Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Please enjoy horny bachelor penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I finally understand why all the titles on SA are annoyingly vague and still fit the thread at the same time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wamdoodle posted:

Equally good:

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Enjoy your penis ;)
I will submit that The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: you're obviously allowed to change the skin tone of the penis is also up there.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Quoting Kinky Cookie Bunny irl here: "I really don't want to install the jerk off mod"

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Quoting Kinky Cookie Bunny irl here: "I really don't want to install the jerk off mod"

The power of Jerk off Mods compels you.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I think FPS games also attract a different kind of audience - and modder - than RPGs do.

At the very least a game like UT is never going to have arguments about how "lore friendly" a mod is. I think the roleplaying aspect of RPGs inspires a certain level of crazy just because the psychology of modding for "immersion" is different. Immersion is all about losing yourself in the world, so the stuff you mod into your game is stuff that you want to be there because it's what you want your perfect fantasy world to be like. Hence all the sex and titty modes. When you mod a game like UT, it's more about "what crazy thing will be the most fun to gently caress around with?"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

At the very least a game like UT is never going to have arguments about how "lore friendly" a mod is. I think the roleplaying aspect of RPGs inspires a certain level of crazy just because the psychology of modding for "immersion" is different. Immersion is all about losing yourself in the world, so the stuff you mod into your game is stuff that you want to be there because it's what you want your perfect fantasy world to be like. Hence all the sex and titty modes. When you mod a game like UT, it's more about "what crazy thing will be the most fun to gently caress around with?"

I still fondly remember the Slim Pickins inspired Redeemer mod...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Redeemer Racing was the tits.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
what I wouldn't give for a new goofy FPS with extreme emphasis on user friendly modding. I miss making stuff for UT.

...sadly, I think the era has died. I feel like we're at a point where you can't do one like that and market it in a way that it'll reach a large audience. things are just a mess nowadays.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My two cents is, simply put, it's hard to take a punch. Since mods are (usually) non-profit free-time creative ventures, the people who release mods typically have a chunk of their ego tied to it, and if they don't have any experience with dealing with constructive critique from other creative pursuits (non-DeviantArt division) they tend to take such critique personally. It can be hard for people to separate themselves from their creative work and take feedback as feedback instead of as an insult... but that's how it is.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yes, but the majority of feedback one gets on a creative pursuit IS personal.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

My two cents is, simply put, it's hard to take a punch. Since mods are (usually) non-profit free-time creative ventures, the people who release mods typically have a chunk of their ego tied to it, and if they don't have any experience with dealing with constructive critique from other creative pursuits (non-DeviantArt division) they tend to take such critique personally. It can be hard for people to separate themselves from their creative work and take feedback as feedback instead of as an insult... but that's how it is.

A lot of the feedback is pure total poo poo, and I understand getting frustrated and strung out by that, maybe to the point where you'd say something dumb to real critique. Ideally, you just ignore all the poo poo critique, but if it gets to you, you HAVE to stop. You've gotta see that happening and back off when it isn't fun anymore.

More importantly, you've gotta let go. If you quit that mod giving you stress, say "Do whatever you want with this" and you'll stop getting bothered about it. Don't cling to it and take it down in a fit. Cut it loose, let your baby free, or people will still bother you about it forever.

There is your guide on how to survive modding without turning into a crazy person, as long as you didn't start out as one.

(Source: ask me about how many ways I tried to tell people about the double eye bug in my Oblivion mod so I wouldn't get asked about it. Ask me how well that worked. Answer: SO MANY WAYS, and it didn't)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

John Lee posted:

Yes, but the majority of feedback one gets on a creative pursuit IS personal.

A less common but probably healthier response I see from a lot of veteran modders is regarding their work as an old shame. One of the mods I wrote, I'm baffled that this mod NPC has fans and was mildly horrified when someone posted fanart of the character.

Christ, I wrote that mod in high school, it was not good writing.

