Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Antarctica anime is extremely good. I thought gong in that it was gonna be a lightweight club show but nope, it throws around just the right amount of weighty stuff and it works really well.

It's a big mess of "what am I doing with my life" feels and "friends are hard" feels and I hope these girls have a good time with the penguins so much ;__;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious to see how heavy it gets when they actually get to Alaska. There's some obvious drama setup with the missing and very-definitely-not-frozen-to-death-mother, and you'd expect Antarctica to be at least a little dangerous. Probably won't get too serious beyond what they've already set up, but the show's already surprised me, so who knows

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
it's the same set up as made in abyss but with antarctica

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm curious to see how heavy it gets when they actually get to Alaska. There's some obvious drama setup with the missing and very-definitely-not-frozen-to-death-mother, and you'd expect Antarctica to be at least a little dangerous. Probably won't get too serious beyond what they've already set up, but the show's already surprised me, so who knows

If they get to Alaska something has already gone wrong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

They never should have taken that right turn at Albuquerque.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I could see it happening if they let Shirase steer the boat.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Coming to terms with your mother's death doesn't mean you can't also have fun with penguins.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Laughed out loud at my own typo

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
her mother has been surviving on penguin meat

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Homura and Sickle posted:

her mother has been surviving on penguin meat

I think the consensus of the explorers who tried that was "this tastes so bad I'd rather starve."

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I'm looking forward to the episode where they fight the lion.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Homura and Sickle posted:

it's the same set up as made in abyss but with antarctica

Well I mean, MiA is already starting to hint at backing down on the doom and gloom and bringing everyone back deeper in the abyss so maybe that's not super awful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/KETAJET/status/954638706111012865

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Shut up shut up shut up Antarctica isn't going to be MIA no it isn't. Also loving lol I just now see that abbreviation.

That said, I do like the brief snippets of Totally Uninvolved Best Friend and she could totally be guest interview on a news expose of what went wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think beatless might be really stupid underneath all the weirdness.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol it seems like it's probably going to be superficial, but how extremely eva Darling in the Franxx is is pretty great

Also, wow dis was right, it really is just about how to gently caress good, inside a robot. Lol

Knorth fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 21, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm really enjoying citrus despite how trashy it is. The plot feels very fast compared to what I'm used to for this genre and the main character is refreshingly proactive in doing poo poo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kater posted:

Shut up shut up shut up Antarctica isn't going to be MIA no it isn't. Also loving lol I just now see that abbreviation.

That said, I do like the brief snippets of Totally Uninvolved Best Friend and she could totally be guest interview on a news expose of what went wrong.

I put my faith in club leader Hinata Miyake. I have every confidence that she won't dash their hopes against the rocks simply because it is funny and/or interesting.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the middle east is making another attempt to get into the anime business, and this time its the saudis. the big crown prince had visited japan (and gotten oda's autograph) a while ago, so i guess his proposal for more business actually had results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTpSafUJzhQ

its a co-production with toei

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Davincie posted:

the middle east is making another attempt to get into the anime business, and this time its the saudis. the big crown prince had visited japan (and gotten oda's autograph) a while ago, so i guess his proposal for more business actually had results

That looks extremely charming and I'm down to watch it!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Sanrio Boys ep3 was intense in a way I was very much not expecting. I'm glad they've made the first steps to repairing their relationship but drat, Yuu, maybe don't bottle things up like that in the future yeah?

His friends remain, very good

StrixNebulosa posted:

That looks extremely charming and I'm down to watch it!

:agreed:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still need to pick up her game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/kokubucamera/status/954960635875373057

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think beatless might be really stupid underneath all the weirdness.

