Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Darko posted:

Randy's most historically famous score piece is probably The Natural - and was actually the first time I "noticed" him at all as a kid.

I love that score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Calling it "Variation 15" is a bit brazen in my book, but I'll forgive Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer because I like Elgar's Enigma Variations as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpvEgJEn94

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As others have already mentioned, the Hans Zimmer live tour is awesome. I just watched it last night and it really does show off a good range of songs by him. I was surprised by just how much drums and electric guitar were being used. Its hard to say what I liked best, but the Pirates songs really worked well together as one continuous piece. It was interesting hearing the gladiator music first and then seeing its influence in some of his later songs.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Detected some welcome Jonny Greenwood influence in Zimmer's score for Dunkirk.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I just found out the upcoming Thor movie is scored by loving Mark Mothersbaugh.

I just got *way* more excited about it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just rewatched Logan and the score really stands out as unusual and cool in a few places, while still seeming to be appropriate for the scenes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress Yes!!!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/hans-zimmer-announces-new-live-album/

quote:

For those who weren’t able to catch Zimmer live, all is not lost. One of his concerts from the recent tour has been chronicled and will be released as a proper live album on November 3rd via Eagle Rock Entertainment.

Live in Prague was recorded/filmed at Zimmer’s Prague show on May 7th and boasts a setlist featuring arrangements from more than 10 (!) of his scores. Classic material from Gladiator, Interstellar, The Da Vinci Code, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Sherlock Holmes, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Lion King, Crimson Tide, Inception, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, and more find a home on the LP.

Including special guest guitarist Johnny Marr. The live album will be available on DVD, Blu-ray, 2CD, and 4LP formats.

Its the entire concert

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Live In Prauge is out today

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll have to get it on blu-ray or something because I stupidly missed a theatrical run of it in my city, but it got me wondering why the Hannibal score is so overlooked now. I think it's among the best work Zimmer has done and one of the very few scores where adding dialogue from the film works really well (aside from maybe David Julyan's Memento but those were at the beginning and end of the tracks). The only downside in Hannibal though is throwing in dialogue at the end of Vide Cor Meum which brings it down a bit but otherwise it's a really good score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R-ydPmXFsY

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Has anyone been listening to the Thor: Ragnarok soundtrack?

It's legit one of my recent favorites. Mothersbaugh's synth work in it is exquisite

ComposerGuy posted:

I just found out the upcoming Thor movie is scored by loving Mark Mothersbaugh.

I just got *way* more excited about it.

Ah ha, there we go. Yeah it's good AF

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think it was a excellent match for the movie, with it not being as serious as the other Marvel movies. I also liked the musical callbacks to the other movies (Dr. Strange and the Thor main theme).

It also had a very fitting bonus track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7s7MvRNmzI

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The scores for Jane and Hostiles were pretty darn good this year

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it was a excellent match for the movie, with it not being as serious as the other Marvel movies. I also liked the musical callbacks to the other movies (Dr. Strange and the Thor main theme).

It also had a very fitting bonus track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7s7MvRNmzI

I just want the 1980's to be over already.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

I just want the 1980's to be over already.

Pfft, the 80s brought us some of the best soundtracks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Skoll posted:

Pfft, the 80s brought us some of the best soundtracks.

I like the synth stuff from the 80's as much as the next guy but it's everywhere now. I'd like something different from the ironically recycled aesthetics from 40 years ago. As forgettable as the Marvel soundtracks are, those parts in the Thor Ragnarok score made me cringe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The 90’s is coming next

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I like the synth stuff from the 80's as much as the next guy but it's everywhere now. I'd like something different from the ironically recycled aesthetics from 40 years ago. As forgettable as the Marvel soundtracks are, those parts in the Thor Ragnarok score made me cringe.

Using Zeppelin the way they did was the worst part of its soundtrack.

Not saying they couldn't have used Zeppelin or the Immigrant Song, just the actual execution of it was awful.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Conan, Empire Strikes Back, RoboCop to name a few were all excellent scores.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Using Zeppelin the way they did was the worst part of its soundtrack.

Not saying they couldn't have used Zeppelin or the Immigrant Song, just the actual execution of it was awful.

Both times they used it, yes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

The 90’s is coming next

Nope, not gonna happen. It gets skipped every cycle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno. I saw furbies and tamagaci keychain things around TRU when I worked there. It’s creeping in

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I dunno. I saw furbies and tamagaci keychain things around TRU when I worked there. It’s creeping in

I don't know who came up with Furby, but I'm pretty sure they hated children because those things were horrifying.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skoll posted:

I don't know who came up with Furby, but I'm pretty sure they hated children because those things were horrifying.

My brother and both my sisters each had one of those things. Turned our house into something out of Hellraiser or some poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a Gizmo furby and it owned.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I had a Gizmo furby and it owned.