Welcome to the internet, I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cythereal posted:

A less common but probably healthier response I see from a lot of veteran modders is regarding their work as an old shame. One of the mods I wrote, I'm baffled that this mod NPC has fans and was mildly horrified when someone posted fanart of the character.

Christ, I wrote that mod in high school, it was not good writing.

Welcome to the internet, I guess.

Nah that's not particularly healthy. Artist self-loathing leads to burnout. Artist egotism leads to stagnation. Two sides of the same coin.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One last thing: Let's not forget that the Nexus basically encourages the worst in their communities, since to them the modders are a cash cow, so they specifically cater to their worst impulses. Remember that long manifesto that basically equates Reviews with Trolling? I feel absolutely no shame in blocking every ad on the Nexus.

Midnight Voyager posted:

(Source: ask me about how many ways I tried to tell people about the double eye bug in my Oblivion mod so I wouldn't get asked about it. Ask me how well that worked. Answer: SO MANY WAYS, and it didn't)

Which mod was this? I know exactly how you feel, I ended up typing a rather longish FAQ for my Improved ASIS INIs and people still ask the same questions. :smithicide:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah. I mostly just ignore questions that I don't feel like answering, but in the initial rush of popularity on a mod the number of duplicate questions gets pretty bad.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Diabetes Forecast posted:

what I wouldn't give for a new goofy FPS with extreme emphasis on user friendly modding. I miss making stuff for UT.

...sadly, I think the era has died. I feel like we're at a point where you can't do one like that and market it in a way that it'll reach a large audience. things are just a mess nowadays.

It's dead. Epic was trying to revive the UT franchise and set a small team to work on it, then invited the old community members to help out. I put a couple hundred hours into level design work for them and a lot of my friends there put in just as much, but the project seems to be pretty much defunct. I think Epic was hoping that they could have a small investment that would pay out big but when it turned out that the community of players for the game is still pretty small if very dedicated, they kept paring down the team working on the project to chase trends, first for Paragon (which is now getting shut down soon) and then Fortnite.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/unreal-tournament-development

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

One last thing: Let's not forget that the Nexus basically encourages the worst in their communities, since to them the modders are a cash cow, so they specifically cater to their worst impulses. Remember that long manifesto that basically equates Reviews with Trolling? I feel absolutely no shame in blocking every ad on the Nexus.

Which mod was this? I know exactly how you feel, I ended up typing a rather longish FAQ for my Improved ASIS INIs and people still ask the same questions. :smithicide:

Beautiful People in Oblivion. I put something about the loving eye bug in big letters, differently colored, bold, italicized, anything RIGHT AT THE TOP and it just never ended.

The "double eye bug" = The mod uses a different eye mesh so each eye can be a different color. You're using a mod that changes race entries in some way, thus overrides the eye changes. Yes, that counts hair mods. Yes, that counts mods that add new eyes. Hell, those count double.

I was grateful for the like... two people who had real problems that caused double eyes. Like one person used a mod that did not seem like the NPC in it would have custom eyes and a custom race, but it did. Just like a normal dude with brown eyes, why was that necessary? And one person was using a mod that had a dirty edit in it. But goddamn, the number of people who did not read the single important FAQ and yet insisted they did everything right and read everything was staggering.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

aniviron posted:

It's dead. Epic was trying to revive the UT franchise and set a small team to work on it, then invited the old community members to help out.

Yeah, what's up with that? Supposedly a sparkling new version of UT is coming out, but it's been at the same "pre-alpha" state for over a year.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, what's up with that?

PUBG and Overwatch selling 30,000,000 copies each.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, what's up with that? Supposedly a sparkling new version of UT is coming out, but it's been at the same "pre-alpha" state for over a year.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament

Epic kind of adopted a "work on what's popular" approach and that turned out to be Paragon and Fortnite (eventually).

