Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No big deal, just bailing out my good friends at SUNY Poly!

https://twitter.com/JimHeaney/status/954044991512416258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm about halfway through Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy.

Highly recommend if you want to remind yourself what a piece of poo poo state this is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
First Frank Commisso Jr. loses the Dem primary for Albany mayor, and now Sr. is ousted in the county. Not a good time for the dynasty.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Matt Zerella posted:

the people's republic of Vermont is right there and is a kickass state. I miss Burlington a lot.

Will Bernie give me a six figgie computer touching job? Because the commute from Vermont is pretty brutal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mrmcd posted:

Will Bernie give me a six figgie computer touching job? Because the commute from Vermont is pretty brutal.

move to Vermont and get a job with burton or something. there are a decent amount of tech jobs for you google tech bros up there.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

move to Vermont and get a job with burton or something. there are a decent amount of tech jobs for you google tech bros up there.

TBH if I were to do the chill life in a semi-rural outdoorsey state thing it would probably be somewhere in mountain time zone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

mrmcd posted:

TBH if I were to do the chill life in a semi-rural outdoorsey state thing it would probably be somewhere in mountain time zone.

for me it's close enough to my family in NY but gets me out from underneath the garbage that is the NY State govt. and Bernie would be my senator :3: instead of Chuck "let's build the wall" Schumer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

First Frank Commisso Jr. loses the Dem primary for Albany mayor, and now Sr. is ousted in the county. Not a good time for the dynasty.
i crave more blood

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wish chuck would retire soon. ho hum.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

can’t cuck the chuck

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/955113053841862656

What, they can't just take the Staten Island Ferry like the other cheap schlubs?

Edit: more Cuomo nonsense:

https://twitter.com/danrivoli/status/955076869711433729

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Jan 21, 2018

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

I just posted about this in the LAN thread, blaming ConEd has a lot of angles to it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grah posted:

I just posted about this in the LAN thread, blaming ConEd has a lot of angles to it.

You should cross-post it here, it's good stuff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cuomo is transparently not caring about running the state first and foremost, and our voters are stupid enough to give him a third term

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You should cross-post it here, it's good stuff.

I always thought crossposting was frowned upon on these Something Awful dot com forums, but sure.

grah posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/new-york/mta-brass-pushed-link-subway-delays-power-problems-article-1.3769202

Shocking news guys, MTA brass is full of poo poo!

(There are legitimate issues with how we take power from ConEd and use it, and the bullshit here cuts both ways as well. MTA managers blamed ConEd as a way of passing the buck--but it's not really their fault that upgrades are so far behind, the money has never been there for real system wide upgrades. At the same time, Cuomo used this "ConEd is the problem" line to bypass collective bargaining agreements about outside contractors. If ConEdison is paying the contractors instead of the MTA, then Local 100 has no standing to claim the work could or should be done in-house. Even though most of the work they're doing--replacing god drat fuses and bootleg pins--is totally within in house capability. It let Cuomo go around the Union (even as the union kissed his rear end as hard as it could and attacked DeBlasio for no really good reason other than cozying up to Cuomo more) and get private contractors onto the property en masse. And he gets to ConEdison with most of the bill for it. )

And on TWU support for Cuomo:

grah posted:

There's a lot of pieces to this. The biggest is that the main body of more radical, left aligned union leadership, Progressive Action, was and largely is still the party of Roger Toussaint. Toussaint was popular, especially among black union members and the Department of Busses, which are two (overlapping) gigantic parts of the Local's constituency. But he also had a huge air of corruption about him, made a lot of personal enemies, and managed to alienate a lot of the union--including in Busses. He oversaw the bankruptcy of TWU's health benefit trust and the transfer of control to the MTA, and he oversaw a very questionable sale of the union hall in Manhattan. Selling the hall and buying something cheaper in downtown Brooklyn made some sense, and honestly I don't know all the truth o what happened, but the consensus among a lot of union rank and file is that the building was sold on the cheap to Toussaint's friends or relatives. He also oversaw the disastrous 2-day strike in 2005, which is the only time TWU has ever gone out on strike and come back to a worse deal than was on offer beforehand.

Because of all this, Progressive Action's name, for an entire generation of Transit Workers, is mud. And his political heirs in people like Joe Campbell have not done themselves any favors on that account. Shut out of power, they've become almost a joke--they criticize everything the union does, and blame everything bad that ever happens on John Samuellson, Tony Utano, and Stand United, the current political party in charge of the union.

In the best of times, Union politics in TWU are not great. Elections run on a slate system, and it is very difficult to win even relatively minor office without the support of Stand United right now. Incumbency is powerful, and Progressive Action is not easy to take seriously as an alternative to Stand United, who, until recently, have been pretty okay for the Union.

There's also a huge racial component to all this which I am not super equipped to unpack. Near as I can tell, Toussaint had enough stink about him, to ultimately split the black vote, and Campbell lacks the separation from him or the personal charisma to put back together the coalition that got Progressive Action in power in the first place. Stand United's leadership is largely white, though that is gradually changing.

Stand United is not exactly right wing. They endorsed Sanders in the Democratic Primary and no one in the General presidential election. They believe in some broad sense in labor power and the parts of leftism immediately adjacent to that, but they're more like slightly-left-Liberals than anything.

Tony Utano is the current head of the Local, and he's a good guy in a lot of ways. I like him personally, and he absolutely wants the best he can get for the rank and file. But he, and Stand United in general, believe that the best way to accomplish that is to have good relationships with management and the governor. They turned on DeBlasio because it was an easy way to get in with the governor, and the truth is DeBlasio has no power to really hurt Local 100 if the governor is on board. He just doesn't have the level of control over the MTA board--and consequently he can't really help them either. So if TWU was going to take a side in the DeBlasio-Cuomo feud, backing DeBlasio was kind of a non-starter. It would be spiting the guy that has real control over salary and contract negotiations and budgetary issues. They probably should have just stayed the hell out of it.

Stand United isn't radical in quite the way Progressive Action was. They don't have a sense of wider solidarity with the labor movement. I think pension reform is a really good example. New York State created Tier VI of its pension system some years back. This was done legislatively, signed by Cuomo (of course), and is a serious weakening of the pension system. It increases the retirement age, increases worker contribution to as high as 6% of gross salary (from a flat 2% previously), drastically limits how much overtime pay is pensionable, and increases the service time necessary to qualify for a pension, among other things. But TWU was one of a small number of groups exempted from the age and time increases. There is still a (anemic, in my opinion) campaign by TWU to push back Tier VI to be in line with the older pension system. I suggested to Tony Utano once that we work with the other unions in the state to create a broad based unified push in Albany, and the response I got was, almost verbatim "why would we want to waste our energy fighting to get them [other unions] what we've already got? When they get to where we are, we'll fight with them for something better, but right now we are only concerned with improving pensions for TWU".

And that's kind of the whole problem with them. They mean well by the union, and I can understand there's a degree to which you have to prioritize your own membership over members of other unions. But that's really small thinking, and it hurts both TWU and wider labor in the long run. And the truth is that a big component of them not pushing too hard on Tier VI is that they don't want to upset Cuomo. And this kind of mentality is how they do business up and down the ladder. They prefer to avoid fights and maintain the best relationships they can with management.

I'm all for maintaining good relationships with bosses whe you can, but sometimes Stand United forgets that the bosses are not our friends. And now they're stuck in this huge mess, because they basically unilaterally abdicated their ability to criticize or seriously push back against Cuomo. It's kind of a disappointing mess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grah posted:

I always thought crossposting was frowned upon on these Something Awful dot com forums, but sure.

I don't think it's been the case for a long time, but if any mod/admin is reading this and frowns upon it, they're welcome to give me your punishment, instead.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New York City should secede from New York and form New New York instead

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

New York City should secede from New York and form New New York instead

No, you see, that's our angle, because those tax-and-spend NYC democrats are keeping Upstate down! :bahgawd:

Proceed to gut all social services, need constant Federal bailouts just to function, and eventually beg Vermont to annex us

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good writeup. i created this thread as a way to separate the politics chat from the LAN thread, so if there are no rules against crossposting stuff from there to discuss here, go right on ahead

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Crossposting is pretty common in C-SPAM

Thanks for compiling those writeups grah

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

get that OUT of my face posted:

cuomo is transparently not caring about running the state first and foremost, and our voters are stupid enough to give him a third term

it isn't that voters are dumb, it's that the best potential primary challengers have decided to take a pass.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

it isn't that voters are dumb, it's that the best potential primary challengers have decided to take a pass.
column A, column B. if cuomo didn't have so much sway over the state democratic party, somebody like schneiderman would have taken a shot at him. at the same time, cuomo's approval is over 60%, so the fact that our voters are just that stupid plays into it too

jumaane is smart in going for the lieutenant governor position, he'd stand no chance in the general and this is kind of the least he can do

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Jan 22, 2018

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

is he really that popular? I've never met anyone who likes him. I'm a pretty moderate democrat by the standards of this forum and even I think he's a piece of poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, quick question to settle an argument: do working-class New Yorkers drive into Manhattan? Is there information about the socio-economic profile of people who do this? I've always assumed anybody who possibly could, unless they're celebrities or in finance or whatever, use the subways, buses, LIRR, etc.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Back in the early ‘90s when my dad’s FedEx route was in Chelsea, he’d drive from Queens to the West Side at about 4 AM every weekday, but since then, I’ve not known anyone to do it.

so basically the only ethical choice is heavy congestion pricing

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, quick question to settle an argument: do working-class New Yorkers drive into Manhattan? Is there information about the socio-economic profile of people who do this? I've always assumed anybody who possibly could, unless they're celebrities or in finance or whatever, use the subways, buses, LIRR, etc.

