Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Pros: Infantry without fire resistant armor that end their turn in a burning hex are BBQ'd.
Cons: Smoke everywhere, and the only BA without jump jets has fire resistant armor so they don't care.

IIRC that's checked in the end phase. So it's entirely possible to let the ACE elementals move and then target their hex to set it on fire while they're in it. Notably for the people with plasma weapons. And even if you can't see them, you can probably make some reasonable guesses as to where they most likely went and light those hexes up. Force them into the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

paragon1 posted:

Any thoughts on where we want to go and target priority from my lance mates? I imagine this first turn will be mostly movement, so now would be a good time to strategize.
I think we should move forward as a group to stay under the ECM/BAP umbrella on the Dragoon (me). If things come into view we can focus fire on it and try to rotate anyone getting shot too much out of view or into forests.

I am thinking I will just move the Dragoon straight forward up to 0427 and turn to face 0527.

thetruegentleman posted:

Anyway, feels better to try and hit the Elementals themselves, even at long odds. And come to think of it, there's also the risk that setting things on fire might also screw with other player's plans.
We could move in the direction to try to get eyes on them, but as stated just up the page they are currently out of our sightlines because of the tree cover. What do you mean by fire might also screw with other player's plans? If we decide to light a fire we can plan around that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Looks like both Nyxes can get in position (0824 and 1027) to light up two hexes each of the woods around the Ironholds on this turn.

I think the Wolverine and Dragoon II can also get shots on some of the woods hexes, but I am less certain about their LoS.

The fire would force the Ironholds in to the open, but, basically you're just trading woods cover for smoke cover. To be clear, that's a good trade, because smoke doesn't have the movement penalty woods do, which gives your light mech BA murder machines an easier time swooping in to dump damage on them.

Ironholds are too slow to get to the other patch of woods before enough player machines will be in position to start unloading damage on them. (Just remember, these BA are all aces, don't end your turn inside 2 hexes of them, or 3 for the Elementals.).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

Ironholds are too slow to get to the other patch of woods before enough player machines will be in position to start unloading damage on them. (Just remember, these BA are all aces, don't end your turn inside 2 hexes of them, or 3 for the Elementals.).
(Unless the Dragoon is also within that radius (right, since my pilot negates Aces?))

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The sheet for your character only mentions enemy Mechs!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

The sheet for your character only mentions enemy Mechs!
:randstare:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Elementals (and infantry) have to be ACEs or I can't field them at all can only field Fire Ironholds.

On the plus side, the assault-weight suits like the Ironhold and Golem are too heavy to make anti-'Mech attacks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm gonna move my mechs north and use my Nyx at 0824 to light up the woods at 1218 and 1219. Parking the Gurkha at 0826 to take a potshot with its PPC as it closes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Coordination doc link again for new page/new turn
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15-Wzf4bGRlQXfdhp_NyHd3M0Tr9UGjDSHXldaCfY1_4/edit?usp=sharing

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about the mismatch. The goons have had larger mismatches, such as in Jeronimo: Breakout and still managed to win. Poptarts probably won't go easy on us, but he isn't going to make a scenario unwinnable either.

Air Raid had some really nasty odds on getting everyone out, and Konpei Island was almost 3:1, although both missions had objectives that weren't total victory.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Getting out of Air Raid without devastating losses qualified as a minor miracle in all religions both in and out of universe. If there were ever a mission where PTN's dice paid us back what it owed us for all the others, it was probably that one.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zaodai posted:

Getting out of Air Raid without devastating losses qualified as a minor miracle in all religions both in and out of universe. If there were ever a mission where PTN's dice paid us back what it owed us for all the others, it was probably that one.

the Demon Hawks campaign in general was a huge success -- I wanna say it was something like one pilot and five or six mechs lost compared to 2500 enemy tons

and the mechs they lost were either massively upgraded or repaired free of charge. Assuming they get out of Andurien OK they'll be set for quite a while

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Even the pilot loss was epic: it took a direct hit from an Arrow IV missile on an ejected pilot to kill a Demon Hawk.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pattonesque posted:

the Demon Hawks campaign in general was a huge success -- I wanna say it was something like one pilot and five or six mechs lost compared to 2500 enemy tons

and the mechs they lost were either massively upgraded or repaired free of charge. Assuming they get out of Andurien OK they'll be set for quite a while

Yeah the Lotuses I ended up losing became something real good. Glad I didn't get either of my pilots killed. I will not forget you COOTS and IRIS

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

Most of us are preconditioned to no longer set anything ablaze as there was a point (presumably years ago) where you made it quite explicit that setting things on fire was not going to be tracked and they wouldn't spread, etc, specifically to keep people from needlessly attempting to set things on fire.

I think that was in the aftermath of the Steiner Rules duel when Muk started lighting fires everywhere prior to the melee combat. Still, it led to a great thread joke and ascended into thread lore.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

GhostStalker posted:

I think that was in the aftermath of the Steiner Rules duel when Muk started lighting fires everywhere prior to the melee combat. Still, it led to a great thread joke and ascended into thread lore.

I apologize for nothing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mukaikubo posted:

I apologize for nothing.

You have nothing to apologize for.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Trying to get everyone together... BTW, paragon has a very nice sheet up which I think we should use. I was hoping we could use chat a bit more so that we don't bog down the thread with a dozen different posts and strategize, but eh...

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm gonna move my mechs north and use my Nyx at 0824 to light up the woods at 1218 and 1219. Parking the Gurkha at 0826 to take a potshot with its PPC as it closes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think we should move forward as a group to stay under the ECM/BAP umbrella on the Dragoon (me). If things come into view we can focus fire on it and try to rotate anyone getting shot too much out of view or into forests.

