Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The South is a weird place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

woo we got Asante Samuels Jr!

gently caress his dad though. Dude left his mom, started a new family, went on Football Wives, never even acknowledged this kid exists
https://twitter.com/Tomahawknation/status/944320912106631169

If the UCLA/Miami/OSU number included #4 CB Olijiah Griffin he decommited from UCLA and named Tennessee his #1 yesterday. He had an OV to UT just before the dead period. He seems like a good player and all but who cares because his dad is Warren G!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
To say every [decent] program cheats is an understatement. But KJI is right. The 'whales,' so to speak, are pretty limited. Everyone works within the resources they have if they're actually trying to be competitive. I thought about making a list of random things I know programs have "had no knowledge of happening," but the shortest way to sum up the bulk majority of things is that you should always look at the margins. It's how schools interact with the influencers in the kids lives. Not the kids themselves. The kids are usually kept in the dark aside from the ludicrous amounts of team apparel they're showered with.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/blakemorganSEC/status/948670547457724417?s=17

:getin:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

The fact that Pruitt could feasibly pull in a Top 20 class is pretty amazing considering where this class was a few weeks ago.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The fact that Pruitt could feasibly pull in a Top 20 class is pretty amazing considering where this class was a few weeks ago.

He's annouced that he's committing on Saturday.

There's also this:

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2018/01/03/vols-contention-another-highly-rated-2018-linebacker/

quote:

Tennessee is already in on one highly-rated outside linebacker in the 2018 class. Now it appears they may be in on a second one.

The Vols are the favorites now to land four-star outside linebacker J.J. Peterson in the 2018 class. Peterson is ranked as the No. 44 overall prospect and 2nd-ranked outside linebacker in the class according to the 247Sports Composite. And now it appears the No. 3 outside linebacker in the 2018 cycle is also considering the Vols.

Quay Walker is a four-star prospect and the No. 65 overall recruit in the 2018 class per the 247Sports Composite. He is also from Georgia like Peterson, and hes currently committed to Alabama. Peterson was never committed to the Tide, but they were considered his favorites for a long time.

That is, until Jeremy Pruitt left for Tennessee.

Once Pruitt was hired as the Vols head coach and began recruiting for Tennessee, Peterson began to change his tune. Kevin Sherrer, who serves as Georgias outside linebackers coach and will reportedly be Pruitts defensive coordinator, has also been pivotal in Petersons recruitment. And now both are at Tennessee.

And just like with Peterson, Walker is starting to reconsider his options because of Pruitt and Sherrer.

In an interview with Chris Kirschner of SEC Country, Walker said hes unsure about his commitment to the Tide because of the departure of Pruitt.

I was looking forward to being coached by Coach Pruitt, Walker told Kirschner. That plays a big role in it. And then sometimes I hear rumors about Coach Derrick Ansley (Alabamas defensive backs coach) leaving. Thats my main recruiter, so its all about coaches that I can trust and that I know I can go to just in case I cant talk to my mom or something. I can go and talk to them.

So pretty much Coach Pruitt leaving, I heard rumors about Coach Ansley leaving, and my heart pretty much changed a little bit. Im not going to lie to you about it. Thats what happened, though.

Pruitt isnt the only Vol coach who has had an impact on Walker thus far, though. Kevin Sherrer recruited him hard at Georgia, and now hes recruiting him to Tennessee.

Ive had like five or six in-home visits with Coach Sherrer, Walker stated. As soon as he left and went to Tennessee, he came like two times. Thats going to be big.

Right now, Walker is scheduled to visit Florida on January 12th, Georgia on January 19th, and Auburn on January 28th. He hasnt planned an official visit to Tennessee yet, but hes expected to decide on his final visits in the near future.

It appears as though Walker may be deciding between Alabama and Tennessee for his final official visit. If the Vols can land a visit from Walker, they stand a fighting chance with the rest of the schools recruiting Walker.

Tennessee has made tons of progress with several highly-rated players since Jeremy Pruitt took over as head coach. Quay Walker is yet another name to add to that list, and the Vols will be pushing hard to land him.

tldr; Walker has a great relationship with Pruitt and Sherrer was his recruiter at UGA, so things look good for UT.