Aside from very specific circumstances (I've known a couple Bronx guys who drive into the city for night shift work and do street parking), no.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are a ton of longtime Secret Neighborhood residents who have cars and are super attached to them, but I don't know if they drive into Manhattan specifically.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I imagine it's largely a function of if you live in a neighborhood without good trains and have somewhere to park it affordably at work.

I don't have any hard data though sorry.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't have any empirical data but there's so many loving cars everywhere. they can't all be rich people, right?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
anecdotally two coworkers of mine both drive in to work in the west village fairly often, from somewhere in queens and nearish Crown Heights.

I think they are idiots.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I have to go to Brooklyn or Queens, I might drive, because the trains from the Bronx to some parts of BK or Queens are like, 2 hours, and driving through Manhattan is toll free and usually significantly faster.

Sometimes my wife drives to work down by the Battery if she's running late or needs to go somewhere right afterwards.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

considering the high cost of having a car in NYC, i can't imagine too many working-class people here driving into Manhattan for work. it's not going to effectively raise money for the MTA because it'll go for a Long Island-to-Westchester tunnel that nobody wants, instead of the subway repairs that we actually need

Ogmius815 posted:

is he really that popular? I've never met anyone who likes him. I'm a pretty moderate democrat by the standards of this forum and even I think he's a piece of poo poo.
the latest Siena poll put him at 62% approval and it's barely ever gone below 50%, so apparently he's quite popular for whatever reason

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a long island sound tunnel would probably be agood thing in like 2165 or whenever they finally fix the poo poo thats already built and broken

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

grah posted:

The coziness between union management, business, and governmental honchos is responsible for the decline in union rates since the mid-century. It's more organizer led unions, like Nevada's Culinary Union or Carpenters Union (which split from the AFL-CIO), that has been the only stymie for that trend.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shageletic posted:

The coziness between union management, business, and governmental honchos is responsible for the decline in union rates since the mid-century. It's more organizer led unions, like Nevada's Culinary Union or Carpenters Union (which split from the AFL-CIO), that has been the only stymie for that trend.

It's true that alternative models are showing desperately needed signs of life (see More Perfect Unions on co-ops in City Journal, Here's ONe Union that Can't be Touched by Right-to-Work Laws in The Nation on the IWW and solidarity unionism, anything on the UE's recent contract victories). That said, I think it's wrong to point the figure at union leadership as being "responsible for the decline in union rates."

The climate is just really, really tough - the government has become more "pro-business" and the global economy has made it easier than ever for corporate power to cut and run from militant demands. I highly recommend this Gabriel Winant essay that ran in N+1 a couple years ago, "Who Works for the Workers?" It traces how labor has responded to changing circumstances and how their choices were circumscribed by material conditions and obstacles.

winant posted:

The organic integration of the working-class social world is gone. To remember, and keep remembering, now happens only on purpose. Memory looks like an office, with file cabinets and framed pictures from past victories. It smells like printer ink and sounds like bitter narratives of defeat often repeated, with lessons learned. It costs money to keep, and it takes sustained and uninterrupted time to accumulate. To remember and renew is itself an act of defiance: each dollar in dues money, each hour spent in some interminable meeting, passes the tradition on, despite constant efforts to extinguish it.

Just because a political project is difficult, in other words, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing it wrong. It could just be that it’s hard — that the opposition is fearsome and you haven’t cracked it yet. Some kinds of success are bought with a dozen or a hundred failures. The key is to be there for the next round, and to know a chance when you see it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LONG TRIP REPORT: Last night I went with the New Kings Democrats to the semi-annual meeting of the Kings County Democratic Committee.

For those who don't know, NKD is a political club founded in 2009 by a group of Democrats that wanted to help about the Brooklyn party but were told by then-boss Vito Lopez to get lost. Their goal is to make the local Democratic party more transparent and more accountable by bringing as many people as possible onto the County Committee. As things stand now, much of the committee effectively concedes their decision making to the current party boss Frank Seddio, who's a step up from Lopez and has given in to some of the demands they've made, but is still trying to do what he can to maintain a grip on the party. Some of NKD's star pupils are Antonio Reynoso (NY city councilmember for Williamsburg and Greenpoint), Bobby Carroll (NY state assemblyman for Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, and Kensington- also the one that represents me), and Nick Rizzo (district leader for the 50th Assembly District which includes mostly Greenpoint and Williamsburg, and also a DSA member). I bolded those two names because they were the major representatives for either side that night, and things got quite heated at times between them.

The last county committee meeting was held in southern Canarsie, a reasonably long walk from the last stop on the L line. That meeting was reported on in the New York Times. I wasn't there, but I heard that there was about an hour's worth of screaming between NKD and county party people. This meeting was held in the Flatlands/Mill Basin/Bergen Beach area and was very far away from any subway station. As you might expect, that's intentional. But NKD members drove people to the meeting at an American Legion outpost. There was no schedule of the meeting given to the people that were coming there or how long it would take- all we knew was that there would be a panel about congestion pricing, a consideration of a rules change proposed by NKD about allowing the county committee to vote on who takes a vacant seat (which would prevent something like what happened in the 26th Senate district seat vacated by Dan Squadron again), and a Q&A session where county committee members could ask questions. The congestion pricing panel lasted for almost two hours, and while I was happy to see City Councilmember Daneek Miller voice my concerns about how there's no reason to believe the MTA will spend the additional money on necessary repairs and alternatives for transit deserts like the one he represents in Southeast Queens, it shouldn't have been that long.

The last hour or so was where things got interesting and moved me from thinking "I want to run for County Committee" to "I really want to run for County Committee." For starters, the proposed rule change was talked about for less than two minutes- they said they'd consider merging it with a similar proposal by the Central Brooklyn Independent Democrats (another reform-minded club) to make this a statewide policy. A good thing to do statewide, I think, but no further thought was given. The Q&A was about putting the Kings County Democratic Party establishment to task about dealing with Marty Golden and Jesse Hamilton. Seddio's response to Golden was that they can't make an endorsement in the Democratic primary there, which is a fairly standard procedure everywhere. However, he didn't even know who Ross Barkan was other than somebody in that two-person primary (he's a reporter for the Village Voice) and wrote off Bay Ridge as uniformly conservative (as a committee member later pointed out, this is changing). He was a lot dodgier about Hamilton- he basically said he's a Democrat so they shouldn't interfere with what he's doing. At some point, Rizzo got up and shouted about how the county party needs to care about its success more, before realizing he was out of line and sitting back down. Seddio responded by alluding to the last meeting and saying, "Nick, you've done it once again. You're a schmuck." A Hispanic committee member and Chaim Deutsch- City Councilmember for Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, and south Midwood- chastised Rizzo for his outburst while saying nothing about Seddio's outright insult.

The rest of the meeting was kind of uneventful- mostly people backing up the belief that the party isn't doing enough in these races. The person moderating the meeting did try to shame those people by saying that over 400 county committee members put their proxy votes to Seddio, only 70-something members showed up in person, and that we didn't know the history of the Kings County party because they have these meetings more frequently. Never mind that NKD's main goal is to make the county committee more active in these decisions and they were the reason why more meetings were held in the first place. After the meeting was adjourned, I saw Rizzo and Seddio talking to each other. I thought they were being loud but civil, but Seddio shouting "go gently caress yourself" several times to Rizzo put the lie to that belief. Apparently, Rizzo was confronting Seddio about who was the campaign manager of a particular campaign as a way of proving he doesn't know what he's doing. After the shouting, Rizzo said to somebody else that there's been no talk by them about Nicole Malliotakis's Democratic challenger, and outside, Seddio said that Rizzo is a "terrible, terrible person" and wanted "somebody Italian, Irish, or Jewish" to beat him in the primary for district leader... never mind that Rizzo is part Italian and part Jewish.

tl;dr: Went to a small, out of the way, but influential meeting of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, it was a poorly run shitshow complete with screaming, and it strengthened my resolve to run for the Party's county committee. If anyone here lives in Brooklyn and wants to join me, check out the info here and sign up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LONG TRIP REPORT: Last night I went with the New Kings Democrats to the semi-annual meeting of the Kings County Democratic Committee.

For those who don't know, NKD is a political club founded in 2009 by a group of Democrats that wanted to help about the Brooklyn party but were told by then-boss Vito Lopez to get lost. Their goal is to make the local Democratic party more transparent and more accountable by bringing as many people as possible onto the County Committee. As things stand now, much of the committee effectively concedes their decision making to the current party boss Frank Seddio, who's a step up from Lopez and has given in to some of the demands they've made, but is still trying to do what he can to maintain a grip on the party. Some of NKD's star pupils are Antonio Reynoso (NY city councilmember for Williamsburg and Greenpoint), Bobby Carroll (NY state assemblyman for Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, and Kensington- also the one that represents me), and Nick Rizzo (district leader for the 50th Assembly District which includes mostly Greenpoint and Williamsburg, and also a DSA member). I bolded those two names because they were the major representatives for either side that night, and things got quite heated at times between them.

The last county committee meeting was held in southern Canarsie, a reasonably long walk from the last stop on the L line. That meeting was reported on in the New York Times. I wasn't there, but I heard that there was about an hour's worth of screaming between NKD and county party people. This meeting was held in the Flatlands/Mill Basin/Bergen Beach area and was very far away from any subway station. As you might expect, that's intentional. But NKD members drove people to the meeting at an American Legion outpost. There was no schedule of the meeting given to the people that were coming there or how long it would take- all we knew was that there would be a panel about congestion pricing, a consideration of a rules change proposed by NKD about allowing the county committee to vote on who takes a vacant seat (which would prevent something like what happened in the 26th Senate district seat vacated by Dan Squadron again), and a Q&A session where county committee members could ask questions. The congestion pricing panel lasted for almost two hours, and while I was happy to see City Councilmember Daneek Miller voice my concerns about how there's no reason to believe the MTA will spend the additional money on necessary repairs and alternatives for transit deserts like the one he represents in Southeast Queens, it shouldn't have been that long.

The last hour or so was where things got interesting and moved me from thinking "I want to run for County Committee" to "I really want to run for County Committee." For starters, the proposed rule change was talked about for less than two minutes- they said they'd consider merging it with a similar proposal by the Central Brooklyn Independent Democrats (another reform-minded club) to make this a statewide policy. A good thing to do statewide, I think, but no further thought was given. The Q&A was about putting the Kings County Democratic Party establishment to task about dealing with Marty Golden and Jesse Hamilton. Seddio's response to Golden was that they can't make an endorsement in the Democratic primary there, which is a fairly standard procedure everywhere. However, he didn't even know who Ross Barkan was other than somebody in that two-person primary (he's a reporter for the Village Voice) and wrote off Bay Ridge as uniformly conservative (as a committee member later pointed out, this is changing). He was a lot dodgier about Hamilton- he basically said he's a Democrat so they shouldn't interfere with what he's doing. At some point, Rizzo got up and shouted about how the county party needs to care about its success more, before realizing he was out of line and sitting back down. Seddio responded by alluding to the last meeting and saying, "Nick, you've done it once again. You're a schmuck." A Hispanic committee member and Chaim Deutsch- City Councilmember for Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, and south Midwood- chastised Rizzo for his outburst while saying nothing about Seddio's outright insult.

The rest of the meeting was kind of uneventful- mostly people backing up the belief that the party isn't doing enough in these races. The person moderating the meeting did try to shame those people by saying that over 400 county committee members put their proxy votes to Seddio, only 70-something members showed up in person, and that we didn't know the history of the Kings County party because they have these meetings more frequently. Never mind that NKD's main goal is to make the county committee more active in these decisions and they were the reason why more meetings were held in the first place. After the meeting was adjourned, I saw Rizzo and Seddio talking to each other. I thought they were being loud but civil, but Seddio shouting "go gently caress yourself" several times to Rizzo put the lie to that belief. Apparently, Rizzo was confronting Seddio about who was the campaign manager of a particular campaign as a way of proving he doesn't know what he's doing. After the shouting, Rizzo said to somebody else that there's been no talk by them about Nicole Malliotakis's Democratic challenger, and outside, Seddio said that Rizzo is a "terrible, terrible person" and wanted "somebody Italian, Irish, or Jewish" to beat him in the primary for district leader... never mind that Rizzo is part Italian and part Jewish.

tl;dr: Went to a small, out of the way, but influential meeting of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, it was a poorly run shitshow complete with screaming, and it strengthened my resolve to run for the Party's county committee. If anyone here lives in Brooklyn and wants to join me, check out the info here and sign up.

Thanks for the front-line reporting!

Meanwhile, progress in Albany?!

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/956833574447181824

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A good start, next should be open primaries.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

you really can't overstate how awful new york's voting system is. if this actually passes it's an unabashed good. my dad never understood the use of registering as a democrat until he moved to NYC from NJ

meanwhile, i was dead wrong about Miner. she's running against Cuomo instead of Katko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for posting this! I signed up, and hell, I plan to run.