Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't even remember this mission existing, when you talked about how terrible it is I was confused because I thought you were talking about the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Just stumbled in, and wow, I am really intrigued by this one. I never played it before, but I was a huge fan of AoE3 (and 2, obviously.) I can really see the influences this had on AoE 3, and while I still don't own this one to give it a try, it's making me want to go back and replay 3 again. Thanks, Melth!

Glad you like it!

I too enjoyed AoE3's campaign pretty well, and it always struck me as being influenced by my favorite RTS WC3 too. Ultimately though I felt like 3 fell flat and the campaign was too repetitive and dull. Plus I've always disliked RTSes where every faction is 95% the same, like age of empires.

SITB posted:

I didn't even remember this mission existing, when you talked about how terrible it is I was confused because I thought you were talking about the next one.

They kind of blur together don't they? It really feels like 2 parts of one (still bad) mission.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Melth posted:

Glad you like it!

I too enjoyed AoE3's campaign pretty well, and it always struck me as being influenced by my favorite RTS WC3 too. Ultimately though I felt like 3 fell flat and the campaign was too repetitive and dull. Plus I've always disliked RTSes where every faction is 95% the same, like age of empires.

They kind of blur together don't they? It really feels like 2 parts of one (still bad) mission.

Speaking of WC3, think you can LP that next? Jsor's LP is dead(again(again(a... you know, this joke's getting old))) and it looks like it might be for good this time.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Aumanor posted:

Speaking of WC3, think you can LP that next? Jsor's LP is dead(again(again(a... you know, this joke's getting old))) and it looks like it might be for good this time.

Possibly. I don't want to commit to anything yet, but WC3 is certainly my favorite game. I would need to figure out a good way to LP it though. Unlike AoM, WC3's campaign maps often have huge numbers of great places to explore and find things so I tend not to play through it all that fast.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Time to seal the norse gate!

Fall of the Trident Mission 29: Unlikely Heroes

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The next mission is my absolute favorite.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I recall it being pretty entertaining.

The scene with the hammer slamming the door shut is still really clear in my memory. Everything you said about Nidhogg though isn't. Apparently even as a completely idiot this mission is so easy I never got to see that part.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never managed to beat it above normal difficulty. :downs:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

my dad posted:

The next mission is my absolute favorite.

I used to like it a lot too. Replaying it again now I find some downsides, but it's still pretty great.

Speaking of; does anybody have any topics about mechanics or story or mythology or anything else they want me to hit in the next episode?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

I used to like it a lot too. Replaying it again now I find some downsides, but it's still pretty great.

Speaking of; does anybody have any topics about mechanics or story or mythology or anything else they want me to hit in the next episode?
Since it's a defence style mission, could you talk about the somewhat obscure mechanic of damage multiplying across wall sections?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I'm missing a bit is talking about the myths of the minor gods (and their units) you choose; with Greece everyone knows their stories but I think it's a bit more obscure in Egypt and Scandinavia.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Asehujiko posted:

Since it's a defence style mission, could you talk about the somewhat obscure mechanic of damage multiplying across wall sections?

Didn’t I do that in mission 7 or so? Where I demonstrated with hydras?

anilEhilated posted:

One thing I'm missing a bit is talking about the myths of the minor gods (and their units) you choose; with Greece everyone knows their stories but I think it's a bit more obscure in Egypt and Scandinavia.

Alright, I can do a bit of that. Maybe recount a myth or two.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

Didn’t I do that in mission 7 or so? Where I demonstrated with hydras?

You mention that damaging walls damages nearby walls but not that walls under attack will synchronise their hp to that of their lowest neighbour, leading to the situation that damage from a siege unit attacking in one place can be spread across it's entire length by other units attacking elsewhere.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, so adding a couple peasants hitting walls will create huge holes when they fall? Why did they spend effort creating that feature? It just sounds like it exists for abuse if you know about it and that's it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, so adding a couple peasants hitting walls will create huge holes when they fall? Why did they spend effort creating that feature? It just sounds like it exists for abuse if you know about it and that's it.

It makes wall breaches extra-catastrophic and makes turtle busting more viable, and RTS's always need more way to bust turtles. (I don't like it either but you really need a way to make sure the "15 minutes no rush" players realize they are playing completely wrong and need to expand or die.)

And it is entirely undocumented because RTS's, especially mid 00's, make a sport of not telling you how they work.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Poil posted:

I've never managed to beat it above normal difficulty. :downs:

Don't feel shame in that. Take it from someone who regularly feels inadequate in gaming. Even the jump from Normal to Hard can be rough. And Titan regularly tends towards the BS.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 13, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Don't feel shame in that. Take it from someone who regularly feels inadequate in gaming. Even the jump from Normal to Hard can be rough. And Titan regularly tends towards the BS.
Yeah. Weirdly enough I had no real problems beating the rest of the game on hard. Titan always seemed way above my skill level, and judging by all these videos: it was/is.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

Yeah. Weirdly enough I had no real problems beating the rest of the game on hard. Titan always seemed way above my skill level, and judging by all these videos: it was/is.

