Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SaltyJesus posted:

lol the Kosovo albanians on all political levels (mayor, head of parliament) have been saying they won't stop before they reach Niš and, in one notable case, that Niš is a necessary part of Greater Albania

this isn't what our state propaganda is relaying, it's pretty much a direct quote of what some of them have been saying recently

Which is silly since everybody knows that Niš is Bulgarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Am I supposed to be taking this seriously?

Pentagon Document Reveals Existence of Russian Doomsday Torpedo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

IDK but nuclear torpedos are certainly a thing that really exists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_torpedo

I guess one that big could be possible. A smaller one could certainly make a big wave that would cause massive damage to a coastal port or city.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

It's believable, and not the first time Kanyon has come up in the news. As mentioned in the link spacetoaster gave, the Soviet Union pursued a similar weapon in the 1950s. Their first nuclear-powered submarine was initially intended to carry it, before being redesigned with a conventional torpedo room after the weapon was cancelled.

If you're questioning the yield, the Tsar Bomba, detonated in 1961, was 7 feet in diameter and would have had a yield around 100 Mt if it had used a Uranium tamper.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

....They wouldn't actually need or want to use it though, right?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
No, if that exists it's a further component of a nuclear deterrent. It's there to say "look, in a nuclear war some of our weapons would get through and you couldn't win".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SaltyJesus posted:

lol the Kosovo albanians on all political levels (mayor, head of parliament) have been saying they won't stop before they reach Niš and, in one notable case, that Niš is a necessary part of Greater Albania

this isn't what our state propaganda is relaying, it's pretty much a direct quote of what some of them have been saying recently

Yeah sometimes he casually drops some mildly worrying stuff. Hence my ongoing nudging efforts.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
alternative option: you could encourage him, the boy might have a bright career in front of him
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/01/isis-america-hoxha/550508/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Russia bars 'extremist' British comedy The Death of Stalin
They couldn't get better marketing than this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like Lukashenko has cancelled "laziness" law that had lead to protests at the time of signing.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Russia bars 'extremist' British comedy The Death of Stalin
They couldn't get better marketing than this.

"We don't have censorship". *Bans film containing mocking portrayal of dictator*.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 27, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks like Lukashenko has cancelled "laziness" law that had lead to protests at the time of signing.

He's issued another decree that will make people pay full prices for public transport, utilities, etc. if they don't officially work for long enough.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Aaaand Zeman is still in.

gently caress.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
I think it is because it has a negative portrayal of zhukov, who is now the stand-in for stalin with respect to the great patriotic war

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Interestingly, Poklonskaya defended the movie, but only because she was still salty about Matilda and didn't want special treatment for Stalin.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

HorrificExistence posted:

I think it is because it has a negative portrayal of zhukov, who is now the stand-in for stalin with respect to the great patriotic war

I read the comic this is based on and Zhukov definitely was not negatively portrayed. Dude just wanted Stalin's rear end in a top hat son brought to justice and a bunch of innocent Red Army guys released from the gulags. He even gets rid of Beria.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Xarn posted:

Aaaand Zeman is still in.

gently caress.

Kinda wonder what western media makes of it all. Much as I dislike his manners, calling him a far-right leader as say guardian does seems a bit inaccurate. He was a social democratic PM after all; and even now he's a populist sure, but economically he's a leftist.

To be fair that's a bit like Putin, who I'd definitely say is on the right, but dunno.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

but economically he's a leftist.
How? His whole term was spent shilling for international corporations of his buddies.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

anilEhilated posted:

How? His whole term was spent in service of international corporations.

Which is true of vast majority of social-democratic leftists, so I don't see your point? He's expanded benefits and the social safety net in general, and isn't supportive of market privatisation. Quite unlike the majority of Zemans opponents who, as I'm sure you'd admit if you are Czech, hail primarily from ODS (conservative party who were one of the few parties to ally with British Tories in the EU parliament) and KDU-ČSL/TOP09 (centre-right christian democrats). Parties whose government followed that of the social democrats, and introduced (until it was later cancelled) workfare, large-scale privatisation, benefit cuts, tuition fees, prescription fees and ER fees.

Also nobody I've ever met in Czech Republic really gives a gently caress about Russia, at least in the pro-Russian sense. The idea that supporting Russia helps him (besides getting funding from them) is about as valid as saying that Trump is helped by supporting Russia. It's a benefit among a few fringe voter groups at best.

e: In a foreign country popularity survey by the Czech agency for survey of public opinion only 20% of people viewed Russia favourably (5% very favourably), placing them alongside Middle East and China. In comparison e.g. the UK had been looked upon favourably by 65% of people.