Orv
May 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Epic kind of adopted a "work on what's popular" approach and that turned out to be Paragon

Actually it's also dead now in the face of Fortnite's unmitigated success.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There was a patch in the last two weeks, unlike, say, UT.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GeekTheMage posted:

Did somebody say Touhou and/or maid?

gently caress me, I instantly recognized where the modder got the inspiration for Sakuya's look from:

I think I might have a problem.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress me, I instantly recognized where the modder got the inspiration for Sakuya's look from:

Well, this is awkward...

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

aniviron posted:

It's dead. Epic was trying to revive the UT franchise and set a small team to work on it, then invited the old community members to help out. I put a couple hundred hours into level design work for them and a lot of my friends there put in just as much, but the project seems to be pretty much defunct. I think Epic was hoping that they could have a small investment that would pay out big but when it turned out that the community of players for the game is still pretty small if very dedicated, they kept paring down the team working on the project to chase trends, first for Paragon (which is now getting shut down soon) and then Fortnite.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/unreal-tournament-development

I considered UT4 a gross mess the more and more I saw of it's graphical style and general tomfoolery with weapon balances. I never expected much of it period.
I'm talking about ANY attempt at something akin to it all to happen. it doesn't even have to be UT, it just has to be SOMETHING. I'm hoping that Dusk can try to ignite the spark again, but it's not quite what I want.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There was a few-month period in UT4 when the movement and shooting felt really solid and while it still needed tweaks, it was on to something. Then I have no idea what happened, maybe the team members got swapped around or something, but they about-faced sharply on weapon and movement feel, added in weapons that the community actively did not want, hosed up some game modes, and then it's all a bit fuzzy for me after that because the changes they made to the engine also severely hosed up some of my levels and I stopped working on it.

To be fair it's not the only project, Toxxik and a few others like it have come and gone, emphasis on the gone. They all feel like what they are, shallow clones of better games being sold in modern times, and the interest in them always wanes quickly. I haven't touched Quake Champions but given that it has heroes and what I hear about it, it seems like it has more in common with TF2/Overwatch than a proper arena shooter. I think the genre is over, and it's not coming back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

I think the person who drew this is more attracted to the gun than the anime girl

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2tyf2n/parlor_vs_cathedral_modding_something_every/

I have never understood the parlor view of modding. If you are not doing it selflessly out of love for the game or community, then why are you doing it at all? For the money, maybe enough for a beer a month? To have on your resume? I only know of two guys who have gotten jobs from it and one of them had to make a whole DLC size mod to get recognition. All that remains is to receive a longer E-Penis really.

I am just trying to imagine what kind of great mod setups we could have for Skyrim if people would just toss aside their egos and allow their mods to become a part of something greater. A good example is MGSO 3.0 for Morrowind. Perhaps not a perfect setup, but if something equal was given out for Skyrim SE that might make more people get into modding. If most modders could just have a shred of love for Bethesda games that the teams on SkyBlivion (Or Obrim) and Skywind have, it would all really swell. Sex and follower mods aside.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

aniviron posted:

There was a few-month period in UT4 when the movement and shooting felt really solid and while it still needed tweaks, it was on to something. Then I have no idea what happened, maybe the team members got swapped around or something, but they about-faced sharply on weapon and movement feel, added in weapons that the community actively did not want, hosed up some game modes, and then it's all a bit fuzzy for me after that because the changes they made to the engine also severely hosed up some of my levels and I stopped working on it.

To be fair it's not the only project, Toxxik and a few others like it have come and gone, emphasis on the gone. They all feel like what they are, shallow clones of better games being sold in modern times, and the interest in them always wanes quickly. I haven't touched Quake Champions but given that it has heroes and what I hear about it, it seems like it has more in common with TF2/Overwatch than a proper arena shooter. I think the genre is over, and it's not coming back.

