Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

How many are differentiable when diffusing off or through car surfaces, and do you for a single second believe that a car company could make a usable UI for even 64 colors?

I don't see why not - you'd have a touch screen anyway so just rip off the MS Office colour picker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

How many are differentiable when diffusing off or through car surfaces, and do you for a single second believe that a car company could make a usable UI for even 64 colors?

Every after market head unit has 32,000 colour options to match oem interior lighting these days and they seem to manage.

So of course MB would make it overly complex and then decide it's better to stick with 64.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I really like those tailpipes. I wonder if that's new AMG design item or if they'll only be for the hybrid *53 cars.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KakerMix posted:

Plus they seem to age far, far better than anything else. I haven't seen a calpped-out Prius bombing around on blown suspension like I do with every single Escalade or Excursion ever made. Or old Hyundais.

The Prius is the perfect car for everyone who doesn't care about driving, which is a gigantic population. Not sure how they've hosed up so long not having a Prius branded crossover but I think it's coming soon as the replacement for the V.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Prius is the perfect car for everyone who doesn't care about driving

This is such a stupid opinion

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

No, it's really not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wheeee posted:

Why? It's objectively a great car, from everything I've heard about it. They even hold up well in taxi service from what I've seen. It's just somewhat dull to drive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some of us just like driving. Not speeding, not rowing through the gears, not nailing every apex.

Just the simple act of driving with competence and a calm attitude. I find it relaxing and enjoyable.

Maybe that makes me a weird kind of enthusiast, I dunno.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The new Prius is just insanely ugly

Even ordinary people who never look at car styling recoil from it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reminder that the Prius' original design goal was to be a mid-range model slotting between the Corolla and the Camry and emphasizing fuel economy. They had a couple of different ideas for how to achieve that (IIRC a teeny lean-burn turbo engine was one of the possibilities) but ended up going with the hybrid system. Then the hybrid stuff gained traction with hollywood celebrities and it became an eco-car and a symbol of conspicuous green-consciousness and now it's a whole line of cars unto itself and whatever.

But at its heart, the car is still intended to be a driving appliance that is slightly fancier than a Corolla and slightly less grandma-y than a Camry, and that market is enormous.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KozmoNaut posted:

Some of us just like driving. Not speeding, not rowing through the gears, not nailing every apex.

Just the simple act of driving with competence and a calm attitude. I find it relaxing and enjoyable.

Maybe that makes me a weird kind of enthusiast, I dunno.

True, but you can also appreciate a poised, solid, well engineered car while driving sedately on the highway. Every Prius I’ve ever driven just feels substandard. Slow, goes around corners on the door handles, mediocre brake feel, just an awful car.

I mean, I’ve driven worse (a recent Nissan Versa rental comes to mind,) but Prius is awful in every way that isn’t reliability or fuel economy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Prius is great in the city - that electric motor torque really helps it along.

While the previous gen is still extremely popular as a taxi I’ve seen only one of the current gen locally, most drivers seem to have switched to the Camry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
say what you want about how boring they are but the numbers don't lie:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/prius

the less gas they use the more for me

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The new Prius is just insanely ugly

Even ordinary people who never look at car styling recoil from it
That is definitely true.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm fine with 34 MPG in a Honda Civic Touring 1.5T. Whatever money I save with the Prius is well spent on having something bearable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

(a recent Nissan Versa rental comes to mind,)

Such a poo poo car. Now imagine driving it at 9000+ feet :stonk:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

MrYenko posted:

but Prius is awful in every way that isn’t reliability or fuel economy.

There is a huge number of car buyers where these are the only two things they care about.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Such a poo poo car. Now imagine driving it at 9000+ feet :stonk:

Nope. Nope nope nope nope NOOOOOPE.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a friend that owns an M5 and grew up driving his dad's modified 240z and he loves the poo poo out of his Prius because it's cheap to operate and never breaks.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Nope. Nope nope nope nope NOOOOOPE.

How about a rental (2010-ish) Sentra going up and back down Mt. Washington? Some very interesting smells coming out of that car afterward, not all of which were from the driver's seat and pants.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Nissan: Because You Don’t Have Any Other Choice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nissan: The Japanese Chrysler

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nissan: Because you forgot Mitsubishi existed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ExplodingSims posted:

At long last, I finally understand what non-elucidian looks like:

it looks like a Guild navigator

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Nissan: The Japanese Chrysler

Wrong, Fiat/Chrysler make products that evoke some sort of emotion in me other than vague disgust, even if I wouldn't ever buy one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you think a Sentra is bad rental car pray you never get stuck with an 'automatic' Punto

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didnt some Sentras have a not so small 2.0 in them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dissss posted:

If you think a Sentra is bad rental car pray you never get stuck with an 'automatic' Punto

I pray everyone who thinks an automatic transmission is appropriate to put in a car with a tiny engine is savagely beaten.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

I pray everyone who thinks an automatic transmission is appropriate to put in a car with a tiny engine is savagely beaten.

If it was a regular auto then I wouldn't have an issue with it - at least you know what you're getting and can expect smooth (if slow) progress.

The Fiat on the other hand has a single clutch automated manual which is technically capable of fully automatic operation but in practice needs to be operated in manual mode anyway and even then you need to be extremely careful with the throttle to trick it into changing smoothly (or what passes as smoothly). It's literally more effort than using a normal manual transmission.

That's on a brand new one too, get one with a few rental miles and you can add weird smells and hilarious clutch slip on top of everything else.

76hp BTW, and while I can't find any 0-60 times for the auto the manual is somewhere around 13 seconds

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dissss posted:

If it was a regular auto then I wouldn't have an issue with it - at least you know what you're getting and can expect smooth (if slow) progress.

The Fiat on the other hand has a single clutch automated manual which is technically capable of fully automatic operation but in practice needs to be operated in manual mode anyway and even then you need to be extremely careful with the throttle to trick it into changing smoothly (or what passes as smoothly). It's literally more effort than using a normal manual transmission.

That's on a brand new one too, get one with a few rental miles and you can add weird smells and hilarious clutch slip on top of everything else.

76hp BTW, and while I can't find any 0-60 times for the auto the manual is somewhere around 13 seconds

Sounds like the Smart Fortwo's automatic, except with a manual mode. That sucker was really unpleasant to take on I-95 but I'm still sad they're gone from Miami.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

That is definitely true.

I know at least one person who went to buy one then switched to the Hyundai Ioniq solely because it looks boring instead of horrible.\

It's a shame too because the new Prius has less usable cargo space in the back as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

Nissan: because the Kia dealership is too far from the bus stop to walk.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Q_res posted:

Wait so does that mean Mitsubishi is the Japanese AMC? Where does Suzuki fit in there?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Suzuki makes cheap little cars some of which are extremely entertaining - the Swift Sport is great for what you pay and even the regular one with the little turbo is fun to drive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Where does Suzuki fit in there?

It doesn't since it exited the US market 5 years ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Suzuki makes cheap little cars some of which are extremely entertaining - the Swift Sport is great for what you pay and even the regular one with the little turbo is fun to drive.

I wish. If Suzuki had offered that while they were still here I'd have one right now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A friend just bought the new swift sport because I said it looked neat. He went to test drive one and was really impressed. 26k out the door.

I'm gonna have a go and maybe do the same. Cheap and super fun he said.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FBS posted:

I thought this kinda stuff was played out by the second Fast and Furious movie

is street-racer fashion making a comeback?

See the Honda Civic Type R for your answer to "will people buy awful looking poo poo?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So a good friend of mine is looking to replace his wife’s ~2005 CRV, and was pondering larger vehicles. She’s an awful driver, and has ripped the bumper off the CRV THREE TIMES, pulling in and out of the garage (she’s an awful driver,) so he has specific desires of a new car. We talked about the new Volvo XC90, gently used Escalades/Yukon Denalis, etc etc.. Nothing checked all his boxes, until I mentioned to him that for his use case and requirements, (two kids in car seats, 360° parking cam, emergency assist braking, parking assist, occasional need for a six/seven pax vehicle, general household useage, suburbs and highways) a minivan is really the perfect vehicle.

He balked initially, since he DDs a 2010 6 speed M5, he obviously doesn’t want to be that guy.

And then we made it to the Chrysler website, and I got to watch him realize that the new Pacifica really does check every box on his wishlist. He grew angrier and angrier as he looked through the options list. He took his lunch break and actually went to a nearby Chrysler dealer to sit in one. He was even angrier when he got back from that, because he actually liked it.

I enjoyed the hell out of the entire process. :v:

Also, gently lowered and on non-poverty spec wheels, they’re actually kinda cool looking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I feel like that would ruin the ride of a normally very comfortable van