I am thinking I will just move the Dragoon straight forward up to 0427 and turn to face 0527.

We could move in the direction to try to get eyes on them, but as stated just up the page they are currently out of our sightlines because of the tree cover. What do you mean by fire might also screw with other player's plans? If we decide to light a fire we can plan around that.

paragon1 posted:

Any thoughts on where we want to go and target priority from my lance mates? I imagine this first turn will be mostly movement, so now would be a good time to strategize.

I think I could run to 0326, and turn facing 0425. Could I take a potshot at 1418 with my Large R-e Laser? I won't hit, but let's see the bastards dance. What's an R-e Laser anyway?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Re-Engineered Laser. Bigger, heavier, higher heat, but it does more damage and ignores all specialty armors (including Hardened and Ferro-Lamellor). It also gets a -1 to hit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Zaodai posted:

My general impression is PTNs dice actually slightly like us, just going by for example the number of headcaps against enemies versus friendlies divided by number of hits.

IIRC its been several missions since any PC died from a headcap, while several enemies have.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The dice giveth, and the dice taketh away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RA Rx posted:

My general impression is PTNs dice actually slightly like us, just going by for example the number of headcaps against enemies versus friendlies divided by number of hits.

IIRC its been several missions since any PC died from a headcap, while several enemies have.
You realize that this statement virtually guarantees the death of Captain Serena Brannigan...

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah the Lotuses I ended up losing became something real good. Glad I didn't get either of my pilots killed. I will not forget you COOTS and IRIS

COOTS and IRIS together forever in my heart.

And Muk should apologize to all those nice trees he sacrificed for mere world shaking bad assness! :argh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It looks like a goon named "Sair" has replaced Keru, but I do not see any posts by them in the past few pages.

Have we heard from @chktshadeclaw (Black Watch) or @Cascade Jones (Wolverine II) recently? I do not see any input on THE DOC https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15-Wzf4bGRlQXfdhp_NyHd3M0Tr9UGjDSHXldaCfY1_4/edit#gid=0

@PTN do you prefer orders via email or PM, I can do either. edit: Actually I dont have an email address for you so it looks like it will be PM :v:

Unless someone thinks its a really bad idea I will be moving the Dragoon forward, running, to 0427 then turn to face 0527.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Looks good. What're we going for? Defiance is setting fire to the forest in front of us, I'm running around the forest to try and get some shots off at the Battle Armor.

We're closing on them? Engage at medium range? Have the long-rangers drop maybe one or two rounds on them, but not to waste ammo. And then we make for the bottleneck? I'll step up, try to get them to attack us, we take them apart as they charge us.

Shame we don't have any mines that we can seed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

It looks like a goon named "Sair" has replaced Keru, but I do not see any posts by them in the past few pages.

Keru passed so the first alternate was automatically called up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

painedforever posted:

Trying to get everyone together... BTW, paragon has a very nice sheet up which I think we should use.

Gwaihir put up the sheet actually.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Keru passed so the first alternate was automatically called up.
Right, I saw Keru's post, I was just stating it in the thread hoping he would speak up :)

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

You realize that this statement virtually guarantees the death of Captain Serena Brannigan...

She'll be fiiiine, there's only 5 enemy headcapper weapons on the field. What's the worst that could happen? :)

It won't happen with the NRWR in charge!
I hope...

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 24, 2018

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

You have nothing to apologize for.

Well, there are those few contractions that slipped through over the years...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

The reason I banned fire wasn't because I don't want fire, it's because for two years the only fires anyone ever wanted to start were in their own deployment zone. :v:

okay but what about construction cranes?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Amhazair posted:

Well, there are those few contractions that slipped through over the years...

True, and I've called them on it when they slipped up in other threads that I saw them in, but more as a joke as I doubt that restriction holds in a thread outside of this one.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I'm around, I just don't post much. Gonna be starting fires with DI.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

paragon1 posted:

Gwaihir put up the sheet actually.

Hell, I'm sorry. Difficult to tell, since I've been accessing the sheet from my own Google Drive, and the name on it isn't Gwaihir...

Anyway, 4 hours to order submission time. PTN, did you receive my email with questions? If you did and haven't been able to reply, that's okay, I just want to know if you'd be able to get the orders I'll be sending.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can't check e-mails at work, it's why I much prefer PMs.

Edit: I won't be able to check your question for another half-hour at least, but I'll get to it as quickly as I can.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 24, 2018

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
PTN, I just sent you orders; dunno if you got my email Sunday that I can’t participate and have to bow out, but I didn’t want to be the guy who didn’t move in Turn 1.
Good luck, GoonLance!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cascade Jones posted:

PTN, I just sent you orders; dunno if you got my email Sunday that I can’t participate and have to bow out, but I didn’t want to be the guy who didn’t move in Turn 1.
Good luck, GoonLance!

Thank you, I had missed your e-mail.

Congratulations, by the way!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't check e-mails at work, it's why I much prefer PMs.

Edit: I won't be able to check your question for another half-hour at least, but I'll get to it as quickly as I can.

Well, as I threatened to do, I've gone ahead, loosened the ol' purse-strings and bought PMs. So expect my orders to be via PM. I figured that would be the polite thing to do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just sent my orders because I was waiting to see if PTN wanted orders via email or PM - they have been sent via PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of the players was having difficulty telling apart the heavy vs. light woods (understandable, the graphics for it on this map pack aren't great).

They'll now be clearly differentiated.

Edit: the dice have decided Circe's woods are quite agile.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread