Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm too tipsy to really want to put in the effort of writing an effort post about the whole mess but what I will say is that the Navy in general, and surface community specifically, are reaping what was sown decades ago when operational command and man, train and equip decisions were separated.

Agreed on the SWO stuff. The training is not nearly what it needs to be, for sailors or officers. Apparently its getting better towards hands on learning again, but the fleet still has a along way to go before we really start to reap the benefits of that.

And I should clarify: I think most of the officers on the FITZ realized that it was a possibility that some charges would be brought forward. What, we weren't sure, but something. The negligent homicide charges against Commander Benson are a complete shock. Hell, there was one sailor that was very surprised when I told him that Command Benson was going to be relived for what happened. I think a lot of us hoped that because of what happened that would be the end of it, but again, always the possibility.

They have to pay us large amounts of money to even stay in for Department Head rides. Right now it's about 105k to stay in for that. A lot of JOs won't even do it though because of all of the health effects and stressors that are a part of that life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Valley Stared posted:

Agreed on the SWO stuff. The training is not nearly what it needs to be, for sailors or officers. Apparently its getting better towards hands on learning again, but the fleet still has a along way to go before we really start to reap the benefits of that.

And I should clarify: I think most of the officers on the FITZ realized that it was a possibility that some charges would be brought forward. What, we weren't sure, but something. The negligent homicide charges against Commander Benson are a complete shock. Hell, there was one sailor that was very surprised when I told him that Command Benson was going to be relived for what happened. I think a lot of us hoped that because of what happened that would be the end of it, but again, always the possibility.

They have to pay us large amounts of money to even stay in for Department Head rides. Right now it's about 105k to stay in for that. A lot of JOs won't even do it though because of all of the health effects and stressors that are a part of that life.

You thinking about making a career out of the navy, or are you gonna transition to the Civilian sector? Not a loaded question, I was a career guy. Air Force though, not navy. My parents were career navy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been wanting to re-enlist (help me) but the majority of people who stay in and the stress from dumb poo poo is just so toxic. I can’t imagine myself having any friends at work as a first class or chief solely based on the fact that i hate 99% of the people up there now because they’re so quick to poo poo on everyone lower than them.

/daily navy rant

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

I’ve been wanting to re-enlist (help me) but the majority of people who stay in and the stress from dumb poo poo is just so toxic. I can’t imagine myself having any friends at work as a first class or chief solely based on the fact that i hate 99% of the people up there now because they’re so quick to poo poo on everyone lower than them.

/daily navy rant

Make friends outside of work. Keep your life separate. Not to say be a dick but, have them as acquaintances or work friends.

Just be sure to look at your whole situation but, if you're on your first contract, probably a good time to pull chalks and head to university.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You thinking about making a career out of the navy, or are you gonna transition to the Civilian sector? Not a loaded question, I was a career guy. Air Force though, not navy. My parents were career navy.

I'm staying in for Department Head , but we'll see from there. I think the answer is yes, but, I don't want to become a terrible human being in the process. The biggest reason I decided to stay is was that I wanted to teach new JOs and not have the FITZ or McCain happen again. If my staying in can help prevent that, then okay.

Right now I'm getting a Masters, but I'll have a lot of time between when this tour ends and I'm supposed to start DH school. I might try to go to DLI so that I have an FAO option available after finishing my DH rides.

Anita Dickinme, I agree with Nick Soapdish unless you really enjoy what you're doing, and can't get something similar in the Civilian sector. Unless you want to take an officer route and do STA-21 or something like that.

Can I ask how much the bonus would be? Not that that should be a factor.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, 99% of my ability to survive this long is based on keeping a social life completely separate from the Navy. Like, I still have Navy related friends and what not, but they're not my only it primary source of social interaction.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I probably don't talk about my job to my friends more than an hour in a year. Being able to keep a wall between your work and personal life is impossible f you're hanging around the same people all but during sleep.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My friends find my reserve stories to be hilarious.

But I’ve lived a charmed life minus my DTS issue.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Godammit. Government couldn't just keep trucking for 10 more days.

10 loving days and this PCS that I've thrown together with duct tape and string within a month would have been done.

Now I need to somehow find out what the gently caress I can string together for the dog's flight that was scheduled perfectly to meet us at the distant end.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Hurr durr guy we don't have to go to work on Monday, right? Because we're not getting payed, hurr durr?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Should have handed out prefilled in charge sheets so the guys could fill them in.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can someone point me to the regs regarding reenlistment?

I have been asked to reenlist one of my reserve sailors this weekend but with the shutdown that has been thrown into disarray. I want to know what my options are so that I can provide them to him.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

Make friends outside of work. Keep your life separate. Not to say be a dick but, have them as acquaintances or work friends.

Just be sure to look at your whole situation but, if you're on your first contract, probably a good time to pull chalks and head to university.

Yeah I’ve been thinking a lot about going civilian again lately due to dumb poo poo like some chief losing his mind at people bringing their backpacks to turnover and making everyone take their bags back to their work center then come back before we could get off. I just don’t understand higher ups.

The Valley Stared posted:

Anita Dickinme, I agree with Nick Soapdish unless you really enjoy what you're doing, and can't get something similar in the Civilian sector. Unless you want to take an officer route and do STA-21 or something like that.

