Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Literally everything about the Cell saga in DBZ after the initial setup was the result of an editor telling Toriyama that gero/the androids/imperfect cell weren't good enough and that he had to jazz poo poo up.

That isn't true, the editor in question didn't work on the project but was asked his opinion.

It's a weird urban legend akin to DBZ was supposed to end after (insert favorite arc here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't true, the editor in question didn't work on the project but was asked his opinion.

It's a weird urban legend akin to DBZ was supposed to end after (insert favorite arc here)

The Raditz saga was the true and only ending of Dragon Ball Z, Toriyama was actually planning to kill off Goku and spin off into a series about piccolo and his new son Gohan. I know this because my uncle works at Toriyama.

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, that's a good example. 19 and 20 were meant to be the actual androids (well, cyborg, in the case of the latter), but Toriyama's editor thought that "an old man and a China doll" were terrible villains. Hence, 17 and 18. The editor hated them too and thought they were just some brats or whatever.

I completely agree with that man :colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nuebot posted:

The Raditz saga was the true and only ending of Dragon Ball Z, Toriyama was actually planning to kill off Goku and spin off into a series about piccolo and his new son Gohan. I know this because my uncle works at Toriyama.
My hindsight thinks the story should've ended with Dragonball if it wanted to end well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Then it wouldn't have any of the poo poo that made it what it is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dragon Ball would be a good series if it wasn’t saturated with some really dire bullshit for about 40-50% of it’s run

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dragon Ball needs a Kai, too, honestly. Just go at like half the series with a cleaver.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pretend I posted the Dragon Quest comic Toriyama did

Or don’t because it was loving awful

Toriyama’s early stuff has some kinda lovely really skeevy bits, is what I’m saying

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

My hindsight thinks the story should've ended with Dragonball if it wanted to end well.

From what I hear, it was originally planned to end with the Pilaf saga. Which, among other things, would mean that the only wish on the Dragon Balls we would have seen was Oolong wishing for panties. (Speaking of skeevy bits.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the series was not intended to go on very long. It proved popular so he continued it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My first Experience with Dragonball was the Buu Saga followed by the G-Rated dub edit to the Pilaf Saga.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite DBZ urban legend was the time that Oda met Toriyama and geeked out about Dragonball to him only to discover that Toriyama had no idea what he was talking about cause he'd forgotten so much about the series.

Also reading DB Chou is a trip, there must be an editor keeping track of tiny details because I don't doubt for a second that Toriyama would completely forget that Goku and Android 17 never met, so somebody must have told him and he managed to slip in a fun gag to cover for that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pretend I posted the Dragon Quest comic Toriyama did

Or don’t because it was loving awful

Toriyama’s early stuff has some kinda lovely really skeevy bits, is what I’m saying

In fairness to him, both DQ and FF games had weird pervy bits in there for those that cared. I mean...they were 8 bit dancing ladies, but they were added for a reason.

Toriyama just...gave you some details.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

This thread is the traitor

The comic is the story Deku is telling a new generation of students, and one of them is sending messages to the villains in the past using his quirk.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also reading DB Chou is a trip, there must be an editor keeping track of tiny details because I don't doubt for a second that Toriyama would completely forget that Goku and Android 17 never met, so somebody must have told him and he managed to slip in a fun gag to cover for that.

"DB Chou" may be the most weeaboo poo poo I've read in my life. Dude, it's Super. The series itself uses Super. You know, like Super Saiyan. DORAGON BOORU SUPAH is heard in every episode.

Also Toriyama is only in charge of the outlines for the plot, the manga's drawn and written by big-name fan Toyotarou, previously doujinshi artist Toyble. Toyotarou has a much better memory than Toriyama, being a giant fan of the original work to the point that he likes GT of all things. Too bad he's nowhere near as good of a writer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Toriyama forgot Bulma never saw Freeza so that entire bit with Jaco drawing a sketch of him and her even being at the fight to yell at him was all Toyotaro if memory serves

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There's a lot of really good panels in this chapter

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Considering the private moments we've seen from Aoyama where he's dealing with his fear it'd be weird if he was evil. It seems more likely to me it's set-up to make you think he's the traitor but he's actually asking how to be brave after seeing everything Deku's done up until now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

While staring at him ominously sure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He could have been pressured into being evil, and wants to be brave like Deku. AfO has his sick mother or something and is blackmailing him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've always kind of suspected a "the traitor is being forced to be a traitor" reveal, but I think it's a bit of a copout and would prefer someone be Actually Bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestheHammer posted:

While staring at him ominously sure.

Not saying he's isn't spooky looking in that scene, but is there a moment in the series where his stare isn't a little offputting to most?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Not saying he's isn't spooky looking in that scene, but is there a moment in the series where his stare isn't a little offputting to most?

Yeah, I was gonna say. I don't think Aoyama has more than one facial expression.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Not to that level, I do wonder what motivated him to be a traitor.

Maybe he was just bored.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

He could have been pressured into being evil, and wants to be brave like Deku. AfO has his sick mother or something and is blackmailing him.

yea that would work fine with what we've seen from him so far

I get not believing he's the traitor but I don't get not believing there's any way it makes sense at all

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Maybe Aoyoma is gay for deku. Thats why he asked Uraraka is she liked him. Hes gauging his competition.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Maybe Aoyoma is gay for deku. Thats why he asked Uraraka is she liked him. Hes gauging his competition.

Aoyoma is the traitor, but his love for Deku with cause him to turn on the villains!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

better him than toga I guess

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Shinjobi posted:

Are you suggesting Aoyama doesn't have beautiful eyes?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I've always kind of suspected a "the traitor is being forced to be a traitor" reveal, but I think it's a bit of a copout and would prefer someone be Actually Bad.

Honestly after the resolution of Eri being "actually she just gets better and less OP because it'd be awkward to figure out what to do with her otherwise" I'm thinking copping out isn't off the table.

That was pretty weak for this series imo.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nephthys posted:

Honestly after the resolution of Eri being "actually she just gets better and less OP because it'd be awkward to figure out what to do with her otherwise" I'm thinking copping out isn't off the table.

That was pretty weak for this series imo.

Where are you getting that conclusion from.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The power was in the horn on her head and it shrunk.

It could come back but I have a lot of doubts about it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Could be that it stores up over time, and that was her first big chance to 'purge' since Overhaul got his hands on her. Then it's not a problem solved, just deferred.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yeah I'd say it's a bit premature to say Eri just happened to get depowered. It's not a problem now. That's all we know.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Now I wanna go back and reread that arc to see if Eri's horn changes size over time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kyte posted:

Yeah I'd say it's a bit premature to say Eri just happened to get depowered. It's not a problem now. That's all we know.

Eri very likely isn't coming back. Her power is a pain in the rear end to deal with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What happened to y'all's faith in Horikoshi? Did you hate the Overhaul arc that much?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He had a pretty bad 2017 but there's not much of anything to suggest he can't recover from it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked the Hideout Raid arc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

What happened to y'all's faith in Horikoshi? Did you hate the Overhaul arc that much?

I’m still not sure if I’ll ever quite be ready to love again after Bleach

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’m still not sure if I’ll ever quite be ready to love again after Bleach
I hope you can find some good advice on how to love again.