Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

To do that here we'd have to rise up in violent revolt. And it's cold out so.....eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

To do that here we'd have to rise up in violent revolt. And it's cold out so.....eh.

didn't work last time

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

All y'allstd've know that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ignimbrite posted:

The governor general (the queen's representative in Australia) that is, then he decided to put the leader of the opposition party in the caretaker prime-minister role until the next election was called

It was an absolute shitstorm but did lead to one of the best soundclips in Australian political history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJD0nSxN94

One thing I admire about Australians is how quickly and effortlessly you seem to throw people out of your government. I'm a bit envious.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Rough Lobster posted:

One thing I admire about Australians is how quickly and effortlessly you seem to throw people out of your government. I'm a bit envious.

Gough Whitlam being one of the few who shouldn't have gone, unfortunately

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Carter was a great president and a good guy, but the shutdowns for him were mostly abortion related.

Used to be that funds could only be used for abortion in case of danger to the mother, and they wanted to change it to rape/incest/death of the mother.

The other one was a spending bill that had a nuclear powered carrier that was something he didn't want, and misc pork in the bill that needed to be cut out.

But yea, the others were basically just abortion regs.

Edit - A shutdown isn't ALWAYS political. Once under Reagan they just forgot to pass a bill, and the democrats were at a fundraiser and the republicans were at a bbq at the white house that Reagan was throwing. poo poo's weird, yo.

Were the Democrats in the 70s anti-abortion? Or were they pro-abortion and Carter was the holdout conservative? My knowledge of American politics in this era is mostly of Republican adventurism

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chem profs at the university i went to would make hydrogen bubbles and explode them to wake up the freshmen

you've heard of the university i went to

A couple pages back, but I can guess the chem department! It's every chem department. "Blowing poo poo up to get your attention" is literally Chemistry 101. Hydrogen bubbles, 2:1 hydrogen/oxygen mix balloons, thermite charges, alkali metal reactions, nitrogen trash can rockets, and on and on. If there's a concept in chemistry, we can come up with a demo to blow stuff up with it.

Respectively: combustion, stoichiometry, redox reactions, redox reactions again, gas laws

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Gough Whitlam being one of the few who shouldn't have gone, unfortunately

Were the Democrats in the 70s anti-abortion? Or were they pro-abortion and Carter was the holdout conservative? My knowledge of American politics in this era is mostly of Republican adventurism

Carter was raised Southern Baptist and it was the 1970s. Today, he is fine with abortion, but only other certain conditions - rape, incest, health of the mother, that range. He was probably even more iffy on it then.

Even though by southern standards, he was pretty liberal in that era, Carter's views have evolved on a variety of topics since then. Today, he's an extremely nice dude, supportive of gay marriage and had to be hospitalized last year because he was working too hard at a Habitat for Humanity site.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

Because only people with handicap placards use handicap spaces right? And there are never, never more handicapped patrons than there are spaces? The less spaces available, the more likely people will illegally park, which just further screws over people with disabilities.

Though you did give me a clever compromise as a solution- instead of eliminating parking, just convert more of it to handicapped-only and jack up the fines for illegally parking there.

handicapped parking in the us is determined at the federal level by the ADA. it has a table which dictates out of available parking, how much must be set aside for handicap accessibility

minimum parking requirements are not subject to federal oversight. they are determined on a state or more commonly local level, typically as part of the zoning code. the most common thing is something like "this commercial zone C-1 must have X number of spaces for every Y internal square feet of business area etc. etc. etc." it gets more complicated but that's the gist

minimum parking requirements are typically based on the institute of transportation engineers periodic publication, parking generation

http://ecommerce.ite.org/IMIS/ItemDetail?iProductCode=IR-034C

the data used to determine, for example, how much parking a fast food restaurant of X size needs is pretty shady - typically the data collection goes like, we sat outside the wendys down the street for a few days and counted how many cars came in and out of the lot and constructed a graph over time of vehicle traffic. keep in mind that this data is used nationally by thousands of different planning organizations to set their standards, many of whom don't do their own studies to determine local feasibility, they just adopt the ITE standards without modification

to be fair to ITE, they do say their data is not reflective of national parking requirements, but, well, due to a bunch of other factors i won't get into (single use zoning, exclusionary zoning) american urban planners on a local level have a real hard on for ignoring the problems of urban development by just taking on the assumption that people can, should, and must drive everywhere in a privately owned automobile

anyway this minimum parking fetish is in effect a stealth subsidy for automotive traffic, causing the conditions for massive overprovision of parking to meet peak demand instead of average demand. which means that the typical parking space in america remains empty most of the time, doing nothing except wasting space. it also ensures that most freestanding buildings in america are partially or wholly separated from each other by a thick belt of parking and this is the number one major reason most of america looks like this nowadays

consider how much easier it would be for disabled people to navigate the built environment if mass transit were more feasible due to higher average density. i mean, with that many parking lots, even abled people are not able to navigate this environment on foot, using an automobile is the de facto mandated method of transportation instead of an option

the real schadenfreude here is how many americans refuse to admit this is probably a bad way to build cities and that requiring people to drive to do everything kind of sucks if you're poor, disabled, too old or young to drive, etc.

