Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrimeNerd posted:

Is he really implying he’s writing off 11K$ in JPEGS from his federal taxes? May God have mercy on the soul of whatever IRS agent has to process that.

I can’t wait for the tax man to audit his .JPEGs.

“Ah, so you think $225 for a picture of a space tank that you might one day get to drive in an unfinished space MMO for five minutes before it PAAARRRPPSS into the ground is a tax writeoff?”

“I’m a content creator and this space Tank is incredibl-“

“PAAAAAAARRRRPPPPP”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I once spent like 5k to build a rad simpit for simracing (hardware + software + building the simpit). I tend to not disclose this figure if no other gamers are around, and even then I feel stupid for doing so. I sit in this stupid simpit for - I guess - about six to ten hours a week (racing, elite dangerous) and would sit in there even more if I'd had the time.

Still, I try to hide that thing from most people because they can't understand why I spend my money on this poo poo.

I built this thing two and a half years ago, and it is still rad, and I see no need to upgrade apart from maybe going to a vive pro (which is - if I understand it correctly - the price of two SC tanks)

Imagine spending three times of that on a non-game, where you can't use 75% of the poo poo you bought, and then boasting about it on twitter.....

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

tuo posted:

I once spent like 5k to build a rad simpit for simracing (hardware + software + building the simpit). I tend to not disclose this figure if no other gamers are around, and even then I feel stupid for doing so. I sit in this stupid simpit for - I guess - about six to ten hours a week (racing, elite dangerous) and would sit in there even more if I'd had the time.

Still, I try to hide that thing from most people because they can't understand why I spend my money on this poo poo.

I built this thing two and a half years ago, and it is still rad, and I see no need to upgrade apart from maybe going to a vive pro (which is - if I understand it correctly - the price of two SC tanks)

Imagine spending three times of that on a non-game, where you can't use 75% of the poo poo you bought, and then boasting about it on twitter.....

I think we all remember the time/money/energy triangle for home projects. For star citizen you would have to add a fourth dimension which somehow results in failure even if you invest a lot of time, money and energy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Every time I learn a little more about Clifford I want to know even less.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
He spent more on videogames in one year than I did on all living and leisure expenses combined. :gonk:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm just picking through this thread, and I love all the people claiming Crytek/Skadden lied in the filing, usually in reference to the exclusivity or two games. Yes, Skadden, one of the most respected law firms in the world, is going to lie in a court filing. Ok, man, sure.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PrimeNerd posted:

Is he really implying he’s writing off 11K$ in JPEGS from his federal taxes? May God have mercy on the soul of whatever IRS agent has to process that.

That's what he appears to be saying. Except that he can't write off any of that poo poo unless he is involved in the video game business, giving to charity etc.

I can't wait until his rear end gets audited at some point.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

I'm just picking through this thread, and I love all the people claiming Crytek/Skadden lied in the filing, usually in reference to the exclusivity or two games. Yes, Skadden, one of the most respected law firms in the world, is going to lie in a court filing. Ok, man, sure.

Yeah. But I think my all time best was them accusing Skadden of CONCEALING the GLA in order to deceive the court. :laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Clifford seem like a real nice affable guy. He doesn't come across like a miserable person as many of the shitizens do. I hope only the best for him. The guy worries me, though. He's the friend you genuinely like, but you regularly side eye, because he's the weird friend.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He spent more on Star Citizen in a year than I make in an entire year :psyboom:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Is this bargaining or anger?

The idea that the backer's righteous fury will smite Skadden with more money than they can digest like Goku blowing up an energy sucking badguy by powering up really hard is pretty funny.

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016

D_Smart posted:

That's what he appears to be saying. Except that he can't write off any of that poo poo unless he is involved in the video game business, giving to charity etc.

I'm still trying to figure out what his eventual space lawyer would say in tax court if he really does try to write it off.

"Your honor, It was totally a cult. I submit Stimpier.txt as Exhibit A"

"Your honor, They were charitable contributions distributed to the mentally unwell!"

"Your honor, My client was temporarily insane for a half decade!"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Clifford seem like a real nice affable guy. He doesn't come across like a miserable person as many of the shitizens do. I hope only the best for him. The guy worries me, though. He's the friend you genuinely like, but you regularly side eye, because he's the weird friend.

Yeah, the other guys like Bunnyman, Greasy Knock-Off Han Solo, Toiletking, Sir CPAP, and Clingfilm Terminator you know will do nothing but whine and make meek threats from their parent's basement once this goes tits up. But Miku, that guy will keep smiling his affable smile and look at you with his puppy eyes while he carves you up like a christmas turkey.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Now edit the scene from Robin Hood: Men in Tights where the abbot has Roberts' face, and he walks by dancey cat saying "Derek Smart!". Crobbles stops and says "I hate that guy!"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
If you've had your account hacked - how long did it take for CIG to recover it?

reddit posted:

I reported mine hacked on the 1st of January. It's been 20 days - I sent an email a week ago asking if there was an update but got no reply.
I supplied CIG with my info, drivers license and even my Star Citizen account card which I got way back when during the Kickstarter I think.
I'm sure it'll get sorted, but its certainly taking a little longer than I thought it might.

All ships gifted away?

reddit posted:

So two weeks ago I got an email that I gifted all my ships away. I hadnt touched that account for over half a year minimum, but I contacted support immediatly. However I still am waiting for a response, so my question is what to do. I for sure won't be playing this game if I don't get then back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7rxo69/hey_there_noob_here_backed_the_game_like_a/

reddit posted:

I don't follow it. I just notice the "lol SC" memes about how it's never going to release.
Could someone spend half a minute and tell me the current state of the game? What's the mechanics, what mechanics are still being implemented or planned, what gameplay is there? What's the current estimate of a release, and how many features are actually going to to see that release?
Thanks in advance!

