Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ginette Reno posted:

Went Bhelen. He's much better as a King than Harrowmont. And yeah I used that Aeducan shield for pretty much the whole game since I went sns.

I played as a dwarf noble in DA:O and I really, really wanted to loving stab Bhelen in the face. I understand it's dwarf society to do that kinda poo poo but holy gently caress he killed his dad and older brother and framed the PC for it. That's some dick moves right there, man.

I picked Harrowmont only because he didn't try to frame me for the murder of my father and older brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

John Dyne posted:

I played as a dwarf noble in DA:O and I really, really wanted to loving stab Bhelen in the face. I understand it's dwarf society to do that kinda poo poo but holy gently caress he killed his dad and older brother and framed the PC for it. That's some dick moves right there, man.

I picked Harrowmont only because he didn't try to frame me for the murder of my father and older brother.

It's pretty in character for a dwarf noble not to be mad that Bhelen did it, but did it first.

Orzammar's politics, even the brief amount we see, really put Orlais and ~The Game~ to shame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cole and Sera are the most uneven of the bros in DAI. Their good lines/scenes are really good, but every now and then they say something that's just awful.

On balance I liked them both a lot tho.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's pretty in character for a dwarf noble not to be mad that Bhelen did it, but did it first.

Orzammar's politics, even the brief amount we see, really put Orlais and ~The Game~ to shame.

Oh yeah, I would kill for a game of just being a noble rear end in a top hat in Orzammar.

I mean the bit where Gorim just offhand mentions "That fool has no idea how weak his house is or how low he sit's in it. Shall I have him killed your grace?" And being able to just straight up play a very brutal game of "gently caress up the other noble" is always good fun.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

John Dyne posted:

My Dwarf Noble was a nice guy but he also wanted to do what was best for the Dwarven people and he knew of all people that Harrowmont would suck.

Bhelen is a prick but Bhelen gives more rights to the casteless and is willing to open trade with the surface. Harrowmont doubles down on traditionalist bullshit and puts the Dwarves in an even worse spot. Plus by DA:I we learn that Bhelen continued to search for the Dwarf Noble when he went missing and Harrowmont yielded to pressure from the assembly and declared the DN dead. Harrowmont is nice and noble and all that but he's worse for the Dwarves over all.

In Da2 I went with humorist mage Hawke and picked the humor option every time even when it was vastly inappropriate. Humor Hawke if you stick 100% to it almost comes off a sociopath sometimes (and at the least a bit of an rear end in a top hat) but I enjoyed that playthrough. If/when I go through DA2 again I'll probably do Aggressive Hawke Warrior since a lot of people say that's fun. I liked Mark of the Assassin a lot. Some people find Tallis annoying but I found her ok. The Duke is a fun villain and that final boss fight is probably my favorite boss encounter in the series. It took me a few tries to crack it on Nightmare but it was very satisfying when I did. I actually like DA2.

Inquisition I'm going with Female Elf Mage for the whole Solas thing. Plus I like the idea of having a Dwarf, Human, and Elf hero in my storyline. If Da4 comes and allows multiple races I'll go Qunari.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
rear end in a top hat Hawke is canon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I still have yet to play Inquisition.

When I do, I fully plan on making my first playthrough of both Origins and 2 canon, though I admittedly don't remember a lot of the choices I made. I know I was a Human Noble who romanced Morrigan, had the old god baby and followed her through the Eluvian, but a lot beyond that, I've forgotten a lot. I know I spared the Architect in Awakening, but if I'd read that one novel before playing Awakening, I would probably have killed him instead.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hawke making people as uncomfortable as possible as much as possible is canon.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I've played ~16 hours of Inquisition so far, and save for the introduction and exploring Haven, all of it has been being a completionist dickhead in the Hinterlands.