I think it's more that it's boring, rather than that it's stupid. The first episode was okay, buoyed more by a lack of especially egregious moments more than anything but the second episode didn't do anything for me so I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna bother with a third. I do like the bit of world building it did, showing how the fashion industry had changed thanks to technology and so on and I like that it wasn't afraid to have an episode with no conflict (but I might be thinking it's more of an action show than it intends) but the main character was a wet noodle the whole episode and there wasn't anything interesting enough to keep me watching.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Davincie posted:

NANI!?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
S A N R I O B O Y S

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Jeez, you guys sure got busy this week with the new threads...

quote:

Sanrio Danshi
Studio Pierrot | ... | ... | School | Original | Jan 6, 2018
The project's premise follows Kouta Hasegawa, a high school boy that loves the yellow Pom Pom Purin dog. By mere coincidence, he ends up attending the same school as Yuu Mizuno, a boy who likes the bunny My Melody. Yuu tells Kouta that there's nothing to be ashamed of for liking Sanrio's cute characters. Together, Kouta, Yuu, Shunsuke Yoshino, Ryou Nishimiya, and Seiichirou Minamoto learn to accept their love of the characters instead of feeling embarrassed.
PV
Thread

quote:

:siren:Darling in the FranXX
A-1 Pictures, Trigger | Nishigori, Atsushi | Hayashi, Naotaka | Sci-Fi, Mecha | Original | Jan 13, 2018
The story is set in the distant future. The land is ruined, and humanity establishes the mobile fort city Plantation. Pilots produced inside Plantation live in Mistilteinn, also know as the "birdcage." Children live there knowing nothing of the outside world or the freedom of the sky. Their lives consist of battling to carry out missions. Their enemies are mysterious giant lifeforms known as Kyōryū, and the children pilot robots called Franxx to face off against them. For the children, riding the Franxx proves their existence. A boy named Hiro is called Code:016, and he was once known as a prodigy. However, he has fallen behind, and his existence seems unnecessary. Not piloting a Franxx is the same as ceasing to exist. One day, a mysterious girl known as "Zero Two" appears before him. Two horns grow out of her head.
PV
Thread

quote:

Slow Start
A-1 Pictures | Hashimoto, Hiroyuki | Inoue, Mio | Slice of Life, Comedy, School | 4-koma manga | Jan 7, 2018
The story centers around 16-year-old Hana Ichinose, who unbeknownst to her classmates, was a year late in enrolling into high school. Although it may not seem like a big deal, it is a big deal to her. She wants to catch up with everyone else someday.
PV1 PV2
Thread

quote:

Kokkoku
Geno Studios | Oohashi, Yoshimitsu | Kimura, Noboru | Mystery, Psychological, Drama, Seinen | Manga | Jan 8, 2018
Juri Yukawa lives with her NEET father and brother, her retired grandfather, her sister (a single mother) and her young nephew.
One day, her nephew and brother are kidnapped for ransom. Having only 30 minutes to meet the demands of the kidnappers, Juri, who realizes there is not enough time to prepare the money, decides to head for their rescue by herself with knife in hand when her grandfather uses a mysterious stone passed on in the Yukawa family to stop time. In a world where everyone and everything are inert, Juri and her father and grandfather run to rescue the two. But at the kidnappers' hideout, they soon realize they are not the only ones who can move about in this still world...
PV
Thread

quote:

Beatless
Diomedea | Mizushima, Seiji | Takahashi, Tatsuya ; Zappa, Gou | Action, Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance | Light Novel | Jan 13, 2018
With the introduction of an ultra-advanced AI that surpasses human intelligence, beings that mankind is yet to fully comprehend made from materials far too advanced for human technology begin coming into being. Lacia, an hIE equipped with a black coffin-shaped device, is one of these. In boy-meets-girl fashion, 17-year-old Arato Endo has a fateful encounter with the artificial Lacia. For what purpose were these artificial beings created? Amid questions regarding the coexistence of these artificial beings and humans, a 17-year-old boy makes a decision...
PV
Thread

quote:

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Wit Studio | Watanabe, Ayumu | ... | Romance, Seinen | Manga | Jan 2018
Akira Tachibana is a soft-spoken high school student who used to be a part of the track and field club but, due to an injury, she is no longer able to run as fast as she once could. Working part-time at a family restaurant as a recourse, she finds herself inexplicably falling love with her manager, a divorced 45-year-old man with a young son. Despite the age gap, Akira wholeheartedly embraces his mannerisms and kind nature, which is seen as spinelessness by the other employees, and little by little, the two begin to understand each other. Although unable to explain why exactly she is attracted to him, Akira believes that a concrete reason is not needed to truly love someone. On a rainy day, she decides to finally tell her manager about how she feels...but just how will he react?
PV
Thread

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Davincie posted:

Holy gently caress lol

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
it owns that in between disappearing political opponents and sexually harassing thomas friedman, ibn salman is producing anime

it's gonna be dubbed in arabic and japanese from what i read when i first saw that trailer

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Special Early Season Review of Shows Without Threads: Mitsuboshi Colors

I feel like this is a show that I shouldn't enjoy, but sometimes it's so casually savage. And then...

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This was the best episode of Mitsuboshi Colors, so far.

Chu-Chu-Cabrillas is fun to say.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Other early season roundup of shows without threads:

Citrus - Named as such because every episode is like trying to eat a grapefruit with a spoon and some juice squirts out and lands directly on your eyeball, only the juice is rapey yuri, but sometimes you just have an urge to eat grapefruit, you know?

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - This show is evil, pure unadulterated evil. I am so triggered by Nishikata's plight in the face of such overwhelming advanced teasing, I can't help but root for the poor kid.

Killing Bites - Coincidentally I'm watching Black Lagoon this season so I can't help but compare Revy to Honey Badger, let alone both shows to each other, and so far feelings are equal for both across the board. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan 2 - I can't express enough disappointment in how this show fell through the streaming/simulcasting cracks. Crunchyroll streams Gintama already, why can't they pick this up? :(

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san - Just... just how many takes did they record of various slurping noises? :stare:

Takunomi - Another Cute Women Drinking Cute Alcohol show following up on LoveCock from last season. Good stuff, but viewer beware this one will make you hella thirsty.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I have never once in my entire life had the urge to eat grapefruit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grapefruit is yummy

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Agronox posted:

I have never once in my entire life had the urge to eat grapefruit

Once you eat one really good fresh grapefruit, it will stay with you forever and always be in the back of your mind.

Much like the first time your step-sister jams her tongue down your throat and her knee in your crotch.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnacondaHL posted:

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan 2 - I can't express enough disappointment in how this show fell through the streaming/simulcasting cracks. Crunchyroll streams Gintama already, why can't they pick this up? :(

I did make a fansub of the first ep, though I'm not too sure of my translation accuracy in a few places.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Pairing down my list for this season to just Pop Team Epic, Citrus probably Darling in the FranXX, might pick up Laidback Camp and Mitsuboshi Colors tho. Weirdly A Place Further Than The Universe sounds too lowkey highkey for me if that makes sense

Been rewatching old stuff tho which is kinda lame, but sometimes it be like that

AnacondaHL posted:

Good stuff, but viewer beware this one will make you hella thirsty.
important question, which kind of thirsty

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is Takunomi streaming somewhere? I want to watch the Drinking Girls that is not the real Drinking Girls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Pairing down my list for this season to just Pop Team Epic, Citrus probably Darling in the FranXX, might pick up Laidback Camp and Mitsuboshi Colors tho. Weirdly A Place Further Than The Universe sounds too lowkey highkey for me if that makes sense

Been rewatching old stuff tho which is kinda lame, but sometimes it be like that

important question, which kind of thirsty

Place Further than the Universe is funny as hell. Watch it if you like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

Is Takunomi streaming somewhere? I want to watch the Drinking Girls that is not the real Drinking Girls.

Crunchyroll

• Locked thread