Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

rydiafan posted:

Wait, I'm a Nazi for asking you an economics question? Like, I didn't even ask it in a lovely trolling way, so I'm not sure why I'm a "garbage human being" or "piece of poo poo".

I don't run Goodwill, dude. You're taking poo poo way too personally.

Ok let's look at what you said wrt disabled people.

rydiafan posted:

Why would they hire somebody who can't get work done for the same wage as somebody who can?

That's not an "economics" question because the wage being discussed is the minimum wage. Emphasis on "minimum". Thankfully we have people like you to pass laws that let the sub-people get paid under that wage. Or is the question - with it's extremely self-evident answer - a rhetorical one? If it's a rhetorical question, why is it being asked? As a joke? What's the punchline? Disabled people live lovely lives and get paid less for doing the same work as their betters because they can't do it as fast? lol? Lot's of people working minimum wage have wildly varying degrees of ability to actually work - you think someone whose 60 has the same level of productivity as someone whose 18? And yet the law says they both have to be paid to the same minimum standard.

How do I read what you wrote in a way that doesn't make it sound like you are either punching down at disabled people or just sort of tacitly endorsing their lot in life? Neither of those is a particularly good look. And if it wasn't 2018 I would back off, give you the benefit of the doubt, I mean sure - you took a shot at a vast swath of the population (for a joke?) - but you're probably not a literal Nazi, right? But then I think about all the literal Nazi's marching in the streets, saying the things you are saying...

e: content - if you ever run out of space just tape poo poo to your walls I guess

sunken fleet has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

rydiafan posted:

This yacht does not belong to the CEO of Goodwill. The CEO of Goodwill has a yearly salary below a million dollars.

Nice boat, but not topical and a total strawman.

Yeah I know :) I also claimed that I should be set up to be king poo poo of everything so that should tell you something :haw:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sunken fleet posted:

A bunch of crazy poo poo.

Good lord dude, you are missing the poo poo out of the point and reading a lot into my question. I'm gonna try asking it again and see if you'll actually read it and respond instead of assuming I murder autistic people for fun.

Situation: A company has a position to fill. There are two applicants. Person A is fully able to perform the job duties. Person B is unable to perform those duties.

Question: Not including financial compensation (which you are quite vocally opposed to) or altruism, please provide to me the motivation for the company to hire Person B.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AutumnDDP posted:

If you can prove this statement, I will agree with you.

They pay a full wage to literally every other employee and in fact many of them get significantly more than minimum wage. They can afford it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flyball posted:

Unfortunately, corporations are 'persons' under US law, and the large ones are de facto more important than actual humans.

Corporate personhood does not mean what you think it means, and is by no means particular to US law.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Imagine you personally could change the law so that you could force companies to pay disabled employees the same as everyone else:

Every single company ever, in unison: "Well gently caress this, im never hiring a disabled person ever again and firing all the ones that work for us!"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A Moose posted:

Imagine you personally could change the law so that you could force companies to pay disabled employees the same as everyone else:

Every single company ever, in unison: "Well gently caress this, im never hiring a disabled person ever again and firing all the ones that work for us!"

I regret to inform you that due to this post you are now a "garbage human being" a "piece of poo poo" and a "Nazi". :(

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Lifehack: stop having political derails on the lifehack thread and instead post funny content.

Wrap presents in your old pantyhose!

Nothing as festive as that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A Moose posted:

maybe there's something wrong with the system

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

maybe there's something wrong with the system

*Somebody's* gonna get laid when he goes off to college.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

*Somebody's* gonna get laid when he goes off to college.

This is the only reason anyone ever espouses altruism. :jerkbag:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the only reason i do things is to have sex with women, so everyone else must be the same way???

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

They pay a full wage to literally every other employee and in fact many of them get significantly more than minimum wage. They can afford it.

What's the ratio of disabled employees to non-disabled ones? I honestly have no idea, but I'd like to know if you have any info on that angle. Do you think it would be feasible to extend min wage to all employees then?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just interested. In principle, I agree with the idea that we should pay disabled individuals the same as everyone else. It just flies out the window if Goodwill doesn't make enough revenue to cover something like that, since most other companies wouldn't hire them either.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

This is the only reason anyone ever espouses altruism. :jerkbag:

Saying other people should be required to do things isn’t altruism.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The issue isn't whether or not they can afford to do it with all current employees. The issue is, in a capitalist society, why would a company choose to pay the same amount for a worker that is less productive? Companies don't see employees as people, they see them as resources. And to keep profits high, a company is going to look for the most economically priced resources available to them. And when two resources are priced the same, they're going to choose the more efficient resource.

Yeah, you could force all companies to pay employees minimum wage. But, what you're missing is that there's an income below minimum wage, and that income is $0. That's exactly the income that every single disabled person will get instead of minimum wage, because companies will only hire fully capable employees if they're forced to pay the same regardless of abilities.

