Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AttackBacon posted:

Spoilers (Endgame Stuff): Fifth area is confirmed, it's called the Everstream and seems to have a lava portion and some kind of ice or crystal portion. No more info than simply the map picture so far, but it's the zone we've been seeing in the last two trailers.

Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does anyone have that gif of someone slamming down a monster that's trying to jump over with the insect glaive vault?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
You know what, Brachy might just be my favorite monster. Sure had to learn that fight well when making the highest grade Blast element Switch Axe in 3u... he's just a big stompy goopy splodey puppy :kimchi:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Squidtentacle posted:

It was more of a technical limitation than anything, but the handheld and very early games completely removed small monsters from any Elder Dragon missions. It was such an eerie thing, running through these areas that used to be full of herds of herbivores or annoying bugs and just seeing...nothing. Then you find the Elder Dragon and it roars at you, and it all underscores that you're fighting something more like a force of nature than a creature.

Phone typing sucks, will bring up more stuff later if you're interested.

I loved this about elder dragons, along with the fact that you repelled them instead of killing them. It gave such a sense of a huge, epic battle. You can to fight each one like 3-5 times before they went down, and it felt like such a huge accomplishment. I feel like there hasn't been any repel quests in a long time?

gently caress carrying quests, though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Hey since there's a lot of new people coming in (including me) Anyone want to share some stories or say some cool moments or things about past installments? There's a good LP in the lparchive but that will take some time before release. I want to hear little things about what made the old games special that aren't mentioned in the LP like goofy mo cap animations or how they handled atmosphere on handhelds

once upon a time there was a monster called tigrex that charged at you constantly and did massive damage and most people died many many times trying to beat it

some people got so good at timings that they knew where to charge a greatsword to smack tigrex out of their charge in the ultimate game of chicken
https://youtu.be/kSOi1GizEco?t=2m49s

note how much health they lose when they gently caress up

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Tigrex was my first wall in MH. I got really pissed and thought the game was bullshit, but my friend told me to stay patient, and killing him was incredibly satisfying. MH is so good at giving you a fight you think is impossible, letting you learn and master it, then saying “ok now fight the harder version. Ok, good. Now fight the harder version at the same time as this other mon.”

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHnOrW-5K1c

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Portable 3rd was the first game I really went the distance in and Nargacuga was a huge wall to me for hours and hours, drove me absolutely crazy. Kept at it and learned so much fighting him, and now I love that big kitty cat.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My first brick wall was Barroth in Tri, I just could not beat that muddy fucker. I think it was one of SocialDissonance's old videos that suggested making the Royal Ludroth lance for him, and after I did that he was still hard, but actually doable. And it started a love affair with lance that continued for a few games. :v:

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Important question wrt to armor spoiler Do the alpha and beta sets look different?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
My stone wall for Tri was Gobul. I miss that thing now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Important question wrt to armor spoiler Do the alpha and beta sets look different?

yes

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

YES!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

a little bit. The only one I can easily remember is the male Anjanath beta set has lighter colored fur and the facemask is open.

The Mime
Jan 21, 2008

ill get the moose back

Ciaphas posted:

Got a sick action killshot as a bonus too.

This fight really sold me on ranged weapons..

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Mime posted:

This fight really sold me on ranged weapons..

I'm kinda sold too. As long as I get enough ammo in my inventory to not have to craft mid hunt, like I do with bow Power Coatings (I don't care how easy it is), anyway. :v:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Intoluene posted:

My stone wall for Tri was Gobul. I miss that thing now.

Tri was my first game, and one of my fondest memories of it is fighting the Gobul and then having the Plesioth come in (we did not, up until that point, know that that could happen) and wreck everyone's poo poo. Even the Gobul kind of stopped as it left, as if to say "y'all seeing this poo poo?!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Hey since there's a lot of new people coming in (including me) Anyone want to share some stories or say some cool moments or things about past installments? There's a good LP in the lparchive but that will take some time before release. I want to hear little things about what made the old games special that aren't mentioned in the LP like goofy mo cap animations or how they handled atmosphere on handhelds
whilst browsing the 'tube i came upon this classic and felt instant burning rage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALQCWUlinM

which in turn led me to his latest video, about mh world

it's... accurate????????????

(check your volume)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cmmtqc75us

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

My stone wall for MHFU was Basarios. I never missed him, but kept bouncing back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

And yeah, when the full game comes out we'll have the option to just head out and dick around without even being on a hunt :) past MH games didn't even let you do that! They had that dumb gather quest thing as a stopgap.

wait what? I somehow missed this!

