Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tias posted:

Hey, so, a lot of U.S. goons in here, clearly, but aren't a lot of you in Germany as well? I was wondering where in the world people in this thread are located. Obviously you don't have to answer, it's a private matter etc. etc. but I thought it could be cool to know the relative distance between us.

I'm in the UK, quite near London. I have easy access to a spectacular cathedral which is very beautiful and serene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dropping in with a book reccomendation: Karl Marlantes' What it is Like to Go to War is incredible and good to have around to loan out to anyone struggling with the aftermath of being in one.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

I'm in the UK, quite near London. I have easy access to a spectacular cathedral which is very beautiful and serene.

I might be seeing HEY GAL in London, perhaps you can pop by?

shame on an IGA posted:

Dropping in with a book reccomendation: Karl Marlantes' What it is Like to Go to War is incredible and good to have around to loan out to anyone struggling with the aftermath of being in one.

If we're talking Marlantes, Firebase: Matterhorn is an amazing vietnam story.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tias posted:

Hey, so, a lot of U.S. goons in here, clearly, but aren't a lot of you in Germany as well? I was wondering where in the world people in this thread are located. Obviously you don't have to answer, it's a private matter etc. etc. but I thought it could be cool to know the relative distance between us.

Yeah, I'm (back) in southern Germany now too :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tias posted:

I might be seeing HEY GAL in London, perhaps you can pop by?

Drop me a PM near the time and I'll see how it looks, sure :)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Shameless derail: what are your favorite local or traditional liturgical dishes, dear Christianity thread?

I don't really care about cake, so Anglicanism has little to offer me. The Presbyterian church I went to growing up did Sunday lunches, tailored to the tastes of elderly Scots. The smell of mince cooking always reminds me of Sunday School.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/austinruse/status/954797316887711744

Who is Austin Ruse?

Austin Ruse, president of the Catholic Center for Family and Human Rights (C-FAM)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's great that they make it really clear they're wicked heretics in it only for temporal power and wealth.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

It's great that they make it really clear they're wicked heretics in it only for temporal power and wealth.
it really makes their repeated calls to stop being so goddamned queer sting a little less, doesn't it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, I'm not as vigilant in my reading in the last few years as I should be since I briefly flirted with getting out of religious studies (I've decided I'm going to get back in, instead), but if I remember right the whole 'Making my father's house into a den of thieves' is pretty much the only thing that made Christ, the Prince of Peace, mad enough to just take a whip to some folks.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

can somebody translate this from American politics into something that actually makes sense for me

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

System Metternich posted:

can somebody translate this from American politics into something that actually makes sense for me

He's saying he'll still fervantly support the president despite him having committed adultery multiple times and having paid hush money because at least Trump didn't sleep with another man or kill the girl after, while saying that sleeping with another man or killing the girl are the only standards of 'morality' he'd withdraw support for.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

He's saying he'll still fervantly support the president despite him having committed adultery multiple times and having paid hush money because at least Trump didn't sleep with another man or kill the girl after, while saying that sleeping with another man or killing the girl are the only standards of 'morality' he'd withdraw support for.

Wtf :psyduck: Thanks, I guess :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wtf :psyduck: Thanks, I guess :v:

'Caught with a dead girl or live boy' are a joking bit of slang for things that can end a male politician's career instantly in the US.

Given the Evangelical Right was 100% behind a credibly accused pedophile in Alabama (who thankfully still ate poo poo in the election) I'm not 100% sure that a dead girl or whatever would actually do it with them anymore. There's a lot of interesting polling showing that since a certain orange jerk because President, they've suddenly totally flipped around on if it's okay for a leader to be 'immoral'.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

Given the Evangelical Right was 100% behind a credibly accused pedophile in Alabama (who thankfully still ate poo poo in the election) I'm not 100% sure that a dead girl or whatever would actually do it with them anymore.
those were all live girls

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy" was a quote from a Louisiana governor back in the eighties, it's become a stock phrase for American political pundits. The sentiment he's expressing is of course super gross but the phrasing isn't original.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

American politics ...something that actually makes sense
naah

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

P-Mack posted:

"The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy" was a quote from a Louisiana governor back in the eighties, it's become a stock phrase for American political pundits.

The governor in question being Edwin Edwards, who was extremely quotable. In the same elect8on, he said his opponent was so dumb, it took him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

The governor in question being Edwin Edwards, who was extremely quotable. In the same elect8on, he said his opponent was so dumb, it took him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.
people from the US southern states have a way with words

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

people from the US southern states have a way with words

Another bit of Southern lingo you'll run into on occasion: "Bless your heart!" This roughly translates to "gently caress you."

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like the GBS way of saying gently caress you, which is 'Namaste'

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Night10194 posted:

There's a lot of interesting polling showing that since a certain orange jerk because President, they've suddenly totally flipped around on if it's okay for a leader to be 'immoral'.

Most hardcore Calvinists I know think Trump is on the bullet train to hell. They've just started up with the "sometimes God appoints wicked rulers to do good" thing (Obama was also a wicked ruler but he was God's judgment on the US, ofc.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Most hardcore Calvinists I know think Trump is on the bullet train to hell. They've just started up with the "sometimes God appoints wicked rulers to do good" thing (Obama was also a wicked ruler but he was God's judgment on the US, ofc.)

Whenever I see this justification I'm reminded that the role he uses 'wicked' people in in the Old Testament is usually 'the iron rod of my anger', as you say in the parenthetical.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

there's a certain argument that trump is God's judgement on america but not in the way they're thinking

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

Well, right, but with Obama it was "we must not elect this wicked man, lest God punish us" and now it's "we had to elect this wicked man, lest God punish us", and you'd think God could appoint a wicked Democrat to do good as easily as a wicked Republican, right? (You'd think.)

Night10194 posted:

Whenever I see this justification I'm reminded that the role he uses 'wicked' people in in the Old Testament is usually 'the iron rod of my anger', as you say in the parenthetical.

I am not convinced that this isn't the case. I know the US isn't God's chosen nation and I certainly don't think it was mentioned in the Bible. I don't think the Constitution was divinely inspired, either. But I do think God intervenes in the fate of nations as much as he does in the fate of people (and that that's "often", to forestall the inevitable, "so, not at all, then?"), and giving a country a wicked ruler is kind of a recurring theme in the Bible!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They believe in a god so weak he can be contained by their magic spells.

I mean, that's what prosperity gospel is, at its heart. Magic. "Incant the right words, make a sacrifice, and enact your will thus that you will have temporal wealth and prosper and also be saved."

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Night10194 posted:

I mean, that's what prosperity gospel is, at its heart. Magic. "Incant the right words, make a sacrifice, and enact your will thus that you will have temporal wealth and prosper and also be saved."

"For it harmeth none, give me thou seed money."

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 23, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I've posted it in this thread before (or maybe the last) but it's bizarre how people who think Dungeons and Dragons is witchcraft are okay with practicing theurgy as long as it has a thin Christian veneer.

Name it and claim it!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I've played D&D before, and I would consider doing so again. I've even gone so far as to be a DM one time!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
My parents never read to me but they did let me look at their AD&D Monster Manual. I saw cartoon dryad breasts too young. :frogc00l:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
help, there's a buffalo herd outside my office

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the campus sits next to a small lake, the tribe's buffalo herd is in a pasture across the lake but there is not a fence in the lake

the lake is frozen and some of them decided to wander across the lake and hang out on campus

buffalo can be really aggressive so there's a minor crisis going on as the buffalo ranch staff try to figure out how to get them off campus and make sure they don't cross back

edit:
this was this morning, before they invaded campus

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 24, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
post closeups of the herd

are they at your window itself?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

I've played D&D before, and I would consider doing so again. I've even gone so far as to be a DM one time!
I'm going to run an RPG online at some ill-defined point in the future, it'll involve occultism and weird history, you're welcome if you want

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

post closeups of the herd

are they at your window itself?

I don't think so, I'm in class and just got the email notification. I'm exaggerating a bit, but there are a few animals on campus somewhere.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
#justpellisworththings

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

#justpellisworththings

Like you never got a text message closing the library because a six foot gator got inside when you were in college.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Like you never got a text message closing the library because a six foot gator got inside when you were in college.
we did have a minor bear kerfuffle once

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GUNS posted:

I'm going to run an RPG online at some ill-defined point in the future, it'll involve occultism and weird history, you're welcome if you want

Provided the time zones line up I'd be into that. One of the nerdiest things I've ever done was alpha-test an RPG that a friend of mine invented herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

Provided the time zones line up I'd be into that. One of the nerdiest things I've ever done was alpha-test an RPG that a friend of mine invented herself.
It'll be play-by-post, since my friends and i are scattered throughout the world

• Locked thread