That and maybe an hour or so of trying to find multiplayer matches, getting two or three total, and being sad that this 3 year old game's multiplayer is dead. :saddowns:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
leave the hinterlands

e: the MP was pretty dead 3 years ago too. it never took off because it is poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

leave the hinterlands

e: the MP was pretty dead 3 years ago too. it never took off because it is poo poo.

I remember Me3's multiplayer being decently fun but don't remember Inqusitions being all that memorable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ginette Reno posted:

I remember Me3's multiplayer being decently fun but don't remember Inqusitions being all that memorable.

It was incredibly bad. The basic idea was actually cool - the need to constantly move and "dungeon crawl" was great and ironically showed up in a much better form in one of the later maps they added to Andromeda's MP. But the enemies were all massive HP sponges, fights were chaotic messes because nobody really used synergy or teamwork (to be fair, doing so didn't improve the experience anyway). The grind to merely unlock classes to play as was insane, making retention really hard unless you just loved the base classes (and they were all pretty boring). Getting a good weapon was somehow even more unlikely than ME3/AMP. And on and on. It's a fascinating study in "how to make something that pretty much nobody could ever possibly enjoy".

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Multiplayer in this game requires more teamwork and coordination than ME3's or ME:A's. That means plugged in headsets.

It's different when everyone has firearms, y'know?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I disagree, doing Platinum in 3 or A requires a ton of teamwork unless you're one of those weirdos who could solo Plat with a Drell Adept.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

The biggest problem with Inquisition's multiplayer for me was always down to the boss fights. Even when you can beat them, they're just unfun slogs. And when you can't, they rip right through you with no real sense of learning from the experience or being able to pinpoint what you did wrong.

Especially that goddamn demon commander. :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Generic American posted:

The biggest problem with Inquisition's multiplayer for me was always down to the boss fights. Even when you can beat them, they're just unfun slogs. And when you can't, they rip right through you with no real sense of learning from the experience or being able to pinpoint what you did wrong.

Especially that goddamn demon commander. :argh:

goddamn yes very much this. gently caress that guy. the boss imbalance was massive, some were quite easy (but boring slogs) and demon guy was just like "lol PARTY WIPE"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah one of the matches I had was against a red templar commander and there was no indication that he was going to gently caress me up as hard as he did. I raised my shield, waddled up to him, and he just knocked me on my rear end and kept spinning until I was dead.

The end fights always being like huge slogs against a massive wave of enemies also sucked. The MP looked kinda fun but yeah I've realized it's dead and I will never get to play it. :saddowns: I liked being the dwarf tank dude, too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I have a friend who still plays the MP on PS4. Every once in a blue moon I'll join him for a match and the community is so small at this point he knows if the other people are good or bad just by name.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, crap, I just found out what happens in Origins if you set up a human noble warden to rule as Queen beside Alistair, then he dies against the Archdemon.

All that trouble, and Anora just gets her throne back. Crap. Now I don't know HOW I wanna end this. I mean... I may stay the course anyway, if only to finally get that "see all endings" achievement...

EDIT: Unrelated, I have reloaded my save every time my main character falls in battle so far this game. I have not let them fall and then proceed once. I have also not yet visited Orzammar, and thus Jammer's Stash is not responsible for the following: My character has, despite never falling in battle (as far as the savegames are concerned), acquired four injuries over the course of the game. Any idea how this may have happened? And if it will deny me the "clear X far without falling in battle" achievements?

EDIT 2: Incidentally, I have officially become convinced that if Leliana is not in your party the first time you talk to the Nug Wrangler or when you turn in the first nug, it permanently locks you out of acquiring her pet Nug gift. She's at 95 affection, I have completed her quest, talked to her in Orzammar, asked her what she knows, talked to the Idle dwarf before and after talking to her and taking every option available, asked her what she knows about the area in multiple different areas of Orzammar, and nothing. She simply will not mention the bloody things. It's the only thing I can think of at this point. She has to be present when you talk to that damnable nug wrangler.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 23, 2018

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

My Dwarf Noble was a nice guy but he also wanted to do what was best for the Dwarven people and he knew of all people that Harrowmont would suck.

