Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Suikoden 3 was the last good jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I swear I am not trying to be edgy.

I think the Sega Master System was better than the original Nintendo. It had fewer games, but they were more interesting. I never owned a Nintendo console. It was Sega, Atari, Playstation, and Xbox all the way down.

I don't like most of the big title NES games and stars. I don't really like anything Mario except maybe Donkey Kong. Later iterations of Mario where he speaks in a ridiculous accent grates on my nerves. I don't like Mega Man at all. I have never played more than 10 minutes of any Zelda game in my life and have not much desire to play. My favorite NES games were Double Dragon, River City Ransom, and Super Dodgeball. It seems to me that the love for these characters is mostly based on nostalgia which is something I don't have for Nintendo.

I love computer and tabletop RPGs, but I hate anything JRPG especially Final Fantasy. I don't really like much anime to begin with.

I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid on Playstation. The series got way stupid. It has a bizarre anime logic that I don't really understand. It swings from super serious, to ridiculous, to insultingly cheesecakey constantly. I picked up the Phantom Pain(First one I played since MGS2(Sons of the patriots?)), but I don't know if I can get through it. I hate all of the characters and I haven't even gotten to Quiet who seems even dumber than the rest. It has a few neat features, though.

I don't get Resident Evil. I played the first game way back when and found it to be clunky, slow, and boring. I picked up a newer one a few years ago(the one where they are in Africa) and it is super fast paced and I don't really know what I am doing and I got my rear end kicked over and over until I quit and never played it again.

I thought Mass Effect 2 was the best one and I thought Jack was crazy hot, but male Shepherd's voice was so irritating I couldn't romance her properly. Femshep all the way.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Adventure games were dead for a reason.

Unless you're new xcom, civ 5 or above, or advance wars turn based combat is crap.

Aoe3 was better than 2, and starcraft 2 is the perfect RTS (unfortunately, because there's no point making others)

The jagged alliance real time remakes were better than the old.

The hipster in kf2 is the only character worth playing.

Roguelikes/lites are amazing, but ASCII and most things pre spelunky are crap.

Dorf fort is the greatest game of the century

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nanpa posted:

Dorf fort is the greatest game of the century

Yeah. I think Advance Wars is really fun though, they're just nice logic puzzles more than strategy games.

Age of Empires 1 was the best.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tank controls in the original RE games owned

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Internet Kraken posted:

You need to buy these lootboxes to compete in this online multiplayer shooter

vs.

You buy the dumb plastic figurine to get a weapon in a single-player game

Totally the same thing. Good take there.

You're right, locking on-disc content that used to be standard in games behind physical objects that are subject to supply and demand (and Nintendo is very good at making sure that supply is low) is way worse that buying lootboxes to compete.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
All video games are bad, and it is impossible for a video game to have artistic merit. To even begin to approach it is to strip away everything that makes it a game, and even then, the only people who'd think the resulting story is good or has meaning have never read a book.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 20, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LuiCypher posted:

You're right, locking on-disc content that used to be standard in games behind physical objects that are subject to supply and demand (and Nintendo is very good at making sure that supply is low) is way worse that buying lootboxes to compete.

Yes it really is. You're comparing bonus content that isn't critical to the game to paying money so your gun can loving shoot straight. Like, what content gated behind an amiibo do you think is so important that its worse than people literally buying objectively superior improvements over other player in a multiplayer game?

The one time I was annoyed by locked Amiibo content was in Splatoon 1 where they had some bonus stages tied to them. That's it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nanpa posted:

Adventure games were dead for a reason.
Adventure games were never dead. They just went from being among the most popular types of game to a more niche market.

Nanpa posted:

Unless you're new xcom, civ 5 or above, or advance wars turn based combat is crap.
Combat in the Shadowrun games is mostly pretty fun.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Adventure games were never dead. They just went from being among the most popular types of game to a more niche market.

Combat in the Shadowrun games is mostly pretty fun.

Eh, they were that niche for a while that they may have been dead. My memory might be hazey, but I don't remember any real standout adventure games since about grim Fandango, apart from that elephant one.

I did play shadowrun returns and the combat seemed fine, it just didn't grab me, possibly because it didn't take after the mega drive shadowrun. X com style combat with 1/2 moves and an action really is great with keeping games moving.

Also, controversial opinion: the mega drive shadowrun is an underrated classic that basically did everything Deus ex and GTA 3 did many many years earlier

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sonic the Hedgehog was a terrible game to be based around speed. Way too much waiting and puzzle segments.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I didn't enjoy Earthbound at all. But loved Undertale.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nanpa posted:

Eh, they were that niche for a while that they may have been dead. My memory might be hazey, but I don't remember any real standout adventure games since about grim Fandango, apart from that elephant one.

Classic point-and-click adventure games are purely made by super-indie outfits at this point, but still exist. Primordia is a good place to start if you're interested.

Just be prepared for every single game to have a character voiced by Abe Goldfarb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nanpa posted:

Eh, they were that niche for a while that they may have been dead.
Not really.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Text adventures have a small but devoted fanbase today. Here is a thread.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog was a terrible game to be based around speed. Way too much waiting and puzzle segments.

Sonic's just a bad game. Only the master system version is kind of fun to play because it's simpler and doesn't rely as much on the speed sections. It was only popular because it was better than, say, Alex Kid. Speed platformers are just kind of a sucky genre, the game that did it best was probably Jazz Jackrabbit but even that game isn't that much fun.

Here's another one: Mr. Nutz was a pretty great game.

The GBA had good games but the graphics were ugly and smudgy, there was a period in the early 2000's where everything had to be smoothed and embossed metallic purple. GBA graphics usually looked like SNES graphics with a terrible emulator filter on top.

Caesar II was better than Caesar III

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 20, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sonic Forces would have been a lot less hated if the Switch version hadn't been such a dog. They put a massively inferior version of a Sonic game on the platform that the people actually interested in a Sonic game would want to play on.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul.Power posted:

Unpopular opinion: the Mega Drive sound chip has aged better than the SNES one.

The SNES's downsampled real instruments are cool and all, but just end up being a bit uncanny valley compared with modern orchestral or rock VGM.

Meanwhile Mega Drive music has its own weird unique style that's very distinct from anything else. It feels more like a higher-def version of 8-bit music than a lower-def version of more conventional music, and I like that punching-up aspect.

Yes, there was a lot of bad stuff written for it because of how tricky it was to use, but the good stuff is great.

Trap sprung, moist fart enjoyer outed

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

The internet has killed the sense of wonder that the video games of the early to mid 90s had. There will never be a game released again that is as interesting and as mind blowing as stuff like Ultima 7 was, even though modern games are "better" in general.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lolasaurusrex posted:

The internet has killed the sense of wonder that the video games of the early to mid 90s had. There will never be a game released again that is as interesting and as mind blowing as stuff like Ultima 7 was, even though modern games are "better" in general.

In a sense I kind of agree with this. A lot of the mystery that could exist in old games isn't possible in the age of the internet. I think this is less because of the internet itself though and rather because people can datamine games and share their results easily. Nothing can stay hidden in any moderately popular game for long. Even if it was something super cryptic people will find it by cracking the game's code instead of discovering whatever the intended method is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RTS games who made their campaign(s) a Risk style affair are utter trash. It's just a bunch of meaningless skirmish battles that you could just set up yourself if you felt like it. Sure it means no Heart of the Swarm "story", characters or map design to vomit over but overall it's just a lazy and uninteresting waste of time.

Despite their love of spreading out great features over all of their DLCs, Paradox are great devs and it's worth every hyperpyron to buy them. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lolasaurusrex posted:

I can agree with this, though I do think it's happened a few times since then. GTA3, for example, nobody cared or thought anything about it until it actually came out and then suddenly everyone's minds were blown.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The internet didn't kill the sense of wonder video games had, you got older.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yandat posted:

The internet didn't kill the sense of wonder video games had, you got older.

Nah, the internet has definitely helped. I was already pretty old when it became omnipresent. I can't think of anything that replicated the "oh poo poo" level of finding out that Zelda has a "second quest". In today's world, that would be discovered and widespread knowledge a month before the game's release, and possibly advertised in-game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
game writing isn't really any worse than other mainstream pop-culture entertainment media

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wizard on a water slide posted:

game writing isn't really any worse than other mainstream pop-culture entertainment media

The highs are so much lower and the lows are a good bit lower, so...no, it very much is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

Nah, the internet has definitely helped. I was already pretty old when it became omnipresent. I can't think of anything that replicated the "oh poo poo" level of finding out that Zelda has a "second quest". In today's world, that would be discovered and widespread knowledge a month before the game's release, and possibly advertised in-game.

I don't know, game magazines had guides full of big pictures in the 90s. I knew just about everything there was to know about Starfox 64 and Ocarina Of Time well in advance of actually playing them

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Everything is less magical because you're all reaching your 30s and 40s. The kids playing videogames today are having just as much fun as you did.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I knew there was a bomb under my jet in Cyberia well before playing it thanks to CNET Central.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The only time I really get to play games is after the baby is in bed, and there's usually some chore or other that needs doing in that time. Anyway, it's the games' fault I don't like them as much

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

2house2fly posted:

I don't know, game magazines had guides full of big pictures in the 90s. I knew just about everything there was to know about Starfox 64 and Ocarina Of Time well in advance of actually playing them

yeah but there's a big diff. between nintendo power and the internet. most people i know didn't read gaming mags, everyone uses the internet :colbert:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

2house2fly posted:

The only time I really get to play games is after the baby is in bed, and there's usually some chore or other that needs doing in that time. Anyway, it's the games' fault I don't like them as much

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

The highs are so much lower and the lows are a good bit lower, so...no, it very much is.

i invite you to go read some random fantasy books at the bookstore (if those still exist) and still maintain this stance.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think games are better than they used to be

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The real way to enjoy videogames is to do what I did, which is be gay, have no children or serious responsibilities apart from showing up to work, and continue your adolescence indefinitely with a bunch of other immature gay men.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Yandat posted:

The real way to enjoy videogames is to do what I did, which is be gay, have no children or serious responsibilities apart from showing up to work, and continue your adolescence indefinitely with a bunch of other immature gay men.

That's not a bad or unpopular video game opinion tho'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yandat posted:

you don't strike me as a jobhaver. rest of the story checks out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

While technically true, most adventure games that came out during the early and mid 2000's were mostly all dogshit aside from a couple of exceptions. So yeah, I think they were pretty much dead.

I say this as someone who's favorite game genre is adventure.

I wouldn't even say the genre died for a reason isn't a controversial statement because I fully agree with it. Sierra gave the genre life but also cursed it with bad gameplay elements that eventually killed it for a decade.

The genre Renaissance that has been going on since the end of the 2000's has been fantastic though. The genre has been better than its ever been.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 22, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

most adventure games that came out during the early and mid 2000's were mostly all dogshit aside from a couple of exceptions.
That's true of all genres at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's kind of a logical flaw to think of it as "adventure games died"; there are as many fans as ever, and there always have been, the key thing to keep in mind is that during the "golden age" of adventure games, not everyone had a computer and not everyone played games on them. Other types of games have gotten MORE popular, which makes it seem like there are "fewer" adventure game fans, but it's really just a matter of perspective.

• Locked thread