The problem is less about the fact that others exist and more about the content they offer just not being very good. Toxxik is just incredibly boring visually and mechanics wise. It's not doing anything particularly stellar, and when you have a bad base you're ultimately attempting to fix it rather than add on to what's already there.
Frankly, I don't consider it dead. I think it's a case of companies/teams that look at it from face value standpoints, and then go 'yeah, I want that! we can just make that!' Like, the amount of teams that attempted/are attempting to make 'Quake 3 but this time it's OUR Quake 3' is staggering, and none of them have been anything but dick-waving contests. What makes arena shooters work has alot to with being visually identifiable, feeling chunky and powerful, and creating a sense of tension. If I were to be really, totally honest in what I'd want from a new Arena FPS, I'd 100% hedge my bets on pulling from the Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2k4. There was a reason it remained one of the most popular mods for the game, and if someone took that chunky, loud, rediculously over-the-top setup and built a game around that, I'd guarantee you it would get people's attention.

It's hard to get these die hards to see anything but 'Quake 3/UT but there's a TWEEST' though. They're actually even worse than some Bethesda modders at times.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing Toxxik or any of the other bad clones that came out; most of them did not have what it took. Quake and UT, for all that they were fast, spammy games meant to be dicked around with online where you're just killing people, had a lot of detail put into them. The balance, the environments, the visual readability, the music, everything- it was all put together so well.

But I don't think games like that are coming back. Older people with nostalgia for it don't have the reflexes or time to get good like we used to. Younger people who want fast games have been raised on COD and don't care for the older brand of arena shooters, it seems.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think it's a bad idea to say they won't. things are starting to wrap around already, but I'd definitely give it another 3 years before true arena FPS come back. (though what form they'll take is anyone's guess)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Potentially superdumb question here, but what's the difference between arena shooters and whatever Overwatch, Paladins, Lawbreakers etc. are? They all seem like fast-paced, massive multiplayer shooters to me. Mind you, my kind of games are usually along the lines of Civilization and Crusader Kings, so I'm definitely not in the general target audience(s) for shooters.

New Concept Hole posted:

Well, this is awkward...

Whatup, fellow SnIpe fan! :hfive:

CJacobs posted:

I think the person who drew this is more attracted to the gun than the anime girl

Man, you have no idea. Guns may be banned in Japan, but stuff like Airsoft has a quite the following. And of course, otaku being otaku, they take these things quite seriously:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 23, 2018

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I will never understand the incredible desire for increasingly complex and overpowered guns in the general public, and getting so incredibly detailed in your love for them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CommissarMega posted:

Potentially superdumb question here, but what's the difference between arena shooters and whatever Overwatch, Paladins, Lawbreakers etc. are? They all seem like fast-paced, massive multiplayer shooters to me. Mind you, my kind of games are usually along the lines of Civilization and Crusader Kings, so I'm definitely not in the general target audience(s) for shooters.

Overwatch et al are team-based objective games. Generally you're shuffled into Team A or B, with an objective to take or defend on a map and murder's just a means to an end. Characters also tend to have personal unique skills and weapons.

Basic arena shooters are you vs everyone else. Player characters are generally just cosmetic skins with identical stats and the general gameplay loop consists of "find a gun, shoot other players, take their guns, repeat until death and respawn".

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

In role-based shooters like Overwatch, you can always blame your team members for losing.

In arena shooters like Quake, you can only blame yourself for losing in deathmatch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Or you can blame the railgun for not spawning fast enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

Could be worse.

Could be a guy sitting in a corner of the map with the FarSight :gibs:.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

aniviron posted:

But I don't think games like that are coming back. Older people with nostalgia for it don't have the reflexes or time to get good like we used to. Younger people who want fast games have been raised on COD and don't care for the older brand of arena shooters, it seems.

Don't be so sure. I've held Quake 3 tournaments for teenagers. They still grasp and love the gameplay. Those games hold up.

CJacobs posted:

loving QUAD DAMAGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The pacing, accessibility, and overall feel of the gameplay in Unreal Tournament were really good, but I think what really pushed it from "a pretty good shooter" to "addictive as hell with lasting appeal" was the mutator system. There were so many weird options and game modes to mix and match, and a lot of them changed the game significantly, but in a fun way that meshed well with its core gameplay.

My brother used to be a holy terror in instagib mode. I much preferred goofy telefrag tag games.