I'm not saying it's fair, or right, and I'm definitely not saying that disabled people are inhuman monsters who don't deserve better, but I'm just stating the facts of corporate profit and loss.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

rydiafan posted:

This yacht does not belong to the CEO of Goodwill. The CEO of Goodwill has a yearly salary below a million dollars.

Nice boat, but not topical and a total strawman.

If you check Goodwill's 2016 form 990 (which all non profits need to make publicly available) it says they paid the CEO $992,120 in W-2 income and $122,255 in other compensation. So he definitely does make over a million a year.

That said the CEO of pretty much every chairity makes bank: American Red Cross CEO makes $527,364 W-2 and $39,408 other compensation, United Way CEO makes $849,581 W-2 and $387,030 other compensation, St. Jude CEO makes $996,444 W-2 and $136,555 other compensation.

Just Google "[charity name] form 990" and go crazy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the Non-Profit Industrial Complex is real

problem: no-one will hold your hand
lifehack:

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Jan 21, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Saying other people should be required to do things isn’t altruism.

“Good things” sounded stupid and I didn’t want to use the word :ducksiren: “virtue” :ducksiren:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:gas: this thread

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

problem: no-one will hold your hand
lifehack:

Wow, impressive!

Now let's analyse the other objects in frame. Question 1: what are they?
Question 2: are they part of the hack, or part of the problem?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Karate Bastard posted:

Wow, impressive!

Now let's analyse the other objects in frame. Question 1: what are they?
Question 2: are they part of the hack, or part of the problem?

Question 3: Can you gently caress them?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't say how exactly this is a hack, but I know a hack when I see it damnit!

https://i.imgur.com/UjJ0hiv.mp4

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Karate Bastard posted:

I can't say how exactly this is a hack, but I know a hack when I see it damnit!

https://i.imgur.com/UjJ0hiv.mp4

Decent profit for probably single digits worth of gold.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And looks like a gilded turd ouroboros :haw:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I got some gold on my fingers I'm just gonna wipe it off on this grate here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gold leaf is cheap enough that a friend's dad who was into crafts gave me several sheets to gently caress around with when I was a kid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wooper posted:

I got some gold on my fingers I'm just gonna wipe it off on this grate here.

Also I'll use gloves to put it on but then take them off and touch everything all over.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's poisonous.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo's like $40 for a pack of 25: https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Gold-Leaf-leaves-85mmx85mm/dp/B0006GSQYK

That's a very GWM lifehack. Use $0.25 of gold leaf and up charge it by 400x to bougie hipsters. Life hacked.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Time to make some gold leaf beef jerky and selling it for like $50 a pound.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Plinkey posted:

Time to make some gold leaf beef jerky and selling it for like $50 a pound.

Oh, Louisgod's back?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Gold leaf tastes horrible.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, Louisgod's back?

Use the gold leaf to impart the shiny appearance of fat

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rydiafan posted:

The issue isn't whether or not they can afford to do it with all current employees. The issue is, in a capitalist society, why would a company choose to pay the same amount for a worker that is less productive? Companies don't see employees as people, they see them as resources. And to keep profits high, a company is going to look for the most economically priced resources available to them. And when two resources are priced the same, they're going to choose the more efficient resource.

Yeah, you could force all companies to pay employees minimum wage. But, what you're missing is that there's an income below minimum wage, and that income is $0. That's exactly the income that every single disabled person will get instead of minimum wage, because companies will only hire fully capable employees if they're forced to pay the same regardless of abilities.

I'm not saying it's fair, or right, and I'm definitely not saying that disabled people are inhuman monsters who don't deserve better, but I'm just stating the facts of corporate profit and loss.

What you're saying is irrelevant to the conversation.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some amazing life hacks with balloons (looks like it was made in Russia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn36fiOzz6s

Edit: This whole channel is great. Cat hacks. Maybe they don't have pet stores in Russia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKGR00o2h8

Alterian has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Jan 22, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alterian posted:

Edit: This whole channel is great. Cat hacks. Maybe they don't have pet stores in Russia.

Have you ever met a cat that preferred fancy store bought toys to random packaging? Skip the disappointment, make cat toys out of trash.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Alterian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKGR00o2h8

I love the one that's just "use a tupperware container to store things."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how within 30 seconds the person doing it almost stabs themselves multiple times trying to cut a plastic container with a utility knife.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I like how within 30 seconds the person doing it almost stabs themselves multiple times trying to cut a plastic container with a utility knife.

It's not a life hack until someone bleeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Have you ever met a cat that preferred fancy store bought toys to random packaging? Skip the disappointment, make cat toys out of trash.

Sounds legit, my cats will literally scoop turds out of the litterbox to play hockey with if I miss cleaning it for a day. And this is after I dropped about twenty bucks on a variety of balls, bells, feathers, catnip mice, and other cat stuff.