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 21, 2018

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The conclusion to this saga is so apparent that FYAD is gonna start asking us to call it :grin:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That dude Wulf, from back in the day, used to display very similar characteristics. His march towards a completionist package was an event for which he was very vocal, in the sense of mentioning it multiple times per hour per day in the old chat system. He laid a claim that telling people how much he had spent would encourage others to do the same and that he had a pride in having spent some of the most among backers. The repeated boasts would invariably draw a great deal of reaction from participants, especially when seasoned with insistence that he was wont to gift things he didn't need to persons who had little.

I'm sure the implications and drive of these performances are evident on their own without some kind of hamfisted breakdown on my part. It's an extremely weird hobby and a singularly unsettling means of attempting to derive satisfaction.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Though in his defense he did donate something little to someone who had no need.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

PrimeNerd posted:

"Your honor, My client was temporarily insane for a half decade!"

"To clarify your honor, my client is still in that half decade"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tuo posted:

I saw this post before I double checked who posted it.

Here's my surprised face:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Soderling180/status/954957318860423173

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

That dude Wulf, from back in the day, used to display very similar characteristics. His march towards a completionist package was an event for which he was very vocal, in the sense of mentioning it multiple times per hour per day in the old chat system. He laid a claim that telling people how much he had spent would encourage others to do the same and that he had a pride in having spent some of the most among backers. The repeated boasts would invariably draw a great deal of reaction from participants, especially when seasoned with insistence that he was wont to gift things he didn't need to persons who had little.

I'm sure the implications and drive of these performances are evident on their own without some kind of hamfisted breakdown on my part. It's an extremely weird hobby and a singularly unsettling means of attempting to derive satisfaction.

On its own this would've merely been hilarious, but I'd say it was far more unsettling that he derived satisfaction from gifting said ships to the few :females: (married or otherwise) within the community, including one that proved to have catfished him for around 1k. I am sure this tendency of his had nothing to do with his marriage being in tatters and him having undergone things like electroshock therapy, all by his own admission on reddit.

It does make me wonder just how many of these proud commandos have stories like this or like that other guy whose wife divorced him and took the kids specifically due to him emptying the bank account for Star Citizen.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 21, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"But my walls are still made of FRP, so yep, priorities are still hosed"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://youtu.be/aQNueDa6QKw?t=2879
Question: 'What do you think about 50 million dollars?'
Will: 'The way that I see it is we have things we wanna do with this game. What you're doing by pledging money is allowing it to happen in 2014 or 2015 rather than 2017, 2018. Umm and so the way that I see it is if you really like this game and you want to see it be fleshed out as quickly as possible and you want us to be able to do more stuff with it umm y'know in 2017, 2018 then y'know keep on pledging.'

Star Citizen: Keep on pledging
:laugh:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
My internet died and i'm 1265 posts behind,everyone stop posting for like..... 3 weeks at least,thanks.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D_Smart posted:

He probably claims them as business expenses for his Video Game Content business.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

I also have that Homeworld mothership statue, but before seeing this pic it never made me feel ashamed of myself.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

BluesShaman posted:

Ditto. But I would do 2c-b again if I had the chance. It has the crazy visuals of acid, and the positive mood push of ecstasy. And it's nearly impossible to have a bad trip.

Alexander Shulgin, the guy who created it (and half the known hallucinogens [and popularized ecstasy]), said it's the most perfect hallucinogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2C-B

Godspeed Sasha Shulgin you beautiful genius

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

AP posted:

Or moma is just a Citizen, doesn't work there and making a reference that will bring up the boring Toast thing allows him a few minutes freedom from the pain of considering his fleet investment.

Of all the boringnesses of MoMA's posts, the endless "I don't work there! I'm not a backer! But I have sekrit information I legally can't discuss, tee hee!" is the most profoundly boring.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

looks like a double reverse inverse troll to me

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Only gifts to actual charities are relevant to taxes. Even if his main income comes from game design, he could only claim the base package cost as a business expense, not the cost of the DLC, since that isn't necessary for evaluating competitors' games.

Although he is a very silly and delusional man, my guess is that he is just bragging and isn't actually going to try to deduct any of that.

Hope his wife files separately in any case :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

US tax reporting is silly and dumb. :D

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He spent more on Star Citizen in a year than I make in an entire year :psyboom:

Rough.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How long does the California system usually take to respond to an application for strike out? i.e. when do we think we'll we hear their response to CIG's application?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

El Grillo posted:

How long does the California system usually take to respond to an application for strike out? i.e. when do we think we'll we hear their response to CIG's application?

This is Federal court, but it will not be affected by the government shutdown until sometime in
February.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Tophat posted:

I once saw a dude in a Star Citizen hoodie, he was extremely goony and he made me laugh simply by existing and wearing a hoodie that was revealed in between vape clouds

That's my story, god bless

Turn on your monitor.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mr.Tophat posted:

I once saw a dude in a Star Citizen hoodie, he was extremely goony and he made me laugh simply by existing and wearing a hoodie that was revealed in between vape clouds

That's my story, god bless

was he t-posing?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjTU0yKS00

Thought I would go ahead and add a few more years of mocap to the project.

You're welcome, Christo.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Lladre posted:

Turn on your monitor.

I don't vape, but nice rote reaction.

Fargin Icehole posted:

was he t-posing?

That would require posture, this fellow had none, it was like a precarious and eroded cliff face ready to crumble at any moment. You know those people are a bit portly but they can't help but balance everything on their front feet, especially because they have lovely footwear? Like a constant lean? Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iospace posted:

I saw this post before I double checked who posted it.

Here's my surprised face:

?