Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I dunno man, the more i think about the more i realize that Cheeze-its man is living the dream and i'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ArbitraryC posted:

costco is good for dairy and paper products but pretty meh if you eat mostly fresh poultry/pork/veggies/fruit.
It's good for shelf-stable ingredients, too. (Rice, beans, broth, those giant tubs of garlic, etc) But then you have to do the math to see if you're really saving, because they like making the only option for a given thing organic.

My mom [47F] wants me [26F] to invest in her business "plan" aimed at Millennials [20s/30s, M/F] but I have concerns over this and she's very aggressive/insistent over it. Money worries are cuasing me stress.

quote:

My mom works in events management for two different companies, and now she's looking at going into opening her own business. That's the only industry she's worked in (aside from a burger bar when she was a teenager she said).

She told me that she's looking at trying to get Millennials interested in dating agencies again by opening her own dating agency (in her words "Patti Stanger, but more affordable") and that it would have all the advantages Tinder and Grindr don't have; access to food and drink, theme nights, sports cars, beer and face-to-face social networking, and in her words.... "FUN!" (she yelled it at me).

She showed me a printed business plan, which was 130 pages in length, and accompanying PDFs for it (she'd even bought an InDesign CC license too so she could do promo work for it!)

She told me this six weeks ago and constantly discusses the topic every single day.

Mom said that something needs to be done to get Millennials back to using dating agencies, said she'd read online about Select Introductions, a dating agency across the Atlantic in Britain that's popular with Millennials over there (Google them) and she wanted to be successful.

Maybe I'm just wrong here, but don't most Millennials ignore dating agencies for Tinder, Grindr, OKCupid? I told Mom that but she said "Millennials like experiences, social events... why not mix it with dating? Besides, I can also bring out the classic Dodge/Chrysler cars I own which I have to rent" (it's true, Mom rents out an old 90s Dodge Spirit RT, a sports sedan) ; not for ZipCar-type stuff though (isn't it too old to be an Uber?/)

I do like cars but this ain't a car subreddit so I'll cut that out.

Although my mom knows a lot about events management, she doesn't know much on dating, so could she lose thousands on this?

She insists I should invest in the venture because it's helpful and "you're always helping me in some way".

I'm worried about our financial stability. I live with Mom (moved back from Dallas to here in Anaheim after I my employer went bankrupt and got bought out; got the pink slip due to takeover and my relationship with my girlfriend ended) and now have a new job as a car saleswoman here.

My dad is happy to invest in this; we're a wealthy-ish family, middle-class, OK, so we don't own a McMansion but we're comfortable financially.

I'm just worried Mom'll lose all she's worked so hard for doing this venture.

I get stressed a lot about this.

Need advice, what do you think of her business plan, has she got it wrong about Millennials?

Mom is insistent I'm part of this, so is Dad too, and while they're supportive of me being bisexual (well... mostly attracted to women, but very femme women) and my interest in cars and motor racing, they're very insistent about me being involved in this as a "family business".

Sorry if this is long but I don't know what to do here, I feel torn about whether to help my family or not; divided loyalties, basically and money worries.

tl;dr: My mom has a business plan which is worrying me and I'm getting money worries too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I read that entire thing about investing in Mom’s doomed to failure business that already exists and I cant figure out why the OP keeps mentioning theyre bisexual and like cars. Is thay whole post a coded message for gay lowrider hookups?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Barudak posted:

So I read that entire thing about investing in Mom’s doomed to failure business that already exists and I cant figure out why the OP keeps mentioning theyre bisexual and like cars. Is thay whole post a coded message for gay lowrider hookups?

Now THAT'S a good basis for a dating agency! Gettin' low in the gay-tto!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hrmm, all my friends do like a low rider. How much do you need to start?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Give me a bit while I work up a Kickstarter page...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bogus Adventure posted:

Give me a bit while I work up a Kickstarter page...

When will you make your pitch to Shark Tank?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that one goes really great with millenials to snake people chrome extension

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Virigoth posted:

When will you make your pitch to Shark Tank?

As soon as I can get on. I've got a feeling Robert is gonna like it. I'm also gonna dress like the Cheek'd girl.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
My[28M] GF[21F] won't stop eating kimchee and it is giving her terrible gas. She refuses to stop eating it. (She isn't Korean)

quote:

submitted 2 years ago by kimcheefarts

So we've been dating for about four months. Sex is good, she's a sharp one, I like her a lot, and she's adventurous both in the bedroom and out. This is my first serious relationship (I spent so much time working and being unconfident in my earlier years that I never got a chance to date) and it seems to be going good so far. People talk about the honeymoon stage and such so maybe I'm just in that but who knows.

Anyway, about three weeks ago my GF started eating a lot of kimchee from a Korean grocery near us. I love ethnic food, and I generally like Korean food, but there's no denying that kimchee just makes your burps and farts smell awful... especially when you eat a lot of it.

She insists that she's eating it because it's good for her gut fauna (we both take health pretty seriously) and that I'm being selfish for telling her not to eat it. I've tried to explain to her that I literally can't go into the same room with her if she's passed gas in it recently because the Kimchee makes them so strong. She is white and not raised by Koreans so it isn't like I'm asking her to give up some deep cultural thing.

I'm just looking for perspective on this. I don't know if I'm being awful or what. I don't want to break up with her but how do I learn to compromise on this?

tl;dr My GF has picked up a kimchee eating habit. It makes her farts just atrociously bad and I can't take it. Is it wrong of me to make a big deal of this? I need perspective

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Just slip some gas-x into her drink. And then breathe a deep sigh of relief.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kimchi is a fully mass produced industrialized product
that means that they figured out how to make it terribly unhealthy to make their margins go up 15%
(usually sugar)

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
You can get probiotics from yogurt and apparently lots of kimchi also leads to stomach cancer, so yea "take health pretty seriously".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Adding sugar to kimchi would ruin it. I added sugar to boricha once and my Korean cubicle neighbor yelled at me

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pick posted:

You can also write off those donations for the value of the item, not what you paid per se. So it's also a form of tax dodge if you want to go that way.

Please don't give people bad tax advice.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sullat posted:

imagine hitting the standard deduction with shaving cream

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Adding sugar to kimchi would ruin it. I added sugar to boricha once and my Korean cubicle neighbor yelled at me

top recipe for kimchi on google search in korean says a cup of pear juice
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?...AfterWrite=true

this is a sort of fake authenticity. but it does help with a sweetener of some kind
doosan, realizing that sugar = profit, cranked it up a notch

no loving sugar in boricha. also, you can make it your own drat self
it's annoying to make your own kimchi, can buy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sullat posted:

I don't do it, I've just seen people explain that they do. Frankly I don't really have an issue with paying my taxes so I don't game them.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

dudeness posted:

You can get probiotics from yogurt and apparently lots of kimchi also leads to stomach cancer, so yea "take health pretty seriously".

Goddamit I eat so much kimchi, why does everything good have to kill youuuuuuuu

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

girl pants posted:

Goddamit I eat so much kimchi, why does everything good have to kill youuuuuuuu

...has your SO started lighting a lot of candles and wearing various surgical masks?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Haifisch posted:

My mom [47F] wants me [26F] to invest in her business "plan" aimed at Millennials [20s/30s, M/F] but I have concerns over this and she's very aggressive/insistent over it. Money worries are cuasing me stress.

I feel like this is actually a ploy by her mum to get the daughter a date, seeing as it seems to be targeted at her exact type.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

...has your SO started lighting a lot of candles and wearing various surgical masks?

Hmm, I thought he was just into the medieval plague doctor look.

My [17M] parents [49F/53M] poo poo me to tears, have no respect for me or my things

quote:

u/angstyvego

This story kind of starts when I was a little kid. I always had digestive issues, always sick and back and forth to the doctor. At one point my doc suggested trying me out on a lactose and meat free diet. Parents didn't like that and took me to someone else who eventually suggested the same thing. Over time they stopped trying to help me.

When I was old enough to get it and sick of being sick all the time I started testing things myself. I stopped eating red meat to begin with, then white meats, eventually cut out dairy and I hardly ever got sick anymore. Meals were pretty boring because it was basically just the vegetable portion of the rest of the family's meals, but I started learning to cook for myself. When I was 15 I got a job and started buying the kinds of foodstuffs my parents thought were unnessesary, like tofu and vegan meats, cheese, almond milk etc. I'd plan out my meals and buy the things I needed for that week.

The thing is, my family will just use the things I buy. I'm at school all day and work most evenings/on weekends, and I'll come home to make dinner but half the ingredients will be gone. My mom will run out of cheese and just use mine - which is okay, but the stuff is $4 for 15 slices and she uses it on everyone's (6 people) sandwiches. Two days and it's all gone. She'll use the vegetables I buy in dinner that I can't eat. This also wouldn't be a problem, but she doesn't leave any leftovers. A head of broccoli would last me all week, but she uses it in a night.

At first she told me she was just confused about what she had bought and what I had so I started putting things in a plastic tub in the refrigerator. But she kept using it, and now the response is "you're not the only person in this house, you don't pay bills, it's not a big deal if I use X". Sometimes it seems like they use my things just to spite me, like I bought an eggplant which she apparently tried to use but messed it up so she threw the whole thing away, or she tried to bake with my almond milk but it didn't come out right (but she used the rest of the carton and won't replace it).

I don't know, maybe these things seem petty but can't I just feed myself? The whole reason they didn't want to change my diet was because it would be too much of an inconvenience. I pay for my food now, and they're making it inconvienient for me to maintain my diet by eating all the food it was too "inconvienient" for them to buy and use.

The last straw came yesterday. It was an older friend of mine's birthday. They're young and live alone and are very low income so we (me and other friends) wanted to help out and make sure they had a good time on their birthday. They're also vegan (for different reasons) so we ordered three boxes of these fancy gently caress cupcakes for this party from a vegan bakery that shuts at midday on weekends. Another friend of mine picked them up in the morning on the way to work and dropped them at my place because he'd be picking me up after.

He came back to pick me up, we went to retrieve the cupcakes from the fridge and oh, a box is missing. I called my parents (who had disappeared at some point) and it turns out they took them for lunch at a family friend's house. I got upset obviously, because it wasn't for them to take and I hadn't even bought the things! I was just storing them for the day! And somehow again I'm being difficult and ungrateful to them.

Thank god the other two boxes were pushed back and behind things or they probably would have taken them too, and thank god someone else was also bringing a cake.

I just don't even know how to express to them that... It's not cool to do what they're doing? They always make me feel like I'm just being a brat if I dare complain about them using my things without asking. I seriously cannot afford to replace food at the rate they go through it, and they don't replace my things in return.

TL;DR: I guess my non-vegan family keeps using the vegan food I buy without asking me first, but they're not the ones who will end up with something akin to dysentery if they don't eat it. How can I make them see that this is a lovely thing for them to be doing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl pants posted:

My [17M] parents [49F/53M] poo poo me to tears, have no respect for me or my things

Your parents are somehow more trash than your bowels which betrayed you from birth

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Actually that's sort of depressing. Try this instead

Me [32 M] with my girlfriend [31 F] of 4 years, she's a foodie and hates that I'm a picky eater

quote:

u/canIeatwhatIwant

So my girlfriend is sort of a self-proclaimed foodie, and even a lot of people in our social circle acknowledge her as such.

I've always been a pretty picky eater. I get my burgers plain with cheese... I can't stand tomatoes or lettuce or mayo even touching the burger or it's basically ruined for me. Asking me to just "take off the tomato and lettuce" from a burger is an ultimate sin. Look, you just aren't going to get the taste of lettuce or tomato off your bun/meat just by taking it off... the taste is still there and it makes me want to retch.

So anyway, I have told my girlfriend this, and she is fully aware. I specifically do not like lettuce, so this excludes most salads. I do not like the flavor or texture of tofu, and I also do not like the texture of sushi... I've tried all of these many times throughout my life, and I have never liked any of it.

So I tell her this also... but she's a foodie, so she wants me to try everything... EVERY TIME. She orders some tofu dish. "hey, try this" and my response is "you know I hate tofu, I've told you before". She then just gives me "the look" and then gets into a sort of bad mood for a short time over it.

I've debated with her about this every time and she always insists I try it. "well you haven't tried THIS version yet, maybe you will like it"

She can eat basically anything... she only does not like a very select few foods. I even try to use this in my argument saying "if I asked you to eat [ food she doesn't like ] you wouldn't try it either.

I'm honestly not sure how to solve this problem. Why can't she just let me eat what I want? It even goes as far as where we'll both order a different meal... I'll be totally into my meal, and then she offers me a bite of her meal... which I'm not really in the mood for. If I decline, she goes sour and makes a fuss about it. If I eat it, I risk the chance of throwing my palate off for the rest of my own meal... essentially ruining it for me.

How can I tell my gf that enough is enough? It's like she wants me to be this adventurous foodie when I'm perfectly content eating what I know I like. I'm up for trying NEW things, but not things that I've already established as gross. Am I in the wrong?

I mean this isn't a relationship dealbreaker. The rest of our relationship is pretty fantastic... but this is ruining my meals out with her because it comes up pretty frequently.

tl;dr: GF is a foodie, I'm not. She wants me to try things I have told her I do not like. How do I get her to stop trying to change my palate?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

girl pants posted:

Eat a gallon of ice cream and leave a trail of diarrhea all over the house just before you go no contact on your eighteenth birthday.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
GROW UP RAAARRRR

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl pants posted:

Me [32 M] with my girlfriend [31 F] of 4 years, she's a foodie and hates that I'm a picky eater

"I mean this isn't a relationship dealbreaker."
-The Wrongest Man on Reddit

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's impressive how awful and lovely some people's parents are. Not in the beating your kid daily kind of way, but just being openly antagonistic for selfish petty reasons.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 22, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

No sympathy for picky eaters. I had a coworker who was a major picky eater and she tried to tell the rest of us that she actually had a more sophisticated palate than we did because we would just cram any old things down our throat, whereas she had higher standards for what she would eat.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like the only explanation is they're intentionally doing it out of spite. Like if they were fine with tofu, an incredibly cheap and versatile protein, wouldn't they have bought it before when it was clear their kid needed a dietary change for medical reasons? But no, they only eat it to take away from the teen who literally buys food for them self.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like the only explanation is they're intentionally doing it out of spite. Like if they were fine with tofu, an incredibly cheap and versatile protein, wouldn't they have bought it before when it was clear their kid needed a dietary change for medical reasons? But no, they only eat it to take away from the teen who literally buys food for them self.

It's 100% whats happening, yes. They also won't feel the least bit bad when the kid moves out and never talks to them again, and will tell anybody who even hints a little about how nice it is not to have that whiner in their home.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

"girl pants" posted:

Picky eaters gently caress off

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

girl pants posted:

Is there any way to get this idiot fucker to understand that eventually his wonderful, patient girlfriend will stop trying to share the joy in her life with him? That he is the dealbreaker, he is undateable, and he deserves a life utterly alone, untroubled by the horrors of lettuce contamination?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ugh, I would ditch that girl in a heartbeat. I'm a picky eater, but a big reason is because I have a hair-trigger gag reflex. If I eat something with a weird taste or texture, I will throw up right then and there. My parents learned that the hard way when I was a baby. It's my one mutant power.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Is there any way to get this idiot fucker to understand that eventually his wonderful, patient girlfriend will stop trying to share the joy in her life with him? That he is the dealbreaker, he is undateable, and he deserves a life utterly alone, untroubled by the horrors of lettuce contamination?

She's been with him for 4 years. She has chosen to die on this hill, 10 thousand miles away from Flavor Town.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I think my favorite part of the picky eater thing is where he claims he can taste residual lettuce on his burg after it's been removed so if lettuce touches the bun it's RUINED

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

girl pants posted:

I think my favorite part of the picky eater thing is where he claims he can taste residual lettuce on his burg after it's been removed so if lettuce touches the bun it's RUINED

iceburg lettuce has a very strong presence ~

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you've got over-moist lettuce where its almost becoming spreadable in contact with bread long enough it'll definitely leave a flavor.

Much like his girlfriend will still remember him once she finally works up the will power to scrape him out of her life.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

girl pants posted:

The comments have even more gold:

quote:

[–]canIeatwhatIwant[S] -2 points 2 years ago
The way I described stuff in my post isn't how I would talk out loud to a host or anything lol. I definitely just politely decline food I'm not interested in.

The thing about ruining my meal... Yeah, it ruins my meal. Here's the thing... I go into a meal all ready to enjoy this tasty dish I selected. Then she throws me this curveball fork full of disgusting. So the moment I eat it, I'm disgusted. I lose my appetite. Simply rinsing my mouth out doesn't tell my brain that I just ate something nasty. Now I'm looking at my food and can't even enjoy it because my brain just shut down it's taste bud department.

I don't cause a scene or anything. We've had this happen enough to where I just say "no thanks" now, and she just gives me the same look of disapproval. Every now and then when she is really insistent, she will ask me several times, and then I have to explain why I don't want to try it, etc.

[–][deleted] 68 points 2 years ago
It's kind of odd to find an adult with that strong of a digust towards food, because it's clearly a psychological thing more than a food thing, if rinsing your mouth doesn't work and you're still totally revolted for the rest of the meal. HAve you always been that way?

[–]canIeatwhatIwant[S] 10 points 2 years ago
I might be exaggerating a bit. Yeah okay, I'm not like nearly on the verge of vomiting for the next hour... but I just honestly don't want to eat something gross when I'm trying to enjoy something good.

That would be like me asking you to eat a spoonful of glue and sand mixed together while you're enjoying your favorite meal. Yeah you can just rinse out your mouth with water... but food is partially about the overall experience, and I'm sure you don't want to be thinking about having to eat a spoonful of sand/glue, tasting that, then having to get the taste out of your mouth... instead of just enjoying the delicious meal you selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

girl pants posted:

I mean in all fairness if he's talking about fast food burgs that nasty-rear end shredded iceberg absolutely does leave kind of a limp, sad flavor behind if you scrape it off, but that minor quibble aside he is a giant baby and would be better off dying slowly of the beetus alone in his room with a case of Soylent