Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's okay, just include Belgium for once. Just give them 5% to gold generation and... I don't know. 5% to amenities. The kind of bonuses they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Gain 4 amenities every time the Dutch denounce you

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
half your citizens don't understand the other half

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Something something Belgium important to textiles in the late middle ages. So they'd have to be yet another trade-oriented civ, probably with a unique luxury.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Aerdan posted:

Something something Belgium important to textiles in the late middle ages. So they'd have to be yet another trade-oriented civ, probably with a unique luxury.

The Lowland nationalism being hilarious notwithstanding, Belgium's impact on the world was pretty big before the reformation - Antwerp was the most important city in Europe, seeing as how it was the biggest financial hub.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, then: good at chocolate and beer, bad at colonies

Is anyone good at colonies? I feel like colonies is one of those areas where everyone is just irredeemably poo poo.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is anyone good at colonies? I feel like colonies is one of those areas where everyone is just irredeemably poo poo.

... The ancient Greeks?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The history of Belgium stretches back at least five thousand years. The Proto-Indo-European language is actually derived from old Belgic. They built the Rhine.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Beamed posted:

The Lowland nationalism being hilarious notwithstanding, Belgium's impact on the world was pretty big before the reformation - Antwerp was the most important city in Europe, seeing as how it was the biggest financial hub.

Germany is already in the game

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
A few years ago I traveled to Hamburg from Barcelona by bus. The bus made several stops now and then but I slept my way through most of France and Belgium. By morning I woke up at a gas station in Maastricht and the first thing I saw was gently caress LES BELGES sprayed on a side of the building.

There, that's my Belgium story.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

all things considered, the belgians were awesome at colonialism, it's just that colonialism is poo poo.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

jfood posted:

all things considered, the belgians were awesome at colonialism, it's just that colonialism is poo poo.

Says the poster with two hands.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Shroud posted:

Says the poster with two hands.

:golfclap:

By the way, Mapuche would be really nice. There's only one single civ in South America and Europe is cluttered with a ton of them. Add the Inca and there'll be a nice geographical balance.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Yes, they grouped them together with the Dutch from 1815 onwards. Belgians were so utterly revolted by this that they formed their own nation a mere fifteen years later. Not even the Spanish, French or Austrians could anger the Belgians as much as the Dutch did. And the Dutch couldn't even reconquer plucky little Belgium; volunteers dunked on the Dutch army so hard we made a nursery rhyme about it.

Remind me how many saxophones the Netherlands invented?

And here i recall your little revolution being struck down so hard you had to beg the french for help. And look at your roads, you call this infrastructure??

Don’t worry though, as flanders has been begging for decades you are free to come back anytime! At least you are better than limburg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Davincie posted:

And here i recall your little revolution being struck down so hard you had to beg the french for help. And look at your roads, you call this infrastructure??

Thought you were talking about the USA until I saw the flag of the European Union in the photo

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

As a Belgian I'm just sitting here being quiet and eating popcorn.

We did get 2 city states, so that's kinda nice.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Krazyface posted:

The history of Belgium stretches back at least five thousand years. The Proto-Indo-European language is actually derived from old Belgic. They built the Rhine.

Close, but they actually built the Ruhr Valley

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
As the famous quote goes the HRE was not Holy, not Roman and not an empire.

Ottomans and Byzantium are at least totally different cultures ruling the same area. Just make "England" into Great Britain and gently caress off the whole England Scotland thing please.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Julius Caesar called the Belgica tribe the bravest of all the Gauls.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OperaMouse posted:

Julius Caesar called the Belgica tribe the bravest of all the Gauls.
He still slaughtered them

Taear posted:

As the famous quote goes the HRE was not Holy, not Roman and not an empire.

Ottomans and Byzantium are at least totally different cultures ruling the same area. Just make "England" into Great Britain and gently caress off the whole England Scotland thing please.
This kind of poo poo drives me nuts when all of Chinese history gets compacted into a single "China". I'm not even a
Sinophile but c'mon guys.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 21, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gaius Marius posted:

This kind of poo poo drives me nuts when all of Chinese history gets compacted into a single "China". I'm not even a
Sinophile but c'mon guys.

It's 'cause they wanna keep selling their game in China lol. I'd be down for separate Han/Tibet/Cantonese civs but that's a big market you're dropping by implying unfortunate things about China's territorial sovereignty

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It's 'cause they wanna keep selling their game in China lol. I'd be down for separate Han/Tibet/Cantonese civs but that's a big market you're dropping by implying unfortunate things about China's territorial sovereignty

Just separate it into Han Tang and maybe like a Qing or Ming if you need a third. Also a Tibet civ representing the Tibetan empire would be rad.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gaius Marius posted:

Just separate it into Han Tang and maybe like a Qing or Ming if you need a third. Also a Tibet civ representing the Tibetan empire would be rad.

That's just never ever happening.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

He still slaughtered them

Of course. Barbarians deserve no less.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Byzantine posted:

Of course. Barbarians deserve no less.

Excellent post-name combo, as always. How do you feel about the civ vi roster?

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Taear posted:

That's just never ever happening.

