Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well how else would you dp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

well how else would you dp?

i'll give you a hint, it leads to a damaged hole

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i just swapped out my battery with the free replacement from dell, it looks like they sent me a refurbed one that is all used up :(

57,283 mWh / 83,995 mWh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hifi posted:

i have 1 dp and 1 hdmi and apparently thats what does it

oh so I have that to look forward to, that's nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

no, it's random even if you don't attach a microsoft account to your operation system

unless you're saying it'll try to sync, fail, and revert to the default, which actually sounds plausible

I was thinking more like it synced then you disabled sync, changed your desktop, and then when it updated and reenabled sync it synced the settings from before you changed your desktop.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

sync with what?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

sync with what?

I think he means OneDrive.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what if windows but installed on onedrive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows syncs settings w/ ur Microsoft account including things like desktop background and themes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Valeyard posted:

what if windows but installed on onedrive

Synception.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

sync with what?

if for some reason you signed into windows with a live id, it will by default, attempt to sync your preferences between all other devices signed in with that live id (phone too)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the xbone launched without properly supporting PAL for its HDMI input? that cannot be true. tell me that is mistaken

edit: lmao http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf proper support for pal is "none at all"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Linguica posted:

the xbone launched without properly supporting PAL for its HDMI input? that cannot be true. tell me that is mistaken

edit: lmao http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk
how is that any less believable than anything else that happened with the xbone, like requiring the kinect or announcing that they wouldn't support used discs until you paid to use them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember how fast they backtracked on that one?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the really low-end alpha systems sold for nt-only use were "value engineered" to death. they were just PCs with extremely expensive CPUs installed. i never saw these outside of like, swap meets.

the mid-range units could run unix or windows with a firmware flash. i have run across these from time to time. never running nt though

what about VMS?

I still think about getting an Alpha box to run Open Genera

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I still laugh thinking about how microsoft shot themselves in both feet repeatedly during the xbone launch window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so the dumb gamer blogs are celebrating that microsoft finally is taking first-party seriously.

but it seems they are getting the Forza studio to do it. it's way too early to celebrate until first party games actually start coming out of course.

but shouldn't it say something that they aren't getting another studio? like their number of studies is still way down. that's as big a deal as them cancelling titles.

microsoft's strategy has been like EA's. focus on billion dollar franchises and cut everything else loose. unfortunately that's left them with very few franchises and releases overall.

i've also been looking back at some old leaks and statements and wonder if microsoft is thinking of also adding OnLive-style streaming services, streaming boxes and possibly streaming apps on other consoles.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that phantom dust remake is totally coming out

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the xbox may be the last console you ever buy! it has cloud rendering so one xbox one = ten xbox ones!

and the first game to use this cloud tech will be Crackdown 3!

oops, we had to delay crackdown 3. in the meantime, are you interested in buying the next video game console?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

that phantom dust remake is totally coming out

it actually did come out as a f2p title

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Valeyard posted:

i just swapped out my battery with the free replacement from dell, it looks like they sent me a refurbed one that is all used up :(

57,283 mWh / 83,995 mWh

do any oems have a clear policy on what constitutes a hosed battery, like 'if your battery has x% or less of it's original capacity it's eligible for warranty replacement'?

it seems to be an area with a lot of weaseling.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

the xbox may be the last console you ever buy!

not seeing the problem

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

it actually did come out as a f2p title
that was a port of the original, people keep saying there's gong to be a remake

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
They cancelled it iirc. I think platinum was working on it? It was either them or the scalebound guys

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dodoman posted:

They cancelled it iirc. I think platinum was working on it? It was either them or the scalebound guys

scalebound was the platinum one [which oh look they just announced a new epic scale ps4 fantasy action rpg] the phantom dust remake was some small indie studio and the story is loving hilarious

quote:

Around early 2014, Microsoft had been evaluating its older software properties and determining which ones could be brought inexpensively to the new console. Darkside Game Studios, a small studio that had assisted in a number of large titles including the then-recent Sunset Overdrive but now looking to develop a title on its own, started discussions with Microsoft about taking the lead on one of these titles, which including Phantom Dust, Perfect Dark, and Battletoads. Darkside had been interested in the Battletoads but were told this was off the table, so instead started discussions about bringing a reboot of Phantom Dust to the new console.[9]

The two companies agreed in Q2 2014 for a $5 million budget to create a multiplayer-only version of Phantom Dust that would fit well into the growing eSports community, working under the codename "Babel" and targeting an August 2015 release.[9] Shortly after starting development, Microsoft asked Darkside to include a single-player campaign alongside the multiplayer element, but did not grant any additional funds or time. Darkside, not wanting to lose their opportunity with this title, decided to start creation on a vertical slice of a single-player campaign as to help convince Microsoft to provide the additional funds and time.[9] The Darkside opted to go with an art style that balanced realism vs cartoonish approach, describing it somewhere between that of 2008's Prince of Persia and Infamous Second Son.[9]

Microsoft formally announced this title during Electronic Entertainment Expo 2014.[10] According to former Darkside employees, this announcement was a surprise to them, and that none of the pre-rendered footage shown was work created by Darkside. Furthermore, the developers were under confidentiality agreements and could not state they were working on the title, nor was their name associated with the announcement. Darkside took this as a sign of concern from Microsoft that they would not be able to deliver.[9] They also feared that the rendered art, far different from what they had proposed, would set certain expectations in players' minds, and had to work to adjust to meet those new expectations.[9] Over the next several months, Microsoft continue to add more requests for the game and to help with the planned tie-in mobile title, according to Darkside employees, but they remained committed to the project, eventually moving all fifty of their staff onto the game.[9] Further difficulties arose when late in 2014, a key person in Microsoft who was committed to Phantom Dust left the company, and was never replaced, leading to some wavering support from Microsoft.[9]

By January 2015, Darkside had completed the promised vertical slide of the game, and according to Darkside, the feedback from Microsoft seemed very positive, giving praise to the studio.[9] With funding and schedule issues looming, the executives of Darkside flew out to meet Microsoft in mid-February 2015 to ask for more money to make the game that Microsoft was asking for, but Microsoft said no. Microsoft contacted Darkside on February 17, 2015 to formally cancel the project, and because they had put all their efforts into the game, the studio was forced to lay off all of its employees and close down.[9] It was estimated that about $2 million of the $5 million budget had been spent already at this point.[11] Microsoft publicly announced that they had ended their working relationship with the studio, though they still intended to produce the title.]

they re-released the original as f2p last year, which also went super smoothly

quote:

Adam Isgreen, creative director for Microsoft Studios, said that details about the re-release of Phantom Dust had been light as at the time of its announcement, they were still not clear how much they could improve upon the game, complicated by the fact that they did not have the complete final source code from Japan, requiring them to reverse engineer and hack into the original game's binaries to assure what steps they could take.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Father Jack posted:

do any oems have a clear policy on what constitutes a hosed battery, like 'if your battery has x% or less of it's original capacity it's eligible for warranty replacement'?

it seems to be an area with a lot of weaseling.

apple does. under 80% in 1 year is eligible for a warranty replacement. it might extend to under 80% for the length of applecare but idk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

what about VMS?

istr any machine eligible to run Unix is eligible to run VMS, but VMS has more limited hardware support

e.g. you may find peripheral cards that don’t work, or onboard graphics is busted unde VMS

eschaton posted:

I still think about getting an Alpha box to run Open Genera

I thought opengenera only worked on tru64, not vms

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Endless Mike posted:

apple does. under 80% in 1 year is eligible for a warranty replacement. it might extend to under 80% for the length of applecare but idk

it’s covered under AppleCare

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

istr any machine eligible to run Unix is eligible to run VMS, but VMS has more limited hardware support

e.g. you may find peripheral cards that don’t work, or onboard graphics is busted unde VMS

I thought opengenera only worked on tru64, not vms

yeah, it needs OSF/1 Digital Unix Tru64

if I did want to run VMS I’d get a cute little VAXstation/MicroVAX 2000 to do so

I still regret not picking one of each up at VCF West last year

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

the phantom dust remake was some small indie studio and the story is loving hilarious

i used to think that they'd sometimes tease games and then cancel them simply to generate hype for the platform. this story certainly reads like it. give a tiny studio a paltry budget, make completely unrealistic demands, announce extremely early into development, show a complete pre-rendered trailer, then cancel the game. total cost: $2 million + cost of pre-rendred trailer. seems comparable to a marketing expense.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

:phone: "hey, we want to feature your game at E3! "
:phoneb: "awesome, what kind of assets do you want us to put together for it, a trailer? a gameplay sample?"
:phone: "nah, it's cool, we got it just keep working"
:phoneb: "ok...."

$2 million is a drop in the bucket for them, like 0.6 of one superbowl ad. it's not like the 9 figgies they gave to mistwalker way back to make 2 jrpgs they knew would never recoup

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

:phone: "hey, we want to feature your game at E3! "
:phoneb: "awesome, what kind of assets do you want us to put together for it, a trailer? a gameplay sample?"
:phone: "nah, it's cool, we got it just keep working"
:phoneb: "ok...."

$2 million is a drop in the bucket for them, like 0.6 of one superbowl ad. it's not like the 9 figgies they gave to mistwalker way back to make 2 jrpgs they knew would never recoup
0.0008th of a minecraft

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'm having a hard time juggling the 2 broken Skype apps. 1 sometimes doesn't send you contact invite notifications, the other is made of electron.

anthonypants posted:

0.0008th of a minecraft

fat eighth though

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2018/01/22/xbox-one-nazi-group/

i have no idea how such groups work on xbox live, but lol?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2018/01/22/xbox-one-nazi-group/

i have no idea how such groups work on xbox live, but lol?

theres probably some clan functionality built into xbox live or whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

theres probably some klan functionality built into xbox live or whatever

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

are they all verified by MS? or have they just failed to ban this particular nazi one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

theres probably some clan functionality built into xbox live or whatever
that's basically what it is