Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Of course, everything about how Horikoshi has handled the whole traitor sub-plot makes me think he never really put too much thought into it so maybe his ideas have changed since then. I don't buy this reveal though, the chapter's obviously setting it up as a big reveal but they don't actually show anything incriminating or even use incriminating terminology in the ominous narration.

I think Horikoshi probably had someone in mind at first, but got cold feet when he started seeing character polls. "Oh, everybody loves all of these good boys and best girls! Well... poo poo..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Considering we've seen Aoyama's mother I don't think he's the traitor. I'm thinking the reveal is just that Aoyama is a big wuss and he's coming to Midoriya to ask about how to grow a spine. I expect, however, that we'll find out the actual traitor by the end of the arc.

Top suspect right now is Present Mic given that he was the first to bring up a traitor, resembles the evil Kaminari prototype and there was even a joke about his lack of a conscience in the last chapter. The usual suspects are just behind him.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fan Theory: Mina has normal human skin, she just eats a lot of shrimp.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don't forget, where he was during the USJ attack is "a secret".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

lowercase16 posted:

I think Horikoshi probably had someone in mind at first, but got cold feet when he started seeing character polls. "Oh, everybody loves all of these good boys and best girls! Well... poo poo..."
Couldn't he, I dunno, not give a drat about what his audience thinks, allowing him to off the characters he wants to off?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as long as it's not my sweet shadowy boy tokoyami i don't care

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i feel horikoshi wouldnt just wing such a huge thing and it'll be good and make sense when it gets revealed because its iida

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grouchio posted:

Couldn't he, I dunno, not give a drat about what his audience thinks, allowing him to off the characters he wants to off?

Jump has a strong editorial hand.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Grouchio posted:

Couldn't he, I dunno, not give a drat about what his audience thinks, [...]?

With how Jump ratings work, no. No he cannot.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

He could be a traitor without being actually evil if he's being blackmailed or threatened by someone :shrug: .

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Go look up how Byakuya Kuchiki died then undied

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Or all the non-essential but popular characters that died in Naruto when Pain attacked the village

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're assuming a lot here. they don't have to kill him if he's the traitor and that won't even necessarily affect his popularity. just look at sasuke

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lowercase16 posted:

it's entirely possible that's why multiple characters had viable routes to traitor-dom. and similarly how you can easily argue that any given character can't possibly be the traitor, because they were all written in such a way where any of them could have been (and thus could have not been) since he didn't actually know who the traitor was at the time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or all the non-essential but popular characters that died in Naruto when Pain attacked the village

I don't remember who died.
Not popular enough, that's why they died. :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I don't remember who died.
Not popular enough, that's why they died. :colbert:

only pain died when he attacked the village (and Jiraiya earlier but that doesn't count). Just like only Madara + Obito + Neji died during the war.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay, so only what i remember.
That's a new one!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kakashi died and so did choji's dad, shizune...

but pain revived them all, which was the point being made

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kakashi had a whole thing with his death and the walk back on it was hilarious

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Slime posted:

As far as we know.

It'd be great if the next chapter was just a slow zoom out of an increasingly long lineup of characters watching Deku sleep.

Manatee Cannon posted:

kakashi had a whole thing with his death and the walk back on it was hilarious

Naruto's unwillingness to really commit to anyone's death in the second part really sucked. When they brought back the first major antagonist even I just kind of sighed because no one really dies, and anyone who did die just came back to life again anyway.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want to point out that people are just assuming those deaths were undone by editorial fiat and there's really no evidence to support that

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, those were written by people who were already allergic to consequences.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kild posted:

only pain died when he attacked the village (and Jiraiya earlier but that doesn't count). Just like only Madara + Obito + Neji died during the war.

Inoichi and Shikaku, but they're unimportant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember hearing that the bleach deaths did get walked back on because of fan backlash but idk where I got that from

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Inoichi and Shikaku, but they're unimportant.

oh yeah I forgot they got nuked

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
kubo and second half naruto (poo poo even some of the stuff after the chuunin exams were bad) kishi are both terrible writers and i need another example of SJ editor meddling that cant be explained with bad writing

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Assassination Classroom bringing back characters from the dead and just going 'ok he's alive somehow' and loving with the really powerful chapters where Nagisa deals with his abusive mother.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

It'd be great if the next chapter was just a slow zoom out of an increasingly long lineup of characters watching Deku sleep.