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Colorspray posted:

My stone wall for MHFU was Basarios. I never missed him, but kept bouncing back.

:golfclap:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its confusing at first but once you get the hang of it its a pretty dang cool huge zone.

And yeah, when the full game comes out we'll have the option to just head out and dick around without even being on a hunt :) past MH games didn't even let you do that! They had that dumb gather quest thing as a stopgap.

sexpig by night posted:

Yeah, it’s cool that feature is coming back from Tri.

I hope it will be more than just the forest area, but that alone is pretty cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They're very similar, but there is definite variation. For the one set that was leaked before they were mostly the same but the helmet and shoulder pads were a different style.

sexpig by night posted:

They're really focusing on the open-world angle for this one. That's why you can change your equipment and eat food out in the field instead of doing it before the hunt; because now you don't even necessarily have to be on a hunt. Supposedly you can choose to hang around after a hunt too, you're not instantly booted back to the town.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

You do in fact, have to discover all those camps you can fast travel to and from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yeah, it’s cool that feature is coming back from Tri.

I hope it will be more than just the forest area, but that alone is pretty cool.

That's true, in Tri you could just walk out the gates if you wanted. But if you wanted to go to any other zones, you had to do a gather quest.

Yeah with any luck we'll be able to warp to any zone freely.

Bombadilillo posted:

You do in fact, have to discover all those camps you can fast travel to and from.

Also some quests will dump you at a random camp, the way high-rank in past MH games would dump you in a random zone with no map.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

did someone say 'post a bunch of vintage mh videos to get hyped'

heres some more of what youve missed
ukanlos.avi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkUsYpLdgWw
brachy.mkv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk5cUQd2NfQ

this isnt vintage but its great
hunting_horn.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyaQBCqFwJM

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

In the Forrest zone if you keep to the right from the starting camp, past the beach it would keep going to what looks like the gate to the town. Monsters never went there so unless you explore you didn't see it.

I think the demo started us on the other side of the map that the full game will.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 22, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

this isnt vintage but its great
hunting_horn.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyaQBCqFwJM

Bwahaha

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Never played a MH game before.

You guys scare me. I have a friend that has been playing the beta til the last day, until late every night.

I don't know how a supercasual will fit in all here. I guest I will be the random guy doing 2+2+2+2+2+8 damage and breaking the wrong body part in the wrong moment....

.....Sorry!!.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's fine, I was that guy at the beginning of the demo snd it clicked on me with my second hunt. This game knows what it's doing and will give every opprtunity it can for a new player to get their footing in if given persistance.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All are welcome on the hunt.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tei posted:

You guys scare me. I have a friend that has been playing the beta til the last day, until late every night.

I don't know how a supercasual will fit in all here. I guest I will be the random guy doing 2+2+2+2+2+8 damage and breaking the wrong body part in the wrong moment....

.....Sorry!!.

There's no real wrong time to break a part if that makes you feel better. The worst that can happen is like... the monster gets flinched out of their paralyze/trap/KO a little early.

Grab your weapon of choice and remember: the bigger the monster, the bigger the hat it will make.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Tei posted:

.....Sorry!!.

We were all that person once, it is only with time and practice that you become able to do 2sick2nasty stuff like you see in the thread. Make sure you join the discord (:siren:LINK'S IN THE OP:siren: ) if you want some help or some buddies to help with hunts.

Huxley posted:

All are welcome on the hunt.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 22, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I hope there are more gestures in the full game because not having the ability to prance is a crime.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

This was a cool hammer video from mhx

https://youtu.be/TfAF_FLEVfA

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LawfulWaffle posted:

I hope there are more gestures in the full game because not having the ability to prance is a crime.

Supposedly prance will be added in a day 1 patch.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bad Parenting posted:

This was a cool hammer video from mhx

https://youtu.be/TfAF_FLEVfA

My 3 year old and I watched this over breakfast, and now she's hitting a stuffed dinosaur with a plastic hammer and it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I’m f*uckin hype for this bad boy. No ups.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Drag Race Thursday, MHW Friday, NXT Takeover Saturday. It's going to be a good week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm looking forward to grabbing a switch axe and being the gunblade man making everything and everyone explode all day long.

I gotta say I love just about everything about how the insect glaive plays except for needing to manage the kinsect and buffs so I hope some future Monster Hunter game gives me another swingy, slashy polearm option.