this is also why prices are rising so quickly in american cities, they're one of the few places where you don't have to have a car, which is something more and more millenials value in their built environment (turns out human-scale urban environments are more attractive and popular) and so there's a vicious bidding war while poorer people are gentrified to decaying suburbs where you're even more hosed if you can't afford a car

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
What's more, when you try to fight it and get rid of parking, or at least start charging for it, install bike lanes, improve the city grid, anything at all that might have a benefit to public welfare, influential businesses just bribe the local authorities and they override all your plans :v:

I used to enjoy my job, now I loving hate it and just want to blow my brains out on a certain megacorp's front lawn. There's no justice in this country and my skills aren't applicable abroad. The schadenfreude's on me for becoming an engineer instead of just living my dream of dying in a ditch at age 15.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Cichlidae posted:

What's more, when you try to fight it and get rid of parking, or at least start charging for it, install bike lanes, improve the city grid, anything at all that might have a benefit to public welfare, influential businesses just bribe the local authorities and they override all your plans :v:

I used to enjoy my job, now I loving hate it and just want to blow my brains out on a certain megacorp's front lawn. There's no justice in this country and my skills aren't applicable abroad. The schadenfreude's on me for becoming an engineer instead of just living my dream of dying in a ditch at age 15.

Become a ditch digger, and make your dream possible for the next generation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Why was Carter given so much strife by a Democrat majority? I thought he was one of the few "hey let's try at least a little to not make America look like a rat infested hell hole" presidents

It's why I didn't think Bernie would be able to do anything and would make the Dems look even worse in power. Well-meaning presidents get hosed by their own party.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

^^^^ this is also true

Carter's a pretty cool guy but he was an outsider who sucked at leading

A Millen Buckaroo
Oct 6, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Isn't kiwifarms that MRA/Nazi shithole doxx site that usually does concern trolling?

Just noticed this has made it to this thread. I hadn't heard of the site before 2 days ago and it's definitely not ideal, but I guess you can't always choose your allies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

U-DO Burger posted:

Carter's a pretty cool guy but he was an outsider who sucked at leading

Carter did a bunch of gormless things but he deregulated trucking, deregulated the airlines, and legalized homebrewing. We've had far shittier Presidents.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Carter did a bunch of gormless things but he deregulated trucking, deregulated the airlines, and legalized homebrewing. We've had far shittier Presidents.

Yeah don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying he's the worst President ever. Just that, as cool as the guy is, he eschewed political schmoozing and it had a real impact on his ability to control things and get things done. He was too pure for us.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A Millen Buckaroo posted:

Just noticed this has made it to this thread. I hadn't heard of the site before 2 days ago and it's definitely not ideal, but I guess you can't always choose your allies.

Juggalos are hardcore anti-Nazis; they're an important part of Punching All Nazis in this new world of ours.

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Juggalos are hardcore anti-Nazis; they're an important part of Punching All Nazis in this new world of ours.

explains all the juggalo infighting

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cichlidae posted:

You and me both, buddy!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Imagine being enough of a self obsessed shithead that you think a picture of you making a kissy face is fair exchange for hundreds of dollars worth of goods and services.

You’re not going to be super happy when you discover modeling, or maybe even acting.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Pick posted:

It's why I didn't think Bernie would be able to do anything and would make the Dems look even worse in power. Well-meaning presidents get hosed by their own party.

Democrats are professional jobbers. They're there to lose.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

Democrats are professional jobbers. They're there to lose.

He says, without a shred of self awareness, as the government lies shut down on the anniversary of a colossal failures inauguration.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

boner confessor posted:

the real schadenfreude here is how many americans refuse to admit this is probably a bad way to build cities and that requiring people to drive to do everything kind of sucks if you're poor, disabled, too old or young to drive, etc.

