Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
"Soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't wait to be confused by Mangastream's translations!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

I can't wait to be confused by Mangastream's translations!

Just get a SJ subscription, it's 20 bux for 48 issues a year.

That works out to a couple dollars per chapter of HxH

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

So is it next week or the week after we are getting Hunter back.

29th

Tunicate posted:

Just get a SJ subscription, it's 20 bux for 48 issues a year.

That works out to a couple dollars per chapter of HxH

Specifically, 20 dollars per chapter.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can buy it one issue at a time for 1 dollar which is pretty sweet

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I don’t think it’s available in every country though is it? It’d be awesome if it was cause reading HxH in Japanese is confusing as hell for me, especially this arc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don’t think it’s available in every country though is it? It’d be awesome if it was cause reading HxH in Japanese is confusing as hell for me, especially this arc.

No idea. The only country restrictions on the main page are

quote:

Subscribe/renew by 1/15 and get a FREE Trickstar Crimson Heart Yu-Gi-Oh! card with your paid Weekly Shonen Jump membership (U.S./CAN only).

So if you really want that YGO you're probably hosed.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I'm a bit surprised nobody ever translated Akuten Wars. The artist is really good at imitating Togashi's style.

Edit - This is a pretty good read explaining the time fuckery that goes on prior to the Black Whale departing: https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/7qele0/the_timeline_mess_of_chapters_340349/

Edit x2 - I think we're far enough into the Black Whale stuff to consider it a separate arc from the Dark Continent, like how Yorknew became a full arc despite Greed Island being the reason they were there.

TurkeyFried fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 15, 2018

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

TurkeyFried posted:

I'm a bit surprised nobody ever translated Akuten Wars. The artist is really good at imitating Togashi's style

are there any hyper realistic turkeys? if not i call bullshit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/otxku/status/952951895282388992

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I still think the Maid is the stand user.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*in a kurapika voice* i bet the spiders did this

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just a bit longer and we have lived through another hiatus.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
We can wait again!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just a bit longer and we have lived through another hiatus.

We have become immune to the hiatus. We are unaffected by it, beyond the sense of dread that comes with each new chapter, knowing fully well that the hiatus is out there, waiting, and will take over and return us to it very soon.

What I mean is that I don't even expect two months of chapters considering how short this hiatus was.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Waiting for Leorio to be relevant again, the longest hiatus of all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I want Don Freecs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don Freecs is probably gonna pop up if they get past the Royal Family / Hoikoros clusterfuck.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Isn't Don long dead? Or am I forgetting the bit where they say he's alive? In any case, I'm not sure I'd expect him to make a showing at this point. Feels more like a bit of worldbuilding to me, establishing the Freecs family lineage. Gon was always gonna be an adventurer just like his dad, just like his granddad. It's in his blood.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He may or may not be dead. The only concrete info we have on Don is that his last known location was the Dark Continent. We know Netero was old as gently caress (over 100 and still incredibly healthy and energetic), and Don was at least as good at Nen as Netero was, since Don survived on the Dark continent long and well enough to write volumes of information on the place.

Who knows how long Netero would have lived, if he hadn't had to kill himself fighting Meruem. Don probably is dead by now, but it's still up in the air until they find his bones.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Isn't Don long dead? Or am I forgetting the bit where they say he's alive? In any case, I'm not sure I'd expect him to make a showing at this point. Feels more like a bit of worldbuilding to me, establishing the Freecs family lineage. Gon was always gonna be an adventurer just like his dad, just like his granddad. It's in his blood.

It's theorized by Ging that Don is still alive since the Book that details things from the Dark Continent is broken into two parts but only one has been found. Factor in the rice of Longevity/Immortality and it's very much possible that Don Freeces is still running around writing the guide.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Schubalts posted:

He may or may not be dead. The only concrete info we have on Don is that his last known location was the Dark Continent. We know Netero was old as gently caress (over 100 and still incredibly healthy and energetic), and Don was at least as good at Nen as Netero was, since Don survived on the Dark continent long and well enough to write volumes of information on the place.

Who knows how long Netero would have lived, if he hadn't had to kill himself fighting Meruem. Don probably is dead by now, but it's still up in the air until they find his bones.