Bhelen is a prick but Bhelen gives more rights to the casteless and is willing to open trade with the surface. Harrowmont doubles down on traditionalist bullshit and puts the Dwarves in an even worse spot. Plus by DA:I we learn that Bhelen continued to search for the Dwarf Noble when he went missing and Harrowmont yielded to pressure from the assembly and declared the DN dead. Harrowmont is nice and noble and all that but he's worse for the Dwarves over all.

Inquisition I'm going with Female Elf Mage for the whole Solas thing. Plus I like the idea of having a Dwarf, Human, and Elf hero in my storyline. If Da4 comes and allows multiple races I'll go Qunari.

You mentioned many of the reasons Bhelan is awesome but the ending outright states that Bhelan brings about a renewal for the Dwarven empire. The Dwarven kingdoms evolving past the well worn Tolkein faded empire is a far richer ground to build future games. They are reclaiming lost Thaigs but still have a ton of work to go for. Bhelan encourages new technology , trade and societal change... sometimes forcing it at swordpoint. Harrowmont just sits with things how they always have been and will be. It was brutal to let him die but Bhelan was right... the tree needed pruning. I liked my conversations with Bhelan. I supported him because he was my brother and because he really was the best possible future for his people. The eldest brother stiff and unmoving would have damned his people. The prideful glory hogging older brother, who crashed his own celebration to show he was the best champion? The main character? Sure he looks glorious but would have been the short sighted poorer choice. I liked the character arc. You have learned walking the road of the warden to be less selfish. By embracing that and setting aside what felt emotionally and personally right, you end up saving your people. You become a true champion of the Dwarves. Beautiful bit of writing. Seriously hope that future games keep going with Bhelan as canon choice as having a possibly technologically advanced third empire under the earth could be riveting stuff. A third empire that is growing and wants to keep expanding. That used to be pals with the Tevinter and could help shift the balance of power. It would be interesting to see if the Qunari try and adopt a more progressive tactic as opposed to the usual "convert or die". Rich with possibilities.... granted I'm a total Dwarf fan. Yeah.... Origins canon for me is Dwarf. If, in DA4, they let me play a Dwarven ambassador to try and play each side for the benefit of House Aeducan/find the lost brother then I am sold. Just hope they avoid the Carta... let me play a proper soldier for the Empire. I will name him Londo.

ME3 multi was a blast playing against any race but the Collectors. Those fuckers were cheap and annoying. But playing a Salarian or Geth sold me. Was annoying waiting for the race/class unlocks but they made it fun to play what I could until I got them. DAI multi? Even worse grind and unlocks seemed more brutal. Gameplay was just not that fun. It died quick.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I went with Harrowmont first but knowing that Bhelen is by the word of the ending the better choice for the dwarves I really can't not go with him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Von_Doom posted:

You mentioned many of the reasons Bhelan is awesome but the ending outright states that Bhelan brings about a renewal for the Dwarven empire. The Dwarven kingdoms evolving past the well worn Tolkein faded empire is a far richer ground to build future games. They are reclaiming lost Thaigs but still have a ton of work to go for.

And of course the fact that you are allowed to make such a big difference means that the choice will only ever have any effect on the ending slides of a given game. It's too big a drat thing to have a meaningful effect on any of the actual games because much like the godchild, the games have to take into account the people who didn't make that choice.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Sad truth is, Bioware is eventually going to have to settle on a single canon if they want to keep making games in the future of the Dragon Age Setting without avoiding areas that have already been featured, because the choices the players make are so far-reaching and impactful.

They will either have to settle on a single world-state canon, and leave players who made other choices behind, or simply stop moving the story forward after a point, because the World States will be too drastically different to account for them all as things move forward.