Can I ask how much the bonus would be? Not that that should be a factor.

I honestly do enjoy it. Would really only do Warrant because I’m not trying to get into the backstabbing politics of being an officer.

As for the bonuses I can’t see it being over $1,000 at any point for ABE.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

I have been asked to reenlist one of my reserve sailors this weekend but with the shutdown that has been thrown into disarray. I want to know what my options are so that I can provide them to him.

What in particular are you looking for? If they already have the contract done, which they should have if given time to the NOSC, you as an O can do it any time, any place.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got notified I’m still to go on orders tomorrow. Can’t wait to sit around and look confused.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LingcodKilla posted:

Got notified I’m still to go on orders tomorrow. Can’t wait to sit around and look confused.

And not get paid.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Laranzu posted:

Godammit. Government couldn't just keep trucking for 10 more days.

10 loving days and this PCS that I've thrown together with duct tape and string within a month would have been done.

Now I need to somehow find out what the gently caress I can string together for the dog's flight that was scheduled perfectly to meet us at the distant end.

Had a whirlwind week of getting verbals to a new place way early with a really poo poo hot training opportunity on the way, to now that's probably all hosed thanks to the shutdown.

Hope your dog gets there okay man.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

That's weird, the email I got said anyone with orders after the 20th weren't supposed to execute.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

And not get paid.

Every single red cent is on my GTC and they can suck my balls before I pay out of pocket for it ever again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Your credit is going to get tanked over this months out

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

maffew buildings posted:

Your credit is going to get tanked over this months out

After his command UCMJ's him for not paying off the GTC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

No poo poo I’m currently filing paper work for them to reimburse me for 3k from previous orders.
Finally had to get an admiral involved and things are moving again.
Never ever trust orders that go across fiscal year. The idiots at my old nosc managed to extend them rather than end one set and create another.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Oh cool so your credit was already tanked, nothing to lose then

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

What in particular are you looking for? If they already have the contract done, which they should have if given time to the NOSC, you as an O can do it any time, any place.

Yes I realize that, but I don't have the paperwork, I don't know that the NOSC is open, and I don't know what the timeline looks like and I want to get out ahead of it.

Just the reg that governs it because I'd like to read up on it

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

LingcodKilla posted:

Every single red cent is on my GTC and they can suck my balls before I pay out of pocket for it ever again.

I'd have to check again but I think it doesn't show up on your credit report until 4-6 months without payment.

The problem is that you can be adsep'd and possibly lose your clearance eligibility for failure to pay a just debt before that ever happens.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Oh cool so your credit was already tanked, nothing to lose then

Lol i payed from it out of my savings because I had a second set of orders ready to go. I had just sold a house so this was my toy fund.

The funny thing about the problem is nobody moved quickly to help me until the orders somehow got audited without a voucher being filed and they noticed they overplayed me by $200. I told them that’s cool I’d gladly pay up after my voucher was accepted. But it hadn’t been accepted because the way it was submitted by the nosc was invalid. I had all my receipts and orders properly done. Now it’s just a waiting game.

I doubt anyone is going to get in trouble for gtc issues and missing government payments while a shutdown is in effect and like people said it takes months for them to even report it and if that happens we got bigger issues.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

Do some research, but IIRC it doesn't go to credit agencies until 1-2 months after it hits your command's bulletin as "DELINQUENT!"

There's not much they can do if money is completely turned off, but I've seen a few people get paper pushers to get reimbursements through quickly when they just announced flat out they weren't going to pay it until the day before it went on their credit report. They tried to get an E-4 to pay about $10,000 of travel costs overnight, because the GS who approved reimbursements had to take emergency leave or something, and the bill was delinquent. The CSM even suggested the soldier use a personal credit card to pay off the GTC, and the O-4 XO offered a personal loan to the E-4, until we informed the XO that this would be very against regulation.

People get really bent out of shape about red boxes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If nothing I’ve learned since this happened what to look out for. I’ll be ok.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Boon posted:

MILPERSMAN 1160

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Rumour has it Little Rock is going to sit in Montreal's old port (right by the cruise berth) until the spring thaw.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Rumour has it Little Rock is going to sit in Montreal's old port (right by the cruise berth) until the spring thaw.

Not much of a rumor if you catch my drift.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FrozenVent posted:

Defending America's shores against all enemies!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Montreal was pretty overrated. Ville de Quebec on the other hand...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I once spent a month as a warm license onboard a laid up ship in Quebec City.

It wasn't a good month for my bank account or my liver.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Quebec city is good can confirm

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

Not much of a rumor if you catch my drift.

Something Little Rock can't do.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alright. Headed to Chicago tomorrow. Hopefully I don't die or piss off my RDCs.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LogicalFallacy posted:

Tell them the pizza is better in Detroit.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LogicalFallacy posted:

How do we send you letters of encouragement and care packages?

EDIT: nothing feels worse when everyone else gets a letter during mail call and you dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Blackchamber posted:

How do we send you letters of encouragement and care packages?

EDIT: nothing feels worse when everyone else gets a letter during mail call and you dont
I've got a very sentimental aunt and a very concerned mother who will be sending me all sorts of poo poo.

And my rear end in a top hat brother who's got a very special package he's put together that "isn't anything that will get me in any real trouble"