I haven't read the manga, and it being Japan makes it hard somewhat, but the flashbacks to all those feudal looking dojos and Zeno mentioning that he was old even when he was a baby makes me think Netero was knocking on 200 at least.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jeza posted:

I haven't read the manga, and it being Japan makes it hard somewhat, but the flashbacks to all those feudal looking dojos and Zeno mentioning that he was old even when he was a baby makes me think Netero was knocking on 200 at least.

Yeah Zeno's grandfather went on the dark continent trip with Netero.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

Yeah Zeno's grandfather went on the dark continent trip with Netero.

Zeno's father went on the trip with Netero. Zeno's Grandfather had fought Netero in the past.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
After watching parts of the 1998 anime when I was a kid, I finally got around to finishing the Chimera Ant arc.

this show joined Nausicaa in combining two very specific qualities, namely a really intense anti-nuclear bomb message and making me cry over sad bugs

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

meruem was right

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

meruem 2020

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Half of me is really impressed that this fighting shounen anime spent like 19 episodes with practically no fighting in it, just characters reacting to the fruits of their efforts while fully exploring a theme that it seemed to be building up since the Yorknew Arc (even your enemies care about people and suffer, revenge will just make things worse for everyone) and managing to turn the antagonists into better people than the protagonists.

The other half of me is just really sad. :(

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Bug King’s sins can’t be forgiven just because he got a loli girlfriend. I’m sorry ant symphatizers (not loving sorry)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Bug King’s sins can’t be forgiven just because he got a loli girlfriend. I’m sorry ant symphatizers (not loving sorry)
lol

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wild Horses posted:

How can an animal sin? By the time he had a real concept of his self and his place in the world, he resolved not to do poo poo like that anymore. He literally was as moral as it was possible to be in his situation. He went from developing sentience to developing respect for all life in, what, a few months? Christ, that's better than nearly all our protagonists.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mulva posted:

How can an animal sin? By the time he had a real concept of his self and his place in the world, he resolved not to do poo poo like that anymore. He literally was as moral as it was possible to be in his situation. He went from developing sentience to developing respect for all life in, what, a few months? Christ, that's better than nearly all our protagonists.

Uh he still wanted to farm humans in his fight against Netero. He went from "must murder all humans" to "some humans are ok so we'll let them breed like cattle"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

By the end of the arc Meruem was more human and empathic than Netero and Gon both.

Don't forget that Netero and the people ordering him were more than willing to nuke the poo poo out of North Korea Gorteau if it meant stopping the ants. They saw human lives as numbers and nothing more.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Nen ain't free. The palaces of east gorteau gotta be ltiterd with the blood of ants. Ant King MERUEM aka "cell" is not my king. He is a pretender and between the treshold between ant and human : DD nen-curses and revenge, not adventures and friendship ok. praise netero.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Pre-humanization Meruem was the only morally good character in the arc imo.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
meruem dying from poison is more pious than netero and everyone in the arc but even reborn meruem was down to put humanity on the near extinction list

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Considering how much HxH loves to show that humans are huge pieces of poo poo, Meruem's plan wiping out most of humanity doesn't sound too bad.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Nen ain't free. The palaces of east gorteau gotta be ltiterd with the blood of ants. Ant King MERUEM aka "cell" is not my king. He is a pretender and between the treshold between ant and human : DD nen-curses and revenge, not adventures and friendship ok. praise netero.

fresh oc

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kild posted:

Uh he still wanted to farm humans in his fight against Netero. He went from "must murder all humans" to "some humans are ok so we'll let them breed like cattle"

He was going to do things the same way humans operate with things that are lower on the foodchain.

It was always about eating humans because they are a food source and by extension controlling his territory the same way humans do with everything else to control that food source. Is that evil?

Togashi has brought up that concept before in Yu Yu Hakusho, where Yusuke made the point that they have no choice but to eat humans because of their biology, so how can he judge them for it. I think Togashi definitely doesn't see something like that as an inherently bad or evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah: It's "monstrous" in the sense that it's been inflicted upon humans. But you dig a little (not even that much), and it hits you: Humans have been doing that poo poo and had nothing but other humans call them on it. In YYH, it was demons (both with Yusuke's realization and how Sensui went rogue). In HxH, it was the Chimera Ants. If I don't misremember, he also did something similar in Level E. Like, this is Togashi's Junior Year Course, to put it in college terms.