They'll readily admit it but most Americans want poor people to suffer as much as possible, even if they're poor themselves.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cichlidae posted:

yeah i spent a year as a Planner I for the county and after seeing that years of work and studies and everything could be thrown out the window the moment it was inconvenient for developers i decided urban planning in the united states is a waste of time. i wasn't passionate enough to compete for the few jobs available in localities that give a poo poo about planning, i'm not cynical enough to spend a career rubber stamping zoning maps and holding show charrettes, so i decided to go into computers instead

Jerry Cotton posted:

They'll readily admit it but most Americans want poor people to suffer as much as possible, even if they're poor themselves.

in my experience americans treat the possibility of not having to drive everywhere the same as they treat single payer healthcare. despite every other nation figuring out how to do it it just can't work here

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's no such thing as a poor American, they're all just temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
There was a Woman's march going by where I live. Parking was restrictive and a bunch of people parked at a nearby supermarket that has a very actively enforced one hour parking rule.

I saw the tow guy and asked if he called in reinforcements. He laughed. He had.

Walking out of the store I saw multiple cars being towed. A woman says to the tow guy "There isn't anywhere else to park!" He laughs. He laughs hard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BovineFury posted:

There was a Woman's march going by where I live. Parking was restrictive and a bunch of people parked at a nearby supermarket that has a very actively enforced one hour parking rule.

Walking out of the store I saw multiple cars being towed. A woman says to the tow guy "There isn't anywhere else to park!" He laughs. He laughs hard.

See, in a real city, a march by definition does not require parking.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Enos Cabell posted:

He says, without a shred of self awareness, as the government lies shut down on the anniversary of a colossal failures inauguration.

I mean, you arent wrong, but its worth mentioning that its still a Republican controlled government, and the colossal failure beat the Democrat in the election, so I do take his general point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BovineFury posted:

When I used to work retail we had a parking lot near downtown Chicago. It was customer parking only, but we wouldn't be too big of dicks about it usually. But for every Taste of Chicago we'd have the tow company that was contracted with us waiting for when we closed to tow every single car left over in that parking lot. We used to love the Taste because after that weekend the tow company would always buy our entire branch a catered lunch and dinner.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

When I used to work retail we had a parking lot near downtown Chicago. It was customer parking only, but we wouldn't be too big of dicks about it usually. But for every Taste of Chicago we'd have the tow company that was contracted with us waiting for when we closed to tow every single car left over in that parking lot. We used to love the Taste because after that weekend the tow company would always buy our entire branch a catered lunch and dinner.

Doesnt Chicago have decent public transit? Last time I was there I just took the L everywhere and I cant remember having too many issues but this was a decade ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don Gato posted:

Doesnt Chicago have decent public transit? Last time I was there I just took the L everywhere and I cant remember having too many issues but this was a decade ago.

Yes, in fact they'd park by us and then take the bus to The Taste. My guess it was just a bunch of people from further than the burbs that thought they found an amazing free parking spot. Same thing would happen during the marathon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I know a guy who manages a bottle shop next to a cinema and they have 1hr parking. It's not normally an issue, but at Christmas they hire a tow company and people who park at the bottle shop and go into a movie get their cars marked and the timer starts. 61 minutes later, their cars are gone. There's a ton of parking at a train station like 200m away, with no restrictions on the weekends or at night, just go park there you lazy shits.

The bottle shop's daily take goes from 18-20k during mid-November and just steadily rises to 80-100k just before Christmas. We're a nation of festive boozers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

I know a guy who manages a bottle shop next to a cinema and they have 1hr parking. It's not normally an issue, but at Christmas they hire a tow company and people who park at the bottle shop and go into a movie get their cars marked and the timer starts. 61 minutes later, their cars are gone. There's a ton of parking at a train station like 200m away, with no restrictions on the weekends or at night, just go park there you lazy shits.

The bottle shop's daily take goes from 18-20k during mid-November and just steadily rises to 80-100k just before Christmas. We're a nation of festive boozers.

I live near the railway station and the neighbour who lives in the apartment closest to the parking lot got tired of people leaving their bicycles in front of her veranda so she started padlocking them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BovineFury posted:

Requiring really convenient parking for a march sounds to me a little like the people who get mad when they have to park all the way at the back of the parking lot at the gym

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Eh, part of doing something like a March is accepting that it might be personally inconvenient to you, and doing it anyway because you think the message is important. People got blasted with fire hoses and then thrown in jail during the civil rights movements, getting a car towed is pretty mild.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

canyoneer posted:

Requiring really convenient parking for a march sounds to me a little like the people who get mad when they have to park all the way at the back of the parking lot at the gym

It's downtown and there are buses and light rail. They could have parked at a light rail station and gone a couple blocks. :colbert:

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://giant.gfycat.com/RectangularScratchyEeve.webm

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Memento posted:

Bottle shop. Quaint that is.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Death Race pilots always have trouble adjusting to a regular life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Road kill laws say that you can take home what you find as long as you're not the one that hit the animal, or something along those lines, I think?
That applies here, right?