Incidentally, I found a program that reads your save files and tells you what choices you made in Origins, very helpful for people who don't REMEMBER what they did in Origins, but want their Dragon Age Keep world state to be accurate to what they did. Does anyone know of such a save file reader for Dragon age 2? It's been so long that I don't *remember* what I did, but I want the World State to be accurate to what I did in a given playthrough, rather than simply guess and make the decision over again.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 24, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

BlazetheInferno posted:

Incidentally, I found a program that reads your save files and tells you what choices you made in Origins, very helpful for people who don't REMEMBER what they did in Origins, but want their Dragon Age Keep world state to be accurate to what they did. Does anyone know of such a save file reader for Dragon age 2? It's been so long that I don't *remember* what I did, but I want the World State to be accurate to what I did in a given playthrough, rather than simply guess and make the decision over again.

Ah, shoot. I had a program like that but I can’t remember the name. Here’s footage of it in action though

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

And of course the fact that you are allowed to make such a big difference means that the choice will only ever have any effect on the ending slides of a given game. It's too big a drat thing to have a meaningful effect on any of the actual games because much like the godchild, the games have to take into account the people who didn't make that choice.

Red... blue...

... green?

BlazetheInferno posted:

Sad truth is, Bioware is eventually going to have to settle on a single canon if they want to keep making games in the future of the Dragon Age Setting without avoiding areas that have already been featured, because the choices the players make are so far-reaching and impactful.

They will either have to settle on a single world-state canon, and leave players who made other choices behind, or simply stop moving the story forward after a point, because the World States will be too drastically different to account for them all as things move forward.

No, my precious precious choices really matter, you see. Not like yours.

Also, isn't that basically The Keep? IIRC, Varric will read you a nice story about what you've done so far there. Unless what you're talking about is a far more granular thing.

You can have multiple saved games at The Keep and select one as The Good One You Like. At least that's what I remember.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Also, isn't that basically The Keep? IIRC, Varric will read you a nice story about what you've done so far there. Unless what you're talking about is a far more granular thing.

The problem is, the Keep doesn't actually import your choices. You have to enter them all manually, or else take the defaults. All the small decisions like sidequests, who you romanced, who you sided with on various main quests, all of it goes to a default until you enter what you prefer.

Without a way to go back and look at their save file and see how they resolved the issues asked about in the Keep's World State Tapestry, players who've forgotten what they did must either guess, or simply make the decision over again. I've found such a program that lets me look back at Origins/Awakening save files (and specifically lists off the factors that the Keep asks about), now I'm hoping to find one for DA2.

As long as I can keep carrying my save file forward, I want it to at least be *my save file*. Not what I can remember or guess of what I did years later.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 24, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

The problem is, the Keep doesn't actually import your choices. You have to enter them all manually, or else take the defaults. All the small decisions like sidequests, who you romanced, who you sided with on various main quests, all of it goes to a default until you enter what you prefer.

Without a way to go back and look at their save file and see how they resolved the issues asked about in the Keep's World State Tapestry, players who've forgotten what they did must either guess, or simply make the decision over again. I've found such a program that lets me look back at Origins/Awakening save files (and specifically lists off the factors that the Keep asks about), now I'm hoping to find one for DA2.

As long as I can keep carrying my save file forward, I want it to at least be *my save file*. Not what I can remember or guess of what I did years later.
That's not true, though :confused: If you've linked your Origin account it does import saves, even from console.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://kotaku.com/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts-1822380989

so basicaly they have turned all their focus(to the extent of pushing all manpower/resources to one studio) on destiny, i mean anthem. but what interested me was this line.

quote:

There are still small teams maintaining Star Wars: The Old Republic and piecing together the next Dragon Age, which was recently rebooted,

sounds like after the poo poo show of andromada, they had to rip up 4 and start from scratch. i think bioware is hosed.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Guh. What a shitshow.

edit:

from article posted:

The past year has been tumultuous for BioWare and involved some major changes to the studio. One was to reboot the fourth Dragon Age, which at the time was code-named Joplin, according to two sources. (There’s a running theme here—Anthem’s codename was Dylan.) The goal, those sources said, was to implement more “live” elements into the game, although two of those sources stressed that this next Dragon Age will still have a heavy focus on characters and story, whenever it does come out. It’s not clear what a “live” version of Dragon Age might look like, but EA has been public about its embrace of games as a service, and its lack of interest in releasing $60 games that do not have any sort of revenue tail, whether that means paid extra content, microtransactions, or something else.
none of this sounds good.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
God loving damnit EA, could you not kill every franchise I like? Keep up with this poo poo and you won't have any revenue at all when people stop buying your lootbox extravaganzas.

e: I'm one of those people who will buy DLC when it comes out at full price if I like the game, so getting another $30-$45 out of me on top of the $60 launch price seems like a decent revenue stream as opposed to me never buying a lootbox ever.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Dragon Age has to be the longest running game franchise where the company has no idea what to do with it and every sequel's dev cycle is a compromised shitshow. It's amazing any of these have been any good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Randallteal posted:

Dragon Age has to be the longest running game franchise where the company has no idea what to do with it and every sequel's dev cycle is a compromised shitshow. It's amazing any of these have been any good.
DA has had a pretty steady team though, at least as far as writers. Should have known things were going tits up when Gaider left.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

:rip: Bioware

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I would hope rebooting DA4 would be a reaction to the criticisms of Inquisition and Andromeda being more like Ubisoft map completion games instead of RPGs. But it's actually about adding in "Live" elements. That doesn't sound good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Randallteal posted:

The first game was really good. But I guess "We want to do Baldurs Gate in 3D in our own universe" is a pretty solid design decision.

Obsidian and CD PROJEKT are where western RPGs are now I guess, no more Bioware. I'll miss how good the companions were.

quote:

I would hope rebooting DA4 would be a reaction to the criticisms of Inquisition and Andromeda being more like Ubisoft map completion games instead of RPGs. But it's actually about adding in "Live" elements. That doesn't sound good.
It's honestly poo poo that Bioware has turned into "What's popular? Do that.". I guess that's the fault of EA.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
It's interesting to see the way game design has evolved for sandbox-ey games. In Inquisition they put in map completion/doodad gathering that felt like Assassin's Creed, and MMO style quest design. In the latest AC game it's the former, and lootboxes, which are all the rage in all parts of the industry. What wondrous garbage will the future hold for DA4 (coming to mobile platforms 2020, apple pay integrated)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

It's interesting to see the way game design has evolved for sandbox-ey games. In Inquisition they put in map completion/doodad gathering that felt like Assassin's Creed, and MMO style quest design. In the latest AC game it's the former, and lootboxes, which are all the rage in all parts of the industry. What wondrous garbage will the future hold for DA4 (coming to mobile platforms 2020, apple pay integrated)

I wish designers would follow the choices Witcher 3 makes. That game has a gently caress load of content but almost all of it is interesting. Even the side quests in that game have good writing and intriguing hooks. I was totally blown away by how they managed to do that because a lot of times side quests in games can feel like busy work or have lazy writing. Not so for the Witcher.

A DA game made in that style would own

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's not true, though :confused: If you've linked your Origin account it does import saves, even from console.

It imports the characters. It does not import any of the choices made by those characters.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

It imports the characters. It does not import any of the choices made by those characters.
Mine did, pretty sure. At work, but when I can get on my own computer I'll pull it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My sister got into Yakuza recently and it’s pretty telling when every time I see something new I think “now why the hell can we not have a DA game like that.” Faster fights that still have different styles/skill trees, management mini games where you build skills of employees and get to play dress up, side quests that play out further than “oh, sorry this person you were looking for died,” and an overarching political plot based on loyalty and greed (oh hi Orlais, not nice seeing you).

At the rate it’s going with BioWare I’d almost wish they’d never touch the characters again beyond some sort of Overwatch-style multiplayer where the playerbase/fandom ignores the story and follows their own ideas about post-DAI stuff.