Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The guys you don't want on large mounts are the ones who are vulnerable to shooting. Volkmar will do fine but a wizard or assassin type one a large mount can get killed real fast with a big hit box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Arglebargle III posted:

I swear to god this is only four turns later than my last campaign map picture.

I mostly only ever post about this but the first thing I do when I have control of Durthu either by starting with him or by confederating with him later, is send him northwards and just tear down Norsca. I might send someone else to help at some point maybe once Archaon turns up with his buddies, but the OId World prospers while the northern realm turns leafy green and everyone just hands me amber cause no on likes the Norse. I'll probably do the same with Khalida to the Vampire Count territories when I do a Khemri ME run.

Still tossing up which LL to be for a Vortex run, though oddly Arkhan's hat speaks to me on dangerous levels.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Early Access footage of Tomb Kings fighting Araby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRJh0q-kSs

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Early Access footage of Tomb Kings fighting Araby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRJh0q-kSs

Goddammit this had me going for a second.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of mounts, I'm looking forward to trying Khatep. A LL artillery piece/caster lord sounds fun.

fanman
Mar 1, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovv7wNVgFaM&t=9s

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Is there a known issue with co-op campaign? Been trying this with a friend today and we can't get past turn 1. Game always hangs up when AI "Clan Karond" in vortex campaign or Marienburg in Mortal Empires tries to play :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gonkish posted:

I just wish I could figure out why the campaign map runs like absolute rear end for me. My RX480 handled the first game without issue, but even with lower settings the campaign map peaks at about 45fps, with the Vortex on screen dropping that into the 20s.

It's frustrating because battles run beautifully, but the campaign map is a sluggish, stuttering mess that just feels like poo poo. It's playable, but it's annoying.

DX11 fixes most problems

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I have a feeling they are going to lower the costs of Tomb King buildings. Watching a guy late into a Khatep run and he still doesn't have any tier 5 units, and barely has any tier 4 units. Spending 10000 gold for one unit ever between all of your armies is way more expensive than it seems, even if you can rebuild that unit instantly if it dies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If they don't make Surtha Ek a legendary lord I don't know what. He's the real antagonist of the series.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I have a feeling they are going to lower the costs of Tomb King buildings. Watching a guy late into a Khatep run and he still doesn't have any tier 5 units, and barely has any tier 4 units. Spending 10000 gold for one unit ever between all of your armies is way more expensive than it seems, even if you can rebuild that unit instantly if it dies.

Who is actually that far into a campaign? The furthest along that I've seen anyone at is around turn 80 or 90.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also I find it very funny that Tree Kin can't hide in woods.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

If they don't make Surtha Ek a legendary lord I don't know what. He's the real antagonist of the series.

:eyepop:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, in the Norsca DLC they did give him the unique thing of being in a chariot by default.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also I find it very funny that Tree Kin can't hide in woods.

I could have sworn they could, and also that Treemen were the only giant unit that could hide in woods.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JBP posted:

There is something incredibly cold about having mortars and rockets bombarding a city while your army and general stand there waiting for their ammo the run dry before sending up towers and a battering ram.

E: to the provinces! *kills thousands of brettonian peasants with ordnance*
Didn't TWW1 and later patch it so that fortress towers can shoot the length of the map?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Stephen9001 posted:

I could have sworn they could, and also that Treemen were the only giant unit that could hide in woods.

I was under the impression that Treemen hiding in the woods were the stealthiest a unit could get (that is, shortest range to detect) in twwh1

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The range to detect was incredibly short and it applied to Durthu. I managed to use him to ambush an empire army and he slaughtered them nearly unscathed.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So obvious, but the base drop with the laser eyes is :discourse:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ralepozozaxe posted:

They have a rite to lower construction costs by 25% and then you can have a tomb king sail around and get another 25% discount randomly off sea garbage, that doesn't seem so bad to me if you just save the rite for mass upgrades.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I hate playing as vampires because their economy is garbage and it takes forever to get interesting units or spells.

How am I going to feel about tomb kings? No upkeep and a better reason to build different buildings seems pretty cool but 100 turns of skeleton infantry seems less than ideal.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I hate playing as vampires because their economy is garbage and it takes forever to get interesting units or spells.

How am I going to feel about tomb kings? No upkeep and a better reason to build different buildings seems pretty cool but 100 turns of skeleton infantry seems less than ideal.

your garbage units being 100% expendable, and your special toys being That Good, should ease most of the pain

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

One should probably get a treasure hunting ship that can also raid coastal settlements and everything will likely be fine. I think utilizing one of your few armies for that would be more worthwhile in the long run than having one more offensive/defensive army of lower tier troops due to the significantly slower tech progression.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Judging from some LPs you can get cavalry and chariots pretty much from the very beginning (the respective buildings are T2 and T3, IIRC) , so you're not stuck with just garbage infantry forever. Also you'll get at least one unit of Ushabti in just about every major battle from their unique ability.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Zudgemud posted:

One should probably get a treasure hunting ship that can also raid coastal settlements and everything will likely be fine. I think utilizing one of your few armies for that would be more worthwhile in the long run than having one more offensive/defensive army of lower tier troops due to the significantly slower tech progression.

I really like the idea of a Black Ark type unit that specifically serves to zip around and hoover up treasure. Like something pretty weak in autoresolve but having little/no upkeep and basically meant to grab sea treasure and treasure hunt coastal ruins.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A throwaway lord with all the +campaign movement items you can find is what you're talking about. They cost, what, 300 upkeep and provide such wonderful things like 10000g, 5000g, upkeep reduction stuff.

