Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm quite used to Mario Kart AI being bullshit by now, but it's generally been the old garden-variety rubberband AI bullshit and I don't remember the CPU racers actively teaming up and working together against the player. Then I started playing Mario Kart DS for the first time and saw multiple instances of the AI driver in 2nd or 3rd firing a red shell behind them just to gently caress me over for being there, instead of firing it at the guy in front and trying to win the race. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I loved how in the original MarioKart, if you had the AI racers finish a race outside the intended order, they'd more or less stay like that for the rest of the circuit. I usually played Luigi, so loving Yoshi over as badly as I could was as important to me as actually winning, and I helped out Koopa Troopa whenever I could. :unsmith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I usually play Koopa Troopa in Super Mario Kart, which is probably not the best idea because his designated rival is Luigi. Somehow, having one of the guys who can use an invincibility star whenever he feels like it (and loves to spam the everliving poo poo out of that ability) as the super beefed up AI opponent doesn't feel particularly fair or balanced. :v:

I think I'll switch to Toad the next time I play SMK, at least he only needs to contend with Princess Peach spamming poison mushrooms.

edit: I never quite figured out how the Grand Prix star rating system in Mario Kart Super Circuit worked (I assumed you just needed to win and collect a lot of coins, but that obviously wasn't the case), but fortunately the Mario Wiki has all the information you need:

quote:

⭐⭐⭐: The player must score first consistently in the GP races and has fulfilled the requirements as stated below.
⭐⭐

A: The player has collected all 36 points.
B: The player has collected at least 30 points.
C: The player has collected at least 25 points.
D: The player has collected at least 20 points.
E: The player has not fulfilled the above stated requirements.
Several factors account for a hidden score, which then translates to a rank.[3]

The more coins collected, the higher the score.
The player's time on each lap. Points are awarded depending on the time and are never deducted.
The more times and longer players hit the brakes, the lower their score. This does not count if players brake to avoid a slip from a Banana Peel.
The more times and longer players let go of the acceleration button, the lower their score.
Using Triple Red Shells, Stars, and Lightning Bolts decreases the score, with the Star decreasing the score the most.
If Lakitu must pick up the player, the score is lowered. Initiating the mini-turbo at the correct time will negate it somewhat, however.
The more times players hit enemy racers or obstacles, their score is lowered. Hitting walls slightly decreases the score more.
Getting hit by items lowers the score.
Using one life for a retry severely decreases the score for the remainder of the Grand Prix.
The more time the player spends outside the track, the lower their score.
Starting the race with a boost increases the score.
Initiating more drift mini-turbos increases the score.
Passing an item box while already having an item (but not deployed yet) increases the score.
Picking certain characters can also affect the score, giving bonus points. This is because some have less grip on the road than others, so the game rewards characters with the least grip the most points.
Bowser (45 points)
Wario (40 points)
Donkey Kong (40 points)
Mario (30 points)
Luigi (30 points)
Princess Peach (10 points)
Toad (10 points)
Yoshi (0 points)
The fact I always play the old Mario Kart games as one of the lighter characters would partially explain why I've literally never earned a three-star rating in Super Circuit (and only once in Mario Kart DS). :eng99: Also, good loving luck not getting hit by items in Mario Kart!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 20, 2018

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

new retro roundtable is out, lots of really interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnaVZvNOzN4

At about 20 mins in Voultar reveals his new GBA backlight mod, I’m stoked :dance:

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 20, 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Sounds like something that already exists
https://www.retromodding.com/blogs/tutorials/voltage-regulator-connection-guide

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Most of voultar's stuff already exists, he just does it better, smaller, and more efficient.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

Sega Aero Table

Jaleco Table Pony

SNK Candy 26

oh my god :swoon:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My latest haul. Super pumped about finding a deal in tyool 2018.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

oh my god :swoon:

honestly as cool as they are as pieces of furniture, it seems like a really uncomfortable way to play more complex games. Tables ended up as the default in Japan during most of the 80's thanks to the space invaders boom, where you had "invader houses" which were kinda like cafes where the tables were space invaders cocktails. they sold drinks and maybe food and stuff

The form factor stuck around as invader houses became game centers but normal cabs started taking over right around the time when arcade games started getting more complicated and graphically detailed. It turns out a table is just kind of a crappy way to really appreciate the game images and view all parts of the screen. The newer high end tables I posted stuck around for places where the table format made sense, like restaurants or bars or whatever, but in game centers the newest games were mostly always on normal cabs, though the old style smaller tables stuck around for older single screen games and were also very popular for stuff like mahjong or hanafuda games. you can still see tables in some nostalgia type places in Japan, usually playing more "chill" games