If we land both of them that would be the #2 and #3 OLBs in the country.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
None of them have really been a surprise, but OU is closing strong with 3 highly rated defensive commitments in the last few days.

They got a few days ago at the Under Armour game composite 4* OLB Nik Bonitto from St Thomas Aquinas in FL, which I believe is the first recruit we've ever got out of there.

Earlier today at the Army All American Bowl composite 4* (Rivals 5*) CB Brendan "Bookie" Radley-Hiles.

And then just now tonight they flipped composite 4* LB Deshaun White from Texas A&M.

We're at 23 commits for the class (22 really as Jordan Austin is expected to go elsewhere), so only 2 possible spots remain. Remaining targets are 4* OG Tank Jenkins from AL, 4* LB Solomon Tuliaupupu from CA, 4* S Leon O'Neal from TX, and 3* DT Moro Ojomo from TX. I don't think theres anyone else we're really in on.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm glad defensive recruits see our horrid defense and see opportunity as opposed to poor cosching from Mike Stoops

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Hey guys, we have a lot of 3 star kids that all seem like they love football and want to try real hard so I'm looking forward to seeing them play football at my school I support. Oh hey we have some 4 star guys too that we are all really excited about. Cool.

Anyway just a friendly check up from a normal school hovering around the top 25. Thanks.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee offered Tuas brother, Tualia. I wonder how many offers that kid is going to rack up

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Guess we're just gonna try to raid the West Coast for Wide Receivers

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/952627586949099520?s=17

Hell yeah go get him JJ

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska managed to get two 4* guys in the same Thursday evening: #17 Athlete Miles Jones and #44 WR Dominick Watt, both out of Florida :raise:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

Nebraska managed to get two 4* guys in the same Thursday evening: #17 Athlete Miles Jones and #44 WR Dominick Watt, both out of Florida :raise:

The Bag Man cometh

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

an adult beverage posted:

The Bag Man cometh

I mean probably but also Scott Frost just won a national championship* at a Florida school and presumably hed been recruiting them during his time there.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee got a commit from 4-star WR Jordan Young today.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee got a commit from 4-star WR Jordan Young today.

This kid went from unknown to #190 in the nation and a 4* overnight. Literally every single one of his predictions came out yesterday.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!

Joey Freshwater posted:

This kid went from unknown to #190 in the nation and a 4* overnight. Literally every single one of his predictions came out yesterday.

His tape is preposterous. No idea how that guy wasn't heard from before.

Ohio State picks up 4* DE/DT Tyler Friday out of Don Bosco in NJ, who was a huge Michigan lean up until about a month ago. It's apparently expected that we have 3-4 more recruits coming this cycle, which seems impossible based on the sheer lack of attrition this year, but I guess that means we have some unannounced transfers still in the wings. 4* LBs Chris Oats and Jevontae Jean-Baptiste are still targets as are OTs Nick Petit-Frere and Rasheed Walker. Apparently Urban is also considering a 3rd RB which seems ridiculous given the depth there right now. Might be an intention to convert him to safety or slot there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheGreyGhost posted:

His tape is preposterous. No idea how that guy wasn't heard from before.

Reading up on him apparently this past year was his only real year playing and there have been worries about his grades (lol yeah like coaches give a gently caress about that)

He was also more focused on track previously. Dude is faaaaast. Claims to be 4.43 40 but hasnt been officially timed.

His tape is wicked. Some of the catches he makes over the top of defenders is unreal.

e: heres the video

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5635071/5a15c30115f6331130aa1040

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's almost as if star ratings are arbitrary ;)

But catching players off the radar is always the sign of a good recruiter

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

vyst posted:

They're really not. The ROI on 4 and 5 star kids outweighs 2 and 3 and you can prove it either by who wins titles or just % of NFL draft picks (and it goes essentially in order). Nick Saban will win more games with Alabama's roster than he will with Colorado State's roster.

