good taste more than anything.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Jan 21, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kind of like how you can't enjoy a movie unless you know lots of other people also paid money to see it?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
lets get back on track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-7g-fl3g8

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

yeah. the main reason people aren't willing to challenge their assumptions about whether or not it's good to base the built environment around the assumption of car ownership is that it is very convenient, and humans are essentially lazy (not saying you specifically)

you look at that and see convenience, i look at it and see about fifty or so housing units that won't be built because that space must remain empty 98% of the time on the off chance that someone may park there again next christmas

in my mind, it's the same as scott adams keeping a fully decorated christmas tree in a closet year round so he can save the time and effort of putting up and decorating a tree every year

Slugnoid posted:

i lived all my life in the suburbs and moved to an apartment in the city just a couple of years ago and you're so incredibly wrong. there is nothing to do in the suburbs except get drunk and smoke cones

everyone has their own preferences. personally i think the suburbs are an utter cultural wasteland with nothing interesting to do. but i have to admit that it's entirely valid for people who enjoy homeownership, owning land, taking care of a property, as well as all the space suburban living can bring to folks who have space intensive hobbies like car restoration, working in a workshop, or just collecting a shitload of funko pops

it's a value judgement about whether the environment in which your residence exists is more important than the properties of your residence itself and there's nothing wrong with valuing one over the other

funmanguy posted:

live where you would like to live, and dont kinkshame peeps who live where you dont like to live.

agreed 100%

i would rather jump in front of a train than live in the suburbs again but the people who choose to live there aren't inherently bad people. they just have a different set of values is all

boner confessor has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Jan 21, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

boner confessor posted:

you look at that and see convenience, i look at it and see about fifty or so housing units that won't be built because that space must remain empty 98% of the time on the off chance that someone may park there again next christmas

in my mind, it's the same as scott adams keeping a fully decorated christmas tree in a closet year round so he can save the time and effort of putting up and decorating a tree every year

lmbo scott adams is the weirdest freak, everything he says is wrong

anyway i second your call for more housing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4SKDFnY0I

"scott adams advice"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slugnoid posted:

there is nothing to do in the suburbs except get drunk and smoke cones

I think you'll find an ever growing number of people for whom this is their literal only activity outside of work hours.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

I know it's just the car slowing down but it looks like dropping those bags made the bus speed up.

You say dropping bags, I say dumping ballast.

Also, I can't believe how neatly the bags fell out. I would have expected tumbling and breaking apart, but they all went nicely to the edge of the highway. Even Japanese luggage is fastidiously tidy.

Given how much seed flies out of that thing, I gotta say, it looks like a win for the squirrel.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Salad posted:

Given how much seed flies out of that thing, I gotta say, it looks like a win for the squirrel.

yeah, squirrels are smart little bastards, the real schad here is on whoever thinks this is more than a minor inconvenience to the squirrel

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hell, that could be the sqirrels tactic at his point. He knows it's going to spin, so he just jumps on, gets a fun ride for a few seconds, and the feeder will spill out some food. Collect it all, go home and spit it out, and then head back for another round on the tilt-a-whirl.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Codependent Poster posted:

Someone constantly falling for something reminds me of this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAR-DurmA6o

Lots of stuff gets posted in PYF that I don't get at all. And that's cool and fine and just part of posting on a forum with a whole bunch of people with different experiences and interests. But this is just so confusing that I need someone to patiently explain it to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Lots of stuff gets posted in PYF that I don't get at all. And that's cool and fine and just part of posting on a forum with a whole bunch of people with different experiences and interests. But this is just so confusing that I need someone to patiently explain it to me.

These moments are actually weeks apart and aren't really cut in a way that's noticeable.

Basically, he downloaded a bunch of songs and one of them had a clip of him saying "Chris Benoit killed his family" back when the incident happened. He and his co-host keep forgetting the title and intro of the song (partly because they do a fuckton of shows) and every week or two he got sent the song again and accidentally played it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it sounds like its casey kasem

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

thousands of people pay for parking every day, so it must be great

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

boner confessor posted:

in my experience americans treat the possibility of not having to drive everywhere the same as they treat single payer healthcare. despite every other nation figuring out how to do it it just can't work here
The Great North American Schadenfreude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alaois posted:

No man he's figured it out. Why go to a Panera in the city when you can just go to a Panera down the street and not even have to pay for parking? And the appletinis at the T.G.I. Friday's at Navy Pier cost like twice what they do out in Schaumberg!

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://i.imgur.com/C4s8VIP.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

boner confessor posted:

in my experience americans treat the possibility of not having to drive everywhere the same as they treat single payer healthcare. despite every other nation figuring out how to do it it just can't work here

America is the 3rd or 4th largest (depending on measurement method) country in the world and unlike the countries that are largest (Russia, Canada, China), almost all of the US is already developed or easily can be so the population is incredibly spread out. There's a valid argument that it probably isn't a great thing that the country developed the way it did, but public transportation just isn't feasible in a good portion of America, even if there was political and financial will to do it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Everyone loves a good car crash, but the ocean has such fails to show you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J6TTeL-wNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS3ALOmIXSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVIe8ZGzwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sve2o486PE

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Pook Good Mook posted:

America is the 3rd or 4th largest (depending on measurement method) country in the world and unlike the countries that are largest (Russia, Canada, China), almost all of the US is already developed or easily can be so the population is incredibly spread out. There's a valid argument that it probably isn't a great thing that the country developed the way it did, but public transportation just isn't feasible in a good portion of America, even if there was political and financial will to do it.

If Eisenhower had even an inkling to integrate light commuter rail with the interstate highway system. Hindsight is 20/20.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

All hail this new world order!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Alaois posted:

Thousands of people park every day but you put one bus stop in the middle of a city and it makes people crazy.

You can smell the fear.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

The schadenfreude is the guy in the video, right? A retarded douche trying to appear cool or relatable or something by regurgitating the well known consensus on an obvious piece of poo poo, but framing it in some sort of contrived sthd.txt so it would seem like he came up with that, all the while cramming the word "like" into his sentences as much as he can.

The 100 views really makes it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Gorilla Salad posted:

this is so much better without context

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Meatgrinder posted:

The schadenfreude is the guy in the video, right? A retarded douche trying to appear cool or relatable or something by regurgitating the well known consensus on an obvious piece of poo poo, but framing it in some sort of contrived sthd.txt so it would seem like he came up with that, all the while cramming the word "like" into his sentences as much as he can.

The 100 views really makes it.

To be honest I just put horrible keywords into youtube. I'm sure it's a lovely video lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

https://twitter.com/rmj_equals_hero/status/887328459105722368