That dorm building is pretty high, only characters who can climb, fly, or levitate can spy on Deku.
Which means most of his classmates can spy on him.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Comixology has all the currently published volumes on sale at the moment! Time to fill up your Kindle device with good reading times.

Also obviously what's going to happen is Aoyama is going to confess to Deku, starting a string of confessions in time for Valentines/White Day jokes

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Say Nothing posted:

That dorm building is pretty high, only characters who can climb, fly, or levitate can spy on Deku.

An entire page of Bakugou just hovering angrily with explosion jets, glaring at a sleeping Deku.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

An entire page of Bakugou just hovering angrily with explosion jets, glaring at a sleeping Deku.

The entire class takes it in turns to spy on Deku.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Aoyama's room is right next door to Midoriya.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

Aoyama - Has a room right next to Deku
Mina - Can create viscuous acid to stick herself onto the wall outside Deku's room and spy on Deku through the window
Tsuyu - Can frog-jump high and cling onto wall / window outside Deku's room
Tenya - No apparent spying ability
Ochako - Can levitate herself and spy on Deku through the window
Ojiro - Can use his tail to cling onto wall / window outside Deku's room
Kaminari - No apparent spying ability
Kirishima - No apparent spying ability
Koji - Can command bugs to infiltrate Deku's room to spy on Deku
Sato - No apparent spying ability
Shoji - Can create ears on his tentacles to listen in on Deku
Kyoka - Can use her ear-extensions to listen in on Deku
Tokoyami - Can fly with his shadow-bird and spy on Deku through the window
Todoroki - Can create ice to elevate himself and spy on Deku through the window
Toru - Is already spying on Deku in every panel where you don't see her
Bakugou - Can levitate himself with explosions and spy on Deku through the window
Mineta - Has the other room right next to Deku. Can also attach himself to wall / window outside Deku's room with his sticky balls
Yaoyorozu - Can create any number and kind of spy equipment with her Quirk to spy on Deku

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sandwiched between a stalker and a Mineta, that poor kid.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Kaminari bugged deku's room night 1

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread is the traitor

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The traitor is the friends we made along the way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

drjuggalo posted:

kubo and second half naruto (poo poo even some of the stuff after the chuunin exams were bad) kishi are both terrible writers and i need another example of SJ editor meddling that cant be explained with bad writing

Literally everything about the Cell saga in DBZ after the initial setup was the result of an editor telling Toriyama that gero/the androids/imperfect cell weren't good enough and that he had to jazz poo poo up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Literally everything about the Cell saga in DBZ after the initial setup was the result of an editor telling Toriyama that gero/the androids/imperfect cell weren't good enough and that he had to jazz poo poo up.

Oh yeah, that's a good example. 19 and 20 were meant to be the actual androids (well, cyborg, in the case of the latter), but Toriyama's editor thought that "an old man and a China doll" were terrible villains. Hence, 17 and 18. The editor hated them too and thought they were just some brats or whatever. (This might be why 17 and 18 do very little actual villainy in the arc, at least in the main timeline, and hurt fewer people than nominal hero Vegeta, on a tangent. Edit: Actually, do they kill anyone besides Gero? They stole some stuff and hosed around a lot, and 18 blew up a forest out of impatience, but I can't remember if they killed anyone else.) Then came Imperfect Cell, and... The editor hated him too, if I recall correctly.

Another good SJ editor story, Yoshihiro Togashi's editor allegedly locked him in a hotel room until he finished the latest chapter of his manga once. I don't know if or how the guy interfered with the manga's content in a notable way ever, but, yeah.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That wasn't even Toriyama's current editor, it was his old editor that he still asked for opinions and dude didn't expect Toriyama to be listening to his feedback anymore.