I definitely want a table, but I'm not sure I would really pay what people ask for the more modern ones with huge screens like the aero table. I would probably go for one of the smaller "normal" ones and only run older games on it. I think my bomb jack and road fighter boards would be awesome in one, or something like sega tetris like the one pictured up there

edit:

Here's a section of the 1992 Sanwa catalog showing a typical table kit:

The control panels were purchased separate to suit whatever game you wanted to put in

This was a lot cheaper and more space saving than a normal cab, by 1992 this was an option more for some small shop or cafe or something that wanted a video game rather than something you'd see in a real game center

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 21, 2018

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Little story: so, my first Gyruss experience was a cocktail version in a Round Table Pizza circa 1984/1985. I have not seen a Gyruss cocktail in the wild ever since.

Until today.

I spotted this little guy at the Retro City Festival in Pomona, CA. For half the day, it spent without a credit. I bugged Jay (the dude that owns half the cabs on the SC3 side of the building) to pump creds into it for me when he had the chance, and he obliged.

It’s not in the best shape, and when I looked at the base, covered in webs and so forth. The joystick on P1 was sluggish as hell for the first few hours, but got better with play (storage rust).

So I started asking around - is this to be sold? Am I gonna have myself a four-year-old Wise Fwom Yo Gwave’s dream come true?

Then, later in the day...

Ah hell no. Hell no. Will not do. Not when I already have a proper cab that was $300 in 2014 when I bought it, and in better condition!

But a boy can dream.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I once saw a Defender cocktail in a pawn shop for like $400. Same one I bought my 3DO from for $20.

Of course this was, like, 15 years ago or more.

I did find NES Klax CIB at Goodwill for 4 bucks recently.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

flyboi posted:

...I may have a PC Engine controller addiction :o:

:stare:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have that same problem but with N64 controllers. I’m the Indiana Jones of finding a good reliable N64 analog stick.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have that same problem but with N64 controllers. I’m the Indiana Jones of finding a good reliable N64 analog stick.

It belongs in a museum! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just don't go near the golden idol controllers until I get around to getting one :toughguy:.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just don't go near the golden idol controllers until I get around to getting one :toughguy:.

(Meticulously prepares to swap it with a $15 Madcatz controller with a little sleight of hand, confident no one will notice)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*gets chased out of swap meet by obese pro Smash player rolling after you for a controller with a specific defect needed to play at the top levels of the tournaments*

Now that I think about it, that’s more of a GameCube problem but still.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

obese pro Smash player rolling after you

fuckin lolling irl

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I wen't over to my sister's house today because she thought she still had a box load of NES carts. Unfortunately she didn't, but we did find something cool along with the old toys, old art projects and Penthouse stashes.

First up we have an Atari 2600 with a few games, a touch pad controller with a Star Raiders insert, and a "Video Game Organizer" It even has a lid you can put over it when your not using it.

Next we have a second Atari 2600 that is filthy as hell. I'm gonna have to clean it if I even wanna attempt to use it. You can hear the dirt rattling around inside.

Here are all the other controllers I found with it. As you can see, one of the paddle controller unfortunately is missing the button on the side and the knob. I haven't touched a Atari much before, so i'm actually kind of shocked at how the stiff the joysticks are. Not sure though if thats just age or not though.

And then there was a Defender manual. In good condition actually. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a TV to actually play this stuff on. I'll have to find one if I wanna see if it all works. Also, the power adapter for it is a Radio Shack universal adapter that has multiple voltage settings. I'm afraid of shocking the thing if I set that thing wrong.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 21, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

First off, thank you for the write-up d0s. You and I seem to share retrogaming sub-interests so all this stuff is awesome and I enjoyed reading.

If I were a smart and capable human, I would want to start a resturant like this because I'm pretty sure it does not exist here. But honestly, unless the control panels are flip-down-able or something, it would be difficult to eat on tables like these.

e: I just remembered Midway made a version of Space Invaders specifically for cocktails, and it's 2p simultaneous - you can either help each other kill the aliens or play it competitively (by shooting the other player :getin:).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

If I were a smart and capable human, I would want to start a resturant like this because I'm pretty sure it does not exist here. But honestly, unless the control panels are flip-down-able or something, it would be difficult to eat on tables like these.

yeah it would work better as a cafe where the most food you get is like a pastry or something, which is what I think that place in the pic is. It would be really cool to have something like that in the US.

related to this, here's a video (in Japanese only sadly) that was just posted today of a tour of some Japanese guy's arcade collection. You see the normal cabs in the garage at the beginning and think "yeah, pretty cool" then they go inside the house and he's got a ton of extremely valuable old games in really well maintained cocktails, spread out around the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiqPBWFaaI

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

My wife and I went back to Retro City Festival today, and took a relevant photo of me!

She folded over the awful price tag. But the good feel was real, because after 1985, the only way I could play was with this:

They had not only a networked Dreamcast setup for Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, but they also had Typing of the Dead (my wife’s favorite video game; she was a police dispatcher, and she wipes the floor with anybody’s wpm).

This also happened:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare:

You can't fool me, that's a loving museum that's just closed for a holiday.

I too, have felt similar joy playing Typing of the Dead. :razz:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
*removed*

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 20, 2021

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

URL grey tea posted:

That looks SO much better than the SoCal Retro Gaming Expo we went to this weekend! I'll have to check this out next year.

Oh homey, that’s just Frank N Sons with a spit polish. Retro City was co-branded by SC3. When they go next year, do it so you can see poo poo like this:

Or this:

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I had no idea they made an orange Twin Famicom. Now I need one, drat you.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I too, have felt similar joy playing Typing of the Dead. :razz:
If one does not feel joy when playing Typing of the Dead, they may be emotionally dead inside.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/SEGANerds/status/955114102304792581

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't remember what our Sega CD cases looked like in Europe and I'm too lazy to look it up, but our Saturn cases weren't massively fragile. Some of the early ones were kind of crap, but later on they'd use what were basically slimmer Mega Drive boxes. Those have held up pretty well over the years, at least the ones I've got.

Our Dreamcast cases, on the other hand... well, those were a bit of a nightmare. They look pretty cool, but the plastic used for those cases is the single most brittle substance in the known universe and if you buy PAL DC games online, you should always be prepared to receive a box containing a game disc in a pile of broken clear and blue plastic shards.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I can't think of a company I'd want to do this less

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I can buy one Sega CD shell and then have them go out of stock forever and get scalped on ebay, yay.

They'll end up breaking too anyway, since the fragility was due to the general cheapness of the plastic you make jewel cases out of. Even the small size ones that later PSX and Dreamcast games came in were really fragile and most of mine have a crack or a broken hinge.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

I can buy one Sega CD shell and then have them go out of stock forever and get scalped on ebay, yay.
From LRG's owner or whoever on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/955417561591664640

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hopefully they'll bother to ship these incredibly fragile things better than they ship their other fragile things.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I went to a flea market in Mississippi with my wife this weekend and happened across the "Mississippi Game Store"

He probably had at least 50 of every console... as well as just piles and piles of obscure looking accessories and cool random poo poo. It was insane.

Oddly enough it's the biggest booth in the entire flea market.

I don't know why I didn't take pictures, but here's a small part of it (about 1/4th of scope):

The front cases are just loving *piled* with thousands of games for every system. It's nuts.

That picture is taken *over* the front cases, so you don't see them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I can't think of a company I'd want to do this less

I've never heard of these people, but I really need a couple of these. How bad are they at making/shipping things?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The incident that made me not want anything from them ever again involved them throwing a PS4 game in a thin bubble mailer that got busted up by the time it got to me. Getting a replacement took like a month, and then canceling a separate preorder I had with them took like two and a half (and they sent the item to me anyway after refunding the money, which they did in two halves because their support didn't actually know how).

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Alternative take: Limited Run Games has always shipped stuff to me promptly and it always arrives perfectly fine. They offer shipping boxes if you're super worried or are buying something that you really want to be 100% arrives absolutely pristine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe it would be cool if you had more than a minute tops to place an order with 99% of their stock so that I could actually add that to the order (and even be told it exists in the first place, not until after something dumb happens).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It looks like PS2 memory card adapters for the PS3 are still ridiculously overpriced. Mayflash makes one, but I can't find it anywhere. This leaves me with installing UlaunchELF to a USB drive and transferring my saves to it. Does anyone have experience with this? I think I have everything I need to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mill Village posted:

It looks like PS2 memory card adapters for the PS3 are still ridiculously overpriced. Mayflash makes one, but I can't find it anywhere. This leaves me with installing UlaunchELF to a USB drive and transferring my saves to it. Does anyone have experience with this? I think I have everything I need to do it.

I was able to use it to move some PS1 games over to the desktop for testing in ePSX a while back. One I find my memory stick I need to do this again to get my PS1 memory card saves over to the PSP GO when it arrives.