Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lived in Tokyo a decade and the winters are very nice T-shirt weather for me, but in the winter I’d usually get 5+ “aren’t you cold?” comments *every single day*. Even from people who knew me for years.

This is it right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Good opportunity for machismo, though. "Real men aren't cold in weather like this."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WarpedNaba posted:

Good opportunity for machismo, though. "Real men aren't cold in weather like this."

lmao what would happen if you said this?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
samurai duel

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WRONG.

That's like a bizzaro queso fundido with sushi. Unironically would eat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lived in Tokyo a decade and the winters are very nice T-shirt weather for me, but in the winter I’d usually get 5+ “aren’t you cold?” comments *every single day*. Even from people who knew me for years.

Same in China/Korea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao what would happen if you said this?

Foreigners are different, don't you know?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The China Megathread: Everything leads back to people being raised by their dumb-as-hell grandma

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
http://supchina.com/2018/01/18/caught-in-a-crossfire-chinese-students-abroad-and-the-battle-for-their-hearts/

quote:

She remembers biting her lip once when a Taiwanese classmate referred to Taiwan as a country. “It was in front of many Chinese students and no one stood up to defend,” she recalls with disappointment. “I should have [challenged her], but I was such a coward, so I didn’t.”

If you want to get sad, angry, annoyed, and a little disheartened, this rollercoaster of a long rear end article about Mainland university students going abroad and becoming face-tantrum-havers is the pro-click for you. This just made me angry more than anything else, but your mileage my vary.

Jeoh posted:

You drink half and half.
It's greases the joints, clears the lungs, is good for arthritis, helps hypertension, and makes the ankles full of qi.

Baronjutter posted:

Nice memory/callback.

Is this chinese cheese drink some sort of special chinese cream that's a little more cheese like, or have they just lost their minds and are calling anything from a cow thicker than skim milk "cheese" ?
It is just heavy whipping cream, sometimes with a little salt (which actually tastes fantastic depending on what it goes with). I have no idea who came up with calling it "cheese," but they all these franchise shops call it this now. I saw it all the time in China but now it really stands out because I am not in China and it's not just some Chinglish mistake.

Escape Addict posted:

Apparently this is a thing in Thailand now:

I think it might be a California roll covered in melted cheese on a skillet topped with ikura.
Any experience with this, Bajaj?

Another angle with cross-section:

I don't know what this is, but Japanese everything is everywhere in Thailand, and some of the recommended Instagram videos are by Thai foodie accounts that are just videos of someone dumping cheese on top of something. I saw one that was a grilled cheese sandwich then dipped in liquid cheese, then fried, then had cheese grated on top. Thais are getting fatter than they've ever been.

Jeoh posted:

I can't think of any dish covered in cheese I wouldn't eat, tbh
:agreed:

GoutPatrol posted:

no one calls that cheese in taiwan.
These tea franchises like Dakasi, Gong Cha, Coco, and others are all spread across Asia now. I figure there's no way a Mainland company would have been able to market a franchise properly outside of China, so I have to blame Taiwan. Google tells me that all three companies named above are from Taiwan.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can we finally see some photos of 70's japanese business men?

you dont have to show us your father just the ugly fashion

please?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i want the fat dog in a tank top...

:mad:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bajaj posted:

These tea franchises like Dakasi, Gong Cha, Coco, and others are all spread across Asia now. I figure there's no way a Mainland company would have been able to market a franchise properly outside of China, so I have to blame Taiwan. Google tells me that all three companies named above are from Taiwan.

They don't have the word cheese anywhere in their menus here. That is purely a Thai bullshitting thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GoutPatrol posted:

They don't have the word cheese anywhere in their menus here. That is purely a Thai bullshitting thing.

They're also called cheese tea in China.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

peanut posted:

Meanwhile, Japan thinks cheese cake is made with Camembert or even generic sliced cheese.

How about the no bake “real” cheese cake? Does that exist outside of Japan? I’ve never seen it in the US

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bajaj posted:

a grilled cheese sandwich then dipped in liquid cheese, then fried, then had cheese grated on top

directions, please.
and stop cockblocking the fat dog in a tank top. just take a one-off pic of it that won't match your instagram.

edit: not that I'm a tea drinker anyhow, but I would never be brave enough to order something called "cheese tea" in asia

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

How about the no bake “real” cheese cake? Does that exist outside of Japan? I’ve never seen it in the US

It's cream cheese with gelatin instead of eggs. The US has it too, probably Jello brand, but it's considered shameful to use it for anything other than a topping for a real dessert (or uhh more jello with canned fruit in it.)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i really enjoy seeing the asian exchange students at my Canadian university don arctic expedition jackets at 0C because that's about 30C warmer than it'll be in a few months

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Million Ghosts posted:

i really enjoy seeing the asian exchange students at my Canadian university don arctic expedition jackets at 0C because that's about 30C warmer than it'll be in a few months

are you at Waterloo or Queen's

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Imperialist Dog posted:

are you at Waterloo or Queen's

norther and more redneck, so instead of months i should have said hours

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Million Ghosts posted:

When I was in Bangkok the college placement agency next door to the school I worked at had a big poster up proudly advertising that they could place Thai kids at the University of Alberta.

I always felt bad for whoever ended up taking that chance, tbh. Imagine that transition.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a couple students who wear three coats when it's 5 C and are going to Minnesota for college. Gonna be hilarious.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

big time bisexual posted:

here's one way to improve the air quality numbers

(that's a monitoring station behind the willow trees)

this happened again but the trick doesn't work too well in the winter

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Pirate Radar posted:

When I was in Bangkok the college placement agency next door to the school I worked at had a big poster up proudly advertising that they could place Thai kids at the University of Alberta.

I always felt bad for whoever ended up taking that chance, tbh. Imagine that transition.

UofA is a great school but those poor fuckers are going to be frozen to the pavement come december

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This is a real horror of fusion food.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4_MFqxcxU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
sometimes you just gotta GO TEAM GO

https://my.mixtape.moe/ipvgab.mp4

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

and stop cockblocking the fat dog in a tank top. just take a one-off pic of it that won't match your instagram.
This will be my five-piece suit.

Don't dox me, plz.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a long voice chat with my old boss in Shenzhen. Her daughter is hating her middle school and how much homework she has, and my boss thinks it's dumb as hell that a young kid (like 12/13, I forgot her age) has no chance to be a kid, no chance to do or pursue hobbies, or have any chance in class to participate in something that enhances creativity. My old boss was an art major and painter in university, and that's how she got into her line of work. She loves all artistic talents and her daughter shares some of that. If her daughter is watching a how-to video Youku and wants to try, my old boss is immediately on Taobao buying the supplies. The kid is always doing something like crafts, painting, etc., at home in her spare time.

Anyway, they're all upset about the amount of homework and the low quality schooling, so my boss wants to pull her out of school when she finishes whatever it is called (junior high school?). I asked what the kid will do, and she said "I will send her to a painting school, or dance school, or music school, or whatever she wants. She'll keep learning English and doing what she likes. Then we'll try to find her a good husband and then I don't have to do anything else for her."

Since we are all friends with Chaoshan Girl (and how I met CG), I told her to send her to CG and learn Chaoshan language and get her as a go-between in the electronics market, but my boss friend said that language is harder than learning English for a Chinese person, and nobody wants to be around Chaoshan people anyway.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Bajaj posted:

I just had a long voice chat with my old boss in Shenzhen. Her daughter is hating her middle school and how much homework she has, and my boss thinks it's dumb as hell that a young kid (like 12/13, I forgot her age) has no chance to be a kid, no chance to do or pursue hobbies, or have any chance in class to participate in something that enhances creativity. My old boss was an art major and painter in university, and that's how she got into her line of work. She loves all artistic talents and her daughter shares some of that. If her daughter is watching a how-to video Youku and wants to try, my old boss is immediately on Taobao buying the supplies. The kid is always doing something like crafts, painting, etc., at home in her spare time.

Anyway, they're all upset about the amount of homework and the low quality schooling, so my boss wants to pull her out of school when she finishes whatever it is called (junior high school?). I asked what the kid will do, and she said "I will send her to a painting school, or dance school, or music school, or whatever she wants. She'll keep learning English and doing what she likes. Then we'll try to find her a good husband and then I don't have to do anything else for her."

Since we are all friends with Chaoshan Girl (and how I met CG), I told her to send her to CG and learn Chaoshan language and get her as a go-between in the electronics market, but my boss friend said that language is harder than learning English for a Chinese person, and nobody wants to be around Chaoshan people anyway.

Since she's in Shenzhen (?), tell her to become a liaison in the bicycle industry. Just translate between engineer from Europe and US and the Shenzhen bicycle factory of which there are many. Very laid back industry I would argue...

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
a woman crossing stopped traffic gets knocked out by a bus and then the light turns green... :stonk:

:nws: https://giant.gfycat.com/ScaredBlackBobwhite.mp4 :nws:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

gently caress. that might be the worst one yet

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Nah, the wild cement truck knocking over the streetlamp, which in turn crashes on the head of that motorcyclist and then the whole poo poo bursting into flames is the worst so far.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I say this one is worse because the cement truck incident is just this unbelievable cascade of events that you'd never be able to replicate if you tried, it's so unlikely it goes from tragedy to black comedy. The fates wanted that rider dead and nothing he did was going to let him escape.

This is some fucker being either criminally oblivious, or even worse so utterly callous that they didn't care there was a person's head in front of their tyre.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

This is some fucker being either criminally oblivious, or even worse so utterly callous that they didn't care there was a person's head in front of their tyre.

Both equally possible in the mainland. I'd give the edge to criminally oblivious but if not running someone's head over would add five seconds to the person's commute, well. Can't have that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The dashcam owner driving around the body and peacing out is the icing on the poo poo sundae.

Edit: At first I thought the green car was braking because the driver realised they'd run someone over but now I think it's just because there was something else in front of them, gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

The dashcam owner driving around the body and peacing out is the icing on the poo poo sundae.

That's the most predictable part of the whole thing. The only other option would be to gather around and stare for a while.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
at least the bus driver won't have to pay any hospital bills

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

I work at a cheese processing plant in America and we have some Chinese and Thai customers who want cheese that won't melt. Not even a little. The R&D team has been in the lab several times this month trying to fry up wontons with blocks of mozzarella in them that won't melt. We've also had a Chinese customer who wanted us to make processed cheese slices for sandwiches that won't melt at all. What's up with that? They don't want melty goodness? I mean keeping integrity for sandwiches is a little understandable, but not melting at all?

Also, R&D is trying to make slice-able cream cheese. What the hell would you need that for? Not sure if that's for Chinese customers or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't melt the cheese, doobs.

This is a China.

• Locked thread