It's almost stupid not to do this.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

jokes posted:

A throwaway lord with all the +campaign movement items you can find is what you're talking about. They cost, what, 300 upkeep and provide such wonderful things like 10000g, 5000g, upkeep reduction stuff.

The problem is the pesky 'extra lord' tax, which adds up later on. I wouldn't mind some minor faction to have the benefit of having a special type of 'lord' dedicated to grabbing up phat lewt that had 'immortality' baked in with no tax.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

jokes posted:

This depends heavily on what difficulty you are playing on, its not really viable on very hard/legendary.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
One thing I do really like about vampire counts is how Ghorst can move quickly enough to reach anywhere in eastern and western Sylvania within a single turn if he has an embedded specter. That guy can really move. It is nice to not be as reliant on walls.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kainser posted:

This depends heavily on what difficulty you are playing on, its not really viable on very hard/legendary.

I forget what the actual extra lord tax is, but if it's less than 25% then shooting for that 25% upkeep reduction for 5 turns is pretty appealing, especially when you get intermittent 10k and 5k boosts. I think if you're diligent about your travelin' boi you'll mostly maintain a 25% upkeep reduction.

I play exclusively on very hard and I always have a little world traveler. It's also good for scoping out factions that might wanna trade with you that you might otherwise not be able to see.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shumagorath posted:

Didn't TWW1 and later patch it so that fortress towers can shoot the length of the map?

They're often pathetic damage wise and shoot your men in the front line. I never said we didn't take casualties.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Higher level walls do get better towers which can be ruinous even if you're running straight for the walls.

If you're playing empire though theres no reason not to bring a cannon or two and just blow the tower up.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

One thing I do really like about vampire counts is how Ghorst can move quickly enough to reach anywhere in eastern and western Sylvania within a single turn if he has an embedded specter. That guy can really move. It is nice to not be as reliant on walls.

Ironically hes the slowest Lord in the game on his cart. :v:

Dude makes dwarves look like they're showing off.

Captain Mediocre posted:

It is absolutely always worthwhile to have a solo lord pooting around the sea for treasure, even on VH :confused:

They bring in an absolute fortune from treasure + trading partner discovery + factionwide buffs, there's not even any question about them costing more than they earn. When you end up with a large empire and 4-5 armies then you should have income sorted and by that point you can go ahead and disband them. I assumed everybody did this.

After you have a certain number of armies the upkeep makes it stop being worth it, but yeah. The Tomb Kings might be the reverse of that though, armies will be too limited to do that outside of late game most likely.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 21, 2018

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

It is absolutely always worthwhile to have a solo lord pooting around the sea for treasure, even on VH :confused:

They bring in an absolute fortune from treasure + trading partner discovery + factionwide buffs, there's not even any question about them costing more than they earn. When you end up with a large empire and 4-5 armies then you should have income sorted and by that point you can go ahead and disband them. I assumed everybody did this.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Eej posted:

DX11 fixes most problems

Except this one, unfortunately. DX11 or DX12, it doesn't matter, the campaign map runs like poo poo for me, and I'm not really sure why. The only thing DX12 does is make my load times take three to four times as long for no reason.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Ironically hes the slowest Lord in the game on his cart. :v:

Dude makes dwarves look like they're showing off.

He is built for the marathon, not the sprint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Carcer posted:

Higher level walls do get better towers which can be ruinous even if you're running straight for the walls.

If you're playing empire though theres no reason not to bring a cannon or two and just blow the tower up.

I generally charge the walls. I was standing and firing because it was my gimmick. Everything I do in the game revolves around whatever my gimmick is. I just had five mortar teams and flagellants basically.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

jokes posted:

I forget what the actual extra lord tax is, but if it's less than 25% then shooting for that 25% upkeep reduction for 5 turns is pretty appealing, especially when you get intermittent 10k and 5k boosts. I think if you're diligent about your travelin' boi you'll mostly maintain a 25% upkeep reduction.

I play exclusively on very hard and I always have a little world traveler. It's also good for scoping out factions that might wanna trade with you that you might otherwise not be able to see.

Really curious where you are getting the 300 number from them when recruiting a new lord on turn one with your starting army will increase your upkeep by around ~1000 in total from base lord upkeep and the additional army upkeep and that's only going to get a lot higher once you fill up your first stack and want to get a real second army.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I thought of something funny, but not really relevant to anything. I thought to myself one day that "You know what? If the Tomb Kings units have no upkeep, then that means the boring people have no excuse to start their games with disbanding their high tier starter unit, on the grounds of "efficiency". That's funny to me."

Cuz remember how there was one youtube guy who started a Tyrion campaign with disbanding his phoenix to replace it with more archers? That guy won't be able to do that kind of souless poo poo with the Tomb Kings. And I find that hilarious for some reason.

"I want to replace my huge monster with archers." "No, you can't do that, you need to build more buildings to increase your archer limit, disbanding your monster would not help with that, fool." "But... archers... spears..." "By Ptra what is wrong with you?"

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 21, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Kinda a shame TK can’t confederate at all, though I get why since you could bypass their army and unit caps really easily. What are people gonna do for campaigns when TK l launches? I’m thinking a Khalida Vortex campaign to start and then a Settra Mortal Empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Kinda a shame TK can’t confederate at all, though I get why since you could bypass their army and unit caps really easily. What are people gonna do for campaigns when TK l launches? I’m thinking a Khalida Vortex campaign to start and then a Settra Mortal Empires.

Yeah it sucks but their mini-LL characters sound like ballers in their own right and I guess it fits their theme.

Also means I'll have to play four campaigns :getin: