Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
crunchyroll put the first ep of laidback camp and a place further than the universe up on youtube.

that's rad

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/955297728090656769

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i watched the second ep of franxx. this show's so blatantly sexual that its become funny. "you were awful" indeed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

i watched the second ep of franxx. this show's so blatantly sexual that its become funny. "you were awful" indeed

Trigger's (Yes, I know, saying it for brevity) tired of this subliminal sexual reference thing. They've moved onto the superliminal.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

"After the Rain looks interesting, I'll give it a chan-"

Welp, never mind.

Amazon Strike is no longer a thing so you just need Prime.

In unrelated news, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-01-16/masaaki-yuasa-responds-to-critic-poor-review-of-devilman-crybaby/.126497
Is that guy's argument literally, "This isn't anime enough, therefore it is poo poo"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even after seven clarifications ANN still hasn't explained that dude's complaint. He's mad about increasing western influence/attempts to pander to westerners in anime, which are often wrongheaded and stupid and hurt the creators. The director of Shirobako got chewed out a few months ago for his show 'not appealing to westerners at all,' even though it's passably popular in the West. Devilman Crybaby was funded by Netflix, a western company, so that guy was using it as a springboard to talk about his issues with Japanese artists and creators having to sacrifice their own visions to appeal to people from countries they've never been to.

Now:

1) Netflix exercised no creative control on Crybaby.
2) Yuasa clearly stuck to his own vision.
3) Crybaby is popular in Japan, too.

So that guy's complaints are still dumb and easily dismissed, but he is coming from a somewhat reasonable place, it's just the leap from that place to getting mad about Crybaby that he fucks up on.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Prime is almost useless for me since I can't use it for shipping. :negative:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is the guy who's complaining about Crybaby the same guy who chewed out the Shirobako director? Because anyone who doesn't love and respect Shirobako is not someone worth listening to.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't know that 'pandering to westerners' was an actual industry problem. I also don't see how targeting international visibility is a bad thing. If that's what you wanna make, that's what you wanna make.

Now, if the argument was 'We don't like people targeting western audiences because they have weird customs and norms and we don't want that polluting our industry,' I could understand that viewpoint. I'd think that person should :fuckoff:, but at least I'd understand it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

Prime is almost useless for me since I can't use it for shipping. :negative:

What horrible frontier do you live in that Amazon won't ship to?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

What horrible frontier do you live in that Amazon won't ship to?

A place... further than the Universe.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't know that 'pandering to westerners' was an actual industry problem. I also don't see how targeting international visibility is a bad thing. If that's what you wanna make, that's what you wanna make.

It sounds like the problem is that at least for some people that's not what they want to make, but they're told to by producers/executives/whoever has money.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Is Naruto an otaku culture anime or a subculture anime? Because otherwise I have no idea wtf that guy's point is regarding international success.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is the guy who's complaining about Crybaby the same guy who chewed out the Shirobako director? Because anyone who doesn't love and respect Shirobako is not someone worth listening to.
No. He's the opposite of that. Incidents like that are why he's mad about western influence on anime.

AnacondaHL posted:

Is Naruto an otaku culture anime or a subculture anime? Because otherwise I have no idea wtf that guy's point is regarding international success.
There are some 'otaku' anime that do well in Japan but have almost no international appeal for various reasons. Symphogear'd be a good example. His worry is that if international appeal becomes more and more of a requirement for getting something greenlit, shows like that would stop being made.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 22, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i wonder what he thinks of golden kamui he'd probably claw his face off

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

japanese creators shouldnt have to worry about appealing to western audiences because western audiences have garbage taste

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
is there anyone who doesn't have garbage taste

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes, me

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Blhue posted:

is there anyone who doesn't have garbage taste

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It would be a shame if stuff like Symphogear stopped being made.

I wish there was more Symphogear merch available stateside. I'm not really a figures kinda guy, but I'd buy a fun (non-fanservicey) shirt or poster, easy. I feel like trying to buy stuff from those Japanese-language is incredibly difficult, and products are always sold out or priced sky-high. I would shell out for a "Kazanari Tsubasa, live in concert" promo poster or something.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are BB and Passionlip stated to appear in the upcoming Fate/Extra anime?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

i think endorph means this (though its the studio CEO)

"Just left a seminar on overseas broadcasting where there was a breakdown of what overseas anime fans want. In particular, Shirobako was used as an example of what not to do.

Supposedly the scale of the story was too small. This makes me remember when I was in elementary school, I would often be called up by my teacher to do a math problem on the blackboard only to be introduced as an example of how to do it wrong."

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

In unrelated news, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-01-16/masaaki-yuasa-responds-to-critic-poor-review-of-devilman-crybaby/.126497
Is that guy's argument literally, "This isn't anime enough, therefore it is poo poo"?

Is that the article that ANN wrongly translated the tweet and essentially sourcing the information from like Japanese 4chan? I remember seeing people really upset at ANN for something around those lines.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Are BB and Passionlip stated to appear in the upcoming Fate/Extra anime?
No, it's based on the original Fate/Extra. They might still appear since it's an 'original story,' but they haven't even hinted at any of the CCC content in any of the PVs, so probably not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

psyer posted:

Is that the article that ANN wrongly translated the tweet and essentially sourcing the information from like Japanese 4chan? I remember seeing people really upset at ANN for something around those lines.

a lot of ann's articles are sourced from matome sites, which sometimes do pick up legit stuff on chans to report but often sensationalize stuff for clicks

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

psyer posted:

basically, but yaraon isnt quite a japanese 4chan, they're a bbs/blog with a focus on otaku news and gossip. but the writers will often form their own conclusions or report things with an opinionated slant which you cant just translate and slap on your English news site as fact (well, you shouldn't, anyway)

one big problem isn't yaraon lacking credibility at all, but that people will often translate their stuff poorly or someone pulls random poo poo out of their rear end and attribute it to yaraon and no one will fact-check it. e.g. yaraon reported that the Keijo manga was ending, with a simple image of the author's comment in the manga's serialization that simply stated, "Keijo will be ending next week." that's it, that was the article. a 4chan post in a thread for the news quoted the author as saying the manga was done because the anime did poorly, and people spread it around to other sites and attributed it to yaraon without anyone actually fact-checking it (even though the post on 4chan got numerous replies like "where did you translate this from?" "is this sourced?" "this is bullshit, isn't it?")

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 22, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

No. He's the opposite of that. Incidents like that are why he's mad about western influence on anime.

There are some 'otaku' anime that do well in Japan but have almost no international appeal for various reasons. Symphogear'd be a good example. His worry is that if international appeal becomes more and more of a requirement for getting something greenlit, shows like that would stop being made.

Symphogear should have high international appeal through being good and fun and cool imo.

Granted I don't really know what characteristics the international market is looking for in anime. I mean I probably should since I watch a lot of the popular or mainstream stuff but what are the qualities market figures and such show the West responds to?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Pop Team Epic continues to own and having Freeza and Cell from Dragonball do the voices owned.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

psyer posted:

That guy's a professor so I doubt it. Doesn't mean he isn't an idiot, but I doubt he crawls 4chan or similar.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
viggy pls, you didnt follow that post at all, or read the posts below it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh I thought you were talking in a general sense, I missed the link at the bottom of the article. My bad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VostokProgram posted:

It sounds like the problem is that at least for some people that's not what they want to make, but they're told to by producers/executives/whoever has money.

Isn't that basically a producer's job? Or an editor in manga. To try to push the desires of the people paying for a work so as to maximize profit. Sometimes it'll be appealing to foreign audiences (which is also a thing on other shores too), but sometimes it'll be "include more action". Or romance. Or comedy. Or more guns. Or less guns. Or fanservice. Or whatever. Complaining about it seems weird to me because it's just one more in long litany of requests creators have to push back against in making whatever their vision is.

Space Flower posted:

i think endorph means this (though its the studio CEO)

"Just left a seminar on overseas broadcasting where there was a breakdown of what overseas anime fans want. In particular, Shirobako was used as an example of what not to do.

Supposedly the scale of the story was too small. This makes me remember when I was in elementary school, I would often be called up by my teacher to do a math problem on the blackboard only to be introduced as an example of how to do it wrong."

This is weird to me too. I could get producers or something pushing creators to make stuff with broader appeal and that will make money, but it's not like people worldwide don't create small, personal stories with niche appeal. Hollywood has things like "The Post" about a very specific historical incident not a huge amount of people, especially overseas will care about. The UK makes small scale stuff like The Office or The IT Crowd. Canada makes Trailer Park Boys etc. Stuff that people overseas will have a harder time understanding culturally or historically. It just seems like they don't realize the same art will always be niche and think the issue isn't that people make niche stuff, but that niche stuff is only a Japanese problem. Not even the guy who wrote the post, but his bosses.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Symphogear should have high international appeal through being good and fun and cool imo.

Granted I don't really know what characteristics the international market is looking for in anime. I mean I probably should since I watch a lot of the popular or mainstream stuff but what are the qualities market figures and such show the West responds to?

Symphogear should be popular because it's a tits and rear end heavy show with lots of over the top action and light but fun characters fighting silly monsters with some melodrama. At the same time though the singing during and to battle element probably loses a lot of people. Plus, the show got worse over time, at least to my experience, with the second season being kind of fun and the third peaking in literally the first two or three minutes.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not really super sure why we care about one Japanese twitter person's wrong opinion on anime.

That said, I can imagine certain ideas of 'mainstream for the west' to be kinda insufferable, especially given all the 'next Miyazaki' business. Calling Yuasa the next Miyazaki would be amusing though. Love Naruto? Try Tatami Galaxy!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you joke, but when yuasa finally fulfills his dream of directing an episode of boruto, the circle will be complete

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Citrus is pretty trashy man.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it's good

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shonenbako

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tsob posted:

Symphogear should be popular because it's a tits and rear end heavy show with lots of over the top action and light but fun characters fighting silly monsters with some melodrama. At the same time though the singing during and to battle element probably loses a lot of people. Plus, the show got worse over time, at least to my experience, with the second season being kind of fun and the third peaking in literally the first two or three minutes.

symphogear axz loving owns and has one of the best villain teams in the entire show, especially cags

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Very good bullying in Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san today.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, it's good

Make the citrus thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some day

• Locked thread