Yeah, we're talking about the people who made a Hawaiian leader of all Polynesians and paid a big name like Sean Bean to read quotes about wifi that have nothing to do with the the loving mountain that triggers the quote. People talk about wanting Belgium and separate Han/Cantonese, but I'm already surprised civs like Georgia and Poland make it in. I'm not saying these are civs that haven't done anything historically important, but you can imagine they have no real "branding" among the lowest common denominator in the audience. You'd be surprised how many people play Civ that really have no firm grasp on history beyond "Once upon a time, there was Europe."

Vaguely related, I remember when Georgia was in the news in 2008 because of the five-day war with Russia. You had to look Georgia up online and prove it was a sovereign country because everyone thought Russia invaded the US Georgia, the Paula Dean Jawjuh.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Yeah, we're talking about the people who made a Hawaiian leader of all Polynesians and paid a big name like Sean Bean to read quotes about wifi that have nothing to do with the the loving mountain that triggers the quote. People talk about wanting Belgium and separate Han/Cantonese, but I'm already surprised civs like Georgia and Poland make it in. I'm not saying these are civs that haven't done anything historically important, but you can imagine they have no real "branding" among the lowest common denominator in the audience. You'd be surprised how many people play Civ that really have no firm grasp on history beyond "Once upon a time, there was Europe."

I think they're trying to get better about that sort of thing, at least. VI seems like they're keeping that sort of thing in mind more. Though, as before, whoever picked the quotes and wrote the writing for this game needs to be fired. The Civilopedia's tone is really, really weird; it's negative about Cyrus and tries to talk down all his accomplishments and the good things he did, while being positive about Qin Shi Huang's brutal autocracy and book burnings, as an example. It also often tries to be "funny" and instead just comes off as cynical and misanthropic.

Unrelated, it's always fun when you realize a flaw in your grand plans. That picture I posted a while back about how I was going to make a great series of seaside resorts in one city? After I made that I learned that neither pairidaezas nor seaside resorts can be built on tundra, which makes sense but was still an unwelcome surprise. "Thankfully" that game is so slow I'm not even close to the point where I'd be making the latter and thus have time to figure out something else to do there, but it's still frustrating when you learn you overlooked such a small, simple detail.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Shame there isn't a ski resort improvement that you could build on tundra.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kassad posted:

ski resort is for snow/hills. helicopter moose sniping tours is a tundra improvement

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The White Dragon posted:

ski resort is for snow/hills. helicopter moose sniping tours is a tundra improvement

Another thing Beyond Earth did well: there's lots you can do with tundra and snow tiles that tend to be so awful in other Civ games. Terrascapes, arrays, domes, nodes, biowells, and generators can all be built there, which together with sea improvements like farms makes settling the poles downright practical.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kassad posted:

Someone suggest that to Firaxis and they might do it, really; they added a water-based Entertainment Complex in Rise and Fall, the Water Park, after all. Deserts have Petra and the Pyramids, and you can still build Seaside Resorts and Pairidaezas in them, meanwhile, so you can get some mileage out of them. Tundra, though, outside of that one pantheon belief and Russia, is useless and something you build districts over because you don't care about the tile's yield.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sorry for the driveby post, but I didn't see anything in the OP or the last two pages.

What's the general consensus about the DLC? Hype or not hype?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hype in new features/civs, not hype in the fact that it probably won't fix what's wrong with the base game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sorry for the driveby post, but I didn't see anything in the OP or the last two pages.

Do you mean the civ and scenario packs, or the upcoming expansion? Former, they're mostly pretty good, but some (particularly the Viking scenario pack, which doesn't come with a civ) are worth getting on sale. Rise and Fall looks great meanwhile.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Excellent post-name combo, as always. How do you feel about the civ vi roster?

-1453 No Byzantium

More seriously, it's getting better. At least Persia and Mongolia have been added by now, but I really dislike Civ's pattern of having twenty lovely Euro countries who've never done much of anything except exist for a hundred years or so while having the whole Muslim world be "Arabia" (led by the Sultan of Egypt Saladin), one African civ and one Native American civ (tho at least it's not Native America led by Sitting Bull), and the subcontinent being "India" led by loving Gandhi again.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 21, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I never played Civ IV in its prime, but I have to wonder how people reacted when Firaxis announced Sitting Bull, emperor of Native America, as a civ leader.

I don't think Civ will ever abandon Gandhi or Shaka Zulu, but sometimes I forget that Stalin and Mao were series regulars until V.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think Civ will ever abandon Gandhi or Shaka Zulu, but sometimes I forget that Stalin and Mao were series regulars until V.

There's always the opportunity to surprise everyone by having Indira Gandhi.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kassad posted:

There's always the opportunity to surprise everyone by having Indira Gandhi.

They did that in Civ II. Two Gandhis leading India.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I never played Civ IV in its prime, but I have to wonder how people reacted when Firaxis announced Sitting Bull, emperor of Native America, as a civ leader.

It was a different time back then. I don't think anybody really cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
They noticed but people were more receptive to the 'bad representation is better than no representation' argument back then. Soren and the rest tried to justify it as a counterfactual 'what if all of the North American natives banded together and fought back the Europeans' kind of thing, as well. They speak Mohawk and have totem poles so the intent was to be all-inclusive but it just comes off as ignorant.