I voted against him, but he's not economically on the right by any means.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 27, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the thing is Czech social democrats aren't exactly leftist either - the pro-Zeman clique (which just got an enormous boost, obviously - Chovanec was at Zeman's election place and he looked like the sun was shining out of his rear end in a top hat) is all about cooperating with Babiš's cult (again, that's as far from the Left as you can get) and rousing more nationalism (up to and including negotiations with SPD). I'm not sure when your data comes from, though; the ODS/CSSD dichotomy sounds like late nineties. Currently, what's probably the last genuine lefties in the country are at the moment busy being kicked out from what remains of the Green Party and will have to start rebuilding from nothing.

I think it would be mistake to associate Zeman with the social steps the last socdem government took - he did his damned best to distance himself from it and even went as far as trying to destroy it from within (remember the Lany coup?). Besides, Zeman as President did gently caress all for the poor or socially precarized; on the contrary, a lot of his campaign money comes from people connected with the distraining business which is basically the bane of everything left-wing and his trading missions and statements all bear the uniting characteristic of "gently caress the little people".

tl;dr: right-wingers hating you does not make you a leftist, especially when you're relying on the support of alt-right.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, the thing is Czech social democrats aren't exactly leftist either - the pro-Zeman clique (which just got an enormous boost, obviously - Chovanec was at Zeman's election place and he looked like the sun was shining out of his rear end in a top hat) is all about cooperating with Babiš's cult (again, that's as far from the Left as you can get) and rousing more nationalism (up to and including negotiations with SPD). I'm not sure when your data comes from, though; the ODS/CSSD dichotomy sounds like late nineties. Currently, what's probably the last genuine lefties in the country are at the moment busy being kicked out from what remains of the Green Party and will have to start rebuilding from nothing.

I think it would be mistake to associate Zeman with the social steps the last socdem government took - he did his damned best to distance himself from it and even went as far as trying to destroy it from within (remember the Lany coup?). Besides, Zeman as President did gently caress all for the poor or socially precarized; on the contrary, a lot of his campaign money comes from people connected with the distraining business which is basically the bane of everything left-wing and his trading missions and statements all bear the uniting characteristic of "gently caress the little people".

tl;dr: right-wingers hating you does not make you a leftist, especially when you're relying on the support of alt-right.

It is true he had little love for the previous government, and his current support for Babis is rather concerning - though Babis is not economically far-right either. A kleptocrat sure, but some of his headline policies - better tax collection systems, more anti-corruption legislation (while he himself is being investigated for defrauding the EU, but eh), that kind of thing - aren't exactly right wing. If anything the biggest opposition to them had been from ODS for the predictable right-wing reasons. And while I don't doubt he will cut benefits some, roll back the pension reform, etc., I don't think he'll be as market liberal as ODS (who have gotten a significant boost in the last election, even if they were almost wiped out few years earlier) would be.

And as far as ODS/CSSD goes, I wouldn't call it limited to the 90s exactly, even as an exaggeration. For one they led the last two governments, and those governments have been respectively the most right-wing and left-wing in post-communist history. Sure the parties themselves might be diminished, but their ideas and voter alliances live on. The biggest disruption to it has been the rise of nominally-centrist (but actually market liberal) and populist parties, but they still align roughly along the old lines, with liberals economically on the center-right and populists on the center-left.

Sad as it is, with the exception of the last government/the shadow government before (and even then by the end with Chovanec) (though the Roma CSSD ads 2 elections ago really made me more hopeful for Czech politics, even if they then lost), xenophobia and racism had been more the province of the mainstream left than the mainstream right in Czech politics. I suspect that's at least in part because two-thirds of the country lives in the impoverished countryside, and being poor they tend to vote for people who promise them more funds (i.e. the left and populists), while by virtue of being somewhat insular countryside folks they also tend to be xenophobic and racist. And the other big left voter segment are the working poor, who are also rather less-than-enlightened when it comes to minorities and foreigners.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 28, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Private Speech posted:

Much as I dislike his manners, calling him a far-right leader as say guardian does seems a bit inaccurate.

I think calling him far-right is fairly accurate, as long as you remember that far right doesn't mean "capitalism but harder", but rather wanting protection from the Other.

He is buddy-buddy with Putin, jokes about shooting journalists, has strong anti-immigration rhetoric*, anti intellectualism... I think the label very much fits.

* I still cannot comprehend how things that the president cannot do anything about became talking points of presidential elections.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warbadger posted:

I read the comic this is based on and Zhukov definitely was not negatively portrayed. Dude just wanted Stalin's rear end in a top hat son brought to justice and a bunch of innocent Red Army guys released from the gulags. He even gets rid of Beria.

Yeah, in the film, he’s not perfect (little bit brutish, little bit compromised by the dictatorship he works for), but he’s far and away the most conventionally cool, badass character in the story. I mean, it’s kind of played for comedy, but in a ‘ha ha but no seriously, this dude is pretty awesome’ way.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Private Speech posted:

It is true he had little love for the previous government, and his current support for Babis is rather concerning - though Babis is not economically far-right either.

Not sure why being economically to the left means that you're a leftist or even left-leaning party; for example, the True Finns historically were center-left economically but were viewed as a right-wing nationalist party because their economic policies were geared for the 'right' people (sort of like Strasserism). The same can be said for Geert Wilder's Party for Freedom.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still think calling xenophobia and racism the province of mainstream left in Czech politics is completely wrong - primarily because there is no such thing as mainstream left in Czech politics. CSSD is divided on the issue, Communists (if you consider them left, which I honestly don't - they're more of a stalinist party) don't want anything to do with the EU by virtue of trying to deliver the country to Putin and that's it: ANO is definitely right-wing (their idea is to abuse the free market as opposed to abolishing it), ODS is is right-wing and xenophobic as all hell, SPD is pretty obvious alt-right and KDU will go with anything and anyone who will get them some power.

There is no left left in the Czech Republic and Zeman's presidential career was about as alt-right as you can get - nationalism, corporativism, acting against social policies.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Not sure why being economically to the left means that you're a leftist or even left-leaning party; for example, the True Finns historically were center-left economically but were viewed as a right-wing nationalist party because their economic policies were geared for the 'right' people (sort of like Strasserism). The same can be said for Geert Wilder's Party for Freedom.

Babis isn't against immigration or the EU either, at least by the standards of a country where literally 97% of people want to forbid refugees from settling permanently. His politics are hard to define, but generally people consider him close to Berlusconi, except a bit more to the left perhaps. And he doesn't support Russia.

Zeman is definitely against both though; they aren't from the same party or anything, even if they are allies. But then again Babis offered to ally with anyone from SPD (actual nativist far-right, somehow led by a Japanese national but hey it's their movement) to the KSČM; (literal stalinists).

E: On a broader note the attitude of left towards immigration, EU, and 'western imperialism' (scare quotes mandatory) is highly dependent on local voter opinion towards those things. E.g. Corbyn in the UK has been at very least very guarded when it comes to immigration policy (which is considerably more restrictive than in Czech Republic right now, for all the bluster) and the EU; and Melenchon in France had been very critical of the EU and repeatedly suggested that Eastern Europe was at fault for angering Russia, and that there should be a special conference to "settle border disputes and claims" in the Eastern Europe. Which is about as lovely western imperialism as you can get, ironically.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 28, 2018

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Feel good tweet of the day:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/957687554748375042
https://twitter.com/WDsHun1fqG3cfgZ/status/957667860964429825

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I had almost forgotten what an embarrassing sight Graham Phillips is, especially when he tries to "integrate" with the locals. He should consider himself fairly lucky that he got away just with a broken camera, considering what he yelled in the end (hard to make out without headphones).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 28, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:allears:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
lol what does the dumping coins on his head mean

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
finally a use for my pillow case filled with kopeeks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HorrificExistence posted:

lol what does the dumping coins on his head mean

They were supposed to be in sock but sock have holes :(

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
also does he have alopecia or something?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
another eastern europe country just elected an elderly right-wing statesman with a noticeably younger wife to second presidency term with over 60 % of the votes, with green candidate coming second and two different right-wingers (anti- and pro-russia) coming in 3rd and 4th

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so who is graham phillips exactly? Like, why is he famous enough to get yelled at?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Possibly genuinely mentally disturbed 'journalist' FSB asset. Pals around with separatist war criminals in Ukraine. His Russian wife is, as I recall, on the creepy as gently caress side of very young compared to him.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
uhh.-.. so FSB is literally paying his rent or what?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

lollontee posted:

uhh.-.. so FSB is literally paying his rent or what?

My favorite one was the time he reported on a prisoner transfer in Ukraine and spent a good portion of it harassing and verbally abusing the Ukrainian POWs.

Oh right, I forgot to mention that this was one of the times where they bused in people to throw stuff at the POWs while the "journalists" filmed from angles that made it look like a lot of people.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmm, inciting murder are we.