You haven't seen anything yet! I remember my first time frolicking through the campaign on titan only to slam into the brick wall of The New Atlantis Chapter 1. Of course nowadays most TNA missions are easy for me, but I still adore that campaign.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Melth I gave someone I know on IRC a link to your Youtube channel and they're loving this LP (and so am I, btw), and say they wish you'd LP more RTS games in the future.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey Melth I gave someone I know on IRC a link to your Youtube channel and they're loving this LP (and so am I, btw), and say they wish you'd LP more RTS games in the future.

Thanks!

You know, I used to regard this next mission as one of my favorites but now I find I'm procrastinating it like a chore because there's really no possible way to cut the duration down.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Melth posted:

Thanks!

You know, I used to regard this next mission as one of my favorites but now I find I'm procrastinating it like a chore because there's really no possible way to cut the duration down.

x2 speedups plus chicken dance music often does the trick

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Slaan posted:

x2 speedups plus chicken dance music often does the trick

I dunno, I feel like trying to hum for 30 minutes while I play would only make it feel longer.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

I dunno, I feel like trying to hum for 30 minutes while I play would only make it feel longer.

Just to check, the next map is a defend map right?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just go with the traditional way of making defend maps interesting: Destroy the enemy base.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'd be interested to see if there is a way to cheese it. Like how you could with the final mission of Warcraft 3 where you could win in like 5 minutes by building a fuckton of towers and suiciding the human keep.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Lord Windy posted:

I'd be interested to see if there is a way to cheese it. Like how you could with the final mission of Warcraft 3 where you could win in like 5 minutes by building a fuckton of towers and suiciding the human keep.

Oh it’s easier than that. Just don’t build the town center they tell you to and gargarensis will leave you alone forever as you build up an enormous army and then crush him unopposed. But that takes forever and is against the spirit of this LP

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

SirSamVimes posted:

Just go with the traditional way of making defend maps interesting: Destroy the enemy base.

anilEhilated posted:

Check and check! Poor Gargarensis doesn't do so well trying to survive 20 minutes against me:

Fall of the Trident Mission 30: All is Not Lost

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That was a really great video. Good job. I especially loved your thinking on the myths. You are absolutely correct. The Norse have some great Gods that should have been treated way better in the stories, but the Greeks had terrible Gods that were complete dicks, but still venerated. Besides the the fact that we lack a bunch of information about the Viking deities but have a ton of Greco-Roman documents left, that might account for why the stories aren't told as much. We find stories about dicks doing rear end in a top hat things more interesting in general than good people fighting the good fight even though they are doomed to fail. It's too bad, the Norse myths have some really cool stuff.

Has anyone picked up the Neil Gaiman Norse Mythology book he came out with recently? It looks really interesting, but I'm not sure its worth the $20 or so it was on sale for when I last checked.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That was a good breaking. :allears:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Huh, Titan mode is supposed to be pretty hard but I think the real Age of Mythology hard mode would be to play as Gargarensis against Melth. What kind of monster would destroy one of your bases before you're allowed to really start the mission?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Slaan posted:

Has anyone picked up the Neil Gaiman Norse Mythology book he came out with recently? It looks really interesting, but I'm not sure its worth the $20 or so it was on sale for when I last checked.

Bought it, read it, enjoyed it, recommend it. Your mileage may vary.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Slaan posted:

The audio book is fantastic. Gaiman actually narrates it and you can absolutely hear how much he loves the myths. If you've got Amazon prime you can get the audio book for free, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Half of Norse mythology could be summarized as "Loki had sex with a WHAT?!"

Rick Riordan had a good deal of fun with that. Two of the main characters are children of Loki. Loki was the father for one of them, and the mother for the other.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hang on, I think Cream wrote a song about this. 'The tales of late Ulysses'.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Cythereal posted:

Half of Norse mythology could be summarized as "Loki had sex with a WHAT?!"

In a battle between Zeus and Loki who would win then?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunethex posted:

In a battle between Zeus and Loki who would win then?

Zeus probably in terms of sheer number, Loki in creativity and variety - including turning into a woman or female animal and having sex with men and male animals. Then giving birth.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I can just imagine Odin and Thor giving each other the look and facepalming every time Loki comes over

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
"Arkantos! I couldn't let you have all the glory."

"Boy, do I have bad news for you :smuggo:"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Carpator Diei posted:

"Arkantos! I couldn't let you have all the glory."

"Boy, do I have bad news for you :smuggo:"

The mental image of Odysseus arriving with an army of heavy cavalry to come to the rescue only to find the smouldering ruins of Gargarensis' fortresses is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If you wanted to, you could save a little bit of time demolishing the red/purple base by having your ballistae shoot over the rocks and take out half the front gates, one of the rear gates and one tower.

• Locked thread