As a fan of a program off the beaten path who became well known for taking nobodies and making them somebodies, the blue chips we manage to land do way more in the long run 95+% of the time. For every Duane Brown (2* TE to 1st round OT) or Kam Chancellor (0 FBS offers besides VT) that happened there were dozens just like them who did squat.

Bluebloods don't maintain enough 2 and 3 star players on their rosters for fans to notice the overall gap between them and bluechip players. Your teams just hire lovely coaches now and then and the problem is inherently obvious at all these schools when you go 4-8. There's plenty of good coaches at lesser prestige schools who can't land the talent to accurately reflect their skills as a coach. Coaches like Beamer, Snyder, Ferentz are championship-caliber coaches but their inability to recruit and the hindrances caused from things like location will prevent that from being a reality. You guys bitched non-stop about Mac's recruiting but it was easily of a level to win a title, he just sucked poo poo as a coach and made bad hires.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 20, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I mean, to a point sure. The difference between a 3 and 4 Star is probably negligible. But this kid is different. He wasnt on anyones radar. He wasnt attending camps and was largely focused on track instead of football. Last year he didnt play much but this year he played and put up fantastic numbers and then recently started attending camps and people went ...oh!

Interest is starting to increase for him, but Tennessee made an offer before His rating jumped so that meant a lot to him. Hes said hes gonna take a look at Auburn and Miami who have invited him for OVs. FSU has invited him but he doesnt seem interested.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean, to a point sure. The difference between a 3 and 4 Star is probably negligible. But this kid is different. He wasnt on anyones radar. He wasnt attending camps and was largely focused on track instead of football. Last year he didnt play much but this year he played and put up fantastic numbers and then recently started attending camps and people went ...oh!

Interest is starting to increase for him, but Tennessee made an offer before His rating jumped so that meant a lot to him. Hes said hes gonna take a look at Auburn and Miami who have invited him for OVs. FSU has invited him but he doesnt seem interested.

Some 3s and 4s are close, but some are ridiculously far apart. Both ratings are really broad. I would say that for any individual prospect star rating doesn't necessarily mean all that much, but for a class star rating is incredibly telling.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/LukeStampini/status/954870827383705602

very nice

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol

https://twitter.com/JaidenWoodbey/status/954930035319812096

https://twitter.com/JCope1era/status/954896093145387009

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looks like Jimbos hair is running away again

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KKKLIP ART posted:

Looks like Jimbos hair is running away again

The salves they use at TAMU are a bit dubious

Edit: I like our new staff
https://twitter.com/coach_pimp/status/955252239601471488

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 22, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2018/1/18/16905574/college-football-recruiting-isaac-taylor-stuart-visit-tennessee-jeremy-pruitt

https://twitter.com/Kingathlete5/status/953757839448719360

https://twitter.com/Kingathlete5/status/953757893731393536

:getin:

If Pruitt could bring this kid in that would be awesome. He's USC's at the moment even though we get his final visit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Advanced recruiting tactics...

https://twitter.com/jcope1era/status/956746756041011201

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
4* DB Cam'ron Jones to Nebraska.

an adult beverage posted:

The Bag Man cometh

Feels good

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

So as far as recruiting styles go, is Mullen going to be the Harbaugh of the SEC?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Mullen is cooler than Harbaugh, he's a sneaker head and has a collection of Jordans.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Try to picture Harbaugh doing a bit like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobbyDon...80%2Fframe.html

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Wow, who knew Dan Mullen was literally autistic!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Wow, who knew Dan Mullen was literally autistic!

He did blame women for getting assaulted iirc

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

He did blame women for getting assaulted iirc

That's not entirely accurate.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

https://twitter.com/Aj_Marshall17/status/957663345284472833

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

He better watch he doesnt fall and break a hip

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

He better watch he doesnt fall and break a hip

some men can't live without the thrill

https://twitter.com/AlabamaFTBL/sta...g-go-kart-funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lot of smoke lately that Tennessee is going to flip current Alabama commit Quay Walker, who is a 4-star LB and the 3rd ranked OLB in 2018. Would be a huge get if that turns out to happen.

• Locked thread