When I was a kid, we had the Gizmo in the Barbie car toy. It was die cast and heavy as gently caress.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oscar score nominations are out

Dunkirk (Hans Zimmer)

Phantom Thread (Jonny Greenwood)

The Shape of Water (Alexandre Desplat)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (John Williams)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri(Carter Burwell)

I am glad Zimmer got a nod for Dunkirk. I think his Bladerunner score was phenomenal as well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Last Jedi's nomination stuns me, because it feels like 90 percent of it, at least, is warmed-over material from The Force Awakens and then reprises of stuff from the original trilogy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

The Last Jedi's nomination stuns me, because it feels like 90 percent of it, at least, is warmed-over material from The Force Awakens and then reprises of stuff from the original trilogy.

The Academy is more a who-you-know than merit based institution. Williams getting a nod for completely rehashed material is not surprising in the least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

It’s not.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Gonna have a poo poo fit if Greenwood doesn't get it

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Time Dissolver posted:

Gonna have a poo poo fit if Greenwood doesn't get it

Still bitter about There Will Be Blood, to be honest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd replace Dunkirk with Blade Runner 2049. Zimmer is often a bore for my ears, but his send up of Vangelis is loving jaw dropping.
Flight to LAPD

As for some recommendations:
I'm going to run out of synonyms for "great" before the list is done.

Hajime Mizoguchi's score for the film Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade is all around fantastic.
Pride
The vocal reprise of Pride in Grace Omega is beautiful as well, before slamming into a wicked electric guitar riff.

You all probably know Joe Hisaishi's music is brilliant, but having recently rewatched Princess Mononoke, it cannot be overstated just how phenomenal the music is.
The Legend of Ashitaka
The Journey to the West
Main Theme

Paul Leonard Morgan's DREDD soundtrack is pretty dope
Mega City One

Junkie XL isn't the best composer in the world, but he does mix his action cues really well and he's real good when firing on all cylinders.
300 Rise of an Empire: Marathon
Fury Road: Brothers in Arms

Alexandre Desplat's Godzilla soundtrack was surprisingly old school and I appreciated it's weirdness a lot.
Godzilla!
Last Shot
Godzilla's Victory

God, listening to the Godzilla tracks makes me wish Rogue One had kept Desplat instead of going with Giacchino's mediocre at best soundtrack. Though the guys who should really be given a shot at composing for a Star Wars movie are Mark Griskey and Jesse Harlin.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Those are all excellent tracks. Brothers in Arms especially I can listen to all loving day.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

God, listening to the Godzilla tracks makes me wish Rogue One had kept Desplat instead of going with Giacchino's mediocre at best soundtrack. Though the guys who should really be given a shot at composing for a Star Wars movie are Mark Griskey and Jesse Harlin.

Is Desplat's Rogue One score available anywhere? The guy just knows how to do a pastiche; his soundtrack for The Monuments Men does a great job of evoking the spirit of latter-day WW2 flicks like Kelly's Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuzHbvbEIxo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Is Desplat's Rogue One score available anywhere? The guy just knows how to do a pastiche; his soundtrack for The Monuments Men does a great job of evoking the spirit of latter-day WW2 flicks like Kelly's Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuzHbvbEIxo

I don't think the score actually exists. According to this article, the Rogue One reshoots caused a delay which led to a scheduling conflict for Desplat, since he had also signed on to do the Valerian soundtrack. So he probably didn't get the chance to even start composing because of the setbacks. He also didn't want to work under John Williams's shadow again, since he apparently felt a lot of pressure doing Deathly Hallows and needing to reintegrate elements of Williams's Harry Potter scores into the film.

The Rogue One production must have been an absolute clusterfuck.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think the score actually exists. According to this article, the Rogue One reshoots caused a delay which led to a scheduling conflict for Desplat, since he had also signed on to do the Valerian soundtrack. So he probably didn't get the chance to even start composing because of the setbacks. He also didn't want to work under John Williams's shadow again, since he apparently felt a lot of pressure doing Deathly Hallows and needing to reintegrate elements of Williams's Harry Potter scores into the film.

...Wow, that's both cool and depressing. Thanks!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Did anyone else hate the Three Billboards soundtrack? It's just so overbearing and obvious.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Valerian's soundtrack almost saved that movie, so I'm glad he picked that one. Here's a good track: Valerian's Armor.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

that doesn't quite as stressful as Hans Zimmer starting the Blade Runner score in June after Johan Johannson dropped out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Digging up ancient stuff from this thread, I found a James Horner score that doesn't make me want to rip my ears off for being a complete ripoff of his earlier work.
Mask of Zorro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9NbU_R-y4

Watching a bunch of 90s films, Horner also has a few other recycled tracks and motifs that don't get brought up as much. One of them is the "danger whistle" which plays a lot in Zorro and in Legends of the Fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Digging up ancient stuff from this thread, I found a James Horner score that doesn't make me want to rip my ears off for being a complete ripoff of his earlier work.
Mask of Zorro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9NbU_R-y4

Watching a bunch of 90s films, Horner also has a few other recycled tracks and motifs that don't get brought up as much. One of them is the "danger whistle" which plays a lot in Zorro and in Legends of the Fall.

Zorro, Legends of the Fall, and Braveheart were a great run of scores in a few years. It was Bicentennial Man where he reached the rehash point of no return.

I wouldn't mind Zimmer getting an Oscar for Dunkirk because some of his best scores, like Pirates: At World's End get ignored because they are attached to crap movies and Dunkirk's score pretty much WAS that movie.